Summer transfer window to make us competitive..

ForeverRed1

So the summer transfer window is open and your Erik Ten Hag. Who do you sell from this squad because they’re not good enough or to bolster your spending? Who do you sign, for how much? do you go for any free transfers or players with Contracts coming to a end ? Who comes back off loan ?

Do you change any of this current crops roles in the team? Example, do you sign a DM and play eriksen elsewhere?

What does your first team look like with additions and sales? What makes us truely competitive, also, let’s say we’re in champions league too. .

interesting to hear all your opinions… be ruthless, but be realistic, go…

BelfastRed2021

I think De Jong and Kane and we would be serious title challengers obviously sell Maguire and Wan Bisakka and buy a new RB aswell possibly bring in Raya from Brentford aswell wont his contract be up? i dont think we really need Henderson so could sell him aswell.

ForeverRed1

I think De Jong and Kane and we would be serious title challengers obviously sell Maguire and Wan Bisakka and buy a new RB aswell possibly bring in Raya from Brentford aswell wont his contract be up? i dont think we really need Henderson so could sell him aswell.
No chance de jong is coming, he loves his beloved Barcelona too much. What about enzo Fernandez? He is up for grabs and a realistic option come the summer. What right back would you go for ? It’s a shame we didn’t go get trippier when we had the chance. Been class for Newcastle.

davidmichael

I honestly believe we’re a top class centre forward and an upgrade on Eriksen alongside Casemiro away from really pushing for the title and even winning it, it just shows what a top quality progressive coach can do as a lot of the players were there under Ole and some under Jose.

If we brought in one of Fernandez, De Jong or Bellingham along with one of Kane, Osimhen or Vlahovic and maybe N’Dicka on a free we’d be very strong. We’d still have deadwood in Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, Jones, Bailly, one of Lindelof or Maguire, Telles, VDB and Elanga so it’d be nice to move them on too.

I think unless we’re going to go with Laird as back up to Dalot then AWB is a decent squad option whilst Jurado is also coming through, at left back we have Shaw and Malacia with Fernandez coming through so we’re good at full back whilst we’re stacked out wide up top too so it’s midfield and a centre forward for me.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We need a goalkeeper. Playing from the back is so important if we want to genuinely progress our transition.

Sánchez
Dalot Varane Martínez Shaw
Casemiro De Jong
Antony Fernandes Rashford
Kane

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sell - Maguire, McTominay, Henderson, VDB, Elanga.
Out of Contract - Tuanzebe, Jones

We could try and sell Bailly, Williams, Telles but realistically what we'll get for them is pennies.

That'll probably finance two maybe three top quality players. We'll need a CB to replace Maguire as backup option. A new CM for Eriksen backup and a first choice CF. That's the bare minimum. I think then making decisions on De Gea and AWB, both decent players but we need them to be more comfortable on the ball. De Gea for me will never be good enough on the ball to cope against the very top teams. AWB despite improving isn't a modern FB and never will be. Tough decisions but if we want to continue with Ten Hags vision then they're players that will need to go sooner or later.

ForeverRed1

I honestly believe we’re a top class centre forward and an upgrade on Eriksen alongside Casemiro away from really pushing for the title and even winning it, it just shows what a top quality progressive coach can do as a lot of the players were there under Ole and some under Jose.

If we brought in one of Fernandez, De Jong or Bellingham along with one of Kane, Osimhen or Vlahovic and maybe N’Dicka on a free we’d be very strong. We’d still have deadwood in Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, Jones, Bailly, one of Lindelof or Maguire, Telles, VDB and Elanga so it’d be nice to move them on too.

I think unless we’re going to go with Laird as back up to Dalot then AWB is a decent squad option whilst Jurado is also coming through, at left back we have Shaw and Malacia with Fernandez coming through so we’re good at full back whilst we’re stacked out wide up top too so it’s midfield and a centre forward for me.
I agree with you. Maybe a couple malacia type signings, as squad depth wins you things. De jong won’t come but there’s a chance we could get one of enzo or Bellingham if we went in hard for them. Not a bad shout.

