Striker options?

didz

I watched the Roma-Bologna game earlier and it’s my first watch of Zirkzee.

He scored, but he seems like a bit of a lump and not that mobile.
I thought he looked pretty good. Set up the third with an incisive one-touch through ball too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No. There is no one grumpier as back up.
What have you seen from Hojlund to give you the impression we need to be looking for a ‘backup’ striker? Hojlund needs to be replaced in the first team, and then try to prove that he is good enough to be a United centre forward himself. It is he who is actually a suitable profile for a backup United striker right now.

Valencia Shin Crosses

What have you seen from Hojlund to give you the impression we need to be looking for a ‘backup’ striker? Hojlund needs to be replaced in the first team, and then try to prove that he is good enough to be a United centre forward himself. It is he who is actually a suitable profile for a backup United striker right now.
I mean I'd rather have Hojlund than Lukaku starting though.

Sesko or Toney are my picks personally. Think we'll be priced out of Isak considering we need to address midfield/defense as the priority of our budget this summer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What have you seen from Hojlund to give you the impression we need to be looking for a ‘backup’ striker?
A potentially high end finisher and lead the line forward when supplied. Like ANY other top striker of the Halaand ilk. Unlike the select few like Mbappe or Kane who are dribble wizards or can drop deep into midfield to create for themselves whilsr playing with a forwardline that ignores them 80% of the time.

As for Lukaku. He has proven time and again he hates competition, rotation even less. Above all he can't function in a side that hasn't sorted supply issues to the starting striker. Mind you am a fan of his. But his ill suited to this particular United side by far!

Right now of elite starting strikers only Kane, Toney or Osimhen would handle our issue of lack of supply uptop. They are also all out our of our money bracket.

Hojlund needs to be replaced in the first team, and then try to prove that he is good enough to be a United centre forward create himself. It is he who is actually a suitable for a backup United striker right now.
Fair enough.

Personally, I don't buy this at all! What United lack is two strikers who can consistently push each other for a starting spot. THAT is what I consider 'a back up striker".

We currently neither have the status nor the funds to go and sign a bonfafide "ready made starter". Especially anyone at or more than what we signed Hoijlund for given what we desperately need in other areas of this team.

So I'd rather we target players like either Zirkee, Sesko or even Guirharssy. People who can push a Hoijlund to stay on his toes rather than stall his development by benching him.

I'd go as far as to say lacking people who can consistently kept the likes of Rashford on their toes in wide areas killed their development. I'd like us to treat Hoijlund differently. I'd love his position to have the kinda fight for a place Maguire and Varane have had. Even Dalot & AWB.

Last edited:

G-manc

I thought he looked pretty good. Set up the third with an incisive one-touch through ball too.
I’m probably doing him a disservice judging him off one game.

I thought Saelemaekers was the best of Bologna’s front 3.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mean I'd rather have Hojlund than Lukaku starting though.

Sesko or Toney are my picks personally. Think we'll be priced out of Isak considering we need to address midfield/defense as the priority of our budget this summer.
Hojlund is a long way from Lukaku, objectively speaking. Aside from the fact that the caf has some sort of weird level of hatred for Lukaku, he has proven so much more than Rasmus Hojlund. It really would take very, very little for a striker to come in and improve upon what Hojlund has given us this season. Not that I am advocating for Lukaku, I was questioning the notion that we meed to be looking for a backup for Hojlund at all, as if he has cemented his place or something.

Sesko and Toney would have Hojlund firmly established as second choice within no time if we got either, based on what he’s shown. They would also be high up on my list.

Shinjch

Whoever comes in needs to be ready to hit the ground running and lead the line properly, it can't be another inexperienced "talent" who is learning on the job. Up front for United is not the place to be doing that, it's not fair on the young player either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A potentially high end finisher and lead the line forward when supplied. Like ANY other top striker of the Halaand ilk. Unlike the select few like Mbappe or Kane who are dribble wizards or can drop deep into midfield to create for themselves whilsr playing with a forwardline that ignores them 80% of the time.

As for Lukaku. He has proven time and again he hates competition, rotation even less. Above all he can't function in a side that hasn't sorted supply issues to the starting striker. Mind you am a fan of his. But his ill suited to this particular United side by far!

Right now of elite starting strikers only Kane, Toney or Osimhen would handle our issue of lack of supply uptop. They are also all out our of our money bracket.

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't buy this at all! What United lack is two strikers who can consistently push each other for a starting spot. THAT is what I consider 'a back up striker".

We currently neither have the status nor the funds to go and sign a bonfafide "ready made starter". Especially anyone at or more than what we signed Hoijlund for given what we desperately need in other areas of this team.

So I'd rather we target players like either Zirkee, Sesko or even Guirharssy. People who can push a Hoijlund to stay on his toes rather than stall his development by benching him.

