Sturridge vs Welbeck

Robbie Boy

So which of these two do the Caf think will go on to be the better player and have the more glittering career? Both are similar players, similar age and are in a similar position with both having good loan spells and having the oppurtunity to go back their respective clubs and try get a first team place for next season.

Welbeck has had a really good loan spell and unfortunately got injured right in the middle of a really good run. His England cap shows how much he has come on this season. I have high hopes for the lad and hope that he can force his way into the first team reckoning next season. 6 goals in 21 Premiership games.

Sturridge had shown glimpses of his talent at both City and Chelsea, was much sought after as a youngster and he is now starting to show why. I have been really impressed with him during his loan spell at Bolton, his overall play has been fantastic at times and he looks like he could develop into quite the player. 6 goals in 8 Premiership games.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sturridge's return is obviously much better in terms of goals. But I also think Danny has done it against better teams, for a longer period. Both great talents though.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Sturridge should have more opportunities to play next season at Chelsea than Welbeck at United.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A lot will depend on how much football they both get over the next few seasons. Both good players.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Had this conversation yesterday. I rate both. Sturridge looks a good player when he gets regular football. Been stifled at Chelsea...only getting a few games here and there.

Movement is good, decent eye for goal. Promising talent

Neutral

BTV
I think Sturridge is ahead of Welbeckinho in terms of his finishing atm. Really do feel Danny is a better passer of the ball overall though.

As for who is going to have the better career...not sure. Both players careers at their parent clubs are dependent on outgoings.

RedRover

Sturridge should have more opportunities to play next season at Chelsea than Welbeck at United.
I can see Sturridge moving of if Chelsea invest heavily and try to go back to 4-3-3. I suppose he could play wide. If he is available there'd be a few clubs interested - possibly even the likes of Liverpool and Spurs and he seems to want assurances of first team football.

If those rumours are true about a substantial bid from Sunderland Welbeck may not even be a United player next year. I also wouldn't rule out another season on loan.

I'm always right

Sturridge has had a sensational loan spell and has scored as many goals in 14 less games than Danny during his loan. Danny has played well in patches and that puts Sturridge ahead for me.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Wellbeck. I mean his goals per game ratios kinda distorted. He's played on the wing for a good number of games, and when he finally broke his duck his goals/game was impressive but then he picks up the injury and has to start again. He's performed against some big teams and helped make chelsea look silly earlier in the season. I think Sunderland clearly missed Wellbeck when he was injured. He offered them a 'fantasy' aspect to their play - that they had a forward who could drop deep, get involved, be creative etc

Both have clearly done well but I think Wellbecks had a bigger overall impact on Sunderlands play/confidence going into games.

I'm always right

Both have clearly done well but I think Wellbecks had a bigger overall impact on Sunderlands play/confidence going into games.
Sturridge has 6 goals in 8 appearances so basically the Bolton team expect him to score... surely that has a preeeetty fecking big impact on Bolton's play/confidence going into games :confused:

Striker10

Sturridge has 6 goals in 8 appearances so basically the Bolton team expect him to score... surely that has a preeeetty fecking big impact on Bolton's play/confidence going into games :confused:
yeah he's a striker but I would fancy bolton to stay up, not automatically sunderland (i'd have thought bottom half finish comfortable) who were riding high up the table prior to Wellbecks injury. I mean they were chasing a european place. Don't get me wrong. Yes it's impressive, but once Wellbeck found the net, his goals to games ratio was just as good. It's not bias. I think Danny overall is a better player. People talk about his finishing, but how many could he have been on if they played him up top in the first place rather then fannying about?

I'm always right

yeah he's a striker but I would fancy bolton to stay up, not automatically sunderland who were riding high up the table prior to Wellbecks injury. I mean they were chasing a european place. Don't get me wrong. Yes it's impressive, but once Wellbeck found the next, his goals to games ratio was just as good.
"but once he found the net?", what sort of argument is that? Torres like this :angel:

I think they are both good, but the more impressive loan spell is surely Sturridge, he's been sensational for them in every game.

