[Suggestion] Remove polls from regular users

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
More and more polls are being created with increasingly complex answers that essentially take the words of out people's mouths and stifle proper discussion. Perhaps I'm being a bit precious with this bugbear of mine but it seems completely pointless to have all these polls that don't resolve any kind of dispute and nor do they promote any substantial discussion other than one liners. Is it too time consuming for people to ask mods for their threads to be made into polls where appropriate? If it is then fair enough, but it seems (in my opinion) as though the current situation with the polls is detracting from discussion and making the football forum a worse place to post.

That'sHernandez

Oh, I hadn't realised that... shame. Perhaps a set of guidelines for creating polls then?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Some people start stupid polls. Some people start stupid threads. That's a forum - they usually disappear pretty quickly.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Polls go home!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The current front page has Someone twice and no one has noticed

C.M.P

2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner
Don't see anything wrong with them, it doesn't seem to reduce the amount posts in the thread and sometimes you dont have the time to read 10 pages to get a feel for peoples opinion.

Surely anything that annoys cina is a good thing

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Don't see anything wrong with them, it doesn't seem to reduce the amount posts in the thread and sometimes you dont have the time to read 10 pages to get a feel for peoples opinion.

Agreed.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Second coming of Hitler that polle.

But yea, topic's right, too many polls around if you ask me and most of them either overlap or are plain stupid.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
It has got out of hand recently. It means I have to think about my answer and weigh it up against several potential answers. I much prefer to express my opinions in vague utterances that can, at a later date, be warped to suggest that my opinion coincided with reality.

I like the front page poll though, that's a nice idea.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Polls help to track how Caf reacts to certain events and situations. I personally find them interesting and I like how freedom of opinion is formed thanks to them.

So, let's make a poll if the polls should be removed from regular users and see how many dictators we have in our ranks.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It means I have to think about my answer and weigh it up against several potential answers. I much prefer to express my opinions in vague utterances that can, at a later date, be warped to suggest that my opinion coincided with reality.
:lol:

FujiVice

Can we discuss Graham Poll in this thread? Remember when gave that bloke 3 yellow card? Good times.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ignore me. I was thinking that the options in the user group settings said "add poll to own threads", but missed out the word "existing" in it.
I'm thinking of writing an add-on to restrict poll creation privileges so we can exercise control over it if needed. I'm also thinking we should restrict new Newbies from creating polls until they have a decent number of posts.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'm thinking of writing an add-on to restrict poll creation privileges so we can exercise control over it if needed. I'm also thinking we should restrict new Newbies from creating polls until they have a decent number of posts.
That'd be ideal if possible.

Plugsy

I don't mind polls but some of the lately have been silly.

"Should Woodward be sacked?"

...Yes - he should keep his job.

I also hate joke answer options

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It's not the fact that they detract from discussion, it's more the fact that people are just seemingly making threads which are eerily similar to others solely for the purpose of having a slightly different poll. Or creating a thread just for the purpose of a poll. It's a bit tedious, and it's clogged up the Manchester United section a little. In almost every thread on the first page, the same discussions are being made, just simply in different threads with slightly different polls.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
They have their merits, certainly. They do give a sense of the overarching opinions of the cafe. At the same time, there are far too many. The front page pole is great but the amount of poorly worded, confusing, and pointless polls created is a bit much.

That'sHernandez

They have their merits, certainly. They do give a sense of the overarching opinions of the cafe. At the same time, there are far too many. The front page pole is great but the amount of poorly worded, confusing, and pointless polls created is a bit much.
I haven't asked for a removal of polls in their entirety, just that they're only made for things that actually contribute and enrich the discussion on the board.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I haven't asked for a removal of polls in their entirety, just that they're only made for things that actually contribute and enrich the discussion on the board.
Yeah, I agree. They need to be moderated and maybe a limit should be put on who can post/how many can be posted.