Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

caid

Finished this yesterday
I think a large part of what i enjoyed so much about season 1 was just the nostalgia, which was kind of shallow and not enough to keep my hooked for a second season or any future seasons.
So i didn't enjoy it as much, thought the last 2 episodes, and Dustin and Steve more specifically, kind of rescued a pretty mediocre season.
Too much setting up for 5 more seasons or whatever, not enough pay off.

Didn't really think much of any of the new characters
Max nicking her brothers car was kind of cool, she could be an interesting character maybe. Her brother seems ... uninteresting. Neither added much, this season at least.
Thought breaking up the kids was a mistake, just thought the show worked a lot better when they were thrown together.
Hopper didn't solve a single problem by punching it in the face, which i think is criminal oversight on the part of the writers.
I quite liked Bob, his character was growing on me so wasn't that impressed with them killing him off. Not really sure what the point of him was.

It was fun I guess. I watched 10 odd hours of it in 3 days so it cant be all bad.

Fridge chutney

What? How is that even possible?
Girlfriend was hooked and when I got to hers she told me to watch it with her. She happened to be on episode 3 season 2. I didn't have much say in the matter but she puts up with all my football so I can't really complain.

While i had no fecking clue what was going on to begin with I gradually pieced it together and quite enjoyed episodes 4-9.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Haha I deserve that. For what it's worth, see explanation above.
Haha probably about as valid a reason as possible. Although I think to appreciate it properly you need to have seen it all. Eleven is quite a lot different in this season. Her weirdness in season 1 added to the interest.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
So it was basically a re-hash of season 1 with some new characters that nobody cares about and a greatly inferior villain. It also ends exactly where it started with the monster we thought we were going to get looming over them on the otherside. I've heard of a filler episode before (*cough* episode 7) but a filler season? That's a new one on me.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
So any idea what it's all about?

Is it really supernatural?
Is it all in someone's head?
Are the kids just playing dungeons and dragons?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The missus and i smashed through this in one sitting on saturday.

Enjoyed it immensely.

Only thing i would say is thst the guys writing it are obviously finding it difficult to tie the big bad into a larger story ark.

The have said they want to get five series out of it, which is doable i think, but they need to draft in someone to help with the overal idea of where they want to get to.

Irrational.

Like Season 1, Season 2 was enjoyable and great for the nostalgic feeling of it all, but that was about it really. I'd probably rate the first season higher.

- Most of the newly introduced characters (Max, her pointless meathead brother, Kali) lacked depth and added nothing to the storyline other than filler
- Saw Bob's death coming a mile off
- Episode 7 was cringe central
- Gothic moody Eleven was annoying
- Will's mum is annoying
- Will being the unlucky sod who keeps being 'possessed'/ tortured thing got a bit tiresome
- A lot of scenes make it look like there's no one else in the town besides our main cast of characters. No other sense of panic from the rest of the residents or any deaths. Those demo-gogs seemed only to target the main characters.
- That scene with meathead brother Billy and Nancy's mum :lol::lol:
- Really enjoyed a few of the comedic moments with Dusty and Steve
- The whole thing is directed really well and keeps you hooked throughout

Overall, I hope they change the script a bit for Season 3.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think episodes 8 and 9 saved it, especially Dustin and Steven.

It already seems like they've run out of ideas though. They may have a 'plan' for 5 seasons, but if that plan involves doing a walking dead on it and stringing it out by making the bad guys invincible one minute then weak the next (like throughout both seasons they can't be hurt by bullets, but right at the very end in the lift shaft they suddenly can) then I can see it quickly becoming just as bad.

Thankfully the kids are wonderful actors and carry the whole thing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Steven has turned from one of the most annoying characters in season 1 to one of the best in season 2.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Steven has turned from one of the most annoying characters in season 1 to one of the best in season 2.
Agreed, him and the absolute hero that is Dustin pairing up was the best thing of the entire season.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I was binge watching and have to say Ep 7 didn't bother me so much. After the hate here, I'm almost curious to see what was so bad about it.
It didn't bother me that much either, but if I had to say, I'd say that the character writing was very sloppy and obvious and I get they are setting 8 up for the next season or two, but it was all just so obvious and silly. Complete with the daft journey there and back.

It was jarring in that it offered little to nothing to the story whilst coming across as a side thought. As someone said above, it was like one of those episodes setting up a spin off that no one would watch.

caid

Forgot to mention it, because it was that forgettable, but i kind of hate Nancy and Jonathan scenes.
They really turned the cringe up to 11 for them two

Hope they piss off to college next season

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
It didn't bother me that much either, but if I had to say, I'd say that the character writing was very sloppy and obvious and I get they are setting 8 up for the next season or two, but it was all just so obvious and silly. Complete with the daft journey there and back.

It was jarring in that it offered little to nothing to the story whilst coming across as a side thought. As someone said above, it was like one of those episodes setting up a spin off that no one would watch.
Maybe coz I'm living in a Chicago suburb, I loved it :D

Andersons Dietician

I liked season 1 better.

