Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

Fosu-Mens

Midfield is worrying me. Without Herrera we lack any sort of dynamism in there. An all rounder that can break up play and a goal scoring midfielder are needed desperately.
Pogba should be the goalscorer and main creator and the one playing as the CAM, when we play 4-2-3-1.

The two midfielders that should be playing behind him are not at the club.

Pereira: Set piece and technical ability on point, but struggles under pressure and off the ball. Good enough to be a backup.
Mctominay: Zero-sum player. Good backup.
Matic: Legs are gone, and given that he never was a high-intensity player then he really has become slow. Could be useful as a backup and his experience and assumed professionalism is needed in the squad.
Fred: Inconsistency and partaking in the build-up is not a good combo. This is not an "adaption" issue and given that he is not inexperienced, one can't blame age or lack of games...
Gomes: Great technique and will contribute if we are dominant in possession. When not in possession he would create similar problems as we have when playing Mata. If we are able to press as a team and Gomes can find the right spacing between players (Cutting passing lanes rather than trying to cover space) then he would be our best option as a passer and "controller" beside Pogba.

In general, we lack two starting midfielders behind Pogba. And given that Brandt, Ndombele, Barella, Sensi and Rabiot already got new clubs this summer, then the number of prominent or suitable options that are available have decreased.

If I were DoF or someone with authority over transfers at the club I would go for players that can pass, press and with some intensity. I would stay well clear of players that are pure destroyers or only contributing when the team is on the ball. One of the CMs should be able to control the game and play as a speilfuhrer similar to how Carrick operated. The other should be a B2B with no real weaknesses.

Carrick 2.0: Florian Grillitsch from Hoffenheim. Uncanny resemblance to Carrick.
B2B: Barella, Rabiot and Ndombele would all have been able to perform well in this role and could also operate in different roles and positions depending on the game and opposition. Unfortunately, they already have new clubs. Ibrahim Sangare from Toulouse could be an option, even though he is seen as a CDM. He got the physicality and the ability to operate between the two boxes, but not good enough in the final third to be considered an improvement, yet. Would be able to play similarly to Ndidi, but would offer more when on the ball.

Seth.R

Wonder if we’re tempted by James Rodriguez to play at number 10.

There’s a really weird rhetoric that people only rate him because of that WC with Colombia - he was immense at Porto, Monaco and when he first got to Madrid.

For around £45m he could be fantastic, imo. He’d add much needed goals, creativity and set piece delivery.

Reactions: Sultan

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Wonder if we’re tempted by James Rodriguez to play at number 10.

There’s a really weird rhetoric that people only rate him because of that WC with Colombia - he was immense at Porto, Monaco and when he first got to Madrid.

For around £45m he could be fantastic, imo. He’d add much needed goals, creativity and set piece delivery.
United are not interested in him, he's joining Atletico for €40m.

eltigreFalcao

Going by today's formation, Ole's changing the tactic to a 4231. That makes a lot of sence given the squad he already has and the possibilities given by the transfer market which is obviously not easy fot Manchester United (due mainly to total lack of competence in technical director department, non existant whatsoever).

That said and going by the rumors saying Fernandes is near, you can see there is a lot of player who specialize in the Nº10 role: Mata, Pereira, Gomes, now Fernandes, and even Lingard although I dont think he has any special role or ability. You could fit in there some Sanchez as well. Anyways for me thats the main reason he's switching formation.

And also it makes a lot of sence to support the current approach by placing a double pivot where, IMO, we have: Pogba, Matic, McT, Fred, Garner, Pereira as second role, and there's the possibility of Longstaff there as well. I can find this approach very suitable and even potentialy very good as the burden in the middle of the field is shared and the defence less exposed. For me Pogba can thrive if he just adjust a little bit his game in this role because of the range of his passing. Also he isnt the best pressing so playing him further and expect him to do that can be frustrating. Alongside any of Fred, McT, Garner and Longstaff, he can be the focal point in the transition to the attack while bulking the middle park. And given Fernandes is a more lethal goalscorer in his favoured position, I can see this midfield being succesful in the coming season:

Pogba --- Fred
RM --- Fernandes --- LM​

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If we’re really signing Bruno, and I’ve no idea if we are as that transfer saga confuses me, then Thomas from Atlético would’ve been a sensible supplementary signing.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
We still need a holding CM and a Ball winning CM and I can't see why we've taken so long to bring one in. There are a range of very good prospects we could have negotiated for by now.