Sam.G

I haven't seen a huge amount of either of them but, from what I have seen, Sturridge looks the better finisher while Welbeck looks to have more in his locker.

I'm always right

I haven't seen a huge amount of either of them but, from what I have seen, Sturridge looks the better finisher while Welbeck looks to have more in his locker.
Did you see Sturridge's 2 goals at the weekend? now that was locker. I think both have a lot in their respective lockers.

Striker10

"but once he found the net?", what sort of argument is that? Torres like this :angel:

I think they are both good, but the more impressive loan spell is surely Sturridge, he's been sensational for them in every game.
Yeah but he started off on the wing for a number of games (Wellbeck). Sturridge was played as a striker from day one. Wellbecks form started when he was put up top and he could get involved in games. I'm sure Sturridge is a good player but I know for certain I wouldn't swap him for Wellbeck. Obviously it's a team game but Sunderlands form prior to his injury and afterwards is a decent indication of what he brought to the club. Maybe if Sturridge had of got injured Bolton would struggle but Wellbecks a good finisher. He's got a good variety of finishes in his locker and he's improving. I didn't think he could head the ball, but he's scored some great headers this season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sturridge has had a sensational loan spell and has scored as many goals in 14 less games than Danny during his loan. Danny has played well in patches and that puts Sturridge ahead for me.
You can't take goals into account as Welbeck has played majority of the matches on the left hand side as compared to Sturridge who has played as a striker. Sturridge has obviously got a great scoring record but for a player who has mostly played as a winger and had two injuries, Danny's tally is looking good. It's a very close one and I think Sam is absolutely spot on.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Ugh, I knew a thread like this would be inevitable.

I prefer Sturridge & Welbeck, rather than 'vs'. They could be such a good partnership in the future; both very exciting, young players. Plus, Welbeck's younger :)

I'm always right

You can't take goals into account as Welbeck has played majority of the matches on the left hand side as compared to Sturridge who has played as a striker. Sturridge has obviously got a great scoring record but for a player who has mostly played as a winger and had two injuries, Danny's tally is looking good. It's a very close one and I think Sam is absolutely spot on.
Well it's a United forum so I'm not shocked that many are sticking up for our fellow manc.

Manc or not I'd put Sturridge ahead myself though, his first at the weekend was a cracker and the second was Ronaldo like, made PFA nominee Scott Parker look pedestrian.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He has?!

I could've sworn I watched him do sweet feck all against us. And Villa. Straight after each other.

I have to say I think if you'd asked the question this time last week there would've been a very different response.

Robbie Boy

Ugh, I knew a thread like this would be inevitable.

I prefer Sturridge & Welbeck, rather than 'vs'. They could be such a good partnership in the future; both very exciting, young players. Plus, Welbeck's younger :)
Well as they are extremely similar in many ways, I just thought that I would get some scope from fellow football fans and see what the general consensus was as to who people think will be the better player. And also Welbeck is naturally enough mentioned quite-a-bit on this forum as a potential superstar and Sturridge hardly gets a mention.

I'm always right

He has?!

I could've sworn I watched him do sweet feck all against us. And Villa. Straight after each other.

I have to say I think if you'd asked the question this time last week there would've been a very different response.
Oh, so 2 of the 3 games he failed to score in. Ok then, nearly every game. I actually thought he played pretty well against Villa, he was just a little wasteful. And United away, you do realise we've dropped something like 2 points at home all season?

I doubt the response would've been so different last week, Sturridge had still scored in 4 consecutive games before those 2 matches.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very tough call.

I'd sit on the fence for now ;)

Football can change in a matter of weeks for such young players, so it's a really tough call. Sturridge probably (slightly) shades it atm. Not much to chose from IMO though.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Welbeck's over a year younger and not as advanced in his physical development. But, as other have been saying, he's got more to his game than Sturridge and is the rarer talent. We've had this debate before btw.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Welbeck for me, Sturridge tries too hard to show off, dribble into tight spots and tries too hard to do the spectacular...

