Straylan and Kiwi politics

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Delta starting to creep outside of Auckland now. The pressure on the Govt from business and right wing media is really ramping up. Our vaccination numbers for 1 dose are encouraging but slowing down. Now at about 80% of eligible population has 1 dose. I fear its just a bit to slow to slow or stop the inevitable surge in covid cases. We have a particular religious leader here called Brian Tamaki who is an absolute grifter and believes he has his own kingdom and can do whatever he wants. He held a relatively small protest gathering in Auckland 2 days ago, about 2000 people. He also has received over $1 million in wage subsidies from the govt during this pandemic. Interestingly the leader of the opposition (Judith Collins) this morning refused to criticise his illegal protest. In the last hour or so we have got a better understanding why she wouldnt criticise him, he rents a luxury house from her.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NSW closing in on 90% of 16+ with one shot and 70% fully vaxxed. 12+ have only been eligible to get vaxxed for about 2 weeks and over 50% have had one shot.

Nationally we should pass 80% single dose for 16+ in the next day or two.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
NSW closing in on 90% of 16+ with one shot and 70% fully vaxxed. 12+ have only been eligible to get vaxxed for about 2 weeks and over 50% have had one shot.

Nationally we should pass 80% single dose for 16+ in the next day or two.
Vic is at 82% first dose and 52% second dose.

Melbourne cup day is looking like the moment when 80% double vaxxed is reached

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NSW 587
VIC1638

In NSW 70% are fully vaxxed as of late yesterday. Opening up from Monday with further changes when we hit 80% full vaxxed in about 2 weeks time. We are nearly at 90% of over 16's with one dose so I think we are going to get over 90% of adults vaccinated although regional areas and other states may lag. 12-15 year olds are excluded from the figures and I haven't see the latest figures but last I hear something like 50% had had their first shot in the 2 weeks since they became eligible so I expect an 80%+ uptake.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NSW 646
VIC 1834
ACT 40

NZ 44

Our new NSW Premier is as big a feckwit as expected and has accelerated opening up this reducing my desire to take advantage of said opening up to avoid being part of the likely wave of infections his stupidity will cause. On the plus side the picnickers will hopefully remain home and leave their shit and broken glass in the own back yard.

AU as a whole is now 60% fully vaxxed. Other good vax news is that NSW is approaching 90% single shot and ACT 97% single shot.

Last edited:

Stack

60 new cases today, 57 of them in Auckland but its the biggest daily total since this outbreak started. Our slow start to vaccinating the population is now biting us in the arse.

WPMUFC

Katharine Murphy bluntly pointing out that the BCA intervened in the last federal election to kick labor (and give the LNP red meat for the campaign) over carbon reductions and has now back flipped. Hewett obviously goes on to defend the BCA claiming "oh it's only been within the last 2 years that ESG has become a thing in global markets"....yet has to concede that Shorten was stabbed in the back by that campaign.

But because it's David Speers, just laughs off the Shorten stuff and would never dare touch on Murphy's overall point that LNP and their lobbyist groups lie about the need to act on Climate Change for political advantage....but the ongoing narrative is that the "climate wars" are the fault of both parties.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NSW 498 - with restrictions lifting a bit today and more in 2 weeks time I suspect this number is about to go up significantly.
VIC 1612

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
NSW 360 but likely to rise very soon due to reduced restrictions
VIC 1466
Vics rate is going down but the government still perdicts that late Oct will be the peak.

Am also finding it funny just how shit the media and libs are chucking at Andrews is sticking right now. Murdoch must be pissed that 18 months of constant attacks are failing.

Stack

77 new cases here in nz today, a new record for us but most certainly will climb well past that in the coming months

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NSW 399
VIC 2179
QLD 2

NZ 65

The big news is that NSW has opened up to quarantine free international travel from 1 Nov. It was meant to go to 7 days home quarantine but this was a surprise. Good news for getting my son home for Christmas but it sounds like a terrible idea in general to me. Far too fast a change.

The second change is that the NSW/VIC border is open again despite Sydney still not being able to travel to regional NSW.

Tony Babangida

NSW 399
VIC 2179
QLD 2

NZ 65

The big news is that NSW has opened up to quarantine free international travel from 1 Nov. It was meant to go to 7 days home quarantine but this was a surprise. Good news for getting my son home for Christmas but it sounds like a terrible idea in general to me. Far too fast a change.

The second change is that the NSW/VIC border is open again despite Sydney still not being able to travel to regional NSW.
I actually disagree on that (but I am biased as it has improved my chances of going home). What is the purpose of home/hotel quarantine the era of endemic covid? It won't stop new variants getting in from overseas. Perhaps it could stop new outbreaks being seeded, but if you are tested when you fly that will reduce (not eliminate) the chances of that. The number of cases coming from overseas travel are likely to be insignificant in comparison to the amount already circulating in the community. Home quarantine would prevent any tourists from coming here, which given support will end at 80% vaccination will kill the tourism industry. For me, the downsides of quarantine outweigh the benefits now we have left covid zero behind.

