Summer Clear Out 2016

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am convinced we have a good squad. need additions most of all not a clear out.

Hed Zitin

I wouldn't involve the youth players in this. They should be here next season anyway.

There are a lot of players we could upgrade on realistically for the starting 11. De Gea, Smalling, Shaw and Martial are the only ones we'd struggle to upgrade on.

Schneiderlin can play better than this. We've all seen it under three different managers and different CM partners in the PL at Southampton. Memphis may look better after a season to bed in. I'd keep Valencia, Young, Herrera and Blind for their versatility as squad players.

The rest I couldn't care less if they went except for Carrick. However you can't buy the players we need and replace loads of players in an already small squad in one window though.

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We certainly don't have loads of dead wood. Most players are young, most are improving.

I don't think we need Valencia and Young any more, and I don't like Fellaini at United. Valdes can go. Jones needs to lose weight in his head and neck. Apart from that, we just need a couple in. Not too many either; let's build something here.

Adebesi

We certainly don't have loads of dead wood. Most players are young, most are improving.

I don't think we need Valencia and Young any more, and I don't like Fellaini at United. Valdes can go. Jones needs to lose weight in his head and neck. Apart from that, we just need a couple in. Not too many either; let's build something here.
Agreed. Even Valencia and Young could be useful squad players to have IMO, if they go fine, but I dont think there is any urgency to get them out the door. I guess the same is true of Fellaini, I think he has been made a scapegoat a bit unfairly at times, he has played well for us on occasion and scored some important goals, he could be useful if used sensibly. But if an offer came in for him that made sense for the club and him he should be allowed to go, he is good enough to be starting regularly for a different club and is probably wasted being on the periphery in our squad, but I dont think he should be central to our plans.

For me the priority this summer should be to get 2 or 3 really high quality players that strengthen the first XI. And a new manager. Build on what we have because we have the makings of a good squad. If we have a mass clear out and bring in a whole load of new players I can see next season being a write off too.

marlowe78

I'm just curious. If Rooney agreed (though I would doubt it) to being just a squad player, would you accept him staying?

Smores

... you really understand that? That's about as basic as it gets.
Well I obviously understand the motive I'm just saying it doesn't make sense. There's players I don't rate, am I bothered whether we offload or they just don't play in favour of better players? Not at all, same result

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Poor squad full of lightweights, no character and certainly no backbone.
We have built this squad completely the wrong way round, have bought the supporting cast first, when we should have bought the big hitters first, then the supporting cast.

CantonaVeron

Strange one of the major things the squad lacks is bottle and leadership, Rooney provides both so shouldn't be sold simple as that. He contributes alot more than Mata ever has who ghosts around doing feck all but he's Spanish so he's ok. One key element we always had was players who where brave who'd try things now we don't have that or at least not alot of it, the bits we have we must keep.

Key to keep

Martial
Smalling
Shaw
De Gea
Rooney
Herrera
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin

Everyone of those players has or has shown signs of leadership apart from maybe Depay who I have a feeling will be brilliant next year. Add some of our young players to that and we have a excellent base to build from.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Out:
Carrick,
Mata,
Fellaini,
Rooney,
Jones,

Id keep Valencia and Young as I find them good backups and I actually admire their attitude on the pitch.

kps88

We need to start adding to the squad size. Should be one or two big departures at most and let the rest play their part as squad players. This team will never settle if we get rid off and buy 6 new players in consecutive seasons.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
We have built this squad completely the wrong way round, have bought the supporting cast first, when we should have bought the big hitters first, then the supporting cast.
As the saying goes when the going gets tough the tough get going.
When the going gets tough for United too many hide. Doesn't matter how much ability or potential a player has if they cant mix it mentally or physically in this league they will get found out.
There is a lot of work needed and the first to go should be the manager.

DomesticTadpole

As the saying goes when the going gets tough the tough get going.
When the going gets tough for United too many hide. Doesn't matter how much ability or potential a player has if they cant mix it mentally or physically in this league they will get found out.
There is a lot of work needed and the first to go should be the manager.
I agree he is the first that needs to go with all his coaches. This manager has transferred his mentality onto the players. Safety first, no risks, make sure you don't lose. I loved the Arsenal game, it was fast paced and a little bit nasty. He has now gone back to boring, boring, boring. We need a manager who will stop other teams messing with us, put the fear back into other teams. A couple of strategic signing, who are very talented but take no prisoners will be a big help.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need to beefen up the team with some quality. However considering the massive investment we would (+its the right thing to do) we probably need we have to take in account our promising youths. In my opinion we should aim for quality rather then quantity. Versatility should also be considered as an asset as it would allow us to move players around in case of injury or promising talent coming through

My team for next season would be similar to this

GK: DDG, Romero, some random dude
RB: Valencia, Darmian, Varela
CB: Smalling, Marquinhos (RB-CB), Laporte, Rojo
LB: Shaw, CBJ

DM: Schneiderlin, Blind
MC: Gundogan, Bastian
AMC: Herrera, Mata

AML: Griezmann (AMLC, STK), Depay, Young
AMR: Mahrez, Januzaj

STK: Rooney, Martial, Rashford

darko

Good point. For all the money that has been spent, who is the best player United signed? Now when you think of any, you'll find the problem. In this case, don't even think of what you or thought they would become. Think of the finished product they bought. Did they buy even one top 20 or 30 player in the world?

