Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

gasmanc

Banned
By all accounts Rodgers and the club have worked to improve this "thing" he has within him. His performances last season and virtually no yellow cards suggests that there was an infrastructure there to support the man and player. He was far less confrontational with refs and looked genuinely more content. However, whether it's because he's currently outside that framework or this was inevitably going to happen wherever he was is pretty difficult to know.

Liverpool know they have an outstanding asset and are obviously going to do their best to improve him for footballing and financial reasons. The motivations from Liverpool are likely to be predominantly self-interest based but that's the nature of professional sport. To suggest Liverpool don't care is a bit simplistic.
Well at least your actually talking sense regarding his latest incident but you can't deny that the club has contributed to his victim mentality. Remember Suarez words after his two goals versus England, the words of a man feeling victimised despite being found guilty of racial slurs and two cases of biting a fellow human. The club may have put framework in place to protect their investment but in retrospect they should have been the ones punishing his actions also, it's been a fairly shameless display really.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
he's talked about him being a great footballer and a good influence in training, the former is definitely true and as far as we know so is the latter, its not like after the ivanovic thing brendan was like "oh he just had a wee nip at him so he did ok so", he said he was out of order and it was not expected of a liverpool player, that he'd let the club down
Nah it was definitely about him being a good man and wonderful human being.

No one would give a shit if he said he was a great footballer, we all think that.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
All this outrage towards suarez is so ridiculous. Yeah he deserves a ban but people ae going overboard with this lifetime ban/club ban nonsense.

what balotelli did in the same match was much more dangerous, he could have killed him
Watch a game of AFL - this happens all the time and no one has been killed.

Lewy89

Nah it was definitely about him being a good man and wonderful human being.

No one would give a shit if he said he was a great footballer, we all think that.
in his experience, he only ever criticized his actions on ivanovic

tippex

I wonder when we can expect the statement from FIFA I know they said today/tomorrow but im not staying up much longer

AllezLesDiables

I don't know, man. They're doing what anyone would do under the circumstances - more or less. Let's wait until he has actually been punished/banned before passing too heavy a judgment on the team - not to mention the nation of Uruguay. Suarez is a bit special, you know - he doesn't represent the people of Uruguay.

On the contrary, when a player in any sport commits an agredious act, managers and the origanization typically issue a statement that says something to the effect of we are reviewing the matter internally to assess the incident and we will mete out punishment if in our review we deem that incident in question merits action from us.

I've never seen a professional sports organization go with the everyone else is crazy and doesn't understand what is happening defense, which makes the comments from the Uruguayan player, manager, and newspaper so bizarre.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
in his experience, he only ever criticized his actions on ivanovic
He barely even did that.

In the aftermath, Rodgers said he was shocked and bitterly disappointed. Not at Suarez though, at the severity of the ban!

He then tried to explain away Suarez's behaviour as a consequence of his South American upbringing. Again, making excuses for him and trying to make it out like it's not really his fault he's the way he is.

Rodgers has been Suarez's number one cheerleader over the last 2 years.

Not everyone associated with Liverpool is a sycophantic moron though: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legends-label-luis-suarez-3764028

Moriarty

He barely even did that.

In the aftermath, Rodgers said he was shocked and bitterly disappointed. Not at Suarez though, at the severity of the ban!

He then tried to explain away Suarez's behaviour as a consequence of his South American upbringing. Again, making excuses for him and trying to make it out like it's not really his fault he's the way he is.

Rodgers has been Suarez's number one cheerleader over the last 2 years.
I've never been to Uruguay but I've been to Peru and Bolivia. Never saw people biting each other gratuitously there.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I have no idea what the Uruguayan FA have said, just various personal statements by people associated with the team. In any case, whatever the FA does is bound to be a car crash, the long-standing President got sacked a couple of months ago after some disagreements with the government.

It's comical shit, the man wearing the team's mascot (the Light Blue Duck) costume is a personal friend of the country's Presient and was involved in some dodgy deals. The FAs President tried to remove him from the post (yes, as NT mascot, seriously) so the country's president (a former guerrilla guy who gets loads of great international press, feck knows why) stopped providing policing at matches, which effectively made it impossible to carry on with the league games, which in turn lead the league clubs to sack their own President and man responsible for putting in place a fecking brilliant infrastructure and process from the grassroots up, led by Tabarez.

Imagine what sort of wankers have been appointed to please the country's president and our NT mascot.
thats insane. I had a good laugh, while reading it. Its just too absurd. Sadly its also very serious and people/football suffers.
You made good statements, that are fair. I guess I misunderstood you at the beginning.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
On the contrary, when a player in any sport commits an agredious act, managers and the origanization typically issue a statement that says something to the effect of we are reviewing the matter internally to assess the incident and we will mete out punishment if in our review we deem that incident in question merits action from us.