We need a goalkeeper. Playing from the back is so important if we want to genuinely progress our transition.

Sánchez
Casemiro De Jong
Kane
ooooosh. Nice team. As I said above though, forget de jong. Big call on de Gea for Sanchez also! Kane would be incredible.

Sell - Maguire, McTominay, Henderson, VDB, Elanga.
Out of Contract - Tuanzebe, Jones

We could try and sell Bailly, Williams, Telles but realistically what we'll get for them is pennies.

That'll probably finance two maybe three top quality players. We'll need a CB to replace Maguire as backup option. A new CM for Eriksen backup and a first choice CF. That's the bare minimum. I think then making decisions on De Gea and AWB, both decent players but we need them to be more comfortable on the ball. De Gea for me will never be good enough on the ball to cope against the very top teams. AWB despite improving isn't a modern FB and never will be. Tough decisions but if we want to continue with Ten Hags vision then they're players that will need to go sooner or later.
As a back up for Eriksen? No way; we need a proper CDM to replace Eriksen as first choice, as good as he is, defensively he’s not strong enough. He should be back up there and with Bruno. Plenty of games in it for him.

croadyman

No chance de jong is coming, he loves his beloved Barcelona too much. What about enzo Fernandez? He is up for grabs and a realistic option come the summer. What right back would you go for ? It’s a shame we didn’t go get trippier when we had the chance. Been class for Newcastle.
Yeah Trippier would have been useful

CM

We could use another summer like last one, bring in 5 or 6 new players so we can relegate the weaker starting players to squad roles and sell the squad players who aren't good enough. Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, McTominay, van de Beek and Elanga can all go.

Goalkeeper, midfielder and striker are the most important positions of need for the starting eleven but we could use 2 or 3 more squad players on top to have a squad that's strong enough to go and challenge on all fronts. A lot will depend on what happens with the ownership I guess, but we also need to be quicker at getting players in than we were last summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sign:
  • Kane or Osimhen - whatever it takes
  • Lavia - Southampton probably getting relegated, cheap
  • Bella Kotchap or Ahmedhodzic - Southampton probably relegated, Sheffield Utd just getting promoted
  • David Raya - cheap with 1 year left
  • Whoever as backup goalkeeper, maybe keep Butland
  • Kovacic on cheap or Tielemans on free (ideally Enzo or Frenkie, but don't think we can do all the above and the midfielder, so take advantage of free market)
Sell:
  • Maguire
  • McTominay
  • Elanga
  • De Gea (release, not gonna happen but anyway)
  • Van de Beek
  • Henderson
Net spend of basically just the striker.

Loan (of players with actual future roles here)
  • Pellistri
  • Amad
Squad (Starter, backup)
GK: Raya, don't care
RB: Dalot, Wan Bissaka
RCB: Varane, Bella Kotchap
LCB: Martinez, Lindelof* (really Shaw comes in here if ever needed and Malacia starts at LB)
LB: Shaw, Malacia
DM: Casemiro, Lavia
CM: Tielemans, Fred
CAM: Bruno, Eriksen
RW: Antony, Sancho
LW: Rashford, Garnacho
ST: Kane, Martial

Everyone not named is too irrelevant to remember or should leave for good... But we can challenge for the league with this without a doubt. Summer 2024, spend big on the CM like Enzo or Frenkie or Bennacer, probably get a goalkeeper like Maignan or Diogo Costa in if Raya isn't good enough.

Irwin99

Sánchez
Casemiro De Jong
Kane
I really like this team and it could be a title winning one if Dalot and Shaw maintain their level and Antony improves. Eriksen has been fantastic for us but if United could get a player that could create like him but also have other attributes (physically stronger, can press and carry the ball more) this would be a huge benefit. Kane is such an obvious fit too.