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
The big hitters wouldn't come or the clubs wouldnt sell.

We should have bought a big hitter every summer, like Barca and Real do. Instead, for the best part of 10 years we did not sign a single top tier player. That's why we are in this mess.

DomesticTadpole

Good point. For all the money that has been spent, who is the best player United signed? Now when you think of any, you'll find the problem. In this case, don't even think of what you or thought they would become. Think of the finished product they bought. Did they buy even one top 20 or 30 player in the world?
I think the problem was that the big hitters they did go for were just stringing them along for their own ends. That is where Ed is inexperienced. A more experience operator who have known that and lowered his targets, but still signed really top quality. Ed is all about shirt sales and wanting a Bale/Ronaldo. He doesn't seem to realise that fans have their favourites and will still buy shirts with their names on. They will buy shirts with no name on. It's still a shirt sale.

DomesticTadpole

The big hitters wouldn't come or the clubs wouldnt sell.

We should have bought a big hitter every summer, like Barca and Real do. Instead, for the best part of 10 years we did not sign a single top tier player. That's why we are in this mess.
Yes. SAF used to do that most seasons, then towards the end he signed players but let the squad age and did not replace stars with the necessary quality. We are suffering for it now. Just hope they haven't let it become terminal.

KingMinger22

We need to beefen up the team with some quality. However considering the massive investment we would (+its the right thing to do) we probably need we have to take in account our promising youths. In my opinion we should aim for quality rather then quantity. Versatility should also be considered as an asset as it would allow us to move players around in case of injury or promising talent coming through

My team for next season would be similar to this

GK: DDG, Romero, some random dude
RB: Valencia, Darmian, Varela
CB: Smalling, Marquinhos (RB-CB), Laporte, Rojo
LB: Shaw, CBJ

DM: Schneiderlin, Blind
MC: Gundogan, Bastian
AMC: Herrera, Mata

AML: Griezmann (AMLC, STK), Depay, Young
AMR: Mahrez, Januzaj

STK: Rooney, Martial, Rashford
Those five would probably cost close to £300m.

A reflection of just how hard it is going to be to take our squad from the mid table level that it is, back to the top end of the table.

ravi2

A reflection of just how hard it is going to be to take our squad from the mid table level that it is, back to the top end of the table.

I dont think we need Marquinhos, however Gundogan, Laporte, Griezmann and a RW are necessities.
It will possibly cost us around £250m, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

KingMinger22

I dont think we need Marquinhos, however Gundogan, Laporte, Griezmann and a RW are necessities.
I am more than happy to see us spending that. However, I think that will be beyond what the Glazers are willing to stretch to.

Maybe they will. They need CL for their business model to work. And any idiot can see that this squad has nowhere near the quality to ensure a top 4 finish.

DomesticTadpole

Laporte would not cost as much as a John Stones. I think he is a better player as well. Gundogan will depend on his contract and the wages he would want. Greizmann I would love and his buyout is high. Mahrez, Leicester will be rubbing their hands in glee in prospect of what they could get for him. Not sure how much Marquinhos would be. However if they are the players who would lift us to the heights then so be it. I don't want us going cheap and being stuck in the doldrums for years. We don't have the scouting system anymore to pick up bargains.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i think the biggest clear out has already happened. my opinion isn't so different from others, but if this was a simple world and i could eradicate a few players from our squad it would be:

fellaini
valencia
young

while i like rooney, i would be happy to be rid of him if it meant signing at least one, if not two strikers to replace him. an established, world class striker ala Zlatan. of course, that's easier said than done.

if phil hones and lingard left, i wouldn't be too upset either although when healthy and in form they can be suitable squad players.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We don't need another major clear out. Just the right manager who will know how to get the best out of what he as. When Giggs takes over next season we should see that.
MUFC supporter!!!

:p

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm another one who is more interested in building the squad back up rather than gut it any further - we need to add to what we have, otherwise we'd just be replacing the numbers in the squad.

Whilst we might end-up with a better quality of squad overall, that's not going to help when 75% of them are sat in the stands injured. Sir Alex knew we needed a big squad, and things are no different now.

