Positives
- we've proven that we're capable of attracting big names
- Woodward backed up his foolish claim of having no budget
- Addressed midfield and defence somewhat
- Di Maria and Falcao have the potential to transform this side
- got rid of Nani, Hernandez, Kagawa, Bebe, Rio and Evra

Negatives
- defence and midfield are still the weaker areas of the pitch
- Welbeck and Vidic could be big losses (Vidic = experience, Welbeck = strengthening a direct rival)
- overspent on some players
- Haven't flogged nearly enough deadwood

Overall, I'm chuffed with this summer's business. Welbeck leaving is the most instantly disappointing part of the summer, but I highly doubt the club wanted to get rid, it's just that LvG couldn't promise him the role he wanted. He'll get more game time at Arsenal. I highly disagree with those that say it's a departure from the club's philosophy. There have been hundreds of youngsters who left the club because they were not deemed good enough and nothing was said then. If LvG cannot promise Welbeck the role he wants after he's had 3 years as part of the first team squad, then that's as good as saying he's not good enough. Welbeck was going to be a squad player, nothing more. If he wants more than that, it's only fair that he leaves.

The other big disappointment is that Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Valencia and, to a lesser extent, Fletcher, are still here. Fletcher, Young and Valencia will still contribute though. Anderson will not and neither will Cleverley judging by how we were looking to offload him.

Herrera and Blind should strengthen our midfield significantly, but I would say something is still missing there. Same goes for defence. Not seen enough of Rojo to say how much he'll strengthen us, if at all, but there are still valid concerns over Jones', Smalling's and Evans' fitness, plus we still haven't resolved the lack of leadership back there.

As a first step in the rebuilding process, I think it was a good one. but this will need to be supplemented in the next two windows. After all this outlay, I think the chances of heavy investment in January are in the balance. The club may want to hold off until the summer so we'll nkow if we've got CL football.

Anyway, regardless of all that, my excitement for the season is a lot higher now than it was previously. I just hope all our new players can bed themselves in quickly, gel as a team, and really get this season started for us.

And, for one last time, To the Vidal thread :(

Trizy

How did we not need a striker? Welbeck sold, Hernandez sent on loan, that would mean we would have just 2 strikers and an academy backup.

Rooney and RVP have been in a comfort zone, and it needed shaking up. Both are not dynamic enough, RVP has been poor for a while now, and is probably in need of surgery. Rooney has been poor even longer, and someone like falcao has breathed much needed life into our forward line.
Sorry I forgot to mention that's what we needed going into the summer and we ticked off all the list. I'm sure Welbeck would have stayed had Falcao not become available.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
In one word. Excellent.

De Maria - our best signing and truly world class in his peak. He added something we didn't have since Ronaldo's days, pace and great dribbling skills. With him we got a hard working midfielder and a winger in one packet. 10/10

Herrera - a energetic physical b2b midfielder who can both defend and attack. Close ball control in tight situations and a good passer. In him we got loyal player who will wear our shirt with pride. 8/10

Shaw - the jury is still out but going from his last season he has everything needed as Evra's replacement. Strong left footed with pace. If he develop as we expect he will soon become a bargain. 9/10

Blind - intelligent with good passing ability. Maybe our most important player if we want to play with 4 defenders. If he slots in well and makes us tic then our chances to make top4 increase dramatically. Not first choice but 7/10

Rojo - let's flip a coin. He has the tools to be a world beater, but he can also end up as a new Skrtl. Brings pace, steel and a good left foot to our set up. If everything goes well he's a 9/10, but so far I say 7/10. Time will tell.

Falcao - two years ago 10/10 without any hesitation. Today..... who knows. I agree with LVG, if a player of his calibre is available we must act. With van Persie unfit and Rooney a little bit off we needed a new striker. Welbz and Chica was good but not enough if we wanted to compete on highest level. 8/10 with potential to be a super hit.

