Storm Barra

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I am living at the seaside in Cork, say a prayer. I was thinking of heading to Garrettstown beach for a surf tomorrow. 26ft waves apparently, be great craic.

How bad do these storms typically get?
Not bad in Florida terms. Few houses destroyed, occasionally a few people die but rarely (3 in Storm Ophelia, 2017). Electricity/water goes for tens of thousands and is quickly (usually) restored. That kind of thing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I am living at the seaside in Cork, say a prayer. I was thinking of heading to Garrettstown beach for a surf tomorrow. 26ft waves apparently, be great craic.

Not bad in Florida terms. Few houses destroyed, occasionally a few people die but rarely (3 in Storm Ophelia, 2017). Electricity/water goes for tens of thousands.
So like a strong tropical storm. Got it. Hope it is lighter than anticipated.

26ft waves would be like the Irish Mavericks, I would imagine.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not very.

It’s weird actually. This is about the second or third time we’ve had schools closed due to severe storms over the last few years. I never once remember missing school because of a storm when I was a kid.

Almost as though the climate is… changing?
It's in the mid 70s today on the coast of Georgia, quite warm for this time of year. It is almost as if climate is changing a tad.

Hope all goes as well as possible for you through the storm.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just found out my old man is absolutely determined to drive from Dublin to West Cork tomorrow morning, to check on his fecking bee hive. Will not listen to reason. Stubborn old cnut. I didn’t lick it off the stones, did I?
I’d say you’d need to get him one of those amphibious duck things to drive

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’m sure the Irish people will agree with me that the weather has definitely changed around here. It used to be frosty and freezing in the mornings from Oct to March. It’s been fairly mild up until recently. Hasn’t really gone below 0 for longer than a few hours at a time.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Thank you Ireland for protecting me on the Welsh West coast from the worst of it. Your sacrifice will not be in vain.

cyberman

I’m sure the Irish people will agree with me that the weather has definitely changed around here. It used to be frosty and freezing in the mornings from Oct to March. It’s been fairly mild up until recently. Hasn’t really gone below 0 for longer than a few hours at a time.
Yep, really cold weather doesn’t seem to come until mid to late January these days

Brophs

The One and Only
The not-remotely-concealed glee with which the minder from my daughter's room in creche told her they'd be closed tomorrow did nothing for my mood, to be honest. That after my son had to come home sick from creche before 11.

I dunno, I guess my view on storms and climate change is absolutely don't have kids.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just found out my old man is absolutely determined to drive from Dublin to West Cork tomorrow morning, to check on his fecking bee hive. Will not listen to reason. Stubborn old cnut. I didn’t lick it off the stones, did I?
That is the kind of old man I hope to become :drool:

Stemmy

Seems like a fairly windy day in Dublin but not too bad. Working from home today. I was out earlier this morning just making sure things were more secure out the back but might not have needed to. Better safe than sorry I suppose.