Gaming Summer Games Fest 2023 | 7 - 12 June

Bebe

I actually like the move back to a 2D action-platformer, it looks like it could be really fun. The problem was the presentation of this trailer, and especially the god awful and completely misplaced music. What on earth were they thinking?
Agreed that the gameplay looked interesting. Presentation was just terrible though and I'm not really one for side scrollers.

Ainu

So apparently a demo for Lies of P, that steampunk Bloodborne game where you play as Pinocchio, was released yesterday. I played it for a bit on PS5 and I have to say I'm not impressed. Aesthetically it's pretty good and, at least in performance mode, the framerate seems very stable, which is a good sign for a demo. Level layout didn't do much for me but it's hard to judge in a demo.

I'm not sold on the combat though. It blatantly tries to be Bloodborne but doesn't feel like it. With the dodge being as awful as it is, it feels like you're supposed to block/parry more often, but it's not exactly Sekiro either. It lacks that typical FromSoft responsiveness. It might be down to the learning curve, but it doesn't feel as instantly enjoyable as the best games in this genre (so basically FromSoft and Team Ninja).

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So apparently a demo for Lies of P, that steampunk Bloodborne game where you play as Pinocchio, was released yesterday. I played it for a bit on PS5 and I have to say I'm not impressed. Aesthetically it's pretty good and, at least in performance mode, the framerate seems very stable, which is a good sign for a demo. Level layout didn't do much for me but it's hard to judge in a demo.

I'm not sold on the combat though. It blatantly tries to be Bloodborne but doesn't feel like it. With the dodge being as awful as it is, it feels like you're supposed to block/parry more often, but it's not exactly Sekiro either. It lacks that typical FromSoft responsiveness. It might be down to the learning curve, but it doesn't feel as instantly enjoyable as the best games in this genre (so basically FromSoft and Team Ninja).
I've tried it for a bit and as usual with most of the souls clones, they fail to understand what it is about From games that makes the gameplay their forte. The dodge/parry issues are also due to the framerates not being calculated properly and lack of coherence in the i-frames in my humble opinion.

Also, I've just seen it's £49.99 on Steam. It looks and plays like a clone. Yeah, that's not great pricing.

Ainu

I've tried it for a bit and as usual with most of the souls clones, they fail to understand what it is about From games that makes the gameplay their forte. The dodge/parry issues are also due to the framerates not being calculated properly and lack of coherence in the i-frames in my humble opinion.

Also, I've just seen it's £49.99 on Steam. It looks and plays like a clone. Yeah, that's not great pricing.
I'm hesitant to complain about i-frames, as it might just be that I suck at this combat. But yeah, either the i-frames or hitboxes are pretty inconsistent, or both (which sadly seems most likely).

Redlambs

I'm hesitant to complain about i-frames, as it might just be that I suck at this combat. But yeah, either the i-frames or hitboxes are pretty inconsistent, or both (which sadly seems most likely).
It's both, plus the controls are pretty tight but that just shows up the issues elsewhere
There's basically all sorts going on with the framerate affecting those components. But that is fixable.

What bothers me more is that it's just too predictable, and there's not a lot of soul in any part of it. As a budget Thymesia style game it could work, but as a blatant Bloodbourne clone for full price? Nope. It simply has to get all the elements right to even attempt that kind of level. And they are claiming launch in 3 months and confident enough to have this demo now...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That’s a shame. Artistically it looked very interesting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agreed that the gameplay looked interesting. Presentation was just terrible though and I'm not really one for side scrollers.
It looked good to me. But hip hop and PoP is a hilariously bad combo.

Chairman Steve

The new Prince of Persia looked nice enough with its obvious Metroid Dread inspiration. I also didn’t agree with the music choice and I’m not a fan of how the Prince looks. He looks like he stepped off the set of Black Panther or something.

Although Sands of Time remake is the one to look for though. That‘s a game that surely even Ubisoft can’t feck up… right? :nervous:

Redlambs

That’s a shame. Artistically it looked very interesting.
It basically looks like a PS4 game, it has none of the grit and atmosphere of BB though (For example it copies the enemies knocking at doors but there's no sounds from houses, and no interactions to be had. Just soulless doors in boring streets). Lots of what looks like stock textures/models too.

But all in all, it's just all so bland. The movement, the combat, the enemies, the level design...it's just not very interesting at all. Hopefully the full game has plenty of touches/side quests and all that to liven things up, but with 3 months to go I very much doubt it.

If it's priced as a AAA title, it falls way short of that.

Ainu

There's a Ubisoft event on at the moment. Lots of Avatar so far, which is probably just Far Cry: Avatar edition.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
There's a Ubisoft event on at the moment. Lots of Avatar so far, which is probably just Far Cry: Avatar edition.
Meh. We already have Far Cry: Spiderman edition coming this year.

Ainu

Not a lot of interest in the Ubisoft showcase in here, it seems. I can tell you guys, you're missing something truly awful. This is art.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Not a lot of interest in the Ubisoft showcase in here, it seems. I can tell you guys, you're missing something truly awful. This is art.
Its terrible. 2nd best showcase this year.