All in all a great summer. Well done Woody, you hold on to your words. Watch this space! (And we did)

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Absolutely delighted. Electrifying football will soon be played by us.

Oneunited26

Sorry I forgot to mention that's what we needed going into the summer and we ticked off all the list. I'm sure Welbeck would have stayed had Falcao not become available.
I think VG always wanted to move him on, the ironic thing when many have said we never needed someone like di Maria and falcao, They are the mort important players we need.

I look at guys like mata kagwa Rooney VP nani young Valencia, I think those players have failed us on a creative level and on a goal scoring level, their form for us has been shocking. I also think we have been lacking goals more than leaking them, and on a creative level we have needed a di Maria for his acceleration. Mata kagwa Rooney and RVP just lacks that power that falcao and di Maria are going to give us.

lalloyd

Bonkers. Finally signed world-class talent but sold one of our most likeable players and didn't really address the issues that have been apparent for some time. I suppose it would be a bit like needing a decent table and chairs, going shopping for them with loads of cash and a whopping hangover and coming back with an 80" TV, a jacuzzi and some bean bags.

Silverman

In
Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao

Out
Ferdinand, Vidic, M. Keane, Buttner, Evra, Powell, Giggs Lawrence, Nani, Bebe, Zaha, Kagawa, Henriquez, Macheda, Hernandez, Welbeck.

Good business overall. Not happy with Welbeck leaving but I doubt he was going to get much game time with Falcao's arrival.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Our best summer in ages. Incredible world class players in, plenty of deadwood out.

Trizy

I think VG always wanted to move him on, the ironic thing when many have said we never needed someone like di Maria and falcao, They are the mort important players we need.

I look at guys like mata kagwa Rooney VP nani young Valencia, I think those players have failed us on a creative level and on a goal scoring level, their form for us has been shocking. I also think we have been lacking goals more than leaking them, and on a creative level we have needed a di Maria for his acceleration. Mata kagwa Rooney and RVP just lacks that power that falcao and di Maria are going to give us.

Well to be fair most the goals have come from errors at the back, we're not good enough to play 352 but that's for another debate. As for Rooney and VP's goal return I don't think its fair to blame them considering they're only source of chances comes from Mata and teams know this so they focus on Mata. Most top teams have creativity from every area of the pitch behind their front men, we have a midfield of Cleverly and Fletcher with wingers in Young and Valencia. The 4 offer no goals to the side to take the pressure off the strikers and create feck all unless its a lucky cross from Valencia or Young where they finally beat their first man.

We haven't the creativity to play 353 nor the backs to defend it.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Ah well, I will get a lot of stick for this, but I#ll try to give my opinion as an outsider.

First things first: You've finally started to spend, which is probably good. I've stated before that you reminded me a lot of Bayerns state between 2003 and 2007-2009, in which we were also reluctant to spend big money on players coming from other nations leagues. Robben, Ribery, Toni and others carried the club forward.
This, of course, is on another level.

But is the money well spend? I don't know.
It all seems a bit desperate to be honest, like "we've been out of the top 4 and need to come back no matter what". Especially Falcao (which you all seem to love now that he's arrived, but to whom you were very reluctant when the rumours started) is probably a bit over the top. Nobody knows exactly of van Persies problems, but I loved Welbeck and I think this could've been the season he would make his breakthrough, given the playtime.

Of what kind where the problems essentially already defined last season? A general lack of depths of quality players, low quality wingers, a problem in central defence because of Vidic and Rio leaving and a massive problem in central midfield.

You've definitly brought in more quality players, problem probably sorted. BUT: I think you got rid of the wrong players. Anderson, Valencia and Young (all of which are essentially useless) are still there while you shipped Kagawa and Nani out, which at least were valuable squad players.
What happened at the wings? Di Maria, you could say. But well, isn't he needed at CM? I would say yes, especially when sticking to 3-5-2. So, nothing has been done there.

