Steven Gerrard Retires

InfiniteBoredom

I think how hated he is by Utd and Chelsea's fans is testament to how good he was as a player.

Utter bellend as a person though, and the slip will haunt him for the rest of his days. Serves him right.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I think how hated he is by Utd and Chelsea's fans is testament to how good he was as a player.

Utter bellend as a person though, and the slip will haunt him for the rest of his days. Serves him right.
Do Chelsea fans really hate him? If so, why? Because he didn’t sign for them? Because he assisted them winning a title?

InfiniteBoredom

Do Chelsea fans really hate him? If so, why? Because he didn’t sign for them? Because he assisted them winning a title?
That's the general impression I got from travelling to different parts of the world thus far. Only Utd and Chelsea fans really revel in his misfortunes. The others were kinda blasé about it, many wish they have one like him in the team.

Guess him not signing for them and coming out with the loyalty bollix was a factor.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Nah. Plenty of players have been very good and played for the rivals without being so disliked. Stevie is a special case, perhaps cause his only proper medal in life came after diving for the draw or maybe because he's simply an unlikable bastard.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As a kid, in the late 90's/early-mid 00's, I was a fan of Gerrard's and would've loved him here. The player that is; not the guy. I used to always debate with my friends who was better - Gerrard or Lampard. Back then I couldn't outright say who was better as I thought they were equal but honestly preferred Gerrard. Now I'd say Lampard but it's still close, in my opinion. I still toss back and forward between the two.

Though I'll always consider him a top player unlike some, I'm chuffed that he never got his league medal and will remember him more for the slip and his sending off in his last game against us after 10 seconds more than his actual talent as a player.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Genuine question. Can someone show an example of a world class performance by Gerrard? I looked at the highlights from the CL Final 2005 because that's an often cited example, but the only notable events with him seemed to be his header and the penalty dive. I'm aware highlights only show so much, however.

Omar Little

I wouldn't read too much into those comments, he also said Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and Cantona were the only world class players he ever managed. Which is obviously bullshit and contradicts the numerous times he described Keane, Giggs, Schemeichel, Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Van Nistelrooy, RVP, VDS, Evra, Irwin etc etc. as world class players over the years.

We can hate Gerrard all we want, and i think he's a tosser. But he was a top player for a long time. He wasn't the best around, certainly not in central midfield but he was a brilliant player and one of the best in the PL era.
Yep. That about sums it up.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Gerrard has not even won ONE Premier League and he doesn't even begin with the likes of Paul Scholes .

Gerrard = Nothing to write home about this slippery fella.

montpelier

I thought he was pretty good but not a super intelligent controller of a match by any means. In a very good team he wouldn't be the central figure but would add a lot to the team, either attacking from MF or from out wide & as a scoring threat. Bit of a contradiction in there maybe.

Fantastic shooting, scored a lot of sensational goals. Turned up in the big games as well.

And a bellend.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
That's the general impression I got from travelling to different parts of the world thus far. Only Utd and Chelsea fans really revel in his misfortunes. The others were kinda blasé about it, many wish they have one like him in the team.
So you have travelled to different parts of the world and spoken to many fans about Gerrard?
Do you have some sort of club to club dossier on him?
What do PSG, Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg fans think of him?

This is like Gerrard travels as opposed to Gulliver's travels....

I am off to Disney World next year I will ask Goofy, Donald Duck and chuffin Mickey Mouse.
May get more sensible responses actually.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Gerrards early game weighted heavily on physicality, as he got older he had tried to adapt his game in a similar manner as Scholes had done, just somewhat less successfully. Much like Rooney it would be best to judge him more by his early career, when hes hard to argue he was a superb footballer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Genuine question. Can someone show an example of a world class performance by Gerrard? I looked at the highlights from the CL Final 2005 because that's an often cited example, but the only notable events with him seemed to be his header and the penalty dive. I'm aware highlights only show so much, however.

InfiniteBoredom

So you have travelled to different parts of the world and spoken to many fans about Gerrard?
Do you have some sort of club to club dossier on him?
What do PSG, Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg fans think of him?

This is like Gerrard travels as opposed to Gulliver's travels....

I am off to Disney World next year I will ask Goofy, Donald Duck and chuffin Mickey Mouse.
I've been to about 12 countries so far during the course of my study and recreational travel. I don't actively sought out opinion on Stevie Me, but you can chat with plenty of people in pubs. Utd and Liverpool do come up in those conversations. Beyond that, football boards and fan pages do exist.

You seem to be particularly touchy about this for some reasons I'm struggling to fathom.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I've been to about 12 countries so far during the course of my study and recreational travel. I don't actively sought out opinion on Stevie Me, but you can chat with plenty of people in pubs. Utd and Liverpool do come up in those conversations. Beyond that, football boards and fan pages do exist.

You seem to be particularly touchy about this for some reasons I'm struggling to fathom.
Not really, just a Liverpool fan backing our player on a rival forum where most don't give him any credit - it just seemed a bit odd saying you had travelled the world and supposedly asked a lot of people about Gerrard.

How do you know he is a bellend? Have you met him?

