Sudden burst of ACL injuries

cyberman

It hasn't increased on the past, though. I think people are forgetting that the time used by VAR has never been accounted for in matches; play time in each match is lower than ever.

In this case, it is probably just coincidence that some higher profile players have had it; the numbers are likely similar.
The game has never been as fast as today. The few minutes less doesn’t take into consideration the greater intensity and stress todays stars are under

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Only seen an increase in the last 2-3 year. Wonder what has changed?
it’s the younger generation. they’ve never had to toughen their acls up, walking uphill to school and back, before a shift in the mines. the youngsters have spongy acls from playing too much minecraft and changing genders.

F-Red

Probably something to do with kids staying in the house playing in the computer or watching TV, rather than going out and strengthening their limbs via walking, moving, climbing, playing, etc.

Just like we used to have really strong immune system by playing in the streets, getting dirty, throwing dog poop at other kids, etc. But now, kids are over-protected and get decked by the simplest of viruses.

So yeah, my theory is indoor kids are weak as feck.
Better in your day etc?

welshwingwizard

Not when you consider the 1-2mths downtime.
Not to be picky but that would defo mean 25% isn't the bulk.

25% of injuries over a 3 month period out of 10 months would mean 75% happen from November to May. Meaning one of those 3 month periods would have to be more than 25%.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As a fully certified redcaf Doctor, an interesting stat for you is that the bulk (25%) of all ACL injuries happen at the start of the season Aug-Oct.
I would say that's because players return fatter than their body is used to than anything else? I fecked up my knee first fime I gained some extra weight in life.

But it's an interesting stat.

Oranges038

I think we would need a much larger sample size to be able to tell if the number of ACL injuries actually went up in recent years. For instance, how have they trended if we look across all European top divisions, or across the top four English divisions?
I think the Howden group compiles these injury reports across all top 5 leagues for insurance indexes or something. Not sure how often, maybe annually.

tomaldinho1

Do you have the rest of the breakdown? Because 25% per first 3 months of football (a quarter) isn't the bulk but rather an equal distribution across the year.
I think it was actually Sept-Oct - it was a BMJ article so am trying to find the link without a paywall. Hold tight, as said I am a certified redcaf Doctor, no disease too small or injury too large.
If you are the intended recipient of this message you are hereby bound into the redcaf doctor's association terms and conditions, £100 per consultation with an interest rate of 56757757% . This is a separate organisation from Martial FC, The ReMouners, The InconsOlebles and Louis Van Gaal;'s Red Army.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
it’s the younger generation. they’ve never had to toughen their acls up, walking uphill to school and back, before a shift in the mines. the youngsters have spongy acls from playing too much minecraft and changing genders.
Better in your day etc?
That is actually a theory floated by the experts in that Sky News article.

ScholesyTheWise

I wonder just how much this trend of pressing has to do with it.

Football isn't more physical than it used to be. it's actually the opposite in the simplest of terms.
you can't butcher people anymore like in the horrific tackles someone like George Best had to endure.
Attacking players are more protected than ever.

But the pace of the game has changed.

Maybe these constant little sprints when you press someone relentlessly, the changes in movement and body shape, have something to do with it?
More fatigue is accumulated in your body long-term?

No idea.

Last edited:

Manncunian

Nah, it wouldn’t. It’s just a coronavirus. They’ve been round forever. No rational reason to think it has some special, ligament destroying properties.
The virus is nowhere near fully understood yet, and to reduce it down to the family of viruses it stems from is oversimplification. You can’t just say oh H5N1 is just an influenza virus so it’s the same as all other flus. The CFR in humans is 56%, compared to 0.45% for your standard winter flu.

Nobody knows for sure yet, maybe take time to look at some studies? Like this one from the British Journal of Sport Medicine:

Association between SARS‐COV‐2 infection and muscle strain injury occurrence in elite male football players

This study reported a five times higher risk of developing a muscle strain after a SARS-CoV-2 infection in elite male football players
Or perhaps this one from the Italian Sport Medicine Federation, where they state:

The continuous evolution of the virus and the lack of studies focused on musculoskeletal system damage is preventing us from drawing definitive conclusions. More studies are needed to clarify the role of COVID-19 in causing football muscle injuries
Hence more studies are definitely needed. Or do we adopt the naive attitude of “nah, it isn’t possible”? I think exploration is wise, if not necessary.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I just how much this trend of pressing has to do with it.

Football isn't more physical than it used to be. it's actually the opposite in the simplest of terms.
you can't butcher people anymore like in the horrific tackles someone like George Best had to endure.
Attacking players are more protected than ever.

But the pace of the game has changed

Maybe these constant little sprints when you press someone relentlessly, the changes in movement and body shape, have something to do with it?
More fatigue is accumulated in your body long-term?

No idea.
I think you may be on to something with the pressing thing. One thing that happens with pressing is sudden changes of direction and big increases in power in the legs when defenders push hard to keep up with attackers as they move. I think you are right.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The virus is nowhere near fully understood yet, and to reduce it down to the family of viruses it stems from is oversimplification. You can’t just say oh H5N1 is just an influenza virus so it’s the same as all other flus. The CFR in humans is 56%, compared to 0.45% for your standard winter flu.