I'd go as far as to say lacking people who can consistently kept the likes of Rashford on their toes in wide areas killed their development. I'd like us to treat Hoijlund differently. I'd love his position to have the kinda fight for a place Maguire and Varane have had. Even Dalot & AWB.
Fair enough, we don’t need to get Lukaku in particular, what I’m saying is we shouldn’t be looking for a player to backup Hojlund. I think we need a striker, ideally, who is CLEARLY better, or more ready, than Hojlund. I’d take Sesko, but I think we ideally need a ‘senior striker’.

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen with Harry Kane this summer tbh, I think he’d love to come here and he’s only in Germany because Levy wouldn’t let him.

Fair enough, we don’t need to get Lukaku in particular, what I’m saying is we shouldn’t be looking for a player to backup Hojlund. I think we need a striker, ideally, who is CLEARLY better, or more ready, than Hojlund. I’d take Sesko, but I think we ideally need a ‘senior striker’.

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see something happen with Harry Kane this summer tbh, I think he’d love to come here and he’s only in Germany because Levy wouldn’t let him.
do
No money. We will make do with 44m and below forwards. (Sesko, Zirkee etc). Unless we can convince a continental side to take like 40 & MG for a senior forward. Then maybe the likes of Kane, Vlahovic etc could be gettable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Toney is the obvious one who is at the right age to both be a starter now, develop Hojlund, and transition out at the time when Hojlund should make the step up, if he does. 1 year left on his deal too.

Sesko is the same as Hojlund. Promising young player who shouldn't be starting regularly for a team like United, he isn't better than Hojlund IMO (who knows on potential). Kane, no chance, he'll be at Bayern for a few years. The ship has sailed imo.

Toney is the obvious one who is at the right age to both be a starter now, develop Hojlund, and transition out at the time when Hojlund should make the step up, if he does. 1 year left on his deal too.

Sesko is the same as Hojlund. Promising young player who shouldn't be starting regularly for a team like United, he isn't better than Hojlund IMO (who knows on potential). Kane, no chance, he'll be at Bayern for a few years. The ship has sailed imo.
My thoughts too. If INEOS proves they have negotiation skills. We just might have a chance to get Toney

bosnian_red

My thoughts too. If INEOS proves they have negotiation skills. We just might have a chance to get Toney
I like to think we should be favourites. I don't think he's good enough for a side like Arsenal wanting to bridge the gap to City, while he fits in so well in so many ways here.

Some times you have to be smart in the transfer market (this summer I'd say that would be guys like Miguel Guttierez for LB, Tosin Adarabioyo for a depth CB), and other times you just do the no brainer signings (Tuchel as manager, Toney up top and Todibo at RCB). Good price, straight forward role, club connections... Just make it happen quickly and efficiently.

NZT-One

Fair enough.

Completely agree here.

Hojlund is a long way from Lukaku, objectively speaking. Aside from the fact that the caf has some sort of weird level of hatred for Lukaku, he has proven so much more than Rasmus Hojlund. It really would take very, very little for a striker to come in and improve upon what Hojlund has given us this season. Not that I am advocating for Lukaku, I was questioning the notion that we meed to be looking for a backup for Hojlund at all, as if he has cemented his place or something.

Sesko and Toney would have Hojlund firmly established as second choice within no time if we got either, based on what he’s shown. They would also be high up on my list.
See your point but would be against another young striker. I think we made a decision on Hojlund and now we have to keep committed to him. I'd re-check my stance on the matter after another year of performances like that but after just one year in a dysfunctional team, I think, that would be premature. We spent the money, we have to give him gametime to realize the potential. Also while a striker is important, I don't think we are going to compete for anything next year - certainly nothing that is worthy of spending big another time.

I like the Toney idea, though I think that might already be too big. I wanted Taremi last summer, that would have been an ideal striker combination, veteran and youngster. I guess, I'd try to get something like this going.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It wasn’t about “who has proven more”, the point is at this moment I think Hojlund is better than Lukaku. You clearly disagree as it seems you don’t rate Hojlund much at all which is fine.

I like to think we should be favourites. I don't think he's good enough for a side like Arsenal wanting to bridge the gap to City, while he fits in so well in so many ways here.

