Straylan and Kiwi politics

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Being a Kiwi to be honest I was pleased to be included in this thread. If we werent there wouldnt be a NZ politics thread at all. Sweet feck all happens here so it would be a dead thread. At least this way we are on at least one map.
We do have a bit in common though, there is a long historical connection and a huge number of us live over in Aussie and our economy is closely connected to Aussie.
Yeah, but having lived in NZ for 5 years, most Kiwis I met have a high disregard for Australia. Their economies are entwined but their attitudes are decades apart.

New Zealand does good shit. Especially in the last 5 years. It’s mostly good news.

Australia is an absolute shower. Ran by Murdoch (within reason). Racist. Intolerant. Aggressive.

Fair go on it being this or nothing though. Back in my box.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I will say it again... Australia and NZ are nothing like each other. Different political persuasion, different continental plate, different climate, different attitudes... why is this a joint thread?

Makes NZ look bad by association.
Nothing ever happens in NZ so their thread would be empty and we wouldn't want them to be upset ;)

Joking aside there are many differences but huge similarities.

Interestingly the Australian Constitution still contains a clause allowing New Zealand to merge with Australia. I'd vote for that as long as Jacinda Ardern replaced #scottyfrommarketing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nothing ever happens in NZ so their thread would be empty and we wouldn't want them to be upset ;)

Joking aside there are many differences but huge similarities.

Interestingly the Australian Constitution still contains a clause allowing New Zealand to merge with Australia. I'd vote for that as long as Jacinda Ardern replaced #scottyfrommarketing.
Before I lived down there I thought they were similar. They’re as similar in people as English and Scottish people. The two countries look as similar as England and Turkey. Blew me away.

The older Kiwis are quite similar to Aussies. But they’re more flexible. They move with the sentiment of the younger generations.

I guess my only point of objection is that Australia is awash with sexual harassment cases. Meanwhile New Zealand has just granted state backed parental leave for expecting parents that suffer a miscarriage. (I did not post this information admittedly).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, but having lived in NZ for 5 years, most Kiwis I met have a high disregard for Australia.
I think if you asked you would get a similar repose in reverse. However, in both directions much (but by no means all) is banter/rivalry. There is much affection as well.

Their economies are entwined but their attitudes are decades apart.
Yes and no. Our politics is toxic. mainly from the right in comparison to NZ. I'd take the NZ government in a flash and twice on Sunday.

New Zealand does good shit. Especially in the last 5 years. It’s mostly good news.
Lots to criticise but their government are an order of magnitude better than Australia's. Which to be fair isn't that hard.

Australia is an absolute shower. Ran by Murdoch (within reason). Racist. Intolerant. Aggressive.
We have done really well with the pandemic which has resulted in decent economic outcomes but like the UK if you elect far right evil clowns you get what you vote for. Racism within the country is nowhere near as bad as it is perceived not that when there is it can be very overt. Where we are terrible is our treatment of refugees. We do what Trump could only dream of, ship them off to third world gulags with no prospect of ever reaching Australia even if you are assessed as a genuine refugee (which oddly ends up being the majority). It is staged as a way of discouraging people smugglers and saving refugees lives whereas it is mainly a pitch to the worst instincts of the Lib/National's base in much the same way part of Brexit was sold to the Tory base.

The inner suburbs of most cities (and the whole state of WA) are moving left. My NSW local member is a Green for example but the Libs tend to win more of the really wealthy seats and outer city suburbs where small business and the self employed have been poached by News Corp propaganda to make people think the Libs give a toss about them once they have voted. The Nationals tend to hold country seats but independents are likely to make big inroads in the next election or two. So hopefully our politics will become more progressive in the near future.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah, but having lived in NZ for 5 years, most Kiwis I met have a high disregard for Australia. Their economies are entwined but their attitudes are decades apart.