CM looks nice at first, Di Maria was great last season, Blind is a valuable alternative for the squad, probably more. Herrera is a nice offensive spaniard.
Blind - Di Maria, Herrera? Very well, one would say. But there are alos related problems, one of which is Juan Mata: Where to play him? Get a 3-5-2 with two CM's and an AM? Probably, while consinsting of Mata, Di Maria and Herrera to weak defensivly. Getting the midfield formation mentioned beforemost and ship out Mata to the wings? You know it won't work, has been proven countless times. So, he's probably out of the team. While giving Ander Herrera a place, who is, besides all his qualities, no CM in a traditional way and may even be a tad overrated. He never made the spanish squad, not even once, and I think there are reasons for that. He still has to show that he will strengthen a club like United.

What happened at CB? Rojo happened. Of whom, if you are honest, nobody here thought about before he arrived. He had a mediocre world cup and the Sporting residents here have told you about his certain weaknesses, he surely wasn't plan A. While letting Rio and Vidic go, you changed to a system with one CB more before while adding only one of at least questionable quality (in terms of: is he ready to take you back to CL?).

To all these players Shaw is adding, who was needed and is good, but way too expensive ( I think you could have got Rodriguez for 10 mio less).

We will see how this works out. All in all I feel some of the money could've been spend better. There are still disbalances in the squad, will be interesting to see if Van Gaal can work them out (he certainly has the potential to do that).

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's been a good summer, we were never going to address all the squad issues in one summer, it's a process. I think considering the above, we met our basic need - I just felt that we could have tried harder for Benatia rather than Rojo and that could have made it a near perfect summer.
Exactly this.
I am very happy with who we bought. Not very happy with those who left (except Hernandez), I was always a big fan of Kagawa and especially Welbeck.
In ideal world I would’ve exchanged Falcao for a midfielder of similar quality, but I won’t moan about getting Radamel as far as we won’t be trying to accommodate all of our strikers on the cost of midfield.
Shaw will be excellent for us, Di Maria is one of a very few players worth that kind of money because, his excellent skills aside, even on his day off he will bring energy and pace to our side. Both massive signings.
Herrera will be a very good player for us if used in right way, he has all the attributes and great attitude.
I have a feeling Falcao will be motivated again and will score loads of goals if provided with opportunities.
Blind is intelligent and has good passing skills, so he might prove very useful for us, especially as we lack quality midfielders with defensive mindset. Still I don’t think he will be the main man in midfield for years.
I’m not entirely convinced by Rojo and I thought we could do better for that kind of money, but LVG looks like a guy with a plan so I won’t complain.
I’m also very proud of myself that I never criticized Woody during the summer. He did great job, although we should be moving faster to get rid of some players, but as I’m not really bothered as long as Ando and Clev are not regular first team players.

ravi2

Its evident there was a sizable warchest so I think we didnt prioritize well as we could have.

Woodie did a fantastic job getting the marquee attackers in but he didnt push the boat out to the acquire the top CM & CB that we required.

We knew months ago Vidic and Rio were both going so it was clear we needed at least one big name CB and Benatia was available all summer for around £35M. Vidal was available for around £50M but we went in too late.

Instead of buying both Falcao and Di Maria, I would have gotten one of them and used the remaining money on Vidal & Benatia thus balancing the squad. If we had Vidal and Benatia (or their equivalents) we could have challenged for the title.

I realize Rome wasnt built in a day and it'll take a transfer window or three to clear out the deadwood and get suitable replacements in but I feel if we had a DOF we could have prioritized the money slightly better this summer but we are definitely moving in the right direction :)

ricky-romeo

a very productive summer.

still we are one top class CB and one top class CM short but the 6 signings should improve the team, quite massively as well. just hoping we are much more luckier with injuries now. cannot stand seeing young as a wingback :(

would have been perfect had we signed someone like vidal and managed to offload fellaini, anderson, cleverley and young.

this team would have been almost perfect (on paper at least), imo..