Some times you have to be smart in the transfer market (this summer I'd say that would be guys like Miguel Guttierez for LB, Tosin Adarabioyo for a depth CB), and other times you just do the no brainer signings (Tuchel as manager, Toney up top and Todibo at RCB). Good price, straight forward role, club connections... Just make it happen quickly and efficiently.
Man Toney just suits us completely. He can knit a forward line together. Has a mean free kick in him. Plus can score out of nothing and is just the right age to guide and push Rasmus. I Also hope we can do a summer of sensible in and out transfer in the manner you suggested, for the first time post Gill & Fergie. Especially for once utilizing the free transfer market

bosnian_red

Man Toney just suits us completely. He can knit a forward line together. Has a mean free kick in him. Plus can score out of nothing and is just the right age to guide and push Rasmus. I Also hope we can do a summer of sensible in and out transfer in the manner you suggested, for the first time post Gill & Fergie. Especially for once utilizing the free transfer market
Yeah. I wasn't for him when he was rumoured to be 80m plus, but 1 year left on his deal at his age should keep him below 50m which just makes sense for us more than others.

cpresc

Another positive for Toney is that he's turned himself around from train wreck to mature professional - which is definitely a vibe we need more in the squad.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Another positive for Toney is that he's turned himself around from train wreck to mature professional - which is definitely a vibe we need more in the squad.
Not sure that's true at all? He's just a good player and done well after a long layoff.

cpresc

Not sure that's true at all? He's just a good player and done well after a long layoff.
Well he went from Newcastle high potential to no-mans-land and back to being one of the Premierships top strikers and playing for England.

That sort of turnaround takes mental strength and builds resilience for sure

Doracle

Yeah. I wasn't for him when he was rumoured to be 80m plus, but 1 year left on his deal at his age should keep him below 50m which just makes sense for us more than others.
We paid over £50m for Mount, so it seems unlikely we will be able to get Toney for less than £65m+ (as I expect that to be a signing where we will face some fairly serious competition). I’d be keen on the signing but I don’t see how we can get this done, given the other signings we need this summer.

I think CF may be a position we need to make do this summer. I haven’t checked who is out of contract but it may be that market we need to look at, with our budget primarily being focussed on the midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Completely agree here.

See your point but would be against another young striker. I think we made a decision on Hojlund and now we have to keep committed to him. I'd re-check my stance on the matter after another year of performances like that but after just one year in a dysfunctional team, I think, that would be premature. We spent the money, we have to give him gametime to realize the potential. Also while a striker is important, I don't think we are going to compete for anything next year - certainly nothing that is worthy of spending big another time.

I like the Toney idea, though I think that might already be too big. I wanted Taremi last summer, that would have been an ideal striker combination, veteran and youngster. I guess, I'd try to get something like this going.
Hojlund is a huge part of that dysfunctional team though. He’s the striker in that team who offers poor link up, movement and goals return. Rather than everyone else limiting the potential of Hojlund, a striker with the general level he has shown this season will also always limit the potential of the football team he plays in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It wasn’t about “who has proven more”, the point is at this moment I think Hojlund is better than Lukaku. You clearly disagree as it seems you don’t rate Hojlund much at all which is fine.
I didn’t say it was, I’m saying Lukaku has proven that he is better than Hojlund. What happens tomorrow, what we have factored in by way of ‘projections’ are all a different matter, with no guarantees at all. I’m also referring to this moment in time. My hope is that Hojlund becomes better than today’s Lukaku for sure - but he’s a long way from it today, not because Lukaku is great, but because Hojlund is just about as useless of a striker you can get right now. He is offering nothing to the attack at all. I don’t say that he is condemned to this level, however, if both strikers were in our squad for the next game, I would start Lukaku.

I repeat, this is no championing of Lukaku, it is more an indictment of Hojlund’s current standard. I’d expect Michael Antonio or Che Adams to have offered more than he offered against Coventry. Or Bournemouth. Or Liverpool. Or Chelsea.

Xaviboy

Solanke. None of this settling in period and getting use to physicality of premier league

Solanke knows premier league and has showed he is capable of scoring goals.

With the right sevice he will score goals for us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I didn’t say it was, I’m saying Lukaku has proven that he is better than Hojlund. What happens tomorrow, what we have factored in by way of ‘projections’ are all a different matter, with no guarantees at all. I’m also referring to this moment in time. My hope is that Hojlund becomes better than today’s Lukaku for sure - but he’s a long way from it today, not because Lukaku is great, but because Hojlund is just about as useless of a striker you can get right now. He is offering nothing to the attack at all. I don’t say that he is condemned to this level, however, if both strikers were in our squad for the next game, I would start Lukaku.

I repeat, this is no championing of Lukaku, it is more an indictment of Hojlund’s current standard. I’d expect Michael Antonio or Che Adams to have offered more than he offered against Coventry. Or Bournemouth. Or Liverpool. Or Chelsea.
Right. Yeah I disagree.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Jonathan David, proven goals scorer in France, good age, ready to make the step up, a younger version of Ivan Tony/Ollie Watkins.
Always thought it strange how no one has bothered moving for him. He's been banging in goals for Lille for a few years now and has still yet to be snapped up which is bizarre considering how dearth the striker market is of options anyways.

