Straylan and Kiwi politics

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just had a report into our tax system appear in our news. The wealthiest NZers paying roughly 10% tax whilst the median are paying about 20%. Im not surprised, would be interested how this sort of thing plays out in Aussie.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national...ate-than-most-other-new-zealanders-ird-report
Our tax system favors the richer dempographics. Not so much through the marginal rates of income tax but more that many things like family trusts, SMSFs, negative gearig in investments and access to expensive real estate that has made big capital gains over the last few decades are only really accesible to wealthier people. That said, next year we reduce income tax for mostly the top end of town. Under $50k pa you gain feck all, at $90k pa you gain just over $1k but at $200k pa you gain over $11k pa.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The latest trick from our "conservative parties" is to promise to allow landlords to have "no reason evictions " again. It seems to me that our conservative parties here in NZ are becoming more and more like the Yanks.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Our tax system favors the richer dempographics. Not so much through the marginal rates of income tax but more that many things like family trusts, SMSFs, negative gearig in investments and access to expensive real estate that has made big capital gains over the last few decades are only really accesible to wealthier people. That said, next year we reduce income tax for mostly the top end of town. Under $50k pa you gain feck all, at $90k pa you gain just over $1k but at $200k pa you gain over $11k pa.
Its a weird thing over here that most of those who will defend tax cuts for the very wealthy mostly earn very little, do you guys have a similar madness?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Its a weird thing over here that most of those who will defend tax cuts for the very wealthy mostly earn very little, do you guys have a similar madness?
It is certainly a thing. Part of the con job that the right of politics has pulled over the last 40 years. Persuading so many people to vote against their own best interests.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A bit of light relief from Bob Katter, a bit of a loon MP from Far North Queensland. This is a while old and was part of the gay marrige "discussion".

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And another Liberal nutter. A former Senator, now resigned after repeatedly shoplifting with added assault of security guards (allegedly), who added this total incoherence to a debate about pricing carbon.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Not politics, but I couldn't find any other thread to put it in:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65642974

Outcry as Australian police Taser 95-year-old care home resident

How are you so incompetent and lacking in empathy that you feel threatened enough by a 95-year-old shuffling towards you armed with a steak knife and a walking frame to use potentially (and now probably) lethal force?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Unbelievable and shocking. It is getting a lot of press here and I suspect charges will follow.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not politics, but I couldn't find any other thread to put it in:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65642974

Outcry as Australian police Taser 95-year-old care home resident

How are you so incompetent and lacking in empathy that you feel threatened enough by a 95-year-old shuffling towards you armed with a steak knife and a walking frame to use potentially (and now probably) lethal force?
As expected the old lady has died and the cop has now been charged with a assault. No idea if this is likely to be upgraded. :(

https://www.9news.com.au/national/k...ily-harm/ac2f768a-2ac6-4263-9afe-3f2f99735bc3

RedDevilQuebecois

What the heck is wrong with those coppers in so many countries? Hope they will be charged with something heavier and then will be found guilty.

Taiho jutsu is a must-learn for any police force out there.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What the heck is wrong with those coppers in so many countries? Hope they will be charged with something heavier and then will be found guilty.
We will see. It is quite possible as I was surprise how fast he was charged with assault with him being a copper.

Taiho jutsu is a must-learn for any police force out there.
Although in this case walking backwards while talking in a calm voice would have been more than enough to avoid having to tazer the poor old lady.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really surprised he stepped down, as he has to be one of the most popular about at the moment

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ben Roberts-Smith's defamation case has failed. In effect the judge has said the newspapers were correct in reporting events that make him a murderer. Probably puts him in line to be liable for A$35 million in legal fees and criminal charges could conceivably follow. A hell of a fall from grace.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06...-roberts-smith-defamation-judgement/102420092
Each proceeding must be dismissed
13m ago By Heath Parkes-Hupton

Justice Besanko has found the newspapers established the substantial truth of many of the imputations, including allegations of murder.
He also found the news organisations had established contextual truth on allegations of domestic violence and bullying of an SAS colleague.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We all know that Dutton is an utter scumbag but trying to score political points in this way (in effect throwing shit everywhere and hoping some sticks to anything because he is doing such a terrible job, and if a vulnerable young woman is collateral damage then so what - she didn't vote Liberal most likely) is unconscionable. But of course it seems unlikely that he has a conscience. It isn't just his appearance that makes us call him Voldermort.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...08fa169adb79e6#block-648256d78f08fa169adb79e6

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No wonder Gladys quit. ICAC found she engaged in seriously corrupt conduct and I'd say she is lucky not to be referred for prosecution. Her arguments and evidence didn't help. Arguing that the ministerial conduct code applied to all ministers but not to her as Premier was never going to fly.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...erejiklian-engaged-in-serious-corrupt-conduct
Politicians have no shame. The day after she it found to have behaved in a seriously corrupt way and probably only saved from prosecution because ICAC evidence can't be reused against her she comes out with an amazingly self-serving bit of denial.

“At all times I have worked my hardest in the public interest,” she said “Nothing in this report demonstrates otherwise.”

Why would ICAC be judging how hard she worked? They were judging how corrupt she way FFS. She wasn't accused of not having a decent work ethic.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think Liberal politicians must wake up and think "I haven't been a total cnut for nearly 8 hours. I'd better get on to that quick fast".

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-harassing-her-and-says-it-is-time-to-stop
Quite fond of the last paragraph:

In January, Reynolds sent a formal defamation complaint to David Sharaz, who is engaged to Higgins, over tweets her lawyers claim caused damage that “cannot be underestimated”.
Impossible to underestimate the magnitude of the damage. No matter how little damage you think it caused, it's caused even less than that.

WPMUFC

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Good move. I generally don't have an issue with hosting these things but if they so obviously blowout to stupid proportions you have to have the guts to pull the plug.
When the cost is so high and the economic benefit so low it is sadly a no-brainer. Stupid plan to do it dispersed/regionally and a totally unnecessary own goal for Dan Andrews. The right wing press are loving it.

From my perspective when funding for the non-money sports like NRL/AFL et have been cut year after year ever since the Sydney Olympics in 2000 I don't find funding such an irrelevant competition a priority. We allegedly pride ourselves on our sporting prowess but gut funding year after year. You would think with the Brisbane Olympics on the way funding would be ramping up :(

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I suspect that the insanity of Trump helped him partially fly under the radar. That and hiding stuff from everyone (including swearing himself into various cabinet positions unbeknown to some of the minister who held those positions) and now this, awarding big sums to religious fanatics who didn't even apply for the funds until a month after they were awarded to them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
#scottyfrommarketing goes full godbotherer, hate the UN and claims to.have 'stepped down' as PM as opposed to getting slaughtered at the Hrneral Election.

Good to see he is just a big a cnut as always. And by good I mean ...

WPMUFC

#scottyfrommarketing goes full godbotherer, hate the UN and claims to.have 'stepped down' as PM as opposed to getting slaughtered at the Hrneral Election.

Good to see he is just a big a cnut as always. And by good I mean ...
The human embodiment of a fart smell that lingers in the couch.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So what is going on with the yes vote in WA? With such a huge Labor majority it seems bizarre that the No vote is doing so well.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A shame it isn't a few weeks later as I'll soon be in WA and NSW probably needs my yes votes less.