GK: de gea, lindegaard, amos/johnstone
CB: smalling, jones, evans, rojo, blacklett, top class CB
WB: rafael, shaw, (blind), (rojo) , (valencia), james
CM: herrera, blind, carrick, fletcher, top class MC
AM/Wingers: mata, di maria, januzaj, valencia
ST: rooney, RVP, falcao, wilson

gulli_G

Think Reus is part of the Kagawa deal? Maybe we have an agreement with him and Welbeck would have stalled further his career. Reus Vidal and Hummels next summer is all that is needed. Bayern had a slip some years back and LVG slowly built them back up by adding youth and WC players like Robben and in subsequent transfer windows by transfer windows Bayern have become a super power again. LVG started it all. Hope for the same. The deadwood was like a stale Apple, Case point kagawa he was too intelligent for our deadwood when first came and slowly came down to the deadwood level. LVG noticed it soon enough and got rid of half the squad

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Spent a tonne. Brought in quality. Got rid of deadwood. Improved the team. Improved the squad. Still needs more improvement.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Ah well, I will get a lot of stick for this, but I#ll try to give my opinion as an outsider.

First things first: You've finally started to spend, which is probably good. I've stated before that you reminded me a lot of Bayerns state between 2003 and 2007-2009, in which we were also reluctant to spend big money on players coming from other nations leagues. Robben, Ribery, Toni and others carried the club forward.
This, of course, is on another level.

But is the money well spend? I don't know.
It all seems a bit desperate to be honest, like "we've been out of the top 4 and need to come back no matter what". Especially Falcao (which you all seem to love now that he's arrived, but to whom you were very reluctant when the rumours started) is probably a bit over the top. Nobody knows exactly of van Persies problems, but I loved Welbeck and I think this could've been the season he would make his breakthrough, given the playtime.

Of what kind where the problems essentially already defined last season? A general lack of depths of quality players, low quality wingers, a problem in central defence because of Vidic and Rio leaving and a massive problem in central midfield.

You've definitly brought in more quality players, problem probably sorted. BUT: I think you got rid of the wrong players. Anderson, Valencia and Young (all of which are essentially useless) are still there while you shipped Kagawa and Nani out, which at least were valuable squad players.
What happened at the wings? Di Maria, you could say. But well, isn't he needed at CM? I would say yes, especially when sticking to 3-5-2. So, nothing has been done there.

CM looks nice at first, Di Maria was great last season, Blind is a valuable alternative for the squad, probably more. Herrera is a nice offensive spaniard.
Blind - Di Maria, Herrera? Very well, one would say. But there are alos related problems, one of which is Juan Mata: Where to play him? Get a 3-5-2 with two CM's and an AM? Probably, while consinsting of Mata, Di Maria and Herrera to weak defensivly. Getting the midfield formation mentioned beforemost and ship out Mata to the wings? You know it won't work, has been proven countless times. So, he's probably out of the team. While giving Ander Herrera a place, who is, besides all his qualities, no CM in a traditional way and may even be a tad overrated. He never made the spanish squad, not even once, and I think there are reasons for that. He still has to show that he will strengthen a club like United.

What happened at CB? Rojo happened. Of whom, if you are honest, nobody here thought about before he arrived. He had a mediocre world cup and the Sporting residents here have told you about his certain weaknesses, he surely wasn't plan A. While letting Rio and Vidic go, you changed to a system with one CB more before while adding only one of at least questionable quality (in terms of: is he ready to take you back to CL?).

To all these players Shaw is adding, who was needed and is good, but way too expensive ( I think you could have got Rodriguez for 10 mio less).