I do wonder if all of that or similar can happen in one window mind :(

mu4c_20le

We really only need a top striker and midfielder. Gk would be a bonus, I'm leaning towards Raya because of the contract situation and Sanchez seems to lose his head and act like a clown every once in awhile.

Enzo would be lovely, especially if we can guarantee him CL football. We're a better sell than Chelsea right now, and we have agent martinez.

Dominos

In terms of first 11, I think an elite midfielder and striker might be enough to make us one of the contenders.

Personally I'm still hoping we bring in a new first choice keeper too but not sure what the plan is there.

However we need to keep in mind any players that leave need replacing for depth. Maguire/Bailly/Tuanzebe will leave so a new CB will need to be brought in as cover for Varane/Martinez. Same with a new right back when AWB likely leaves. Aim should always be to have 2 quality options for each position.

croadyman

Yeah we could knock out his beloved team next month and it still wouldn't convince him. I like Fernandez but will we be put off by that £105m release clause,also keep hearing he isn't really that ball professor we need.

croadyman

In terms of first 11, I think an elite midfielder and striker might be enough to make us one of the contenders.

Personally I'm still hoping we bring in a new first choice keeper too but not sure what the plan is there.

However we need to keep in mind any players that leave need replacing for depth. Maguire/Bailly/Tuanzebe will leave so a new CB will need to be brought in as cover for Varane/Martinez. Same with a new right back when AWB likely leaves. Aim should always be to have 2 quality options for each position.
Which GK should we bring in,keep hearing that the likes of Sanchez/Raya aren't the level we need

RopersReturn

Looking ahead I still think there are a number of decent affordable players we should sign who’d potentially be able to step in with an immediate impact, amongst them:

Kvaratskhelia, admittedly plays on the wing for Napoli but is versatile enough to probably slip into a more central position.

Marcelo Brozović, tried and tested Inter defensive midfielder, would provide backup for Casemiro as well as being a dam sight cheaper than de Jong should any deal for him stall in future.

Ivan Toney, has been a goal machine for Brentford this season. Strong with great acceleration and a proven finisher. Worth putting in an offer for this summer.

David Raya, a proven sweeper keeper who is adept with the ball at his feet, ideal for playing out from the back.

In terms of selling, I’d inclined to agree with the majority on this thread so this would include the following: Maguire, McTominay, VdB, Elanga, Williams, Telles, Jones(release), Heaton.

EtH

Kane, Tielemans and Timber. £125-150mish.

Sell Hendo, AWB, Harry, Telles, McTominay and Elanga which should net us £100mish.

Would love to upgrade GK but not sure the funds are there considering all the FFP talk.

Tarrou

sell dross

buy Kane + De Jong

try to add one or two freebies for squad depth

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Out: Maguire, Tuanzebe, Telles, Jones, Henderson, McTominay, VdB, Bailly, AWB, Elanga

In:

Bellingham (loads)
Kane (loads)
Gusto (30m~)
Ndicka (free)
Raya (free)
Tielemans (free)
Amad (loan return)

RedBanker

I love you Ole
After the sale to Qatar obviously:
1. Maignan
2. Dumfries
3. CB
4. De Jong
5. DM
6. Osimhen