Fair go on it being this or nothing though. Back in my box.
I think the Kiwi Aussie thing can be at times overplayed. With respect to sports absolutely there is a rivalry that can get nasty but in terms of my own experience I like Aussies, have lots of Aussie friends and get over there frequently. You could be right on the attitudes in some areas but in lots we have a similar outlook on life.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think the Kiwi Aussie thing can be at times overplayed. With respect to sports absolutely there is a rivalry that can get nasty but in terms of my own experience I like Aussies, have lots of Aussie friends and get over there frequently. You could be right on the attitudes in some areas but in lots we have a similar outlook on life.
Agreed.

UnrelatedPsuedo

@Wibble @Stack

Not really challenging either response. I think that NZ got lucky. The right demographics voting in the right election at the right time. A ready made John Key replacement would have won I suspect. National fumbled a good situation.

New Zealand is being dragged left of centre by the Greens. Australia needs to be dragged back to the middle from the right.

Thanks for your posts though. Evidence of the the validity of a combined thread....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Wibble @Stack

Not really challenging either response. I think that NZ got lucky. The right demographics voting in the right election at the right time. A ready made John Key replacement would have won I suspect. National fumbled a good situation.

New Zealand is being dragged left of centre by the Greens. Australia needs to be dragged back to the middle from the right.

Thanks for your posts though. Evidence of the the validity of a combined thread....
And I'm not really challenging yours. I'm sure your observations were accurate although Australia is so huge the observed geographic differences will depend where you visited. Tasmania is much closer to NZ that many other areas of AU for e.g. and the difference between who you meet in hipster inner suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne, remote outback areas and far Northern places in Qld and NT can be huge.

I'm very envious of their politics TBH as I almost despair of us electing the evil clowns we do and last time the difference was the News Corp propaganda. If we ever get this shower of shit out diversifying media ownership by law must happen.

The greens here are a sensible lot except most people ignore anything and everything they say because they are commies or eco-terrorist in so many people's heads simply because they think it might be a bad idea to chop all of the trees down. Again News Corp have a great deal to answer for.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In summary,
This is going well.
Laming has stood down from his duties to take this sensitivity training, hilariously asking for privacy, after further revelation came out that he took upskirt shots of a woman bending over to put something in a fridge and accidentally revealing her underwear. The woman's manager had to make him delete the photo before leaving the shop. He as admitted it but thought it was just a bit of a joke.

Did I mention that this guy is also a GP?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Out of interest why did you leave? Please tell me to sod off and mind my own business if necessary.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Laming has stood down from his duties to take this sensitivity training, hilariously asking for privacy, after further revelation came out that he took upskirt shots of a woman bending over to put something in a fridge and accidentally revealing her underwear. The woman's manager had to make him delete the photo before leaving the shop. He as admitted it but thought it was just a bit of a joke.

Did I mention that this guy is also a GP?
Christ, all in a day's work for some I guess!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Again, does it surprise anybody?

These are Australia's "elites" who were geeks in University, carried chips on their shoulders that they were owed something, found their way into power and now try to abuse it to make up for what they never had. Law firms are the same. You only need to look at the young liberals to see exactly where this mentality comes from. They are the same people just 20-30 years older.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Again, does it surprise anybody?

These are Australia's "elites" who were geeks in University, carried chips on their shoulders that they were owed something, found their way into power and now try to abuse it to make up for what they never had. Law firms are the same. You only need to look at the young liberals to see exactly where this mentality comes from. They are the same people just 20-30 years older.
Totally agree. But it seems to be getting worse and worse. Or maybe less hidden or something.

mariachi-19

Totally agree. But it seems to be getting worse and worse. Or maybe less hidden or something.
I would say it’s empowerment for the victims. The power of the “me too”movement won’t really be understood for a number of years, but what is has done is finally allow people to feel empowered to speak up and publicly about abuse. Something that was previously swept under the rug because of huge power embalances no longer happens because people will now actually listen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I would say it’s empowerment for the victims. The power of the “me too”movement won’t really be understood for a number of years, but what is has done is finally allow people to feel empowered to speak up and publicly about abuse. Something that was previously swept under the rug because of huge power embalances no longer happens because people will now actually listen.
I'm sure that is a significant factor.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australian of the year bags #scottyfrommarketing for making someone deputy minister for women in the reshuffle, aimed to manage all this pesky sexual assault and rape stuff away, who is well known for opposing abortion and closely associated with a "fake rape tour" that aimed to undermine Universities attempts to address on campus sexual assaults.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/grace-t...amanda-stoker-as-assistant-minister-for-women