We will see how this works out. All in all I feel some of the money could've been spend better. There are still disbalances in the squad, will be interesting to see if Van Gaal can work them out (he certainly has the potential to do that).
Realistically speaking this is not too far from the truth. However looking through my red tinted glasses I am looking forward to seeing one of the very best players in the world beside a (hopefully) still spectacular number 9 and some other great signings excel in a United shirt.

If Bayern played against that team in the CL I am pretty sure you as fan would sweat a bit more than last year no?

I am not too happy with the outgoing players. Kagawa for so little money? Nani more or less for free? Welbeck to strengthen one of our main rivals for a CL spot? And Vidic?

Enigma_87

You know who
Great bit of business on all fronts. The only negative is that we didn't get Vidal or a player of his ability in the CM, but oh well..

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
We got a Porsche and a Ferrari when we needed some BMWs.

We also sold our favourite kitcar we had spent years putting together.

Mad Winger

I'm mildly satisfied with the signings. We do lack a world class CM and CB. I hope Blind and Herrera comes good and protects the defense well.

As for the departures, I wish Vidic and Kagawa had stayed. Ideally one of Welbeck or Hernandez too, but seeing as we signed Falcao I don't mind seeing them leave. Though I wish Welbeck didn't end up with a rival. There's still too much deadwood around as well. Hopefully that will be fixed this winter or next summer.

pbrown

I think Blind will do the business and all others are good signings.

Will Absolute

The Good: Falcao could pay big dividends. (I was critical of this move yesterday when I thought we had paid £50M for him. But a loan makes sense)

The Bad: Despite the availability or actual transfer of Kroos, Fabregas, Rakitic, Vidal and Carvalho we once again failed to sign a top midfielder.

The Predictable: We ended up signing an average Dutch player whose principal virtue is his familiarity to our new manager; and an obscure defender he 'spotted' at the World Cup whose YouTube videos he may have watched. We'll have to hope for the best there, but it's not an ideal way for a great club to do business. If you task an incoming manager with buying and selling half a team in 6 weeks, what can you expect?

Acole9

Outstanding
Ander Herrera - The club got the ball rolling in the transfer market with buying a much required centre midfielder. I have kept a close eye on him whilst in La Liga given that he's been a target of ours going back to when SAF was still manager and after watching him as one of the standout players in the games against us whilst playing for Athletic in the Europa League a few years ago. He's a box to box midfielder and despite his height and build he's not afraid to put himself about as shown so far in the matches he has played for us. His English is excellent and has two of his own countrymen to help him settle in, the fee may seem expensive at the moment but if this lad performs in the Premier League it won't be long before the Spanish national team call him up.

Luke Shaw - Again like Herrera the transfer fee for him is excessive but given his age and potential this deal is a real investment for us similar to that of Ferdinand and Rooney, young English players with arguably inflated prices. With Evra leaving getting Shaw in was all the more important as we were rather short of options in that area anyway. I know there have been issues with his fitness and what not but once he's up to speed with the rest of the team and knows what it means to be a United player I'm sure he will reach his full potential. Eventually I could even see him moving further up the pitch a bit like what Bale did at Spurs.

Marcos Rojo - Out of all the signings we've made this summer he's the one I know the least about. I remember seeing him play for Argentina at the World Cup as a left back despite his natural position being more as a centre half which is what we desperately need. I know he's not the experienced (despite 28 caps for his country) centre half we was all hoping for but as I mentioned to someone at work Vidic come to United a complete unknown as was Jaap Stam sort of was too before him. If he turns out to be as half as good as those two I'll be pleased.

Angel Di Maria - The new British transfer record for just short of £60 million. Is it too much for him? Possibly but given the fact we put ourselves in a bit of a desperate situation Real Madrid knew they'd be able to sell him to us for that price knowing we'd pay it for him. What we are getting though is a world class winger which we have been severely lacking for a couple of years now. He's coming into the best years of his career and is fairly flexible to fit into either the 3-5-2 system as a centre midfielder or a 4-3-3 in his more familiar position as a winger. We have more than enough attacking players at the club and I am sure he will provide a lot of goals for his team mates. This signing has also shown a real statement of intent by the club in the fact they can attract such an exciting world class player to the Premier League.

