Subbing Pickford before penalties

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
so I have been thinking...

had Southgate wanted a proper reshuffle before pens... should he not have gone all Van Gaal and put Sam Johnstone instead of Pickford in the 120th minute. Taller keeper (three inches more), arguably a better shot stopper.

He would have got his hand on at least one penalty. Rather than bringing on Rashford and Sancho, who have to deliver in one go, Johnstone would have had 5 tries to stop a penalty. Less pressure on the keeper subbed in who has several tries to save a pen, than on outfield players who must convert their one penalty.

Also the psychological boost of keeping control of the narrative.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
pickford saved 2/5, donarumma saved 2/4, that's not what made the difference

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Didn’t he make enough mistakes in the shootout?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
pickford saved 2/5, donarumma saved 2/4, that's not what made the difference
Just thinking in terms of substitution strategy. You bring on 2 players just to take one penalty each. They barely played all tournament.

Why not rather changing your keeper, you show you have control of the shootout narrative, and the guy is actually taller and can save at least a penalty.

So you keep outfield players, no Sancho no Rashford, only Pickford.

England would be Euros champions

Infestissumam

nah, Pickford is not that bad at pens actually ... he's saved 7 out of 21 in the PL, that's decent enough. This was not a De Gea situation.

Pickford saved two pens, that wasn't the issue at all. The real issue was the manager subbing on two "cold" players without ever trusting them during this tournament and letting a 19-year-old take the last pen. For a guy who has been applauded for his man management, that was some really terrible man management.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He did his job, we just couldn’t convert. Weird thread tbf.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Pickford was 6th for TAKING a pen also

Zoo

Pickford saved the same amount of pens as 6ft 5 inch Donnarunma. One of them was against Jorginho and he wasn’t far away from Bonucci’s too.

alsabi

Would it have been better to have Kane, as the best penalty taker, as no.5 (knowing this can often be the crucial one) and another outfielder as no.1 - or is the risk of an early miss/morale hit so great that you need to go with your best first?

Obviously the risk is that you mess up early and never reach no. 5...

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Did you watch the same shootout as the rest of us?

Stringer

I'm going to be optimistic and assume OP is trolling otherwise there are no words.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Crazy thread :houllier::houllier::houllier:

Pickford is of course not a great keeper but he is very very good at penalty shoot-outs.

Columbia: He saved 2 penalties (out of 6)

Switzerland: He saved 1 penalty (out of 5) and scored 1 penalty

Italy: He saved 2 penalties (out of 5)

TheReligion

Abusive
so I have been thinking...

had Southgate wanted a proper reshuffle before pens... should he not have gone all Van Gaal and put Sam Johnstone instead of Pickford in the 120th minute. Taller keeper (three inches more), arguably a better shot stopper.

He would have got his hand on at least one penalty. Rather than bringing on Rashford and Sancho, who have to deliver in one go, Johnstone would have had 5 tries to stop a penalty. Less pressure on the keeper subbed in who has several tries to save a pen, than on outfield players who must convert their one penalty.

Also the psychological boost of keeping control of the narrative.
Is Johnstone's record with pens better than Pickford's?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Pickford wasn't the problem in the shootout.

Unless the second keeper is a known for being a good penalty stopper there is no point in doing it.

mu4c_20le

Take out Saka and we win.

Can never take the bottle out of the arsenal

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Altogether I am afraid Southgate's strategy is a reflection of English and Anglo-Saxon mentality of individualism and "star system".

He wanted to put Rashford MBE and Sancho the new United darling, because they are hype and fame.

He should have gone for team spirit and let Johnstone, the symbol of struggling footballers, on loan from club to club, have a say in proceedings. The grinder for whom a nerve-wracking penalty shootout is just another day at the office. Team spirit, everyone is equal, the star millionaires and the subdued underdogs.

Guess that did not sit well with his elitist view of what football stands for. Cherry on the cake of course was Rashford coming on as a right-back in regular time, running back, defending, taking throws, acting like a mere water-carrier.

What a comedy from Southgate, proper Commedia Dell'Arte stuff!

Last edited:

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Is Johnstone's record with pens better than Pickford's?
Sam Johnstone - 12 career saves out of 31 (39%) including four last season

Jordan Pickford - 11 out of 35 (31%) only one last season

Small margins is what separates winners from losers in football, as in life

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah, I'd have kept him on but also subbed on Johnstone as well.

Two keepers in goal would have been more than enough and I'm not sure why teams don't try this more often.
I think it is not allowed to have two keepers in the goal during the shootouts, but you can alternate between them, which would heavily confuse the other team, and make them guess which keeper will be for which shot.

Blood Mage

Pickford wasn't the problem. Letting 18 year old Saka take a pen before Sterling and Grealish was idiotic.

Eternitiy

Must've missed the shootout you. Pickford was superb, the save from Jorginho was the best penalty save of the entire tournament.
Perhaps the best penalty save of all time, given the accuracy of the shot, the significance of the occasion, and player he had saved it from. I thought for that brief moment after the save, that surely it had come home.

Then up stepped Saka... (Southgate's fault).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pickford is great in shootouts. :lol:

Saved two so exactly the same ratio as Donnarumma. Wasn't far off getting the Bonnuci one but that was too well placed for him to get a strong hand. If it had been a yard lower then he'd likely have pulled off a similar save to the one he did v Colombia and England would've been on verge of winning at that point.

I actually think a bigger regret now is not putting him as one of the five takers. He scored a penalty v Swiss in the nations league a few years ago and would've been on a high if he'd been placed at 5th say after keeping out the Jorginho penalty so in hindsight a much better option than Saka. Apparently it leaked he was listed as sixth in the order. I think he'll take one next time England are in a shoot out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sam Johnstone - 12 career saves out of 31 (39%) including four last season

Jordan Pickford - 11 out of 35 (31%) only one last season

Small margins is what separates winners from losers in football, as in life
I can actually remember Johnstone saving a penalty from Bruno Fernandes which not many keepers can say...but he was about 3 yards off his line saving it so had to be retaken and Bruno scored the second attempt.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I can actually remember Johnstone saving a penalty from Bruno Fernandes which not many keepers can say...but he was about 3 yards off his line saving it so had to be retaken and Bruno scored the second attempt.
He saved from Declan Rice and Ward-Prowse, as well as saving two in the same game against Brighton. All in calendar year 2021!

Clearly he would have been subbed in by Van Gaal and England would be champs. Instead Southgate stuck with Pickfraud...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He saved from Declan Rice and Ward-Prowse, as well as saving two in the same game against Brighton. All in calendar year 2021!

Clearly he would have been subbed in by Van Gaal and England would be champs. Instead Southgate stuck with Pickfraud...
I watched the Brighton game, pretty sure Welbeck hit the post from one of the pens. Or might've been Pascal Gross.

Edit; Welbeck hit the post, Gross the crossbar. :lol:

With that record saving from English takers Italy should've looked for some Italian heritage in his family tree and called him up for their bench instead. ;)