g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Steven Gerrard Retires

jojose

He's definitely my footballing hero. I remember his first goal against Sheffield Wednesday like it was yesterday :(. He may have been the reason we didn't win that Chelsea game but I think we would have dropped points to a Chelsea team that came to defend regardless of the slip. United and Chelsea fans especially still bring up the slip but I don't think many Pool fans would trade Istanbul for winning the league that year. Giggs has 13 premier league medals and Gerrard has zero, but I would take one steven Gerrard over the whole of class of 92.
You only started looking a team when he was moved to out of the way to right back.

As for the class of 92 comment :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tomaldinho1

He pretty much retired when he went to the MLS. Didn't LA Galaxy decide not to offer him another contract or something?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Its kind of nice that the still love the shit out of their legends

Whereas it seems most utd fans hate Giggs

TheReligion

Abusive
He's definitely my footballing hero. I remember his first goal against Sheffield Wednesday like it was yesterday :(. He may have been the reason we didn't win that Chelsea game but I think we would have dropped points to a Chelsea team that came to defend regardless of the slip. United and Chelsea fans especially still bring up the slip but I don't think many Pool fans would trade Istanbul for winning the league that year. Giggs has 13 premier league medals and Gerrard has zero, but I would take one steven Gerrard over the whole of class of 92.
You would take take one Gerrard and 25 years of shite over your very own class of 92 and unlimited and unrivalled decades of success domestically and world wide?

stu_1992

Came to this thread to be entertained. I'm not disappointed. Can't say I'm disappointed to see this fella retire, I just hope he doesn't end up in the media.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Stop lying to yourself.

Liverpool had won 11 straight games going against a 2nd string Chelsea side with both eyes on a champions league semi. That slip changed the complexion of that game and of the season.Had Liverpool simply drawn that game,they would have been champions.

Bogman

Personally he never hugely annoyed me. What was more annoying was the fanfare that surrounded him.

Forget the BS about loyalty, it was a smart move for him to stay at Liverpool and be a big fish in a small pond. Had he gone to a bigger club he would have had to be far more disciplined in his on-field role.

At Liverpool, being mostly surrounded by numpties, he could pop up wherever he liked, attempt to spray Hollywood passes and be as self indulgent as he wanted to be. I know a couple of smarter Liverpool who were often less than impressed by Gerrard's contribution in the off games in between his headline grabbing moments. But all he had to was stick one in every few weeks to stay in credit with their fans and the fawning media.

Reactions: Penna

clarkydaz

Yep, initiated the biggest comeback of all times. He might not have been the most effective or the most consistent player, but he was involved in some pretty inspirational moments of football.
Actually even Liverpool fans admit Hamaan was the one who came on and done what Gerrard was supposed to do that game

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At Liverpool, being mostly surrounded by numpties, he could pop up wherever he liked, attempt to spray Hollywood passes and be as self indulgent as he wanted to be. I know a couple of smarter Liverpool who were often less than impressed by Gerrard's contribution in the off games in between his headline grabbing moments. But all he had to was stick one in every few weeks to stay in credit with their fans and the fawning media.
Steven Roonard.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Would you have him over Messi, Iniesta and Xavi? I don't blame you for valuing your Liverpool idol over United idols, but surely the only argument for taking one top player over multiple top players is a romantic one?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Would you have him over Messi, Iniesta and Xavi? I don't blame you for valuing your Liverpool idol over United idols, but surely the only argument for taking one top player over multiple top players is a romantic one?
football fandom is about being tribal and romantic though.

Gerrard is one of the best players of his generation, let down by poor management at Liverpool some of the squad they had should have come much much closer to the league when he was in his prime.

AndyJ1985

Undeniably a great player but I couldn't stand the man. He always comes across as a miserable bastard who takes himself too seriously. The whole camera kissing shite and then waving the cameras away when Suarez was crying wound me up too. Tosser.

Ainu

Undeniably a great player but I couldn't stand the man. He always comes across as a miserable bastard who takes himself too seriously. The whole camera kissing shite and then waving the cameras away when Suarez was crying wound me up too. Tosser.
Feel like this as well. He's always struck me as the sort of person who'd dish it out but can't take it.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
The class of 92 changed Manchester United as a football club and led them to home domination and them ending up as the biggest club in the world for more than a decade. Gerrard, while being an amazing player, is nothing in comparison. And as much as I like Liverpool and sometimes don't like United, being an Arsenal fan, the class of 92 changed the entire stature of United and your statement sounds ridiculous.

Reactions: Penna

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
football fandom is about being tribal and romantic though.

Gerrard is one of the best players of his generation, let down by poor management at Liverpool some of the squad they had should have come much much closer to the league when he was in his prime.
Absolutely. In hypothetical scenarios such as these you're swapping a player who has lived and breathed your club and lifted silverware wearing your crest with a player or group of players who may be better and have lifted more silverware, but for a team you have nothing to do with or even actively despise.

For example I wouldn't expect you to want to swap Marhez, Morgan or Vardy for anyone. They did something for your club the Co92, Messi and Pele himself will never do.

That being said if Oga would prefer to keep Gerard, we'll hang on to the Co92 (unless they're doing punditry post-retirement, then we hate them).

Irrational.

I would credit him as being the founder of the Hollywood Pass.

Remember in the Game of the Slip, after the event happened he tried to take it into his own hands to make up for it by taking shots from ridiculous distances and angles? He should've been taken off that game, and just goes to show how selfish he was.

crossy1686

career ending
Saw his little chat with Gary Lineker on the BBC website, maybe it's the engrained bias in me but I'm pretty he has a dig at United during that. Quotes include: Proudest moment "Winning Liverpool's 5th Champions League title, the one we get to keep" and "Probably the best Champions League final ever to watch".

Maybe it's just me though.

For what it's also worth, he says his worst moment ever was "The Chelsea game" (Slipgate) and that it will "haunt him for a long time".

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Saw his little chat with Gary Lineker on the BBC website, maybe it's the engrained bias in me but I'm pretty he has a dig at United during that. Quotes include: Proudest moment "Winning Liverpool's 5th Champions League title, the one we get to keep" and "Probably the best Champions League final ever to watch".
Yeah I don't see digs in there. The fifth (and Gerard's only) European Cup will obviously be huge for him and I'm sure most neutrals would give them coming back from 3-0 down the nod over '99 for the better final of the two, and a prime candidate for the best of all.

crossy1686

career ending
Anderson has had his say:

“I won everything at the club. I won four Premier Leagues. A player like Gerrard, who like, played for Liverpool, a player who has history in world football, didn’t win one. And I achieve four playing for the club.”