Sold/released:
1. Bissaka
2. Tominay
3. Maguire
4. Elanga
5. Telles

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Goalkeeper: time to bid de Gea adieu (been a great servant, and so forth), and liberate Vandervoordt from his weird Leipzig contract (possesses the tools to become an excellent player for the club). Right now is as good a time as any to integrate a young goalkeeper — they will have experienced pros like Casemiro, Varane, Shaw and Lisandro in front of them.
  • Fullback: depth or competition for Dalot at rightback (someone who is functionally and stylistically a suitable fit); on the other flank we should have plenty of options with Shaw, Malacia and Fernández.
  • Central defense: budget-friendly, developmental talent who can hopefully emerge as Varane's long term successor at right centerback, like Vušković from Hajduk Split. Don't really need additional cover at left centerback.
  • Midfield: biggest area of concern in a general sense, as we currently lack ball carriers (who can receive the ball in tight spaces and nonchalantly evade the press) and players who can orchestrate the game week-in and week-out. Will sound blasphemous but I would sell Bruno while he retains value in the mercato, and try to sign de Jong (ball carrier and can control the game) and Wirtz (wonderful creative passer, likes to take risks but can be quite calculating; might be slightly cheaper after returning from long term injury?) Should also integrate Hannibal into the playing squad, and scour Brazil for the next “cement between the stones” whiz — they have produced sooo many good players for similar-ish roles in the last 10-15 years (Fernandinho, Casemiro, Fabinho (needed more tweaking than others), Guimarães, et cetera).
  • Wings: stay pat; lots of options with Rashford, Antony, Sancho (once his rehabilitation is complete), Garnacho, Diallo (could also deputize as a central attacker).
  • Center forward: Pragmaticism versus romanticism. Torn between Kane (established performer who will provide an immediate impact) and someone like Ferguson. The latter would be a much more risky transfer given his inexperience (and the move could totally blow up in our faces), but there's something really appealing about signing a young player who could bloom and hold the fort for many, many years — like Rooney for us all those years ago, del Piero for Juventus in 1993, et cetera (not that Ferguson is comparable to those legends per se). Arsenal's barnstorming performances with whippersnappers like Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah influence my decision-making too — and they also wanted to sign Mudryk.

P.S. There's a near 100% chance that we will not sign any of those players; not the most realistic (or prudent, one might argue) strategy all things considered. :)

AdNani

David Raya 10-15m
Tielemans.
Gonçalo Ramos 60m
Lobotka - 30-40
Edson Alvarez - 30-40

Sell.
Henderson 30-40m
Maguire 30-40m
McTominay - 20-30m
Van De Beek - 20-30m

Bailly, Telles, Jones, Tuanzebe, Williams all to leave as well for probably a combined total of 20m. So taking the minimum sale value for each player and maximum buy price we would vastly improve the squad with a net spend of 40m

Raya
Dalot-----Varane-----Martinez-----Shaw
Casemiro-----Lobotka
Bruno
Antony------------Ramos----------Rashford
Defensive Rotation
Heaton
AWB
Lindelof
Alvarez
Malacia

Midfield Rotation
Tielemans
Eriksen
Fred
Alvarez

Attacking Rotation
Sancho
Martial
Garnacho

Valencia Shin Crosses

Without assuming that we get bought by oil money that wants to make a splash, this is where I'm at:
Initial budget w/o sales- 125m

Sell
:
Maguire- 35m
Bailly- 10m
Henderson- 30m
McT- 20m
VdB-25m
AWB- 25m

New budget for signings- 260m

Sign:

Ndicka - Free
Raya- 20m
Rabiot- 10m
De Jong- 75m
Toney- 50m
Sesko- 50m
Frimpong- 20m

It's a bit of pipe dream to make that many signings/get that many players out unless we all of the sudden become much more efficient in how we deal with transfers, but this seems like a good and realistic base and would provide quality in every area we require

ST: Toney, Sesko, Martial....We get a proven PL goalscorer with excellent link up play without having to break the bank for Osimhen or Kane, who both have their drawbacks. All three of these options provide good technical skill and Sesko is the Greenwood replacement to become a future star at the position.
LW: Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho
RW: Antony, Sancho, Amad.... Yes I think Amad plays for us next year
CAM: Bruno, Amad, Erisken
CM: De Jong, Eriksen, Fred, Rabiot.... De Jong finally comes and gives us that elite 8 as a carrier and passer. Rabiot provides fantastic CM depth as another technical combative midfielder
CDM: Casemiro, De Jong, Fred
RB: Dalot, Frimpong
CB: Varane, Licha, Ndicka, Lindelof.... Ndicka is a perfect understudy to Varane for free. Replaces Maguire

