Television Succession

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Great. Season three was the weakest so far (but had a great finale), but I do think the pandemic affected it a lot.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
fecked is a relative term I guess. I think they are all coming out of this with a couple of billion. But they are all essentially dead weight now, and they know it. Individually and collectively they are idiots, and they have been fighting over who is taking over Daddy’s empire their whole lives. With that being their sole ambition. Now there is no empire. None of them are actual CEO material of a company that size, and were relying on the nepotism. Even if they outwardly presented themselves as brilliant. Everyone, including Logan, know the three kids are total feck ups. They know they have no chance at the top table without him.

So yeah, fecked in terms of their ambitions. But not fecked in the real sense. They are all billionaires.
Are they billionaires? I always took it as they're in the hundred millions whilst Logan is in the billions... not that it makes much difference I suppose.

I was wondering if they're not a little bit fecked in the sense that they're all used to living such a ridiculously lavish lifestyle, that now they don't have a steady stream of income (which I assume they got from shares + salary - neither of which they'll have now) they might have to start actually thinking about how they live (not immediately, but maybe later in life? I don't know - how far does hundred of millions get you these days?! :wenger:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Are they billionaires? I always took it as they're in the hundred millions whilst Logan is in the billions... not that it makes much difference I suppose.

I was wondering if they're not a little bit fecked in the sense that they're all used to living such a ridiculously lavish lifestyle, that now they don't have a steady stream of income (which I assume they got from shares + salary - neither of which they'll have now) they might have to start actually thinking about how they live (not immediately, but maybe later in life? I don't know - how far does hundred of millions get you these days?! :wenger:
IIRC from season 3, Kendall definitely had over a billion $ worth of shares at that point. Think he mentioned it during the episode where he was celebrating his birthday party.

frostbite

Does this get any better?

It gets 8.8 on IMDB and I thought I'd try it. I have now watched 7 episodes and I find that I am forcing myself to watch this shite because I want to finish the first season. However, I cannot really find anything I like. It is not just that every character is a prick, I can accept that. My main problem is that so much unreasonable bullshit is happening, unbelievable coincidences, and so on. For example, episode 6 is rated 9.1, and in that one the hero misses an all important, monumental, life-defining meeting because of a... terrorist attack in NY (completely unrelated and never mentioned ever again). Are you kidding me?

Does it get any better or are all seasons like these 7 episodes?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It gets 8.8 on IMDB and I thought I'd try it. I have now watched 7 episodes and I find that I am forcing myself to watch this shite because I want to finish the first season. However, I cannot really find anything I like. It is not just that every character is a prick, I can accept that. My main problem is that so much unreasonable bullshit is happening, unbelievable coincidences, and so on. For example, episode 6 is rated 9.1, and in that one the hero misses an all important, monumental, life-defining meeting because of a... terrorist attack in NY (completely unrelated and never mentioned ever again). Are you kidding me?

This isn't a marvel movie, you need to watch it with a little bit of attention.. E.g. there never was a terrorist attack.
Also there aren't really any (super) heroes in this one. That's part of the shoe's point.

Last edited:

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Likely not for you.

frostbite

This isn't a marvel movie, you need to watch it with a little bit of attention.. E.g. there never was a terrorist attack.
Also there aren't really any (super) heroes in this one. That's part of the shoe's point.
Are you sure about that? The guy walked from the tunnel to lower Manhattan while he was simultaneously talking on the phone. Are we sure he is not a superhero?

(Unfortunately he arrived only a minute after everything ended... for just 15 minutes he missed it!!! Ah, the coincidences! )

Last edited:

frostbite

Likely not for you.
Yes, that's my feeling too. But why do people give it such a high score? I really could not find anything attractive or interesting. Perhaps people like it because they show that billionaires are unhappy and have family problems? Is that the main draw?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yes, that's my feeling too. But why do people give it such a high score? I really could not find anything attractive or interesting. Perhaps people like it because they show that billionaires are unhappy and have family problems? Is that the main draw?
Mate, the example you picked in your rant shows that you missed basic dialogue, maybe this isn't one of those cases where it's everyone else who is wrong.

frostbite

Mate, the example you picked in your rant shows that you missed basic dialogue, maybe this isn't one of those cases where it's everyone else who is wrong.
Oh, don't worry. I picked the dialogue. And it was bullshit. They say that they will not have any other chance to do it again. But in real life, the majority can call a board meeting at any time, especially for such an important issue.

frostbite

But no, in the minds of these writers, he could do it only on this one particular day. No other day is good. And on that particular day, he rides his helicopter, and then there is a terrorist thread just during the right moment, and he cannot come back. What a coincidence! If the terrorist attack happened 3 hours earlier, he would never be able to get away and we would have such great tension!

But our hero does manage to come back! On foot! Unfortunately, he is 10 minutes late. Only if he run a little faster, only if his car moved a little farther! But no, so unlucky!

Yet, he arrives just in time to get fired in person!