Daley Blind - A very useful addition to the club. He can play in a large number of positions although it does look as though he will play mainly as a defensive midfielder where he has mostly played for Ajax. I wouldn't be at all surprised once Carrick returns or if we do sign Strootman in January he gets moved to left wing back if we are to carry on with the 3-5-2 system and especially as Ashley Young has not performed well there. There have been many Dutch players who have come to England and haven't performed but with van Gaal as manager and RVP who he knows both very well I'm sure he'll settle in fine.

Radamel Falcao - One the most exciting transfers I have ever seen come into the club. If he doesn't get Old Trafford bouncing then I'm not sure anything will (unless Ronaldo ever comes back) I can't believe people have even questioned this deal, for me it's a no brainer. We have let two strikers leave the club which left us short and when the best finisher in world football becomes available you do not let that pass you by regardless if you need him or not. He will have to fight to for his place like every other player naturally but what great competition that will be. I actually think van Gaal can play Falcao, RVP and Rooney together with Di Maria and Mata in behind them. If he adapts and has no troubles with his knee he can get 25-30 goals this season.

Mister Ed

I'am very happy with our summer, we moved out a great deal of players I thought weren't good enough for United and we managed to bring in alot of new players, all of which I'am happy about and all of which I think will strenghten us. A good leftback, nice centreback addition, 2 new midfielders, one that is more creative and one that is more defensive and on top of that one of the best wingers and one of the best strikers in the world. Also quite happy we have taken up Blackett, Lingard and Wilson as young talents in the first team, I think they are the most suited to make a step up and have a good chance at establishing themselves in the first team now.

Could it have been beter, ofcourse it could have been beter, I also would have like a worldclass midfielder like Vidal (especially after the long strechted out Saga this summer) or Strootman and ofcourse I would have like a worldclass centreback like Benatia or Hummels. But not everything is possible and considering the amount of work we had in the transfermarket, the world cup and the fact we had a new coach, I think we did very well. I was extremley worried about our lack of business at the start of the competition but the club has put thing in order for me, I don't think I could have asked for much more. Work still isn't done but there is another window in January and the team we have now is far more balanced and has far more quality than what we had last season, in every signle area. No doubt we'll improve and we have a decent shot at top 4 and even more than that if LVG can make it click, which is all I was hopping for at the start of the summer. Compared to last summer and compared to the doom image I woke up with at night a couple of weeks ago, this has been a massive improvement !

The only unfortunate thing is Welbeck, but I don't care too much, if he doesn't want to play here anymore and thinks he is good enough for a first choice CF at another topclub than a move was the best for all parties involved. Ofcourse it is a shame to see a youth product fail and go to a rival team, yet my worries are with the team and I certainly don't think Welbeck will be a big miss for us in terms of quality and attacking contribution.

Oo0AahCantona

Best summer we've ever had, still missing 3 top payers imo CB, Rb and CM. add those clean out the deadwood and weve got a good squad. once all the deadwood (Fellaini, fletcher, anderson,nani,young valencia) are moved on we can start to think about plugging in a few depth players, but right now we just need to add few and far between GAALactico signings in positions we need.

Luke Shaw - Again like Herrera the transfer fee for him is excessive but given his age and potential this deal is a real investment for us similar to that of Ferdinand and Rooney, young English players with arguably inflated prices. With Evra leaving getting Shaw in was all the more important as we were rather short of options in that area anyway. I know there have been issues with his fitness and what not but once he's up to speed with the rest of the team and knows what it means to be a United player I'm sure he will reach his full potential. Eventually I could even see him moving further up the pitch a bit like what Bale did at Spurs.
that is never going to happen, he is a proper old school defend first fullback, the offensive side to his game is his worst quality.