Ibrahim Sangare - Toulouse
Florian Grillitsch - Hoffenheim
Sander Berge - Genk
Stanislav Lobotka - Celta Vigo

The list goes on but all players who could improve our CM options, relying on Pogba there rather than further forward will only see the same issues with lack of bite or security in CM due to Pogba's tendency to switch off when not on the ball or just in defensive transitions.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

We still need a holding CM and a Ball winning CM and I can't see why we've taken so long to bring one in. There are a range of very good prospects we could have negotiated for by now.

Ibrahim Sangare
Florian Grillitsch
Sander Berge
Stanislav Lobotka

The list goes on but all players who could improve our CM options, relying on Pogba there rather than further forward will only see the same issues with lack of bite or security in CM due to Pogba's tendency to switch off when not on the ball or just in defensive transitions.
Sangare and Grillitsch is the best combo. Lobotka will have issues when the team is not compressed and with space between the lines.
Berge is a physical monster, but not good enough on the ball yet, should go to LaLiga or play for a technical coach.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So, so far on this rebuild we've lost Fellaini and Herrera and extended contracts for Mata and Periera whilst we're trying to keep Pogba who no longer wants to be here?

Eric's Seagull

2 midfielders were wanted by Ole at the start of this transfer window. We haven't got anyone in for this area with only a.couple of weeks to go. I'm worried that we won't get Top players for this area and we will suffer the consequences this coming season.
Agree with your post. I'm worried too but the only thing we can do is hope that Woody does something special in the next few weeks mate.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t buy anyone and relied on McT as BWM and brought Gomes through too. Those along with Fred (who I expect to see more of) would give us enough numbers but quality is questionable.

I’d also expect to see a bit more of Perreira and think we’ll start to give Garner a few games.

Bestietom

Wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t buy anyone and relied on McT as BWM and brought Gomes through too. Those along with Fred (who I expect to see more of) would give us enough numbers but quality is questionable.

I’d also expect to see a bit more of Perreira and think we’ll start to give Garner a few games.
Yes, Quality is definitely questionable here. This area is the heartbeat of the team, and we need quality players with drive,leadership, and experience, to fight the cause here.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Sangare and Grillitsch is the best combo. Lobotka will have issues when the team is not compressed and with space between the lines.
Berge is a physical monster, but not good enough on the ball yet, should go to LaLiga or play for a technical coach.
I definitely agree that Sangare and Grillitsch are the best combo and the two I've seen most of via watching Ligue 1 and Bundesliga football this season, I still think Berge is good enough to be around the squad and improve/grow into the type of CM/DM we could do with at this club.

I would go for those 3 personally within this window as considering both the relatively low fees we would be able to get them for as well as their current ages and quality I think we'd be sorting our CM for some time to come.

Lobotka is a more left field/unorthodox choice because I actually feel he is better utilized slightly further forward than a ball winning or holding role as his dribbling ability and simple passing between the lines are two of his best strengths, you could also argue that his game as a CM is too similar to Fred's in certain aspects to make it sensible to have both but i'd love to see Sangare, Grillitsch and Berge joining this window, that would make this truly a very good window for me.

ManchesterYoda

I would go for Declan Rice if we want a DM. He's strong defensively AND good at passing. Plus, he's only 20 so he has potential to improve even further. He has the same strengths as Carrick.

FerociousCorgis

we may technically have the numbers, but the quality is definitely questionable for our midfield after quality. Im guessing the club/ole is hoping for several players to step up their level. Matic already looks done no idea how they think he can make it another season ffs. Pogba, matic, fred, mctominay, pereira, garner, gomes. Yeah we can list 7 names but man that is counting on some players to really step up.

Fer

I would go for Declan Rice if we want a DM. He's strong defensively AND good at passing. Plus, he's only 20 so he has potential to improve even further. He has the same strengths as Carrick.
IMO Ndidi is slightly better. Also Gueye is a good alternative.

Neves is not as good at defending compared with them, but he is good at passing.

AgentP

If we move to a 4231, we could probably manage with one top No.10 signing. We have 4 midfielders in Pogba, Fred, McT and Pereira. Ideally I would like us to get Longstaff and Bruno.

Suvvernmanc

If were going with a 4231 formation this season which seems quite likely as that's Oles preferred formation so far in pre season, then I can see a creative midfielder/#10 being bought and no one else.

I've been shouting about it on here for ages saying we need a replacement for Matic and one for Hererra but that was only if we were playing a 3 or 4 man midfield/diamond.

