Summer Transfer Window 2017

izec

@Raees is in for a rude awakening if he thinks we will buy 6 players. I think it will only be 4-5. I think we need 5, the press is saying 4, and they all seem to know that.

AgentP

It will be a race between United and City on who can spend more. And City are probably going to win which is not necessarily a bad thing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It will be a race between United and City on who can spend more. And City are probably going to win which is not necessarily a bad thing.
The more Pep spends the more pressure he will be under. Yes we spent a lot, but we won trophies. They won nothing, failed in the PL and the CL. Their owners will be expecting the league and especially the CL, the latter is the holy grail for them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
@Raees is in for a rude awakening if he thinks we will buy 6 players. I think it will only be 4-5. I think we need 5, the press is saying 4, and they all seem to know that.
Agreed. The LVG days of buying 6-7 players and selling a bunch of others are long gone, and rightfully so.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

6 players would be ideal imo.

We need a CB, LB, DM, RW, AM and a CF.

My guess would be:

Keane/Lindelof
Mendy/Emerson
Dier/Fabinho
Moura/Willian
Griezmann/James
Morata/Belotti

Last edited:

NoPace

I think we'll sign 4 or 5 players: Griezmann, starting LB, starting LCB, CM/DM and then maybe a striker depending on how the Zlatan recovery is seen.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Moura, Dier, Morata and keane. Job's a good one.

Ready for 2017/18 :devil:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm really not feeling the excitement with this window just yet - Griezmann is the only one that I find really interesting that we're been linked with, but on balance I'm not sure he'll actually leave. Other names like Dier or James don't interest me at all; Keane I'm in favour of, but clearly not really a signing to get excited about. Moura? Can't see that happening. Morata seems off to Italy, and even if we did get him I'm not sure he's all that. City seem in for all the Monaco players I'd like us to bring-in, and I'm not sure what the hell we'd do if/when DDG leaves but there's no way we'd come out of that situation stronger than we are now.

Whilst I think we'll have a high spending summer, I see it being a more of a pursuit of "functional" players than of the traditional muppet targets, especially if we don't get Griezmann. Almost like the good ol' days of Sir Alex :)

Last edited:

An Irish Red

Getting Griezmann would be a good start but we really need to replace Lingard and Rashford as first choice players if we want to win the league.

We can get by with our defence just fine but we wont with our attack. One attacking signing wouldn't be enough.

Bwuk

Dave
Valencia - Bailly - Van Dijk - Mendy
Herrera - Dier - Pogba
Mkhi - Griezmann - Lemar​

wiz4231

6 players would be ideal imo.

We need a CB, LB, DM, RW, AM and a CF.

My guess would be:

Keane/Lindelof
Mendy/Emerson
Dier/Fabinho
Moura/Willian
Griezmann/James
Morata/Belotti
Agree, we need 6 players for those positions if we want to improve.

My pick would be

CB - Raphael Varane
LB - Alex Sandro
CM - Andre Gomes
AM - James Rodriguez
RW - Antoine Griezmann
ST - Alvaro Morata

Lol, Dreaming

beingshe7don

Moura, Dier, Morata and keane. Job's a good one.

Ready for 2017/18 :devil:
Dier isn't coming as Spurs wouldn't sell him to any competitors.
Moura is someone I think would definitely lift our team but as a squad player
Morata is a good enough striker and I think he would be good
Keane is a better defender than Smalling/ Jones and I think that should be good too

Griezmann should be added to that list and we would be in business to kick off next season

3 attacking players should lift us from our goal drought as well as prepare us for Champions League without Zlatan

Zii

Jose is building a team, a squad. Not names. We will have a good team, I trust him.

AgentP

I'm really not feeling the excitement with this window just yet - Griezmann is the only one that I find really interesting that we're been linked with, but on balance I'm not sure he'll actually leave. Other names like Dier or James don't interest me at all; Keane I'm in favour of, but clearly not really a signing to get excited about. Moura? Can't see that happening. Morata seems off to Italy, and even if we did get him I'm not sure he's all that. City seem in for all the Monaco players I'd like us to bring-in, and I'm not sure what the hell we'd do if/when DDG leaves but there's no way we'd come out of that situation stronger than we are now.

Whilst I think we'll have a high spending summer, I see it being a more of a pursuit of "functional" players than of the traditional muppet targets, especially if we don't get Griezmann. Almost like the good ol' days of Sir Alex :)
All we have are 'functional' players in our squad. We need to get a few special players to raise our game to the next level especially in attack and midfield. But there doesn't seem to be any clear targets which is a bit frustrating for us fans. But Jose is one of the best managers as far as transfers are concerned so I'm going to trust him to get the job done.

