Summer Transfer Window

Stadjer

Any news on Maguire leaving? Is the only reason he would stay is because he is worried about a wage cut somewhere else? I have no idea why else he would stay.
Ego? He can still claim to be a Manchester United player and even can claim the title of captain. As long as he doesnt go into more detail than that (being the third option for RCB and a worldwide meme) than it sounds pretty impressive. Also his personal sponsordeals on instagram and such will make him more money as a Manchester United than when he is a random mid table Premier League player.

KjaAnd

My biggest fear for this window is that we end up with:

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

Not that I think any of them are bad players at all. I just don't think they will be enough to make us competitive vs. Arsenal and City.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Those outgoing prices look too high

Maggy 25m
McT 25m
Fred 15m
Elanga ok 10m
Henderson 25m
"Others 30m" ? WHAT?

Total likely: 100m
Really gonna happen: 40m (selling Fred or McT and Henderson)

You’re forgetting we’ve got Matt Hargreaves negotiating ;)

Others: Van de Beek, Bailly, Telles, Williams, Hannibal (£15m!!), Shoretire, Mengi

USREDEVIL

You’re forgetting we’ve got Matt Hargreaves negotiating ;)

Others: Van de Beek, Bailly, Telles, Williams, Hannibal (£15m!!), Shoretire, Mengi
Yeah i get it.
Thing is we have to have someone ready to pony up the dough for these players. We've got supply but no demand. It's like having a bunch of cars on the lot. Sure they are valuable but unless someone shows up on Sunday with intent to buy, they're still gonna be on the lot come Monday. I think there's some light interest in Fred, Maguire, and Henderson. Beyond that it's crickets chirping.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

Not that I think any of them are bad players at all. I just don't think they will be enough to make us competitive vs. Arsenal and City.
That would be a good window for us.
I think realistically, we'll get less.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not sure how many times it needs to be reported before you understand that even if SJ took over and said here’s 1 billion go spend it, we cannot actually do that. The investment promised is for things like the Stadium and the Infrastructure, it will not affect our summer window this season, even if he had taken over prior to the window
Everytime a club got taken over by Middle Eastern owners, big signings have been made.
If we get taken over by Qatar, we would be the first club to be taken over, with no big signings.
In any case, I don't think we need star names. I think we need players which fit the profile that ETH wants.
Also, I think we need to buy players who are up and coming, so that they make their name at MUFC.
Our biggest signings have been Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire - none of which have lasted successfully.

Gurtej

The way things stand today, we will struggle to get top 4 again unless we bring quality players in.

It’s clear Chelsea will have a good window (selling players at decent prices and some to SA) and they will go hard again on transfers.

Liverpool with Klopp can never be ruled out.

Arsenal has a young team who will get bette and looks like they are going after good targets.

Newcastle seems to get going all out after spending big previous season.

I think next year top 5 teams will qualify for CL and Man City is confirmed to be 1. The rest 4 is a tough competition between pool, arse, NC, Chelsea and us.

Without Rashford goals, we wouldn’t have finished top 4. I don’t expect him to have the same impact this year so technically we will be starting on back foot before the season begins.

Hopefully ETH is backed, and yes I want to see GW coming back into the team.

Lost bear

true....they need this done by the end of june to counter the fiscal year spending spree he went on and this one is even more important b/c he's considered a home grown player

I don't have an issue iwth signing Mount at all, he's technically a very good player. It's the amount due to the years left on his contract
Yeah, it does seem very steep.

jem

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

I think things could, and most likely will, be a lot worse.

Irwin99

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

Not actually a bad window that but you're right: next season will probably be about consolidating top 4 rather than a title challenge. Think people will be disappointed by that but the squad needs two or three more widows.

Gurtej

I really don’t know what everyone is smoking…

To finish top 4, we 100% need a striker with 25 plus goals minimum as the first priority…

Without Rashford goals, we would have ended below 6 position and I am 99% certain that Rashford won’t be able to repeat it again.

Unless board approves Greenwood to come back, I see no point in getting a young striker who might score 10 goals next season.

L1nk

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

The problem is with our current financials and ffp that's about as much as we can hope for, I don't expect us to be competing for the title next season anyway, competing with the likes of City is going to take 2-3 years because of just how good their squad is alone. Unless we sell a load of players this summer and from all accounts there's not much reports of interest in our players

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Sell:
Henderson 35m
Maguire 35m
Tuanzebe 0
Jones 0

B. Williams 5m
Telles 10m
Iqbal 1m
Bailly 5m
Mctominey 40m
VDB 15m
Hannibal 10m
Elanga 10m

= 156m to add our other 150m.

