Straylan and Kiwi politics

WPMUFC

They might propose bringing the cuts due in 2024 forwards if they are desperate.
i hope Labor announce something on uni fees before the election. Just looking at some courses and units, the pricing is MAD. Not only in what they changed to be expensive but some really bizarre price slashing as well. For example, an undergrad unit in a history course is $1800 but a unit in English "digital narratives" is $500. The system is a mess.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
i hope Labor announce something on uni fees before the election. Just looking at some courses and units, the pricing is MAD. Not only in what they changed to be expensive but some really bizarre price slashing as well. For example, an undergrad unit in a history course is $1800 but a unit in English "digital narratives" is $500. The system is a mess.
Uni fees should be abolished. Free education is essential for social mobility and I'd gladly give up the $20,000 pa my wife and I will get in tax cuts in 2 years time to pay for it despite needing the $ to ensure a half decent retirement.

Not going to happen of course.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Bob Carr has seemingly outed Peter Dutton as the source of the first lot of text messages.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Dumping #scottyfrommarketing for an even further right and even less likable option, who could well lose his seat at the next election, would be a very odd thing to do.

So it might well happen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The government lurches from clusterfeck to clusterfeck.

They still don't have a clue about institutionalised discrimination against women and are getting panned from all sides.

The best bit was when former Australian of the Year, Grace Tame, was asked a question what Anthony Albanese (who was in the audience) could do to improve things if elected she said "none of the things Scott's done".

The government have also dropped any pretence of introducing a Federal ICAC (why would you want one when the state versions keep catching politicians out?) and their Religious Discrimination bill looks dead in the water as the far/religious right are up in arms about the amendments that protect gay/LGBTQI+ students (and hopefully staff after further amendments in the senate) and it has forced them to come out and say that the bill is about legalising active discrimination in religious organisations and schools and feck all to with protecting religious rights as they are already protected.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...ll-transgender-protection-explained/100818484

Last edited:

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
The government lurches from clusterfeck to clusterfeck.

They still don't have a clue about institutionalised discrimination against women and are getting panned from all sides.

The best bit was when former Australian of the Year, Grace Tame, was asked a question what Anthony Albanese (who was in the audience) could do to improve things if elected she said "none of the things Scott's done".

The government have also dropped any pretence of introducing a Federal ICAC (why would you want one when the state versions keep catching politicians out?) and their Religious Discrimination bill looks dead in the water as the far/religious right are up in arms about the amendments that protect gay/LGBTQI+ students (and hopefully staff after further amendments in the senate) and it has forced them to come out and say that the bill is about legalising active discrimination in religious organisations and schools and feck all to with protecting religious rights as they are already protected.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...ll-transgender-protection-explained/100818484
Labor and Albo has played the last 24 hours beautifully.

And stopped Murdoch and co from using "labor is anti religion" against them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
News just in that #Scottyfrommarketing tried to bribe disgruntled cabinet ministers with a deal to debate a Federal ICAC in exchange for an easy passage of his religious discrimination Bill. With ICAC dead in the water he just managed to piss his colleagues offer, pissing on them and telling them it was raining.

He put his leadership on the line and cabinet still rolled him and voted him down. If the only alternative wasn't Peter Dutton I think he might be at serious risk of being replaced.

WPMUFC

The government has indefinitely shelved its bid to overhaul religious freedom laws, leaving one of the Coalition's central 2019 election commitments hanging in uncertainty.

In the wake of that defeat the government turned to religious groups to consult on the future of the contentious laws.

Conservative government members and some religious groups are advocating for the bill to be formally dumped.

The Australian Christian Lobby said removing exemptions that allowed schools to discriminate against trans students "completely undermined" the bill.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...eligious-groups-discrimination-bill/100818568

Does anyone have the world's smallest violin for the Christian lobby and their disgusting beliefs?

The first part is done, now we need to see the internal fighting ramp up to finally end this government. If you have a liberal MP in your seat, call them and start asking for a leadership challenge.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Dutton plumbed new, depth today, even by his despicable standards, by suggesting China were backing Labor based on ... reason.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...eligious-groups-discrimination-bill/100818568

Does anyone have the world's smallest violin for the Christian lobby and their disgusting beliefs?