The best thing to come from the time after Sir Alex (other than the signing of central-midfielders of course) is the emergence of the young players, but they should not be the squad depth for a club as cursed with injuries as we always are.

Devil81

Squad changes galore for me, far too many of this squad aren't winners. We're a club that lives on that winning mentality.

Clearance

Valdes - Contract up, no plans to sign a further deal.
Darmian - The type of character you'd expect to have the really limp handshake. Clearly not good enough for a top club.
Jones - Not a bad player when fit, which is never. It's time to close the chapter on Jones.
Schweinsteiger - We hoped he'd have a few years left in him, looks like he's not even got a season in him.
Fellaini - Nowt personal on this one, he can't be faulted for effort. Just was never ever a United player, he's a symbol of the decline in my opinion.
Januzaj - Clearly a very talented youth team player and burst on the scene as if he was gonna be world class. Doesn't seem to have the minerals in my opinion.

Utility players (Shouldn't be considered first team players but are very useful squad additions and well worth a place in the squad.

Young - Can play a few roles pretty averagely, also plays with his heart on his sleeve.
Valencia - Whether you like him or loath him, he's had some fantastic games down the years and is often the target of the moaning brigade.
Carrick - Offers the same experience as Schweinsteiger and on fraction of the wage.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Squad changes galore for me, far too many of this squad aren't winners. We're a club that lives on that winning mentality.

Clearance

Valdes - Contract up, no plans to sign a further deal.
Darmian - The type of character you'd expect to have the really limp handshake. Clearly not good enough for a top club.
Jones - Not a bad player when fit, which is never. It's time to close the chapter on Jones.
Schweinsteiger - We hoped he'd have a few years left in him, looks like he's not even got a season in him.
Fellaini - Nowt personal on this one, he can't be faulted for effort. Just was never ever a United player, he's a symbol of the decline in my opinion.
Januzaj - Clearly a very talented youth team player and burst on the scene as if he was gonna be world class. Doesn't seem to have the minerals in my opinion.

Utility players (Shouldn't be considered first team players but are very useful squad additions and well worth a place in the squad.

Young - Can play a few roles pretty averagely, also plays with his heart on his sleeve.
Valencia - Whether you like him or loath him, he's had some fantastic games down the years and is often the target of the moaning brigade.
Carrick - Offers the same experience as Schweinsteiger and on fraction of the wage.
I dont agree for Darmian, Jones, Schweini but I can understand those choices. But Januzaj! People shout Pereira for starts because of his performances with U21s, but people forget that Januzaj has been matching his performances, if not bettering them match after match. How people prefer Lingard to him is over me

Devil81

I dont agree for Darmian, Jones, Schweini but I can understand those choices. But Januzaj! People shout Pereira for starts because of his performances with U21s, but people forget that Januzaj has been matching his performances, if not bettering them match after match. How people prefer Lingard to him is over me
Januzaj seems to lack the heart to make it at United for me, you can be as skillful as Ronaldo, but if you haven't got the drive or the dedication you won't make it. A big turning point with my opinion on Januzaj was Burnley at home last season, I watch him stroll around like a kid on a park pitch. Zero effort was made to get about the pitch off the ball, he's would stroll shoulders down as if he wasn't arsed.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Januzaj seems to lack the heart to make it at United for me, you can be as skillful as Ronaldo, but if you haven't got the drive or the dedication you won't make it. A big turning point with my opinion on Januzaj was Burnley at home last season, I watch him stroll around like a kid on a park pitch. Zero effort was made to get about the pitch off the ball, he's would stroll shoulders down as if he wasn't arsed.
I felt Januzaj started trying too much because of increased competition he was facing. I honestly feel it was the insecurity that led him to be a bit more selfish and hence poor decisions.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
I am finding it strange that most people want Depay to stay. What exactly has he shown this season to deserve a place in United team? He just seems a grade or two below the standard of a United team willing to fight for PL.

itso 7

I don't believe we need to part with that much to catch up with other teams particularly if we can get Zlatan for free. If we really do our homework we shouldn't have to part with more than £25m for a CB to partner Mike because contrary to others I don't think we should look for these overpriced fancy passers who can barely defend, sign a defender first and foremost. Dragovic whilst not being as heralded as the others would be adequate playing alongside Smalling. The real work is on replacing Carrick's influence on the ball, maybe Schweinsteiger can do whilst we search for a long term option or we will go for one of the young guns on the continent immediately? I don't know!
In attack we need an assured goal scorer who is capable of getting 30+ league goals and a right winger, those two will surely set us back £100m if we don't go for Ibra. The no.10 and LW are pretty stocked with Martial going to spend the next couple of years there whilst the rest of his game comes together. Memphis, Januzaj, Lingard and Young provide us with squad options on the wing whilst Mata and Pereira should compete for the 10.