Steven Gerrard Retires

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Saw his little chat with Gary Lineker on the BBC website, maybe it's the engrained bias in me but I'm pretty he has a dig at United during that. Quotes include: Proudest moment "Winning Liverpool's 5th Champions League title, the one we get to keep" and "Probably the best Champions League final ever to watch".

Maybe it's just me though.

For what it's also worth, he says his worst moment ever was "The Chelsea game" (Slipgate) and that it will "haunt him for a long time".
It's not you, him and the Liverpool media pundits can't help themselves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Excellent player but rather awkward to fit in a team properly. Occupied a midfield slot but his best work didn't actually take place in midfield. Suspect Pogba may be quite similar in that sense.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
How did the nickname 'Stevie Me' come about?
Thought it was just because he wanted to win big matches by himself, and failed. Especially during his latter years. Countless of shots from 30 yards into row z. Which was funny as hell.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Thought it was just because he wanted to win big matches by himself, and failed. Especially during his latter years. Countless of shots from 30 yards into row z. Which was funny as hell.
Right, makes sense

clarkydaz

Even Diouf slagged him off recently saying he'd rather score himself than pass to a team mate and win the game :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Came to this thread to be entertained. I'm not disappointed. Can't say I'm disappointed to see this fella retire, I just hope he doesn't end up in the media.
He's an ex-Liverpool player, he's definitely going to end up in the media, the miserable cnut.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He was a club legend no double, lacked the right head in areas like in the Chelsea game when he just tried to do it all by himself.

Probably the best partner for him was Alonso, sadly he'll never win a Premier League but he had the opportunity to move and rejected it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not fit to lace Scholesy's boots.

Also Scholesy remained a one club player (and won lots of titles)

tomaldinho1

He was pretty good for them.
Interesting, I had read a few articles where he was being criticised heavily and had underestimated how physical MLS was. I don't actually know if the above is good or not - would have thought that was standard for a CM?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/15/steven-gerrard-los-angeles-galaxy-career-mls

As much as I dislike him given his L'Pool affiliations, it is tragic that someone of his level has won, comparitivly, so little and will be remembered for that slip. Then I remember he's a bellend, thank him for the red card, and get on with my day

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Former Liverpool and England captain Steven Gerrard has officially announced his retirement from professional football.

Gerrard was Liverpool's longest-ever serving captain and made 710 appearances for his boyhood club, inspiring them to to their famous Champions League final victory over AC Milan in 2005 while also helping the Reds win the FA Cup twice (2001, 2006), the League Cup on three occasions (2001, 2003, 2012) and the UEFA Cup once (2001) during an 18-year association with the club.

At international level, Gerrard won 114 caps for England and is his country's fourth most capped player of all time behind Peter Shilton, Wayne Rooney and David Beckham.

After moving to LA Galaxy in 2015, the 36-year-old has now decided to call time on his career following their defeat in the MLS play-offs earlier this month, losing on penalties to Colorado Rapids

Gerrard will now take time to consider his options before deciding on his next career move, having admitted this week that he spoke to MK Dons about their vacant managerial position, but admitted that they were too small of a club for him to even consider "I could carry them with my little finger" he was quoted to say

"I have had an incredible career and Liverpool, England and LA Galaxy are grateful that I turned out for them, he said in a statement.

"As a teenager I fulfilled my childhood dream by pulling on the famous red shirt of Liverpool, and when I made my debut against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998 The whole city of Liverpool could never have imagined what would then follow over the next 18 years.

"I feel everyone is lucky to have experienced so many wonderful highlights over the course of my career. I can only imagine how proud Liverpool were to have me play over 700 games for them considering that I actually wanted to play for Chelsea, many of which as an inspirational captain and Leader, and to have played my part in helping the club to bring all the important major honours back to Anfield, none more so than my famous night in Istanbul.

"At an international level, England, and indeed international football was privileged to see me win 114 England caps and My country to have the honour of me captaining them. I will always look back with great pride at every time I pulled on the England shirt.