Dustin is an absolute hero, almost shed a tear for him in the last episode.
Pretty sure I did shed a tear. Watching him standing there looking about. Absoulutly heartbreaking. Stick in their little homie, eventually they will all make that drunken mistake.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Only at episode six, but God, Nancy/Jonathan part, absolutely terrible.

First season was superior in every regard, this one started to get exciting only at episode 5/6, though I do like Sean Astin and Paul Reiser.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Four episodes in and don't plan on reading the thread yet!

But my god, it's brilliant! I wasn't nearly as big a fan of S1 as most people, I mean it was pretty good, but I felt the nostalgia behind it made people overrate it quite a lot. This season has been genuinely awesome, though.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Four episodes in and don't plan on reading the thread yet!

But my god, it's brilliant! I wasn't nearly as big a fan of S1 as most people, I mean it was pretty good, but I felt the nostalgia behind it made people overrate it quite a lot. This season has been genuinely awesome, though.
Wash your feet, Season 1 was brilliant and way better than this.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The Nancy/Jonathan exposing the lab bit was the absolute worst.

So the government officials or whatever they are were listening to all of their phone calls, turned up at the first mention of N&J telling someone the truth, take them in to the lab, show them everything and why it's being done.

Then they just let them go and don't spy on/follow them? Oh right. Great work lads.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They overplayed their hand with Max and her sibling. Both were over the top and more or less ruined it, though I did find myself hoping the brother would at least partially redeem himself by banging the MILF.

Irrational.

The Nancy/Jonathan exposing the lab bit was the absolute worst.

So the government officials or whatever they are were listening to all of their phone calls, turned up at the first mention of N&J telling someone the truth, take them in to the lab, show them everything and why it's being done.

Then they just let them go and don't spy on/follow them? Oh right. Great work lads.
Good shout. It was ridiculous. :lol:

We never knew if they were on their side or not.

Second season syndrome I guess. :wenger::D

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They overplayed their hand with Max and her sibling. Both were over the top and more or less ruined it, though I did find myself hoping the brother would at least partially redeem himself by banging the MILF.
Max was okay but the problem was after being seemingly interesting at first didn't really knew much. Once she had a decent idea what was going on she basically just tagged along with the main group.

saivet

Was loving it and now and I watched episode 7, which I thought was trash. Like the bug episode of Breaking Bad. Gonna watch ep 8 and 9 on Friday and give myself a day off.

Heardy

Was loving it and now and I watched episode 7, which I thought was trash. Like the bug episode of Breaking Bad. Gonna watch ep 8 and 9 on Friday and give myself a day off.
7 is comparatively weak - expect that the "sister" / other subjects like 011 / 008 will be explored in future season.

Episodes 8 and 9 definitely get the season back on track.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I knew I wasn't interested in watching the whole thing so I watched the second half of the most recent series over my missus' shoulder. It looked pretty fun, I especially enjoyed how they'd managed to merge horror with very genuine coming of age comedy stuff so effectively.

Also it's good to see Paul Reiser in anything, he plays a great prick (though actually he wasn't that bad in the end I think?).

Parma Dewol

Finished Season 2 last night and loved it. Did I enjoy it as much as Season 1? Possibly not, but it wasn't far off.

One thing I love about this show is the sound. It's a very eye-catching show visually, but the music and sound effects are arguably even better. Always have the volume turned up high and every episode has audible moments that give off a great vibe.

I wasn't overly keen on the scenes featuring Eight (was hoping for more because the scene with Eleven and Ma were really interesting). On the other hand, everything featuring Dustin was brilliant, what a legend!

Wittmann45

I thought Max and her brother were kind of interesting at first

I bought into a probably unwarranted notion that they were going to turn out to be something like Eleven. They showed a scene with Eight and her powers and than introduced these two out of town people who had a really weird, impersonal relationship for being brother and sister. I thought they were being developed as characters who were using the brother-sister thing as covers for being humans with powers trying to escape or something. So when it turns out what he meant by "She's not my sister" was that she was simply his step sister, I thought it was kind of interesting and unexpected. But thereafter, they didn't seem to have a very clear role in the series, especially the brother

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Nearing the end of season 2 (already? :(), and I'm enjoying it a lot, once more. Certainly less focused on one plot and theme than season 1, but the quality is again very high, and I'd say the acting has even improved compared to season 1.

Ainu

I absolutely loved it, just like the first season. I wish I could erase my memory and watch it all over again. I've still got Beyond Stranger Things left to watch so that's something. I feel bad for Steve, he's become such a great character this season. His partnership with Dustin was brilliant, I could watch whole show based around it. Oh and Bob. :( Saddest moment of the show.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Watched with Mrs. Our thoughts.

Pacing was far worse than s1, episodes 1-4 nothing much happend. Lots of filler.
Johnathan & Nancy romance was bad, them meeting vodka/dilution guy was baaad,
New characters added nothing, nutting!
Creepy, stalking through the walls monster in s1 was replaced by something far less ominous scene to scene, far less tension throughout.
Eleven's character exploration we found really dull.
Episode 7 could have been a different show entirely. I was OK with it, Mrs HATED it.

Stuff we liked:
Dustin & Steve bromance.

S1 was better, for us, by a distance.