Also good news that the NSW/Vic border is now open for vaccinated people, we are finally starting to move beyond lockdowns and give benefits for getting jabbed.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I actually disagree on that (but I am biased as it has improved my chances of going home). What is the purpose of home/hotel quarantine the era of endemic covid? It won't stop new variants getting in from overseas. Perhaps it could stop new outbreaks being seeded, but if you are tested when you fly that will reduce (not eliminate) the chances of that. The number of cases coming from overseas travel are likely to be insignificant in comparison to the amount already circulating in the community. Home quarantine would prevent any tourists from coming here, which given support will end at 80% vaccination will kill the tourism industry. For me, the downsides of quarantine outweigh the benefits now we have left covid zero behind.

Also good news that the NSW/Vic border is now open for vaccinated people, we are finally starting to move beyond lockdowns and give benefits for getting jabbed.
I agree in general sense and if we had moved to 7 days home quarantine then no quarantine would have followed weeks or months later.

My worry is that our new Premier is someone I don't trust one bit and he is opening up too fast and infections and hospitalisations will hugely spike leading to another lockdown.

Tony Babangida

I agree in general sense and if we had moved to 7 days home quarantine then no quarantine would have followed weeks or months later.

My worry is that our new Premier is someone I don't trust one bit and he is opening up too fast and infections and hospitalisations will hugely spike leading to another lockdown.
He seems like a loony, but I think (hope) the high vaccination rate is going to keep bending the curve. The worry is sub pockets of groups with low vaccination rates, including indigenous Aussies. Been a failure to reach those groups, even though we knew from the start how important it would be. The whole vaccine strollout makes me so angry. Melbourne bought Australia time to get vaxxed and the PM squandered it. We should never have had this latest lockdown. Months and months of Victorian lives put on hold. Was particularly sickening seeing the grand final in a stadium full of people in WA. Vic eliminated covid so the rest of Aus could live largely without restrictions but when it came to NSW turn their government shirked the responsibility. I don’t think Australian covid policy can be considered a success, at least for Melbourne. We have saved lives, but at the cost of putting millions of people under house arrest for 8 months. Now the Vic government is driving me mad, there seems a complete failure to recognise that people are at braking point and loosen the restrictions. Seeing NSW open up so fast is particularly galling. I don’t think a perfect way to handle covid exists, but having spent a substantial part of the last two years in my house I can say Victoria was failed by state and federal government.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia's response was far from perfect but hugely successful in saving life. The worst bits by far were all down to #scottyfrommarketing a) going MIA as usual for long periods, b) leaving inadequate hotel quarantine to the states when it was obvious that purpose built federal facilities were needed, c) the utter shame of leaving 10's of thousands of Aussies stranded overseas and d) totally fecking up vaccine procurement.

We have suffered months of unnecessary restrictions and that can be laid directly at his door. The states have generally done a good job in difficult circumstances imo.

I hope he gets suitably punished for it at the next election.

Last edited:

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Even the lockdowns last year should have been avoided if Scotty used Christmas island as a quarantine place while shit gets built.

Stack

45 new cases reported here today but the authorities expect those numbers to climb into the 100s over the next week. They keep saying this each day so i hope they are simply trying the jinx it thing.

Tony Babangida

Australia's response was far from perfect but hugely successful in saving life. The worst bits by far were all down to #scottyfrommarketing a) going MIA as usual for long periods, b) leaving inadequate hotel quarantine to the states when it was obvious that purpose built federal facilities were needed, c) the utter shame of leaving 10's of thousands of Aussies stranded overseas and d) totally fecking up vaccine procurement.

We have suffered months of unnecessary restrictions and that can be laid directly at his door. The states have generally done a good job in difficult circumstances imo.

I hope he gets suitably punished for it at the next election.
Completely agree about ScoMo. But having supported the Vic government through all of the initial lockdowns I just can’t get behind their ultra cautious easing of restrictions. I can’t conclude they did a good job overall either, as being the most locked down city in the world is not success.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Completely agree about ScoMo. But having supported the Vic government through all of the initial lockdowns I just can’t get behind their ultra cautious easing of restrictions. I can’t conclude they did a good job overall either, as being the most locked down city in the world is not success.
Looking at current infection rates even with restrictions I can see why they would be cautious and I fear that NSW are being too bold. Let's hope VIC (and everywhere) gets 90%+ vaccinated so lockdowns become a thing of the past.