I've never seen a professional sports organization go with the everyone else is crazy and doesn't understand what is happening defense, which makes the comments from the Uruguayan player, manager, and newspaper so bizarre.
Egregious. But yes, I said it looks bad - and it looks as though they ain't handling it well at all. We'll see how this turns out - and whether they handle the inevitable punishment Suarez will get any better. One might have reason to doubt it - but I prefer to wait and see before passing judgment. What has come out so far are reactions to an incident which hasn't been formally dealt with - and whether we like it or not, most teams/managements/federations are unlikely to outright condemn their most important player when the team are still in the running.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
No surprise if it is 6 games.

The product is more important than safety or representing a positive image . If you take out Suarez for an extended period, too many people lose money, Suarez, his club, sponsors, UEFA, FIFA.

If this was an amateur sport I would expect much more severe actions. Cash rules everything around me.

Last edited:

AllezLesDiables

Egregious. But yes, I said it looks bad - and it looks as though they ain't handling it well at all. We'll see how this turns out - and whether they handle the inevitable punishment Suarez will get any better. One might have reason to doubt it - but I prefer to wait and see before passing judgment. What has come out so far are reactions to an incident which hasn't been formally dealt with - and whether we like it or not, most teams/managements/federations are unlikely to outright condemn their most important player when the team are still in the running.
Laff spell check failed me. There no problem defending someone when there's doubt or question but when 99.9% of world believes he intentionally bit Chiellini and various Uruguay are trying to convince everyone it was an accident or no big deal they're just poisoning the well.

What's even worse is his lawyer (who is also Uruguayan) is saying he's a victim and there's a conspiracy between the Italian and English media to have a go at Suarez because Uruguay knocked them both out.

Given how certain Uruguayans are acting it's almost not too much to have Uruguay banned.

ea385

It's comical shit, the man wearing the team's mascot (the Light Blue Duck) costume is a personal friend of the country's Presient and was involved in some dodgy deals. The FAs President tried to remove him from the post (yes, as NT mascot, seriously) so the country's president (a former guerrilla guy who gets loads of great international press, feck knows why) stopped providing policing at matches, which effectively made it impossible to carry on with the league games, which in turn lead the league clubs to sack their own President and man responsible for putting in place a fecking brilliant infrastructure and process from the grassroots up, led by Tabarez.
He gets that press because of the good job he has done and his great personal story. Being a "guerrilla guy" and standing up to fascist scum is certainly part of it.

DaniDan

6, 10, 15, it's the same: he's out of the tournament + couple of friendlies. Good riddance.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The sad thing is that I've already heard from a couple of mates that it's not a big deal, cause 'he only bites innit' and that if anything it's Chiellini who should have walked for the elbow. I'd wager there are a whole lot more observers like that, esp. those who were desperately rooting for Uruguay as they don't like Italy or saw Uruguay as the underdogs.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I rate the British press for the most part. What I said about Tabarez'press conference being predictable was that after the way he reacted in South Africa (rightly, in my opinion) his immediate reaction here was "they are at it again".

I'm not saying he is right, but I genuinely think he wasn't in a position to make a call and tried to deflect. The most damning footage only came out today really, initial one wasn't so clear cut and blatant and, as you know, during the game we get nothing. He has very little to room for manoeuvre in fairness. I haven't met a single fan today who hasn't rolled eyes and gone "ffs, he should know better". Not a single one of them will do anything but defend him to the hilt though. Rock and a hard place and all that.
Fair enough. Anyone but Suarez and I'd be less attack dog about it in fairness. He's probably the only footballer with the ability to wind me up.

It's not really even him (I'm sure he's lovely to his kids and always feeds his dog etc etc) but the way he's indulged by apologists because he's very good at something is a particularly rankling thing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Luis Suárez’s Giorgio Chiellini clash adds to story of violence and deceit
Uruguayan hero has been so indulged by his apologists that he is starting to believe that there is a conspiracy against him
Here is a prediction from Cathal Kelly, a sports columnist for the Toronto Star, in a piece he wrote about Suárez from 15 December 2013. “He will do something insane at this summer’s World Cup – mark it down. Afterwards, he will prompt an ugly transfer saga for a world-record fee.”
More:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/25/luis-suarez-giorgio-chiellini-violence-deceit

Eila

Betoing him from the cup + giving him an ultimatum on his antics is the least FIFA can do.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Laff spell check failed me. There no problem defending someone when there's doubt or question but when 99.9% of world believes he intentionally bit Chiellini and various Uruguay are trying to convince everyone it was an accident or no big deal they're just poisoning the well.