Is this really considered good writing?

Moby

Dick

You realise its a comedy right ?

frostbite

You realise its a comedy right ?
No, not really. Is it satire? I did not realize that.

My mom was watching Dallas in the 1980s. I have no idea what Dallas was like, I have not watched a single episode, but I got the impression that Succession is a modern Dallas. Perhaps I am completely wrong about this, because I am not sure what Dallas was about, except that it was a rich family with a lot of intrigue.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It is ok to not like a show. It is not ok to rage about why others like that show though.

frostbite

It is ok to not like a show. It is not ok to rage about why others like that show though.
I am not raging about anything. I am just trying to understand what the other people find good about this show, just in order to decide if it is a good idea to continue or not. Because I found a lot of things that did not seem rational to me (and I mentioned only one of those!).

Unfortunately, nobody wrote anything about the good aspects of this show, I felt like I was just attacked for no reason ("you missed basic dialogue", "This isn't a marvel movie", etc).

Oh well, never mind! Guys forget it, I will not reply any more about this. Sorry if my nitpicking offended you!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
the funny thing is that is so unreal that its actually real. That's what happens in most third generation companies I know. Actually I was thinking of making a parody video on Manchester United within those lines and by borrowing the iconic intro sound track. You'd have SAF (similar to Logan Roy) with successes coming in and then Moyesy, Nevly, Carricky, Fletchery, Phelany and Oley trying (and failing) in succeeding him

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I am not raging about anything. I am just trying to understand what the other people find good about this show, just in order to decide if it is a good idea to continue or not. Because I found a lot of things that did not seem rational to me (and I mentioned only one of those!).

Unfortunately, nobody wrote anything about the good aspects of this show, I felt like I was just attacked for no reason ("you missed basic dialogue", "This isn't a marvel movie", etc).

Oh well, never mind! Guys forget it, I will not reply any more about this. Sorry if my nitpicking offended you!
It also took me time to get into the show but I was mostly in by episode 6. I also found S2 to be much stronger than first one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
But no, in the minds of these writers, he could do it only on this one particular day. No other day is good. And on that particular day, he rides his helicopter, and then there is a terrorist thread just during the right moment, and he cannot come back. What a coincidence! If the terrorist attack happened 3 hours earlier, he would never be able to get away and we would have such great tension!

But our hero does manage to come back! On foot! Unfortunately, he is 10 minutes late. Only if he run a little faster, only if his car moved a little farther! But no, so unlucky!

Yet, he arrives just in time to get fired in person!

Is this really considered good writing?
You could use your logic for literally any plot point in any show. He’s late because he’s desperate to get people on his side for the board meeting so he risks the trip. Air space gets closed over places like NY all the time and I’m sure they just say threat, which is just caution. He gave himself enough time to make it back which is why he almost does, but even then he calls in which is still ok. It’s the fact that he’s not physically there to prop up the fence sitters like Roman that means he has to listen to it whilst Logan bullies them down from their positions. He gets there late but the damage is already done at that point and had been for most of his running back to the office.

If you can’t suspend your belief for this kind of thing I’m not sure what else you do watch.

The strength is the dialogue and all the different dynamics at play between the characters as the seasons go on. But if you don’t like it then it’s probably not for you.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You could use your logic for literally any plot point in any show. He’s late because he’s desperate to get people on his side for the board meeting so he risks the trip. Air space gets closed over places like NY all the time and I’m sure they just say threat, which is just caution. He gave himself enough time to make it back which is why he almost does, but even then he calls in which is still ok. It’s the fact that he’s not physically there to prop up the fence sitters like Roman that means he has to listen to it whilst Logan bullies them down from their positions. He gets there late but the damage is already done at that point and had been for most of his running back to the office.

If you can’t suspend your belief for this kind of thing I’m not sure what else you do watch.

The strength is the dialogue and all the different dynamics at play between the characters as the seasons go on. But if you don’t like it then it’s probably not for you.
It's a weird scene to choose to nitpick at, cos it's actually not a particularly hard one to believe.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@frostbite This show is very much character driven and not so much plot driven. What drives it forward is not what happens but rather what people do in their interactions with each other. As for what people find attractive in it, I like character studies and there's a lot of stuff to unravel here. As mentioned, it likely isn't for you, but there's plenty to like here.

Loon

:lol:
It’s King Lear with punchlines. Fantastic show, brilliantly written.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
No, not really. Is it satire? I did not realize that.

My mom was watching Dallas in the 1980s. I have no idea what Dallas was like, I have not watched a single episode, but I got the impression that Succession is a modern Dallas. Perhaps I am completely wrong about this, because I am not sure what Dallas was about, except that it was a rich family with a lot of intrigue.
So you rip the piss out of the show and then proceed to demonstrate to everyone that you are utterly clueless about the type of programme it is. :lol:

Idxomer

It's created by the guy who was a major writer on Peep Show and The Thick of It.

It leans naturally towards being a comedy more than most drama shows.