"The football world is very fortunate to witness the career I've had but none of it would have been possible without the support of so my broad shoulders carrying Liverpool football club
"I am excited about the future and feel I still have a lot to offer the game, in whatever capacity that may be, as long as it's talismanic manager of LFC I am currently taking my time to consider a number of options that I'm sure will come my way soon and will make an announcement with regards to the next stage of my career very soon."

Crustanoid

Missed his 5live eulogy tonight. Bummer

Just reminiscing about his amazing swansong....
His epic performance in his last ever match against us
His one-man crusade in the FA cup that year
His influential performance to guide the team to success in his last ever match against Stoke

Legend

fellaini's barber

Came to post something nice then watched this again:lol:, what a self absorbed arsehole, playing to the cameras. Lord knows what he would have come up with had they won it. Damn, I'm not sure how I could have been able live through Liverpool winning the league that year, for that I'll ever be grateful to Slippy

stevoc

Diving, overrated, cheating, camera kissing, crying, whinging, DJ punching, slippy, zero PL medals, Phil Collins listening wanker.

Having said all that he was a cracking player and brilliant on his day. Was one of the best around when he played further forward behind Torres around 07-09.

Shit i think i let a bit of respect for him slip out there.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

Good player... Liverpool legend? Absolutely. Football legend? No.

For me, he needed to win the Premier League to be considered that. And he's not even the greatest player to never win the Premier League cause that list includes Lineker, Zola, Suarez, Torres, Alonso, etc. All of which are comfortably better footballers than Stevie Me.... But the British media will tell you otherwise.

A lot of people say "If we left Liverpool, he would have won the league"... but if he left Liverpool, would he have started every game and been the focal point of another club? Doubtful. I can't imagine Chelsea dropping Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Deco, etc for him... All of those guys are brilliant players. On top of that, himself and Lampard were a bad match when played together at England. So I can't imagine it being a regular pairing at club level.

Gerrard had a good long range pass on him and a cracking long shot but I never rated him as a technically gifted footballer in the mold of Xavi, Zidane or Pirlo. Those guys were exquisite. To compare Gerrard to them is a bit of an insult in my book.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So we will all conveniently forgot about how he wanted to move to Chelsea and only balked after the threat of physical violence from Liverpool supporters?

I heard him talking about how loyal he was, and how he could have won much more elsewhere but chose to stay. How noble of Stevie me, and the Scousers will just lap it up.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Fergie was right, he wasn't a 'top, top player', and as good as he was as Liverpool captain, they don't appear to be missing his presence in that role either.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was a top player, the problem was he wanted to be the hero all the time. If he played in a better side he would've been a detriment as he was ill-disciplined and lacked tactical awareness (a lot like Rooney in this regard)
Or he'd have adapted and changed his game (like Henry did at Barca for instance). If he played like a hero wannabe at Liverpool, it's because he was allowed to, at another club he probably would have played differently.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A lot of people say "If we left Liverpool, he would have won the league"... but if he left Liverpool, would he have started every game and been the focal point of another club? Doubtful. I can't imagine Chelsea dropping Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Deco, etc for him... All of those guys are brilliant players. On top of that, himself and Lampard were a bad match when played together at England. So I can't imagine it being a regular pairing at club level.
Mourinho tried to sign him three times. He'd have been dynamite ahead of Makelele in the same way that he moved up a couple of gears when freed up by Hamann/Mascherano/Alonso etc.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Well if it hadn't been for him, Alan Pardew would be an a FA Cup winning manager.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good player. Only even considered as a PL great because of how much Liverpool fans big him up. Swear most of it was because he'd twat the ball from miles out a million times a game and occasionally get one in.

Didn't hold a candle to Scholes as a player. A better leader, but that's it.

Heatmap in his last ever match against United

:lol:

Boycott

Good player. Only even considered as a PL great because of how much Liverpool fans big him up. Swear most of it was because he'd twat the ball from miles out a million times a game and occasionally get one in.

Didn't hold a candle to Scholes as a player. A better leader, but that's it.
Agree with the last sentence but the bolded part is rubbish IMO

Boycott

Scousers are the biggest hype men going. If he'd played for Arsenal he'd just be another good player imo.
He's rated very highly by his contemporaries. For a couple of years he was at a world class level. Practically his whole career in England. That's why he's considered a PL great.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He was a world class player but he's no Paul Scholes.