The first part is done, now we need to see the internal fighting ramp up to finally end this government. If you have a liberal MP in your seat, call them and start asking for a leadership challenge.
Albo is my MP and we have Jamie Parker (Greens) at State level. Jamie is a seriously great local MP and gets stuck in for everyone and often over issues you wouldn't associate with a Greens MP.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Dutton plumbed new, depth today, even by his despicable standards, by suggesting China were backing Labor based on ... reason.
And yet Gladys Liu worked for the CCP.

Then again dutton is doing his best to piss off the lib voting chinese block

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Now we know what he was doing in Hawaii when he wasn't holding a hose.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I've tried not to get too carried away with pre-polling ratings (based on historical precedence) but the signs are looking good for May.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You know a right wing politician is in trouble when they start rolling the family out.

WPMUFC

Only Scott Morrison could get his wife to apologise for a holiday that people were criticising him for. Seriously would anyone care if Jenny and the kids had a holiday but he came back?

But he doesn't hold a hose and Jenny is apologising for it.....what????

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only Scott Morrison could get his wife to apologise for a holiday that people were criticising him for. Seriously would anyone care if Jenny and the kids had a holiday but he came back?

But he doesn't hold a hose and Jenny is apologising for it.....what????
Pure desperation. Pathetic to drag your wife out to apologise for stuff you refuse to apologise for. I didn't think I could dislike him any more than I did but I was wrong.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Bob Carr has seemingly outed Peter Dutton as the source of the first lot of text messages.

Dutton denied that it was him but it has gone silent since. If it was untrue I wonder why he hasn't sued? Or does he only do that when his target doesn't have the money to defend themselves?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
NZ on the verge of an unstoppable Omicron outbreak - good luck kiwis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ve-experienced-ardern-says-as-cases-skyrocket
The big sick has arrived. People taking time off work and in doing so services being disrupted due to staffing shortages. Roughly 93% of all those over 12 vaccinated, a big push on for the 5 to 12s and the booster push. Nobody in ICU at present with about 40 in hospital and todays cases were over 950. I think the next 3 or 4 months will be long ones.
My work now suffers as I deal with people all the time and I have had 3 jobs cancelled in the last few days. No Govt support available at present for the likes of me as its not a govt mandated work stoppage but simply people taking precautions and reducing risks. There is a loan scheme available to me but I loathe having to head down that path. The Govt is telling everyone its prepared but I have worries because after 30 years of different govts running down infrastructure here we find ourselves short 2 big hospitals and various other health facilities.
The can has been kicked as far down the road as it can, now its a case of hoping that all the prep and vaccinations keep the infection numbers workable and the deaths to a minimum.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Albo is my MP and we have Jamie Parker (Greens) at State level. Jamie is a seriously great local MP and gets stuck in for everyone and often over issues you wouldn't associate with a Greens MP.
His team have reached out to me a number of times recently.

I queried back in 2020 about an issue with my house mate getting back into the country (she had to go to HK for a funeral) and he was very helpful it getting it across the line.

Genuinely a good politician with his electorate at heart.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
His team have reached out to me a number of times recently.

I queried back in 2020 about an issue with my house mate getting back into the country (she had to go to HK for a funeral) and he was very helpful it getting it across the line.

Genuinely a good politician with his electorate at heart.
Good to hear and that matches my experience as well.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In the NSW by-elections Willoughby isn't done and dusted yet with less than 4% between the Lib and the Independent. Postal votes will probably decide it as they aren't counted until Saturday. Currenlty a 19% swing away from the government with the Independent a "nobody" with no funding. Hard to apply state results, especially at by-elections to other elections but it might not bode well for the Federal election where a number of Libs will see well funded independents stand against them in what were considered safe seats.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-16/willoughby-contest-tightens-in-nsw-by-election/100833696

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
NZ bans conversion therapy. Took to long to get this done but at least its now sorted.
In Australia only Qld, ACT and, only as of this month, Victoria have outlawed it. Unbelievable in this day and age. More like the inquisition and a modern democracy.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
It appears that scummo from marketing, voldermort and friedpan are going unhinged in parliment.

Qanon are less nutty right now.