We might be going into the season with Matic, Andreas, Mctominay, Fred and Pogba for those 2 positions. If we do then that isn't too bad. I like Mctominay and hold high Hope's for him. Andreas is probably our most gifted academy product to come through for a while imo and I hope he gets game time. Fred has struggled but definately has the quality to succeed in some capacity here and I think that Ole is going to give him the chances he needs to progress. Matic is a problem player for me and would be the first out the door. I'm not sure Ole sees that though which worries me. Pogba starts in one of those 2 positions when fit so with the other names mentioned we probably dont need another CM. That will inevitably cause alot of posters here to attack me on that one as most dont rate our current options. I do though, and so does Ole I think.

With a creative midfielder/#10 coming in like Bruno Fernandes, that is another attacking player rather than a CM which is a sign that Ole sees our lack of creativity and is acting on it. Pogba is more than capable of playing in a deeper 2 man midfield and will still get the freedom to get forward when he can.

Hawks2008

I really doubt he is for sale and IMO technically he isn't all that. Mobile and a solid ball winner but I don't see a comparison between him and Carrick.

Smores

Neves is not as good at defending compared with them, but he is good at passing.
Ndidi would be too obvious of a choice.

romufc

I do not think we need to spend £50/60m on Declan Rice, is he that much of an upgrade to McT? maybe because he is from the youth, no one trusts him and just wants a new signing?

I am happy with McT Matic and Fred competing for that role with Pogba, Gomes, Perreira on the other.

Alemar

The problem is other teams have Ndombele, Casemiro, Kante in this position... Declan Rice is not good enough - and mediocre players we already have in abundance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not sure about that, his passing is limited

sherrinford

Do you actually watch football or just constantly look at stats on WhoScored?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This thread title is going to sound fun at August 8th, since we haven't signed a single midfielder yet :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
basically that... we are reaching that point that we eventually laugh just not to cry.
We really need an energetic midfield to guarantee a UCL position. Without that we cannot either make high pressure or cover our defense.

Based on the last time we rebuilt midfield, maybe it should be called “Summer 2022 Midfield Rebuild.”
I'm already counting with that tbh. We will eventually make a panic transfer just to realize the player doesn't fit.

ManchesterYoda

Gueye is very strong defensively and wouldn't mind if we bought him, but he's 29, Rice is 9 years younger and very good at passing as well as being strong defensively. He also doesn't foul much. His strengths are very similar to Carrick.
Ndidi good too but Rice is the one I would choose

marktan

Anyone else really worried about this? As it stands our starting 3 would be Mctominay, Matic and Pogba. I'm happy enough with Scott and Paul, but I think we seriously need some depth in there.

Cant believe we weren't in for Ndombele. Guy's class and would've been exactly what we need.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Gueye seems to be very rated by a lot of people in this forum. Everytime I looked him play he only seemed to be more of a contention midfielder than anything else. I don0t think he could offer that much into our midfield.

I think we could hire better solutions outside the EPL and at a better price.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks pretty likely that Ole will play a 4231, so based on pre season so far, we could really do with a ball winner and number 10. However, at the moment, it's not looking like we'll get either.

In an ideal world, I'd get Gueye and Fernandes.

Pogba Gueye
Fernandes
It's looking likely that our midfield against Chelsea will be:

Pogba McTominay
Lingard​

Fer

Gueye seems to be very rated by a lot of people in this forum. Everytime I looked him play he only seemed to be more of a contention midfielder than anything else. I don0t think he could offer that much into our midfield.

I think we could hire better solutions outside the EPL and at a better price.
Partey for 40m could be a good solution.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Anyone else really worried about this? As it stands our starting 3 would be Mctominay, Matic and Pogba.
Cant believe we weren't in for Ndombele. Guy's class and would've been exactly what we need.
I don't think that there's been any serious interest in any midfielders, a rumour or three, but that's about it. Very worrying!!!
Especially when there is every possibility that Pogba could leave after our window closes

I do accept that a rebuild is going to take more than one transfer window, but we need to be making more than one first team signing if the project is going to progress...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't think that there's been any serious interest in any midfielders, a rumour or three, but that's about it. Very worrying!!!
Especially when there is every possibility that Pogba could leave after our window closes

I do accept that a rebuild is going to take more than one transfer window, but we need to be making more than one first team signing if the project is going to progress...
There isn't a hope in hell we will let Pogba go.

Bestietom

I remember Ole saying at the end of last season that we need to bring in 2 midfielders, and has repeated this at the start of this transfer window. We will need 3 then if Pogba goes. We should have 1 or 2 in already or are we waiting to sell first, which is a very bad idea. It's getting too close to deadline day now.