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Barnaby Joyce, who was forced to step down as deputy PM and leader of the National party after getting one of his young staffers pregnant then dumping his wife and kids, has now bought shares for his 3 year old son. He asked questions about shares in the company as part of a hearing into the space industry earlier this year, then bought shares and soon after they announced a big breakthrough.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...y-he-quizzed-at-public-inquiry-was-reasonable

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

WPMUFC

in light of Australia TV losing their minds over the death of Prince Phillip (to the point that Breakfast TV show hosts dress like they are going to a funeral :lol: ), just a small political palate cleanser for the anti-monarchists in the country.

WPMUFC

According the the former Australian Prime Minster all of Philip's racism and bigotry was fightback against the woke

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

According the the former Australian Prime Minster all of Philip's racism and bigotry was fightback against the woke
Howard is far worse I think. Why do we keep electing these scumbags? Howard, Abbott and #scottyfrommarketing - many politicians are scumbags but the Libs seem to do it better and more consistently than most.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
in light of Australia TV losing their minds over the death of Prince Phillip (to the point that Breakfast TV show hosts dress like they are going to a funeral :lol: ), just a small political palate cleanser for the anti-monarchists in the country.

:lol: Bloody hell he was on form. Feel the burn

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A few weeks ago an almost immediate snap election was on the cards. The vaccine debacle (on top of the feds other huge screw ups including all the sex abuse and cover up stuff) now has them saying they always planned to go full terms such is the turnaround especially with female voters. They must be really rattled and I suspect internal polling in key marginals has them running scared.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...l-now-scott-morrison-is-trying-to-gaslight-us

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The travel bubble with NZ opens today and #scottyfrommarketing gets the bird in South Australia

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Feds and States getting increasingly testy with each other about the vaccine roll-out. The states want to get AZ into the arms of the over 50's but the feds seem paralysed and so far are sticking to their plan to immunise various at risk and front line people before moving on, even thought we don't have the Pfiser to do it and many are under 50 so aren't being given AZ which we do have (or should have but we aren't being told) .

Oh yes - and 1 year too late they are now thinking about finding funding so Australia can make mRNA vaccines. They act as if this is all a surprise which makes it even more enraging.

WPMUFC

"Sudden Cardiac Arrests in young people hurt the economy and productivity....oh yeah and the family is devastated"

wtf ABCNews :houllier:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

"Sudden Cardiac Arrests in young people hurt the economy and productivity....oh yeah and the family is devastated"

wtf ABCNews :houllier:
So let me get this straight. People dying young is bad for the economy but doctors have also noticed their families are upset and also suffer economic impacts. Who would have guessed?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As usual the Juice Media do a great job of explaining Australian politics.

Australian Values

Our EV "policy"

WPMUFC

So let me get this straight. People dying young is bad for the economy but doctors have also noticed their families are upset and also suffer economic impacts. Who would have guessed?
no idea who thought that would be a good idea for a story blurb. A good amount of the story that's actually written is about how devastating it is on families to lose love ones for seemingly no reason that can be detected.

However, the reason that blurb exists is that a study was cited which essentially claimed "hey we got to research sudden cardiac arrest more, young people that die without warning and when they die young the economic and productivity consequences are large because they don't get to work until their 60-70s" :houllier:

Suv666

This thread is my sole source of knowledge about whats going on in Aus and NZ.

mariachi-19

This thread is my sole source of knowledge about whats going on in Aus and NZ.
Not fecking much except for bumbling incompetence. Which may or may not be a bad thing.

I feel like the saving grace for Australia is we will never have to worry about a dictator or wannabe trumper.

They’d get told they’re “having a suck of the old sauce bottle” and to feck off.

which is probably the reason why our politicians are so incompetent.