Kant-ona

Griezmann is the only one that I find really interesting that we're been linked with...
We shouldn't forget that Woodward signed players in the last years we weren't linked at all, didn't he? Falcao. Di Maria. There was no medial noise (or only in the last hours) before these transfers happend. So I wouldn't give too much about the players we are linked with. Anything can happen.

El Zoido

Jose was back in London this morning. So he was in Monaco yesterday for the GP qualification but didn't stay for the race. Anything to be read in to that?

DomesticTadpole

Jose was back in London this morning. So he was in Monaco yesterday for the GP qualification but didn't stay for the race. Anything to be read in to that?
Unless he is rushing off on holiday. It seems odd. He would easily get into the actual race. Why just qualifying?

Silverman

Imo we don't need Silva or Mendy. We have enough #10's at the moment and adding Silva would just inflate that area further. Personally, I think Shaw deserves a chance to establish himself. He now knows what Mourinho expects of him and has a full pre-season to get himself fighting fit. He may remain injury prone but with Darmian and Blind its a risk I'd be willing to take. We know a fit Shaw is able to tear up the Premier League but Mendy is an unknown quantity.
I think we need a CB, a CM, a wide attacker and a Striker if Ibra leaves. If I had to choose now I would like to see Van Dijk arrive for CB and Griezmann as a striker if Jose has an idea to get the best out of him and Pogba in the same team. Stuck on who i'd like to see arrive as CM and wide attacker.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Confederation Cup years are usually the craziest transfer summers. Real bagging Ronaldo/Benzema/Alonzo and the Zlatan/Eto'o swap happened in 2009. Bale going to Real, Neymar to Barca, Ozil to Arsenal happened 2013.

Norris

This isn't the twitter thread, this is just a thread to discuss what is needed i this window.
:lol:. My Bad. I saw "Summer" and just assumed this was the twitter thread. Off to camp in the twitter thread now. Thanks for the heads up.

AgentP

:lol:. My Bad. I saw "Summer" and just assumed this was the twitter thread. Off to camp in the twitter thread now. Thanks for the heads up.
The twitter thread has been pretty frustrating so far with City being the only proactive club. In a week's time maybe things will get a bit more interesting for us.

Norris

The twitter thread has been pretty frustrating so far with City being the only proactive club. In a week's time maybe things will get a bit more interesting for us.
Personally, I'm not worried about City's transfer plans. If we wanted the likes of Silva and Mendy (who might join them), we would have got them no matter what. I think Mourinho's signings will not as exciting as last year's transfers to the majority on the Caf, but I am sure excited to see how the team will shape up.

Peanut Butter

Just watched Full Time Devils post season video and Jamie Jackson says Jose is "obsessed with getting Lukaku."

Reckons we are in for Griezmann too.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just watched Full Time Devils post season video and Jamie Jackson says Jose is "obsessed with getting Lukaku."

Reckons we are in for Griezmann too.
What was the reason Lukaku left Chelsea again at the time? Just lack of playing time?

I'm a fan of the big man, he is a handful like Ibra and can nick us those critical extra few goals. I don't think it ll be bad for Rashford honestly - Rashford is far more versatile and technical than Lukaku and obviously still very young. He d still get plenty of time to play.

Mister_Stubbs

With so few options for strikers out there, Lukaku won't be so bad.
The guy knows where the back of the net is, especially against those lower down the league which is something we struggled with last season. Wouldn't be the worst signing we could make this summer.

AgentP

Can you imagine our match day threads combined with his trademark 'first touch'?
Yeah, his first touch is Rooney level. But we need a striker who'll get us 20 goals in the league and there are very few who can do that.

The guy knows where the back of the net is, especially against those lower down the league which is something we struggled with last season. Wouldn't be the worst signing we could make this summer.
Agree. He's just 23 as well. He'll improve other parts of his game.

DomesticTadpole

As long as we get Griezmann as well. They could be a good combination. I want as many goal scoring options as possible. If Lukaku disappears against the big teams we will be no better off.

DomesticTadpole

I would LOVE Lukaku. He's an exciting player and he wants out of Everton so could be a straightforward deal.
It might be on his part, but if it is correct that Everton want 100m that could be a sticking point. We paid all that money for Paul, but at least he won things in a successful side. Lukaku has won nothing and hasn't contributed to a side enabling them to win anything.

AgentP

I would LOVE Lukaku. He's an exciting player and he wants out of Everton so could be a straightforward deal.
With Costa most likely staying at Chelsea, we'll be front-runners to sign him. Riaola being his agent isa good thing for us as well.

DomesticTadpole

Yeah, his first touch is Rooney level. But we need a striker who'll get us 20 goals in the league and there are very few who can do that.

Agree. He's just 23 as well. He'll improve other parts of his game.
He's a friend of Pogba as well with Griezmann isn't he. Nice little menage a trois going on there.