Dobbs

The venom. What's he done that's so bad he deserves to be haunted for the rest of his days?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I asked them last year. They wondered if that was the guy that twatted a DJ because he wouldn't play Phil Collins.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Being an egotistical, violent twunt who more than once tried to break our players' legs and spout all sorts of bs towards Utd?
When did he try to break any of your players legs? (cough cough Roy Keane....)

How do you know he is egotistical, did you meet him in a pub? or did you ask El Hadji Diouf?

InfiniteBoredom

When did he try to break any of your players legs? (cough cough Roy Keane....)

How do you know he is egotistical, did you meet him in a pub? or did you ask El Hadji Diouf?
Carrick in the FA Cup 2011, Herrera in his last derby the two most recent examples.

And the rest... :lol:. Sure, he's an angel alright. 'We don't fecking let this slip now' eh? That 2nd half against Chelsea was a captain's performance alright.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Carrick in the FA Cup 2011, Herrera in his last derby the two most recent examples.
Get a grip, Liverpool V United the tackles always fly in, from both sides.

How do you know he is egotistical - please ask your pub mates next time you are off on your travels.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
He was above average, but he was also the living embodiment of the scousers. Now he is gone, I am a bit worried they may actually start to win stuff.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Do you want him back at the club?
I think he could be useful working at the academy with some of the younger players, provided Klopp is happy about it, don't see any reason why not.
There are not enough young local players coming through, they would look up to him.

I don't think going straight into management is right, he need experience and at a reserve or youth team level I think it would be good for him.

I would rather he did something like that than be sat in the studio as a pundit.

InfiniteBoredom

Get a grip, Liverpool V United the tackles always fly in, from both sides.

How do you know he is egotistical - please ask your pub mates next time you are off on your travels.
Tackles flying in :rolleyes:. Mate, I've only named the two that he was caught red handed on the spot. He was a snide little cvnt who always tried to injure our players at Anfield because refs let you get away with it most of the time. Although to be fair to him, he wasn't the only one. His mate Jamie did plenty of hacking himself.

As for my travel, I think I've known sufficiently about your Stevie G, I'll spend my time on something more enjoyable :lol:

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Tackles flying in :rolleyes:. Mate, I've only named the two that he was caught red handed on the spot. He was a snide little cvnt who always tried to injure our players at Anfield because refs let you get away with it most of the time. Although to be fair to him, he wasn't the only one. His mate Jamie did plenty of hacking himself.

As for my travel, I think I've known sufficiently about your Stevie G, I'll spend my time on something more enjoyable :lol:
Mate United and Liverpool - fierce rivalry, physical challenges from both sides.
United have hardly been angels when playing us - that's what rivalry is about. It's part of what those games are about.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
So long and thanks for all the slip.

There's the Newcastle "luv it" one where the they crumbled, the Aguerooo goal that pinched the league from us but I think liverpools collapse is the big one in terms of football heart breaks in the EPL. The after shock was huge.Nearly 30 years waiting for that coveted league title,on course only for your leader to slip and the 3-3 draw to have it snatched from you.

InfiniteBoredom

Mate United and Liverpool - fierce rivalry, physical challenges from both sides.
United have hardly been angels when playing us - that's what rivalry is about. It's part of what those games are about.
There's a difference between being physical and being violent, and the amount of Pool players that got sent off in the fixture in recent years tell a different story.

Anyway, it's not a valid argument. Rivalry shouldn't be an excuse for violent conduct. Did anyone enjoy or condone the shitshow that was Real-Barca circa 11-12 under Jose and Pep? Following your logic, you probably did.

And FYI, before you bring up Keane again, I've never once defended his conduct on this site, and the same goes for a lot of Utd supporters.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I didn't mind the tackles and aggression as Keane, etc were the same.
The problem with Gerrard for me was the 'backpasses' that stopped us winning titles. They were deliberate, and while Liverpool fans would applaud (and I would in the same situation), I feel something should have been done about it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I forgot how great Torres was, that's what I've got from this video. And I would've given Gerrard a red for that tackle :rolleyes:

De Bruyne today looks like a carbon copy of 08/09 Gerrard

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
There's a difference between being physical and being violent, and the amount of Pool players that got sent off in the fixture in recent years tell a different story.

Anyway, it's not a valid argument. Rivalry shouldn't be an excuse for violent conduct. Did anyone enjoy or condone the shitshow that was Real-Barca circa 11-12 under Jose and Pep? Following your logic, you probably did.

And FYI, before you bring up Keane again, I've never once defended his conduct on this site, and the same goes for a lot of Utd supporters.

Yep attempted punch (or whatever soft lad was actually trying to do) - anyway both sides just as bad. Off you go on your travels now....

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I forgot how great Torres was, that's what I've got from this video. And I would've given Gerrard a red for that tackle :rolleyes:

De Bruyne today looks like a carbon copy of 08/09 Gerrard
Yeah Torres really was phenomenal.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't mind the tackles and aggression as Keane, etc were the same.
The problem with Gerrard for me was the 'backpasses' that stopped us winning titles. They were deliberate, and while Liverpool fans would applaud (and I would in the same situation), I feel something should have been done about it.
Give over - the Drogba one?
Chelsea beat you home and away that season - moral of the story , don't rely on others....

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He was a great player. I'd be delighted if Pogba turned out as good as him.