g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Steven Gerrard Retires

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not really, just a Liverpool fan backing our player on a rival forum where most don't give him any credit - it just seemed a bit odd saying you had travelled the world and supposedly asked a lot of people about Gerrard.

How do you know he is a bellend? Have you met him?
You really feel that most here don't give him credit? Read the thread again. Most have said that he was a great player, many even that he was world class at his best. The only critisism is regarding his persona. So it's complete bs that posters here don't give him credit. Unless you're saying that we should give him credit as a person.

Last edited:

Dobbs

Being an egotistical, violent twunt who more than once tried to break our players' legs and spout all sorts of bs towards Utd?
This is the worst part of football. It stirs up so much ill will and irrational hatred. He's just a footballer.

You want him to be haunted for the rest of his life. Deary me.

InfiniteBoredom

This is the worst part of football. It stirs up so much ill will and irrational hatred. He's just a footballer.

You want him to be haunted for the rest of his life. Deary me.
Well he himself has said as much. So me wanting it doesn't really change anything does it?

Karma always finds you is the lesson I suppose.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

not deliberate?
I don't think so - you could look at countless such events and question them.
At the end of the day you have to control your own destiny - I am sure there have been turning points when United won titles.

You can't rely on others.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
You really feel that most here don't give him credit? Read the thread again. Most have said that he was a great player, many even that he was world class at his best. The only critisism is regarding his persona. So it's complete bs that posters here don't give him credit. Unless you're saying that we should give him credit as a person.
Okay maybe credit was the wrong word - it is more the fact people are calling him egotistical, a cnut, twat etc - when they never met the bloke.

All I can go off is what he did on the pitch, I have never met him either. I don't know what he is like as a bloke, so don't see how others can.

top1whoisman

Scout
Okay maybe credit was the wrong word - it is more the fact people are calling him egotistical, a cnut, twat etc - when they never met the bloke.

All I can go off is what he did on the pitch, I have never met him either. I don't know what he is like as a bloke, so don't see how others can.
Well to be fair, he did act egotistic, cnuttish and twattish on the pitch… ;) Guess beating a DJ doesn’t help re: people’s view.

top1whoisman

Scout
How can he be egotistic on the pitch?
Well, getting sent off within 38 seconds left his teammates in trouble, trying to score the winner/equalizer himself (from 40 yards, countless of times) instead of opening his eyes and passing to teammates in better positions. Don't know if it's egotistic or just plain selfish. His pathetic camera-aware teamtalks etc. were pathetic, too.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Well, getting sent off within 38 seconds left his teammates in trouble, trying to score the winner/equalizer himself (from 40 yards, countless of times) instead of opening his eyes and passing to teammates in better positions. Don't know if it's egotistic or just plain selfish. His pathetic camera-aware teamtalks etc. were pathetic, too.
Well if SKY are going to barge into a teamtalk that's hardly his fault. Maybe the trying to score the winner comment is because that's what he did on so many occasions and got us out of so many difficult situations.
West Ham FA Cup final, Olympiakos and so many more - possibly because the players around him a lot of the time weren't on his level. True a lot of the time it did look like he was trying to do everything - that's mainly because he had to, nobody else (Torres/Alonso/Suarez times aside), had that star quality.
If that's egotistic, jeez there would be a lot of teams who wouldn't mind a bit of that.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well if SKY are going to barge into a teamtalk that's hardly his fault. Maybe the trying to score the winner comment is because that's what he did on so many occasions and got us out of so many difficult situations.
West Ham FA Cup final, Olympiakos and so many more - possibly because the players around him a lot of the time weren't on his level. True a lot of the time it did look like he was trying to do everything - that's mainly because he had to, nobody else (Torres/Alonso/Suarez times aside), had that star quality.
If that's egotistic, jeez there would be a lot of teams who wouldn't mind a bit of that.
I can understand you seeing it that way being a Liverpool fan. If Rooney, at his current state, would prevent us from late winners/equalizers by trying to do it all on his own, he’s rightly get criticised by United fans (although he gets that regardless, often for a reason though). IIRC RAWK used to him him a lot of shit for that during his last few seasons. And well, we can disagree on which was there first; Stevie Me’s pretentious tears and pep talk or SKY cameras...

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I can understand you seeing it that way being a Liverpool fan. If Rooney, at his current state, would prevent us from late winners/equalizers by trying to do it all on his own, he’s rightly get criticised by United fans (although he gets that regardless, often for a reason though). IIRC RAWK used to him him a lot of shit for that during his last few seasons. And well, we can disagree on which was there first; Stevie Me’s pretentious tears and pep talk or SKY cameras...
The difference is Gerrard carried us almost on his own, Istanbul and the lead up to that. He almost single handedly got us to that final and led the comeback to lift the trophy too.
He has been an inspirational captain, if that means he is a little selfish too I can handle that.