With 306m we should go for:
Onana 50m
Kim 45m
Rabiot 0m
Rice/Caicedo 90m
Kane 80m
Lavia 45m
= 320m

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

Id be pretty happy with that window. Gets us considerably younger, fixes midfield depth issues and Rabiot can cover Casemiro if needed (though that seems unlikely now), actually address goalkeeper which is a massive transformation and gets us a young, long term striker who can play a part immediately, but maybe not key right away. Next season is too soon for a title challenge anyway, but that helps us loads for the coming years. I would just hope we add a younger CB to replace Maguire, and then sort out the sales.

gajender

To finish top 4, we 100% need a striker with 25 plus goals minimum as the first priority…

Without Rashford goals, we would have ended below 6 position and I am 99% certain that Rashford won’t be able to repeat it again.

Unless board approves Greenwood to come back, I see no point in getting a young striker who might score 10 goals next season.
We clearly need a Striker because he have none currently who could be relied upon but the bolded part is clearly nonsense if 25 plus goals is for PL only .

Gurtej

We clearly need a Striker because he have none currently who could be relied upon but the bolded part is clearly nonsense if 25 plus goals is for PL only .
Get Kane, he should be the first priority before we look at next positions…. He scored 30 PL goals last year with Spurs.

gajender

Get Kane, he should be the first priority before we look at next positions…. He scored 30 PL goals last year with Spurs.
Levy doesn't want to negotiate it seems so unless Kane want to buy himself out and leave then it's simply a non starter and any way it's a separate point altogether Teams don't need 25 goal striker for top 4 that's nonsense .

United need to control games better and create better chances with improvement in goal production from current lot along with added goals from new Striker and it could be even 12-14 goals that still would make a big difference , rather than hoping that New Striker 25 goal striker would suddenly fix all our problems it would not .

doomy20

This. I am baffled this is ignored by so many. You can bring in Mount and Rabbiot and a ball-playing keeper and whatever the hell you want, if we go into the season with Weghorst and Martial while bringing in no 20+ goal striker.. 100% no top 5.

Last edited:

Nero

Why all the top 4 discussion, isn't it top 5 next year?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sell:
Henderson 35m
Maguire 35m
Tuanzebe 0
Jones 0

B. Williams 5m
Telles 10m
Iqbal 1m
Bailly 5m
Mctominey 40m
VDB 15m
Hannibal 10m
Elanga 10m

= 156m to add our other 150m.

With 306m we should go for:
Onana 50m
Kim 45m
Rabiot 0m
Rice/Caicedo 90m
Kane 80m
Lavia 45m
= 320m
Your player sale figures are extremely bloated.
Henderson is briefed to be on sale for 25m. Baily for as little as 2m. No one is paying 10m for Telles. McTominay for 40m won't happen.

Also rabiot looks set to sign a new deal with Juve. Kane isn't going to be sold for £100m to us let alone 80m.

Gurtej

This. I am baffled this is ignored by so many. You can bring in Mount and Rabbiot and a ball-playing keeper and whatever the hell you want, if we go into the season with Weghorst and Martial while bringing in no 20+ goal striker.. 100% no top 5.
The only scenario we should get a young striker is if GW comes back in squad as he will get us goals even though I understand why some people won’t like this idea

GueRed

Obviously we need more goals to improve on last season.

To maintain our top four status my top three targets are 1. Striker 2. Midfielder 3. Goalkeeper

If we dont significantly improve in these areas, next season will be a struggle.

RedRocket9908

What happens with Amad if we sign Mount? Will he be farmed out on loan again.

Both Amad and Facundo should be given a proper chance in the first team setup this year since they cost around 35m each and we were told they would go straight in to the senior squad instead of being loaned out.

Why all the top 4 discussion, isn't it top 5 next year?
Not neccesarilly, it depends how well our teams fair in this seasons European Competitions.

croadyman

Obviously we need more goals to improve on last season.