GK: Raya, DDG.... We have to have a keeper that can distribute properly, it's an underrated serious issue against top teams. Raya is excellent with his feet and can be had for cheaper given his contract situation

BelfastRed2021

Yeh i no De Jong is unrealistic but i have a feeling Ten Hag will try again Enzo would be good but 120 million is far to much but i suppose in the long run it would be worth it. Barcelona do have serious financial problems and there is no more levers to pull and if we are in the champions league who's to say De Jong wont happen. Yeh Trippier has been been great and im annoyed we didnt get him it looked a no brainer. What about Pedro Porro?

croadyman

Without assuming that we get bought by oil money that wants to make a splash, this is where I'm at:
Initial budget w/o sales- 125m

Sell
:
Maguire- 35m
Bailly- 10m
Henderson- 30m
McT- 20m
VdB-25m
AWB- 25m

New budget for signings- 260m

Sign:

Ndicka - Free
Raya- 20m
Rabiot- 10m
De Jong- 75m
Toney- 50m
Sesko- 50m
Frimpong- 20m

It's a bit of pipe dream to make that many signings/get that many players out unless we all of the sudden become much more efficient in how we deal with transfers, but this seems like a good and realistic base and would provide quality in every area we require

ST: Toney, Sesko, Martial....We get a proven PL goalscorer with excellent link up play without having to break the bank for Osimhen or Kane, who both have their drawbacks. All three of these options provide good technical skill and Sesko is the Greenwood replacement to become a future star at the position.
LW: Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho
RW: Antony, Sancho, Amad.... Yes I think Amad plays for us next year
CAM: Bruno, Amad, Erisken
CM: De Jong, Eriksen, Fred, Rabiot.... De Jong finally comes and gives us that elite 8 as a carrier and passer. Rabiot provides fantastic CM depth as another technical combative midfielder
CDM: Casemiro, De Jong, Fred
RB: Dalot, Frimpong
CB: Varane, Licha, Ndicka, Lindelof.... Ndicka is a perfect understudy to Varane for free. Replaces Maguire

GK: Raya, DDG.... We have to have a keeper that can distribute properly, it's an underrated serious issue against top teams. Raya is excellent with his feet and can be had for cheaper given his contract situation
I still think Toney will get punished but when that's gonna be is anyone's guess right now. Yeah you have definitely overestimated with those valuations. Certainly wouldn't be against Sesko provided we still got a proven starter one too.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's a case of the fewest number of transfers that'll make the biggest impact. Realistically, we can only afford one 80m+ player. After that we'd have to target free agents and youngsters with potential.

We've never sold effectively, so those who think we'll buy two or more pricey players are dreaming. I hope they're right.

croadyman

It's a case of the fewest number of transfers that'll make the biggest impact. Realistically, we can only afford one 80m+ player. After that we'd have to target free agents and youngsters with potential.

We've never sold effectively, so those who think we'll buy two or more pricey players are dreaming. I hope they're right.
Wouldn't say it's a dream IF we get owners that are willing to back Erik to the hilt,however still need to utilise the free transfer market as well.

RkkMan

For me
GK- Raya
CB- Bella Kotchap if Saints get relegated or Diassi
RB- Laird
DM- Lavia if Saints get relegated or a random South American Wonderkid
CM- Mac Allister(More realistic than Jude, Enzo or FDJ all of whom are expensive or/and won't want to join Utd)
ST- Osimhen or Vlahovic. Wanted Kane but talk of him "wanting to succeed at Spurs" confirmed to me what everyone has been saying about his questionable mentality and drive let him stay trophyless there.

croadyman

For me
GK- Raya
CB- Bella Kotchap if Saints get relegated or Diassi
RB- Laird
DM- Lavia if Saints get relegated or a random South American Wonderkid
CM- Mac Allister(More realistic than Jude, Enzo or FDJ all of whom are expensive or/and won't want to join Utd)
ST- Osimhen or Vlahovic. Wanted Kane but talk of him "wanting to succeed at Spurs" confirmed to me what everyone has been saying about his questionable mentality and drive let him stay trophyless there.
Kane may be playing the contract game so not gonna judge him just yet,some interesting choices and particularly like Mac Allister (agent Licha). Shrewd signings who won’t cost a fortune. You must be after Murtough's job then.