Rooney has played in better teams, Gerrard has had to do it on his own because there hasn't been anyone else with the ability to. The West Ham cup final is a prime example.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

He also has an off the pitch life which is known to the public, when he showed himself exactly as we now think of him.

Not to say that he is the worst human being ever - we have our own Giggs, for example, but there is enough info to judge him as a human being too. Plus a lot of your true nature shows on the pitch

top1whoisman

Scout
He also has an off the pitch life which is known to the public, when he showed himself exactly as we now think of him.

Not to say that he is the worst human being ever - we have our own Giggs, for example, but there is enough info to judge him as a human being too. Plus a lot of your true nature shows on the pitch
Absolutely, and therefore rightfully, again, we all love Giggsy for his career but a lot of us despise him for his behavior towards his wife and family. It's possible to be honest while a fan, you know.

Dobbs

Along with the Moyes thread this brings out the inner crazy.

If I didn't know some of you guys were talking about Gerrard I'd guess you were describing some sort of brutal dictator. Not a footballer.

Talk about over the top criticism.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He turned me into a newt!

TheReligion

Abusive
Good player in general. Great player for Liverpool. Should have left like Mascherano and Alonso for the benefit of his career and legacy.

Must look back on his time and think 'what if'. Sad really.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
"Gerrard, 38, still keeps in touch with some of his old team-mates and says "the door is open" to any Liverpool player who wants to chat about his experiences of title run-ins."

I would imagine they will be steering well clear of that Stevie.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Most important thing is to dare - to dream, that is. And not let that dream slip. But if it does - and it probably will - you go again. And again. And again, la.

I've also made a rousing video montage (available on VHS, Big Phil soundtrack in stereo) showing me going (again), daring, dreaming, slipping (occasionally) and - again - going (again).

RochaRoja

Did anyone here watch the Amazon documentary of him?

I always knew he was a negative, miserable man but was shocked by exactly how negative and miserable he really is.

Red Star One

Did anyone here watch the Amazon documentary of him?

I always knew he was a negative, miserable man but was shocked by exactly how negative and miserable he really is.
Dare to elaborate a bit? I dislike him enough not to watch his document :D

Josh 76

"Gerrard, 38, still keeps in touch with some of his old team-mates and says "the door is open" to any Liverpool player who wants to chat about his experiences of title run-ins."

Experiences of title run-ins? Fecking hell has he had any?. :lol:

Josh 76

The difference is Gerrard carried us almost on his own, Istanbul and the lead up to that. He almost single handedly got us to that final and led the comeback to lift the trophy too.
He has been an inspirational captain, if that means he is a little selfish too I can handle that.

Rooney has played in better teams, Gerrard has had to do it on his own because there hasn't been anyone else with the ability to. The West Ham cup final is a prime example.
The biggest myth in football. Steven Gerrard carried you to the final. A 25 yard goal against Olympiokos and a wank from Andy Gray all it was. It was Benitez parking the bus that got you to the final.

Djemba-Djemba

His final 12 months or so as a Liverpool player were so brilliant.

The Slip, Crystanbul, Sent off against Utd in 38 seconds, loses 3-1 in final game at Anfield to Crystal Palace, loses 6-1 at Stoke in final game for Liverpool.

A farewell worthy of the man.

dmode

Credit must be given where it is due... Gerrard was an awesome player, but played in a corrupted team.

That back pass to Drogba bit him and his team back, it's Karma!

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
The real life Roy of the Rover in my opinion.

Had two incredible years in 2005 and 2006 and hard to believe after that he would only win the League Cup against a Cardiff side in the Championship.

Understandably United fans on here don't like him but he was some player. The best I saw in the Liverpool shirt. He won it all basically bar one.

He also scored in big games including being the only person to score in League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League and UEFA Cup finals. Legend.

beedoubleyou

His final 12 months or so as a Liverpool player were so brilliant.

The Slip, Crystanbul, Sent off against Utd in 38 seconds, loses 3-1 in final game at Anfield to Crystal Palace, loses 6-1 at Stoke in final game for Liverpool.

A farewell worthy of the man.
It reads like a fairy tale :drool:

clarkydaz

"This wound's been open since my experience [in 2014]," said Gerrard.

"I hope Liverpool [win] but it won't make my wound feel any different."
pathetic twat :lol:. Scouse legend pities himself

Eric7C

This explains Liverpool's recent general slippiness.