Nobody knows for sure yet, maybe take time to look at some studies? Like this one from the British Journal of Sport Medicine:

Association between SARS‐COV‐2 infection and muscle strain injury occurrence in elite male football players

Or perhaps this one from the Italian Sport Medicine Federation, where they state:

Hence more studies are definitely needed. Or do we adopt the naive attitude of “nah, it isn’t possible”? I think exploration is wise, if not necessary.
It’s a novel virus. With huge interest in it and shitloads of research funding available. There are hundreds of studies trying to demonstrate associations with every illness you can think of. And remember, correlation is not the same thing as causation and these loose associations might already exist with other, less studied viruses. We all know how our muscles can ache during a significant viral illness so wouldn’t be a surprise at all if we’re more likely to get a muscle injury if you get back to sports too quickly after being sick. That’s not the same thing as viruses directly causing a fresh epidemic of musculoskeletal injuries.

I’m sure there will be more studies but yeah, my prediction is indeed nah, the chances of a coronavirus causing an epidemic of ACL injuries are slim to none.

Last edited:

Malkovich

Militão just slipped on a very unstable pitch presented by Bilbao

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Boots? These new “non slip” socks everyone seems to be using? The proliferation of semi artificial pitches?
It's the pitches. They are completely different underfoot compared to a generation ago. Most kids are training on astroturf pitches all year round. Elite professionals play and will mostly train on hybrid grass/astrotruf pitches where the grass is tightly wound and bound into the soil. It's great for maintaining a flat consistent surface all year round, but terrible for allowing the body to absorb lateral contact and force.

RoyH1

Can't be a coincidence can it? Another player getting a Knee injury, LCL this time.

Something is definitely going on to cause so many knee injuries that didn't happen in previous seasons?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38919326/madrid-camavinga-sustains-serious-knee-injury-france
They have either serious bad luck or maybe they're doing something wrong in their physical preparation. Courtoius, Militao, Tchouameni, Bellingham, Kepa, Camavinga and now Vinicius Jr.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's the pitches. They are completely different underfoot compared to a generation ago. Most kids are training on astroturf pitches all year round. Elite professionals play and will mostly train on hybrid grass/astrotruf pitches where the grass is tightly wound and bound into the soil. It's great for maintaining a flat consistent surface all year round, but terrible for allowing the body to absorb lateral contact and force.
I think the boots used are part of it along with the pitches as you describe, modern boots offer very little actual support or protection

glasgow 21

The winter world cup ,overloading on fixtures. Teams and players paying big time. Either that or its just coincedence

KeanoMagicHat

Players have genuine concerns about the impact on their bodies all these games have and the lack of breaks, and people just laugh at them for being overpaid. Doesn't matter if you are paid £300 a week or £300,000 a week, your body will still feel the impact. And the authorities are doing everything they can to increase the number of games in every competition. Something has to give, and the money men won't so it will just be football with several players missing through injury as the new normal.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Players have genuine concerns about the impact on their bodies all these games have and the lack of breaks, and people just laugh at them for being overpaid. Doesn't matter if you are paid £300 a week or £300,000 a week, your body will still feel the impact. And the authorities are doing everything they can to increase the number of games in every competition. Something has to give, and the money men won't so it will just be football with several players missing through injury as the new normal.
Or a wider acceptance of the manager using the whole squad rather than relying on the same players every game, and fans not moaning about someone like Hojlund being substituted and writing off players based on a few games

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Food price has increased by about 30%. So these footballers has to eat less to make do.

I'm not a doctor, but eating less (good) food can severely affecting your body strength.

I blame Democrats. And Biden.

KeanoMagicHat

Or a wider acceptance of the manager using the whole squad rather than relying on the same players every game, and fans not moaning about someone like Hojlund being substituted and writing off players based on a few games
That too, but it requires teams then to have big squads of similar level players which is easier said than done. Can understand why teams are unhappy certain players aren't playing when the replacements aren't up to scratch.

Manncunian

I love how people here are quicker to blame the vaccine than the virus itself :lol:.

Anyway, some studies have eluded to Covid itself increasing the risk of muscular injury, like this one from the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/56/14/818

“demonstrated a significant association between SARS-CoV-2 infection and the development of muscle strain, indicating an increased risk of developing muscle strains following SARS-CoV-2 infection”
It’s in no way conclusive though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

But it’s certainly more concrete than the plethora of studies linking it to vaccination (zero), unless someone can show me one? Rather than making unsubstantiated claims.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

What's with Barcelona and Spain playing the shit out of players from a really young age? Lamal will be next with crippling injuries when he's 20.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I love how people here are quicker to blame the vaccine than the virus itself :lol:.

Anyway, some studies have eluded to Covid itself increasing the risk of muscular injury, like this one from the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

But it’s certainly more concrete than the plethora of studies linking it to vaccination (zero), unless someone can show me one? Rather than making unsubstantiated claims.
Bit of an understatement TBH - the study had 84 participants - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10454539/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36982090/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34546026/ are bigger sample sizes but in medical research areas these are very tiny numbers

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

also being a pedant, but your ACL isn't a muscle :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As a man who did his ACL last year - and thus had the prime year of my footballing life (I'm 37... ) taken away from me, I 100% know and understand exactly what Gavi is going through.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The new Champions League/European football format means that any player playing for a semi decent team at the top level + a barely competitive nation (with all the stuff there too) will see them regularly playing 60+ matches a season. Pretty absurd.