Stockport in the Senior Cup

oskarutd

01/11/2007 11:43, Report by Steve Bartram
Neville set for Reserves return

Gary Neville's injury comeback steps up a notch on Thursday evening, as the club captain makes his first appearance for seven months in the Reserves' Manchester Senior Cup tie against Stockport County.

The 32-year-old defender has been out of action since damaging ankle ligaments against Bolton in March, but he has been named in the squad for the Reds' clash at the Victoria Stadium, which will be televised on MUTV.

Thursday's tabloids speculate that, as long as Neville emerges unscathed from his return, he will be included in Sir Alex Ferguson's senior squad for the trip to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Tonight's match kicks off at 7pm, with MUTV coverage beginning at 6:45pm.

United squad: Heaton, Zieler; Neville, J Evans, Simpson, Chester, R Eckersley, Gray; Barnes, S Evans, Lee, Eagles; Brandy, Dong, Bryan, Wellbeck.

Kelvin

I hope to see Brandy playing instead of fecking Dong.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just put this on

No idea of the teams, though Eagles has just scored a stunner

Fuzzymel

Cant tell yet (just turned the match on). Nothing has stood out yet but from the way the commentators were talking he may have been involved in the Stockport goal.

68-99-08

It was Gray's fault for their goal. Didnt pick up his man. Neville is playing centre back.

Fuzzymel

its hard to tell who had the last touch for the goal. In no way Nevilles fault though.

Eagles free kick was fantastic.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
5-1 at the moment. Goals by Dong (from a FK) and 2 from Brandy.
Sean Evans scored the first 2 and has looked good.
Wellbeck just came on.

Edit: 6-1, Dong scores again, set up by Wellbeck.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
how'd you guys make of his return? Is he long way from match fit? Looks like he won't be ready for Arsenal but could he possibly play against kyiv?
Nowhere near match fit IMHO.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Nev's not match fit yet.

I've just taped the game for my Brother who's a County fan and he's just been up for it....I found it difficult not to feel sorry for him....he's no idea what's to come.
:)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They did alright until the part when they suddenly started conceding goals every five minutes

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
how'd you guys make of his return? Is he long way from match fit? Looks like he won't be ready for Arsenal but could he possibly play against kyiv?
Saw some of the highlights on SSN... he looks as bit overweight to me... never senn him carrying weight before but I guess it gets harder to shift it as you get a bit older...

Bammy

Yeah I noticed he had a bit of a stomach on him as well, doesn't look ready to come back to the first team for a couple of weeks or so in my opinion.

As for the rest of the match, first half it was even-ish, second half we were very good.

I think David gray was at fault for their goal, got sucked in instead of staying on his man.

Brandy looked dangerous everytime he got the ball.Very good player.Sean Evans played well too.. They were the two stand out players for me anyway. Lee, Eagles, Evans and Simpson were good as well.

Dong did nothing first half, but once he got his goal he played with a lot more confidence and looked pretty good. Will never make it at United, but certainly not as bad as some people make him out to be.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Dong did nothing first half, but once he got his goal he played with a lot more confidence and looked pretty good. Will never make it at United, but certainly not as bad as some people make him out to be.
Yup.
Looked like Van Nistelrooij on Temazepam in the first half and no one wanted to bring him in the game if they could help it.
Second half he looked quite good, his passing was intelligent and he was on the pace.

PS18

just out of interest - is there any reason Sam Hewson wasn't involved in this?