What's even worse is his lawyer (who is also Uruguayan) is saying he's a victim and there's a conspiracy between the Italian and English media to have a go at Suarez because Uruguay knocked them both out.

Given how certain Uruguayans are acting it's almost not too much to have Uruguay banned.
I'm sorry about that - was a cheap shot.

I still think we should be careful about damning a whole team (not to mention a whole nation) for the actions of Suarez, though. His lawyer, the conspiracy theories, all this - is bad. No question about it. But I think many Uruguayans feel that way too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It will be a 10 game ban suspended for 10 years so can serve it when he is 37. I expect nothing less from those clowns FIFA

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He gets that press because of the good job he has done and his great personal story. Being a "guerrilla guy" and standing up to fascist scum is certainly part of it.
He hasn't done a good job and he was part of a guerrilla against a democratically elected government, not fascist scum. It was in the process of fighting that guerrilla, about 7-10 years into it, that the Army took over.

gasmanc

Banned
He needs to be banned from all football for a year.
That might make him think twice but as long the bolded part below remains true he will just feel victimised, it could ultimately feed his feelings and make him worse.

Fair enough. Anyone but Suarez and I'd be less attack dog about it in fairness. He's probably the only footballer with the ability to wind me up.

It's not really even him (I'm sure he's lovely to his kids and always feeds his dog etc etc) but the way he's indulged by apologists because he's very good at something is a particularly rankling thing.

JSArsenal

By all accounts Rodgers and the club have worked to improve this "thing" he has within him. His performances last season and virtually no yellow cards suggests that there was an infrastructure there to support the man and player. He was far less confrontational with refs and looked genuinely more content. However, whether it's because he's currently outside that framework or this was inevitably going to happen wherever he was is pretty difficult to know.

Liverpool know they have an outstanding asset and are obviously going to do their best to improve him for footballing and financial reasons. The motivations from Liverpool are likely to be predominantly self-interest based but that's the nature of professional sport. To suggest Liverpool don't care is a bit simplistic.
If they've worked on it then they clearly haven't done a stellar job of it. So you're saying that he has behaved so well this season (which is open to interpretation) because of Liverpool and now without Liverpool he was bound to regress to old behaviours?

I'm not saying they don't care, just that they are putting their own needs ahead of his and ignoring the real problem by pointing fingers at everyone else and trying to absolve Suarez of any wrongdoing.

Everyone on here seems to have missed there's a difference between what you do in public and privately. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind Suarez will get a -compassionate/pleading- grilling from some of the other players and Tabarez. Throwing him under the bus is an entirely different thing and way to go about things, that's for others to do, including FIFA.
If you think so but I don't. FIFA are the governing body but they are too far removed from the situation in a sense, the coaches and players at Liverpool/Uruguay are the ones who will interact with Suarez daily and the ones who would have more of an opportunity to reach him. I'm not advocating throwing him under the bus, just that they stop coddling him and tell Suarez to grow up and take responsibility.

Also, someone here mentioned how Rodgers made Suarez train on his own, that wasn't because of the biting incident or anything like that, it was purely because Suarez wanted a transfer out of Liverpool last summer (months removed from the Ivanovic incident) and that was Rodgers' idea of discipline. Altercation with Evra and biting a fellow professional and he can still train with the first team, hand in a transfer request now and its an entire different ball game.

There are ways of supporting Suarez without going to the extreme like what Lugano said (if he did say it in reality). To come out with such a strong statement and call out Chiellini at the same time just seems OTT. Could have simply said "I didn't see the incident, Luis is a friend and very important to the Uruguayan team, no further comment until after FIFA makes its ruling"

Hey, may be the bloke is beyond anyone's help and this is just who he is but that doesn't mean his behaviour has to be excused or somehow rationalized as normal.

Cristiano_RAFC

Has anyone considered the possibility that he might just be involved in somekind of dare? Like... "No way you'll bite someone again Luis! I dare you to do it."

Or maybe he was forced to bite someone at this world cup by those Scandinavian betters who earned money from his bite. It's the Scandinavian mafia that threatened poor Luis to do it. Has there been any suspicious betting action going on that involved Suarez lately? I might be on to something!

gasmanc

Banned
Has anyone considered the possibility that he might just be involved in somekind of dare? Like... "No way you'll bite someone again Luis! I dare you to do it."

Or maybe he was forced to bite someone at this world cup by those Scandinavian betters who earned money from his bite. It's the Scandinavian mafia that threatened poor Luis to do it. Has there been any suspicious betting action going on that involved Suarez lately? I might be on something!
Fixed and true.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid