Summer transfer window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have started early and intend to lead fellow muppets through what promises to be an epic. We've had a good January window, but more than ever, the club keeps implying we should expect something big in the Summer months.

In between enjoying the rollercoaster of trying to make top 4, we can build up to this window here, discussing what we think we need and any cock hardening articles/comments between now and then about bringing in 'More Matas' or '4 or 5' :drool:

The midfielders we've all wanted are coming guys, let's post our way to the very best in here [/kermit]

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
First lets focus on getting that 4th spot. Otherwise none of this is happening.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Reus,Vidal,Shaw and another CM.

The Mata signing has made me believe we could sign players like that

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Reus,Vidal,Shaw and another CM.

The Mata signing has made me believe we could sign players like that
Actually the acid test will be getting a top player from a club where he is a first choice key player. The Mata transfer wasn't that.

NinjaFletch

First lets focus on getting that 4th spot. Otherwise none of this is happening.
Says who?

I don't recall City being in the Champions League when they signed half of their squad.

Pay enough money and players will come, its as simple as that.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Actually the acid test will be getting a top player from a club where he is a first choice key player. The Mata transfer wasn't that.
Come on, SP, that's a tad dramatic. Mata was a wonderful signing. Everyone jizzed over Arsenal attracting Ozil, yet the world and its mother knew he was surplus to requirements at Madrid and was touted around Europe. Just because a player's situation changes at a particular club, it doesn't make them inferior signings.

We signed van Persie when he was the best player in the league. We signed Kagawa from Germany's double-winners when he was one of the top performers in the Bundesliga. We are not a tarnished name whatsoever. There's only two clubs (arguably) bigger than ourselves and they are Madrid and Barcelona. Moyes isn't bullshitting when he claims that top players are clamouring to sign for us.

Mersault

Says who?

I don't recall City being in the Champions League when they signed half of their squad.

Pay enough money and players will come, its as simple as that.
Yeah, it's not comparable. City have endless resources, we don't. And it's not the way to go either. Besides, we're not going to get the absolute best players if we're not in the CL. They're difficult enough to get when we're in a good position. And we've yet to see an indication of some productive style from Moyes and he'll be needing to convince players to sign for the club. He's going to be fighting among some top quality managers.

I don't really expect us to acquire any top top quality without Champions League football.

Red Stone

We have a lot of players who could/should be headed out the door.

Giggs - retirement
Anderson - sold to Fiorentina/other club
Evra - off for a final big pay day?
Ferdinand - retirement/transfer to lower level
Hernandez - leaving for first team action?
Vidic - off for a final big pay day?
Nani - Moyes doesn't seem to rate him
Kagawa - same as Hernandez/Nani
Büttner - just not good enough
Valencia - probably not leaving, but he should
Young - same as Valencia

First eight being the most likely departures. I'd like Valencia and Young to leave because they don't fit in with where we seem to be heading. In addition there's the likes of RVP and Rooney who could be off for whatever reason. In any case, considering how many possible departures there are, I'd say an absolute thunderstorm of a transfer window is on the cards.

If it were up to me I'd sell Büttner, Valencia and Young and have Giggs and Rio call it a day and keep the rest, at least for another season. That leaves us with a need for those centre midfielders we've been crying out for what feels like decades now, plus a full back or two, a modern winger in the Reus mould and possibly a centre back.

Who will those players be? Well, this thread is all about finding that out, isn't it?

binary bot
Our reluctance in the January window to sign a midfielder makes me believe we're got some pretty much done, hope to see them come in early.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Come on, SP, that's a tad dramatic. Mata was a wonderful signing. Everyone jizzed over Arsenal attracting Ozil, yet the world and its mother knew he was surplus to requirements at Madrid and was touted around Europe. Just because a player's situation changes at a particular club, it doesn't make them inferior signings.

We signed van Persie when he was the best player in the league. We signed Kagawa from Germany's double-winners when he was one of the top performers in the Bundesliga. We are not a tarnished name whatsoever. There's only two clubs (arguably) bigger than ourselves and they are Madrid and Barcelona. Moyes isn't bullshitting when he claims that top players are clamouring to sign for us.
Top players will attract top clubs. The likes of Kroos, Vidal and co; if they are available in the summer there will be some serious competition fighting for their services.

Competition with more money than us and more than likely have CL football to offer over us if we do not secure that 4th place.

NinjaFletch

Yeah, it's not comparable. City have endless resources, we don't. And it's not the way to go either. Besides, we're not going to get the absolute best players if we're not in the CL. They're difficult enough to get when we're in a good position. And we've yet to see an indication of some productive style from Moyes and he'll be needing to convince players to sign for the club. He's going to be fighting among some top quality managers.

I don't really expect us to acquire any top top quality without Champions League football.
I don't see how its not.

City may be better off than us, but its not like we are poor or that players are going to become miraculously more expensive in the summer if we don't have Champions League football.

I think its scaremongering, and little more. There's enough good players to go around, as much as we laughed at City's 'project' it clearly attracted the right quality of players. Funnily enough, as well, big clubs are not always interested in the same players. Lets say we were looking at a British transfer record fee for Vidal, and he wanted to come, do people really think City and Chelsea would consider splashing that cash just because we wanted him?

Mersault

Do you honestly think a Vidal, Gundogan or a Kroos would come in the summer if we're still struggling with no CL? I can't see it.

Add to that the very pertinent topic of style. If we won't get 4th it'll likely mean that we'll have continued our sloppy performance levels and that won't exactly attract players. I'd argue that we'd need both, evidence of positive football and being in the CL.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Champions league football really is vital for us if we want to get our top targets. Otherwise we probably could've gotten the players now that we'll go for if we don't make it. I'm looking forward to it though, I expect we'll see quite a few players come in. With all the players probably leaving (rio, Vidic, evra, buttner, kagawa, Hernandez, a winger), I can see us going for:

An experienced center back (Dante, hummels, someone else like that)
1 top/starting left back (coentrao, shaw?)
1 left back cover (someone young ideally)
2 starting central midfielders (koke, kroos, gundogan, pjanic, Vidal, etc)
1 top winger/attacking player (reus :drool: )

Then I can see us going for right back cover once that's all done, maybe replace lindegaard if he decides to go somewhere, and if Rooney or van Persie leave, then a world class striker like cavani.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree with those who say we can still attract top quality even without a CL place. I don't think players will be too concerned over one season without the CL, they'll have faith in our ability to recover quickly. Don't forget, Bayern missed out on a CL place a few years ago and were able to bring in players like Ribery straight away, along with around seven others. Missing out on CL football isn't a disaster.

Still, it would certainly make things much more difficult. I'd imagine it'd give the player more leverage when negotiating the contract too, so we'd have to be willing to pay even more.

What do we need in the summer? A left back and two cms should be the priority, that'd be a damn good summer. Beyond that, a CB and a upgrade on Valencia would be nice.

Who we get rid of will be almost as important though.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted

What I'm saying is I will wait until we sign someone like a Vidal who is world class and crucial to his side before I think that we are going to play at the top table under Moyes and Woodward's stewardship.

Revan

Assumptionman
A top midfielder. Vidal, Kroos, Herrera or Gundogan. We'll get one of them, most likely Herrera IMO.

Coentrao.

Possibly a CB.

I think that this will be all, which would be a nice summer window.

Last edited:

Melvyn

prostate examiner
All signs from the club point toward a busy summer window. Moyes and Woody are under huge pressure to deliver or the pitchforks will come out.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So that's 4th place gone and the golden summer transfer window with it. Vidal and co will be joining Madrid, PSG and the likes.

Mainoldo

Sacking Moyes should be our first move of the summer transfer window. Hopefully our new manager wont need as long as him assessing new targets however.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I expect us to struggle with the transfers again, many players will be going on their holidays after the season finishes then the World Cup is on with more wanting to focus on that rather than think about transfers.
I just hope we wrap our deals up as soon as the season finishes but you just know we'll wait all Summer again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think we could use at least 2 midfielders, but ideally 3. Giggs will probably retire. Anderson is gone. Cleverley is naff. Carrick is getting older. Jones is a centre back. Fellaini could be useful for us, but he's not top class. I think our first choice midfield two needs to be reinforced, with Carrick, Fellaini and Cleverley as back up. Though I wouldn't be adverse to losing Cleverley. I just don't see what he's good at.

Left Back is a priority too, as Evra will probably leave, and Buttner is garbage.

Right Back rotation option, so we never see Smalling, Jones or Valencia there. Not the biggest priority. Could maybe even wait until January or the following Summer.

Centre Back. We could realistically end the season with no Rio and Vidic. Smalling should be first pick now, but he needs a consistent partner. Evans is good, but he's far from great. He's also been a bit injury prone. And Jones probably always will be injury prone, as he goes into everything head first, like the lunatic he is. Smalling +1. I'd like Jones to be the +1 as I think he's got a huge potential as a centre back. Shame about all the injuries.

Goalkeeper department is fine. So long as we keep Rooney, we're fine up front. Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Zaha, Nani keeps us strong in the attacking midfield department. Young and Valencia could leave, as Young isn't quite good enough and Valencia isn't going to miraculously return to the form from 09/10 - 11/12.

I can't see us buying 2/3 midfielders, two full backs and centre back in one window though.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We won't sign a player like Mata from a club like Chelsea if the circumstances aren't like that of Mata at Chelsea or a RVP at Arsenal. I won't go as far as saying we were lucky with both of those signings but there were circumstances that worked to our advantage

charlenefan

Our reluctance in the January window to sign a midfielder makes me believe we're got some pretty much done, hope to see them come in early.
I think we know who we want but I really doubt any 'all but done' though. I too hope we get our business done early otherwise I see another summer like last year.

Sam

This Summer is going to be the biggest let down of them all. All this talk of Vidal, Gundogan, Pogba, Reus...we'll get none of them.

charlenefan

This Summer is going to be the biggest let down of them all. All this talk of Vidal, Gundogan, Pogba, Reus...we'll get none of them.
I think the two from Dortmund could be gettable (I worry about Gundogan's fitness though), the two from Juventus I agree no chance. Kroos will be last years Thiago all over again I reckon

Revan

Assumptionman
My predictions for the summer:

Barkley, Kroos/Herrera and Baines/Coentrao in.

Nani, Valencia, Evra, Rio, Kagawa and Chicharito out.

Bojan11

We won't get Herrera.

Could have had him now as we know Bilbao won't sell without us paying the buyout clause. Look what they did with Martinez and Llorente.

Jacob

I think we could use at least 2 midfielders, but ideally 3. Giggs will probably retire. Anderson is gone. Cleverley is naff. Carrick is getting older. Jones is a centre back. Fellaini could be useful for us, but he's not top class. I think our first choice midfield two needs to be reinforced, with Carrick, Fellaini and Cleverley as back up. Though I wouldn't be adverse to losing Cleverley. I just don't see what he's good at.

Left Back is a priority too, as Evra will probably leave, and Buttner is garbage.

Right Back rotation option, so we never see Smalling, Jones or Valencia there. Not the biggest priority. Could maybe even wait until January or the following Summer.

Centre Back. We could realistically end the season with no Rio and Vidic. Smalling should be first pick now, but he needs a consistent partner. Evans is good, but he's far from great. He's also been a bit injury prone. And Jones probably always will be injury prone, as he goes into everything head first, like the lunatic he is. Smalling **. I'd like Jones to be the ** as I think he's got a huge potential as a centre back. Shame about all the injuries.

Goalkeeper department is fine. So long as we keep Rooney, we're fine up front. Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Zaha, Nani keeps us strong in the attacking midfield department. Young and Valencia could leave, as Young isn't quite good enough and Valencia isn't going to miraculously return to the form from 09/10 - 11/12.

I can't see us buying 2/3 midfielders, two full backs and centre back in one window though.
Started reading here. There's no way we're getting more than 3.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Very little chance without CL football. If we can replace Moyes and keep hold of our best players then that's a huge improvement already. Bring in a couple of good midfielders if the best ain't available, I'm sure there are plenty out there. Could have done with someone like Cabaye out there today....

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't know if I can get excited for a summer in which Moyes brings in players, if they're of the same ilk as Fellaini they'll only be sold by Moyes' successor before too long.

Glanville95

Well, my ideal Summer window would see us bring in five or maybe six new players. It's very unlikely that will happen however and I highly doubt we will see a mass exodus of players either. Our transfer plans will largely hinge on whether we obtain top four or not, you would have to think however.

IN:

Rotation full back:
This is with the view that Rafael could well be our only first team fullback out of out current lot. A left back will be signed you have to imagine and someone adept at playing both fullback positions who provide better cover than Smalling, Jones, Valencia or Buttner. I'm sure Seria A fanatics will put me right here, but Yagotomo looked a good player for Inter at fullback, although I have admittedly not watched Inter this season.

Left back:
It's a realistic scenario that the two left backs we possess, will not be here next season, so this is the biggest priority along with the midfield. Evra is a complete liability and someone who now jeopardises the defensive shape of the team and Buttner shouldn't be seen with a football at his feet, so a left back who can offer defensive stability and has years on his side is ideal. Luke Shaw is the obvious choice.

Two central midfielders:
One in the form of a dynamic, box-to-box player with a solid defensive game, physical presence and energy that could play an integral part in a shift towards a different style of play. Someone capable of pressing high up the pitch and contributing to the attack with good off-the-ball movement also. Vidal would be superb, but a very unlikely signing. And then more of a creative deep midfielder who can dictate and retain possession well; this as a view to being Carrick's successor whether short-term or long - I don't think we should sell Carrick by the way. I would have been ecstatic with Cabaye personally.

Winger/marquee signing: Obviously Mata was seen as a 'marquee signing' that wouldn't negate our more pressing matters and although he will make a huge - long-term difference as well as short-term quite possibly - it's a signing that glosses over the flaws. A top signing that just improves the first team quality and adds another dynamic wouldn't go amiss however. Reus would be fantastic.

OUT:

Ferdinand:
Now our 5th choice centre back and arguably our worst performer this season. Great servant, but it will be a farce if he stays and remains in a playing capacity at the club.

Evra: Again, an important senior player down the years and admirable leader, but the biggest defensive liability that is a mainstay in the side.

Buttner: Simply not good enough.

Anderson: Clearly no future at the club, is inevitable departure is overdue.

Cleverley: Not a player that I think will improve much further. Had promise, but that isn't a valid excuse anymore and his career has stagnated for the past eighteen months. I can see him improving only psychologically and he doesn't excel in any area.

Giggs: Hopefully he will do what is right for the team and retire.

Young: Looking at it from an economical point of view and due to his wages he would be apart of the cull.

Valencia: The team place far too much emphasis on using him as the one attacking avenue when he starts, so it hinders the team as a whole. Probably the luckiest player at the club in terms of gametime.

Kagawa: I really like him and believe he could still succeed here, but if it were possibly to include him in a deal for Reus and with our options in the final third I wouldn't be adverse to letting him go.

Amos & Macheda: We just should.

Glanville95

Leaves us with a squad of:

GK: de Gea, Lindegaard, Johnstone

DF: Smalling, Evans, Jones, Vidic, Rafael, Varela, Shaw, Nagatomo

MF: Vidal, new CM, Carrick, Fellaini, Powell, Fletcher, Mata, Reus, Januzaj, Nani, Zaha

FW: Rooney, van Persie, Welbeck, Hernandez

This is just my muppet dream and will invariably depend on top four. If we don't get it, it's an impossible dream and if we do get it... A distant dream.

A strong squad on paper, but the management and coaching set-up is the fundamental basics in making this work to great effect. We would need to implement a new style of play and more modern coaching, whether Moyes is capable of that is another question - I'm not sure personally.

One things for sure, a manager with a more modern approach could have a lot of joy with that team.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
You need two left backs, a right back, a centre back, a pair of centre miss and a winger IMO.

I also don't think you'll be able to attract the top names from clubs such as Dortmund and Juve if you don't finish in the CL. You'll be a massive pull to certain players, but I don't think it'll be to those that are key players in better teams.

As for Liverpool, I think we need a right back, left back, centre mid, winger and striker. CL is crucial as all of those need to be of a high quality rather than £7m punts like Aspas and Alberto. We're going to have to invest £60m+ and I think it's possible that we will.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't think we necessarily need a winger. I'm very comfortable going into next season with Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, Januzaj and RVP with Young and Nani as backups. We just need to sort the problem of our midfield not being able to press the ball and not being able to keep the ball under pressure. We must also sign a leader in that back 4 and a left back. 4 players and we're sorted.

Only then after those 4 players are signed, if a top class young striker becomes available, we should sign him to prepare for the future as I don't think Welbeck or Hernandez will ever be as good as RVP or Rooney.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think we necessarily need a winger. I'm very comfortable going into next season with Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, Januzaj and RVP with Young and Nani as backups. We just need to sort the problem of our midfield not being able to press the ball and not being able to keep the ball under pressure. We must also sign a leader in that back 4 and a left back. 4 players and we're sorted.
I don't see Kagawa being with you and I also think you'll sell another one of your wingers whether that be Valencia, Young or Nani.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't see Kagawa being with you and I also think you'll sell another one of your wingers whether that be Valencia, Young or Nani.
Let's say we do sign a 30m rated winger and him, Mata, Januzaj and Rooney are all available for selection. Who do you think will be left out? Next season Januzaj will be even better and I don't want to see him being left out just because someone else was brought in who has a price tag on his head. Januzaj is as good a prospect as any talent out there.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Let's say we do sign a 30m rated winger and him, Mata, Januzaj and Rooney are all available for selection. Who do you think will be left out? Next season Januzaj will be even better and I don't want to see him being left out just because someone else was brought in who has a price tag on his head. Januzaj is as good a prospect as any talent out there.
You rotate them. Surely with RvP and Rooney's injury issues this year you need to look at getting in another quality option to rotate in with them?