He's done well for Bolton, but how is it that he didn't hack it for Chelsea ? It's because he makes easy things hard and he'll always continue to do that from what I've seen.

I didn't get to watch all the games he played for Bolton though, only a couple and to me he's not as good overall as Welbeck who has been magnificent for Sunderland.

It'll be an on-going debate but if Sturridge can be more of a team player and starts to do a Nani, then he might be better than Welbeck...

I'm always right

He's done well for Bolton, but how is it that he didn't hack it for Chelsea ? It's because he makes easy things hard and he'll always continue to do that from what I've seen.
Harsh... he had Anelka and Drogba in front of him, followed by 50m Fernando Torres.

We could ask the same question about Danny and United but it'd be stupid, they are both young and "hacking it" at their ages has nothing to do with anything.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Sturridge at City looked very promising indeed. His move to Chelsea was a mistake and slowed his progress. I think he will be a more complete forward though. I have always rated him.

Welbeck I am still not 100% sure about but I want to see him given a chance with us next season.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Oh, so 2 of the 3 games he failed to score in. Ok then, nearly every game. I actually thought he played pretty well against Villa, he was just a little wasteful. And United away, you do realise we've dropped something like 2 points at home all season?

I doubt the response would've been so different last week, Sturridge had still scored in 4 consecutive games before those 2 matches.
Well yes, 25% of his games he hasn't played well in. I'd wager Welbeck's done about the same so far. Was just pointing out you were going a tad over the top.

When Welbeck put on a MOTM performance Chelsea had only lost two games in the league, against City and Liverpool, and they've only lost one other home game all season. Didn't stop him. The fact that Sturridge didn't play well against us isn't conclusive evidence of anything, but it's still a very poor game he should be credited with.

acnumber9

Sturridge strikes me as a player who plays with his head down too much. He reminds me of somebody like Bent or Saha. Will be a good goalscorer but not quite good enough all round for the bigger clubs.

I'm always right

Sturridge strikes me as a player who plays with his head down too much. He reminds me of somebody like Bent or Saha. Will be a good goalscorer but not quite good enough all round for the bigger clubs.
So Saha wasn't quite good enough for us?

I don't know many reds who'd agree with that, a fit Saha was more than good enough for us.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've mentioned a few times that I don't think Sturridge is all that. He's quick, can dribble and can score but his all round team contribution is really lacking imo. I think he'll go on to have a good Premier League career at a team regularly flirting with Europa league football but I don't see him making it at a big club.

I see him being another Defoe/Bent.

Welbeck is behind in terms of his finishing (by quite some distance) but his all round play is miles better. He looks to bring other people into play whereas Sturridge plays only for himself.

I'm in no doubt whatsiever that Welbeck will go on to be a much better player than Sturridge.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I don't know many reds who'd agree with that, a fit Saha was more than good enough for us.
Aye it's an odd comparison that. Bent is nowhere near Saha's league. A fully fit Saha is fecking brilliant.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agreed.

Playing through the middle their strike-rates are almost identical. Danny's won't have been helped, mind you, by coming back from a long-term injury into a team that's in free-fall - playing absolutely terrible football. Plus, he's got age on his side.

acnumber9

Not for me no. I found him an infuriating player even without the injuries. He can go from the sublime to the ridiculous all too regularly. Shoots when he should pass far too often. I don't think Saha was good enough at link up play to be a success at a big club.

acnumber9

Aye it's an odd comparison that. Bent is nowhere near Saha's league. A fully fit Saha is fecking brilliant.
I would suggest Bent has a vastly superior goalscoring record. Both are pleyers who struggle with link up play.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Sturridge is a finisher, potentially a very good one, about Defoe level. But Welbeck is so much more.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
And Saha was/is a great striker when fit. Has everything you would want.