Bondi77

Geez...what are we going to talk about when the transfer window opens?
This, I suppose but someone will change the thread title :boring::boring::boring:

RkkMan

Kane may be playing the contract game so not gonna judge him just yet,some interesting choices and particularly like Mac Allister (agent Licha). Shrewd signings who won’t cost a fortune. You must be after Murtough's job then.
There's too many reliable reports saying he'd prefer to "succeed" with Spurs. IMO if he was ambitious he wouldn't even contemplate contract talks. If it's a game fairs but wouldn't put my money on it
Mac Allister really impressed me in the WC and he's having a solid campaign for Brighton too. He's also a young player on the rise that will be hungry to add to his International Achievements at a bigger club.
Brighton won't be easy to deal with but it'll be much easier than BVB/Benfica wanting £100m+ for Jude/Enzo or another pointless rollercoaster with FDJ

eselfor

Sign:
  • Kane or Osimhen - whatever it takes
  • Lavia - Southampton probably getting relegated, cheap
  • Bella Kotchap or Ahmedhodzic - Southampton probably relegated, Sheffield Utd just getting promoted
  • David Raya - cheap with 1 year left
  • Whoever as backup goalkeeper, maybe keep Butland
  • Kovacic on cheap or Tielemans on free (ideally Enzo or Frenkie, but don't think we can do all the above and the midfielder, so take advantage of free market)
Sell:
  • Maguire
  • McTominay
  • Elanga
  • De Gea (release, not gonna happen but anyway)
  • Van de Beek
  • Henderson
Net spend of basically just the striker.

Loan (of players with actual future roles here)
  • Pellistri
  • Amad
Squad (Starter, backup)
GK: Raya, don't care
RB: Dalot, Wan Bissaka
RCB: Varane, Bella Kotchap
LCB: Martinez, Lindelof* (really Shaw comes in here if ever needed and Malacia starts at LB)
DM: Casemiro, Lavia
CM: Tielemans, Fred
CAM: Bruno, Eriksen
RW: Antony, Sancho
LW: Rashford, Garnacho
ST: Kane, Martial

Everyone not named is too irrelevant to remember or should leave for good... But we can challenge for the league with this without a doubt. Summer 2024, spend big on the CM like Enzo or Frenkie or Bennacer, probably get a goalkeeper like Maignan or Diogo Costa in if Raya isn't good enough.
This leaves us short on home grown players....

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Am I the only one who dont wany any bit of Kane here? Not at the price Tottenham are going to ask for him. Kane will be 30 when the next season starts. That means he will be in his prime another 2-3 years before slowing down.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Am I the only one who dont wany any bit of Kane here? Not at the price Tottenham are going to ask for him. Kane will be 30 when the next season starts. That means he will be in his prime another 2-3 years before slowing down.
A top goalscorer in his prime, proven in the Prem, with footballing ability and a seemingly perfect fit into Ten Hag system is what we need the most though. And it doesn't really matter if he slows down after 3 years, he never was that fast to begin with and we might look in great shape by then. He's a veteran leader who can take pressure off of guys like Sancho and Antony too. I think Osimhen is the bigger gamble. But none of this really matters anyway if Kane really wants to stay.

Herman Toothrot

Osimhen, Evan Ferguson, a decent back up centre back and a quality midfielder under 27.

Sell Maguire, DVB, Henderson, Telles, Bailey, McTominay and Elanga.

Last edited: