Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's not managed since 2019 and was dated even then. The man's a dinosaur.
Was he? There was nothing dinosaur about his style of play compared to Gerrard. Hes not some same Alardyce type of manager.

Moyes was seen to be a dinosaur before the West Ham gig.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's not only absolute scum of a human being but one of the worst managers I remember with such a high ego. He's got a really quality team, playing some SPL kind of footy, Should retire for his own good but no doubt he will get another chance because of his name.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Why would Poch go to Villa? I don't rate him much but he could do better.
Would be a good move by Villa, perfect manager to lift them up and play some progressive football, they have good players for that as well. It's just a miracle to see how shite they can be with such solid team.

LawmanMan

Was he? There was nothing dinosaur about his style of play compared to Gerrard. Hes not some same Alardyce type of manager.

Moyes was seen to be a dinosaur before the West Ham gig.
O’Neill is nothing without Steve Robertson. Robertson has retired from coaching and everywhere since Martin has been hopeless. It’s like Clough without Peter Taylor.

Moyes has never relied on any one assistant and is very studious. That allowed him to bounce back when he got a decent job.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I look at their line up at times and think he must be some kind of moron. It is completely unbalanced basically every game. Who was meant to be stretching the play today? Where’s the pace? Where’s the width. Why do they always have about twenty number 10’s on the pitch ?
Don't laugh, this was the average positions today:

avgp_1

I look at their line up at times and think he must be some kind of moron. It is completely unbalanced basically every game. Who was meant to be stretching the play today? Where’s the pace? Where’s the width. Why do they always have about twenty number 10’s on the pitch ?
They played Bailey against Palace but he has not done enough. Need to give him more opportunities from the start

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I watch most Villa games and I completely agree. Digne and Cash are supposed to provide the width, but it just isn’t working. McGinn, Ramsey, Coutinho/Buendia and one/two of Ings and Watkins is madness.

You surely have to play Coutinho left, Bailey on the right and one of Ramsey or Buendia behind a striker. Or even Watkins playing on a wing. Anything but this current system, which is horrible to watch.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Could they intice Poch?

Hughes, big Sam, Rafa, Biesla?

Return of O'Neil?

alexthelion

This could be made into a thread but I always wonder why England's Golden Generation players seem to be terrible managers. Neville, Lampard and now Gerrard. Maybe they were pundits and get protected too much from their media friends so become very self-entitled and cocky.
They should have started at the bottom and built experience before trying for a Premiership (or La Liga) managership.

Aiming too high, too soon.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He will be sacked and he will somehow land himself another Premier League job before the season finishes.

Acole9

Outstanding
This is ruining my dream of him being invited to Klopp's house when he decides to call it a day and informs him that he will be the next manager of Liverpool and it all goes to shit :D.

Ace_Ventura

Gerrard showing his political affiliations in a very subtle manner with that graph.

redshaw

Shame he can't just bring on Coutinho to change the game each time.

Drz

This could be made into a thread but I always wonder why England's Golden Generation players seem to be terrible managers. Neville, Lampard and now Gerrard. Maybe they were pundits and get protected too much from their media friends so become very self-entitled and cocky.
I don't quite understand why they don't go get continental experience, or go work for a reputed continental coach as assistant, I often get the impression these guys feel they are already good enough with little more to learn.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Lampard started off ok at Derby, and if he had stayed with them for a few more seasons, then he would have learnt a lot, but moved to Chelsea too quickly.
Rooney seems to have his head right about management, did well at Derby I thought, and moved to a struggling team in the MLS, let's see what he does there.

Tarrou

I'm gutted

We're never going to see him at Liverpool are we?

I feel like the world is owed the memes that will come out of that situation

jesperjaap

Second season syndrome indeed.

Never followed but he seemed to do well at Rangers, then again I would and look what they have done since. Thought he did ok last year and I actually thoguht they would do well this season as he made a couple fo good signings, who will need time to bed in though, so in the respect a poor start not a huge surprise.

What has surprised me though is despite havign some good players, the look completly disorganised, nobody seems to know there roles, they are almost like 7year olds football with several players around the ball and nobody in space. The line up simply isnt working, seems a case of not playing the best players but the best team is needed, wonder if his god like status as a player is fading in the dressign room as a manager as the body language doesnt look good from him or some of the players

Member 125398

I'm no ITK but a Brummie mate of mine heard that he's taken over the pre-match music in the dressing room and it's caused some real morale problems.

GlasgowCeltic

hopefully Mings or someone misses a pen on purpose to make sure he's sacked, two can play at that game eh Stevie

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't quite understand why they don't go get continental experience, or go work for a reputed continental coach as assistant, I often get the impression these guys feel they are already good enough with little more to learn.
This is what Vieira did and he looks the most surefooted manager of the lot.

I don't know if it's arrogance or delusion or what. The media also blows smoke up their arses at every turn.

philnguyen1994

Carrick sort of did. Unfortunately for him, his 'reputed continental coach' (Mourinho) ended up being replaced by the Molde manager by Christmas and he probably wasted 3 years of development as a young coach.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I gave him credit for his Rangers stint. He turned around a club going nowhere but GVB has taken them to another level - even without winning the league.
He’s got a worser record there than what Tim Sherwood & Remi Garde had.
Didn't realise it was that bad. fecking hell

phelans shorts

Second season syndrome indeed.

Never followed but he seemed to do well at Rangers, then again I would and look what they have done since. Thought he did ok last year and I actually thoguht they would do well this season as he made a couple fo good signings, who will need time to bed in though, so in the respect a poor start not a huge surprise.
I’m not sure you can call it second season syndrome, I think you just missed the second half of last season or the total lack of coverage it got meant it was overlooked. They won a few with the new manager bounce but they were horrific at the end of the season. This one is just a continuation of that.

Drz

This is what Vieira did and he looks the most surefooted manager of the lot.

I don't know if it's arrogance or delusion or what. The media also blows smoke up their arses at every turn.
Viera and arguably Arteta too.
Zidane was second to Ancelotti too, wasn't he?

Another factor I feel that is crucial is constituting a backroom staff you trust and that is also complementary to your weaknesses if the end goal is to be a top manager.
If I had the ambition of becoming a head coach, I'd travel the world to learn different tactical approaches and to create a network of coaches I'd like to work with if I got the top job (so with my limited knowledge: defensive coaches from Italy, tactical innovators from Holland, nutritionists from France, fitness experts from the US, "grinta" types from Latin America, freestylers from Portugal?, man-management from Fergie).

Drz

Carrick sort of did. Unfortunately for him, his 'reputed continental coach' (Mourinho) ended up being replaced by the Molde manager by Christmas and he probably wasted 3 years of development as a young coach.
I don't feel it's 3 years wasted, given Carrick's age. And I have always thought you can learn from your own mistakes as much as you can from others', so if Carrick can just remember what "not to do" from his time with Mourinho and Ole, it will also stand him in good stead.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'm no ITK but a Brummie mate of mine heard that he's taken over the pre-match music in the dressing room and it's caused some real morale problems.
If this is a joke it’s a good one. Fair play. But… Are you actually being serious?!

Member 125398

If this is a joke it’s a good one. Fair play. But… Are you actually being serious?!
Of course, the only real detail I have is that he tries to slip on at least one Phil Collins hit before each game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If you're Vila surely you go big on Poch, and if he's not up for it go for Potter.

What he's doing at Brighton is incredible