OleGunnar20

While I agree that an established striker ala Isak would be ideal, with all the work we need to do on the squad I just don't think we will have the budget.

At his release clause i think Sesko looks like the best bet, unless we can pull an Alvarez esque rabbit out of a hat.

Marcos Leonardo looked promising though I haven't kept track at all this year. Any watchers of the Brazilian league here to chime in on him?

Andersons Dietician

Can I ask, what makes you say this? I only ask because me personally watching him he does a lot of the right things however we generally create nothing for him. I’m sure I saw a stat where he was extremely low on shots taken but was like 6th for conversion rate.

He makes good runs, is ok at hold up. He certainly has a lot to learn but I genuinely don’t see any player coming in to this team in its current set up and just banging in goals. Actually forget banging in goals scoring more than a handful looks like it would be a struggle.

Just wonder why you would use such harsh wording when it’s clearly a bigger issue than just the 1 guy.

On topic think Sesko is the way to go with his buyout. However think more work needs to be done on the wings and midfield to start making more scoring chances.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can I ask, what makes you say this? I only ask because me personally watching him he does a lot of the right things however we generally create nothing for him. I’m sure I saw a stat where he was extremely low on shots taken but was like 6th for conversion rate.

He makes good runs, is ok at hold up. He certainly has a lot to learn but I genuinely don’t see any player coming in to this team in its current set up and just banging in goals. Actually forget banging in goals scoring more than a handful looks like it would be a struggle.

Just wonder why you would use such harsh wording when it’s clearly a bigger issue than just the 1 guy.

On topic think Sesko is the way to go with his buyout. However think more work needs to be done on the wings and midfield to start making more scoring chances.
Because that’s what I see watching him?

He is invisible for much of our games. At Stamford Bridge he barely touched the ball, for example. He is not even working goalkeepers, let alone scoring. He is not creating chances for Garnacho and Rashford. His link play and hold up play have been poor.

So yes, there isn’t much less I would expect to get from a striker who is currently offering nothing to their team than what I am seeing from Hojlund presently. You say he isn’t getting chances created for him, but that is simply an explanation for why he is contributing nothing, not an objection to the point. He is battling with defenders, that’s about it - but I think it’s probably better that you say what you feel he is currently contributing to the team/attack if you disagree.

Andersons Dietician

Because that’s what I see watching him?

He is invisible for much of our games. At Stamford Bridge he barely touched the ball, for example. He is not even working goalkeepers, let alone scoring. He is not creating chances for Garnacho and Rashford. His link play and hold up play have been poor.

So yes, there isn’t much less I would expect to get from a striker who is currently offering nothing to their team than what I am seeing from Hojlund presently. You say he isn’t getting chances created for him, but that is simply an explanation for why he is contributing nothing, not an objection to the point. He is battling with defenders, that’s about it - but I think it’s probably better that you say what you feel he is currently contributing to the team/attack if you disagree.
I see it very different from you because he often creates space for others with his runs and blocks. He drags defenders out of position. So I really don’t get this “ he is contributing nothing” he contributes quite a lot, maybe not as eye catching or easy to observe as say McT scoring but he certainly is contributing.

We are however just a terrible team that needs a drastic overhaul from defence in to midfield, and then if he is not Getting on the end of chances or scoring then maybe it would be time to call it, but for me he is not the reason we don’t score many more goals.

Also to say invisible is crazy? Do you only watch actions on the ball?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I see it very different from you because he often creates space for others with his runs and blocks. He drags defenders out of position. So I really don’t get this “ he is contributing nothing” he contributes quite a lot, maybe not as eye catching or easy to observe as say McT scoring but he certainly is contributing.

We are however just a terrible team that needs a drastic overhaul from defence in to midfield, and then if he is not Getting on the end of chances or scoring then maybe it would be time to call it, but for me he is not the reason we don’t score many more goals.

Also to say invisible is crazy? Do you only watch actions on the ball?
Yes, pretty much. Not one for the ‘silent domination’. I’m a simple man, I consider a player to have had involvement in a game by his actions with the ball. I don’t disagree that as he goes through games with barely a touch that he is still running around and being a nuisance, but that is an extremely low bar and on par with what I would expect from a striker at any other side who I would consider to be offering little to nothing, if that is the sum total. It’s not good enough.

I agree that we are a terrible team though, and one that he is part of. Some of our players are playing well, and he is not amongst them.

RikRuud

Brobbey, Sesko, Janathan David would be good investments.

My pick would be Gyokeres but would be out of our budget.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well he went from Newcastle high potential to no-mans-land and back to being one of the Premierships top strikers and playing for England.

That sort of turnaround takes mental strength and builds resilience for sure
Then got banned for betting on games...