To maintain our top four status my top three targets are 1. Striker 2. Midfielder 3. Goalkeeper

If we dont significantly improve in these areas, next season will be a struggle.
I would switch GK and midfielder positions

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I don't understand how we negotiate. Take the Mount situation. United should have started talks with 2 other clubs for midfielders similar to Mount. Leak the progress and this would give us some leverage with Chelsea. Instead we seem to signal to the world that Mount is our number one target and now Chelsea can hold out for a large fee. We seem to always do this and end up paying a premium price.

croadyman

I don't understand how we negotiate. Take the Mount situation. United should have started talks with 2 other clubs for midfielders similar to Mount. Leak the progress and this would give us some leverage with Chelsea. Instead we seem to signal to the world that Mount is our number one target and now Chelsea can hold out for a large fee. We seem to always do this and end up paying a premium price.
The problem with that is there doesn't seem to be midfielders similar to Mount in club's eyes

wolvored

If this saga of selling the club goes on all through the summer, I can see a worst case scenario of two bought players only coming in, probably just before the season starts and no pre season, maybe a free transfer or two. One will definitely be a striker and the other will be a goalie if De Gea goes, or a midfielder if he stays.
I say this, because worst case is we have £100/120 mill spend as Maguire McTom Fred Bailley Telles all stay due to wages and probably Bailley and Telles go out on loan again. Henderson is the only guarantee we have for a sale as he actively wants to leave, but Forest wont want to pay more than £20 mill for him. VDB may go as well, but who will be paying more than £10 mill for him, as his career has gone backwards since he left Ajax.

wolvored

Yes we should always actively be going for 2 similar players and seeing if we can get one or both sellers to drop their price. To only declare we are after Mount in this case gives the seller the advantage.
We should also on the last bid make it a take it or leave it offer. Then walk away if unsuccessful. A couple of weeks with non negotiating and the selling club have no offers around our last bid, might make them come around to selling at that price.
Short term loss will help us sometimes in future seasons if the selling club see a pattern from our last take it or leave it offers and the difference is a lowish one as well.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
it’s a weird window this one. You’ve got like 3/4 clubs going for same players like Caicedo, Rice… who are attracting the top prem teams and then you’ve got Bayern who are also sticking there nose in :lol: Probably because they have Tuchel and he’s worked in the prem before.

ForeverRed1

I reckon we have no clue what’s going on and there will be some surprises or atleast one big one.it will come out of nowhere

JediSith

I think Mount will come. But the fact that Chelsea are making it difficult shouldn’t be seen as a sign of how poor we are at negotiating (although we are) but more a sign of how highly they rate him and how much they (Poch) realise he’ll improve United.

The signs of our incompetence are with the keeper situation, the players we probably won’t sell, the constant changing of positional priorities.

But if we get Mount, a cdm, a striker it’ll be 7/10 window

Add a keeper that suits ETH system and as long as he doesn’t turn into a Bravo then it’ll be a 9/10 window.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Appletonred

Ideally, De Jong (I know), Kane, Caicedo, Min-Jae, Onana.

Maybe under Qatari ownership this is possible.

bosskeano

I think Mount will come. But the fact that Chelsea are making it difficult shouldn’t be seen as a sign of how poor we are at negotiating (although we are) but more a sign of how highly they rate him and how much they (Poch) realise he’ll improve United.

The signs of our incompetence are with the keeper situation, the players we probably won’t sell, the constant changing of positional priorities.

But if we get Mount, a cdm, a striker it’ll be 7/10 window

Add a keeper that suits ETH system and as long as he doesn’t turn into a Bravo then it’ll be a 9/10 window.
if we sign Mount, we can forget about getting Caicedo as they'll use that money to get him from Brighton

L1nk

The annoying thing is im about to post a realistic window and yet even that feels like almost an impossibility at this point

Over the next few weeks..
Mount - 55 mill (or alternate mid between 40-50 mill)
Onana - 40 mill plus bonuses
Hojlund or Kolo Muani - 40-50mill plus bonuses

That covers the really needed positions, then go into selling mode

Henderson - 20mill
Fred - 15-20 mill
Maguire - 30 mill
Elanga - 10-15 mill
McTominay (if a 30mill offer comes in)
Telles - 1-5 mill
Bailly - 1-5 mill
Brandon Williams - 5-10 mill

I don’t see us selling players like Martial, and honestly I don’t see us seling someone like McTominay either but lets see, after that…

Experienced aged striker of age 30+ like Tehrami
If Maguire sold - Todibo
Young debutant CM/DM like Vermeeren

Honestly, is it underwhelming? Yes… but considering all the issues we have with the takeover, cashflow and ffp and how our summer is currently going i’d be surprised if we even manage this. Sorry to all the people expecting Kane, Caicedo etc

croadyman

The annoying thing is im about to post a realistic window and yet even that feels like almost an impossibility at this point

Henderson - 20mill
Fred - 15-20 mill
Maguire - 30 mill
Elanga - 10-15 mill
Telles - 1-5 mill
Bailly - 1-5 mill

I don’t see us selling players like Martial, and honestly I don’t see us seling someone like McTominay either but lets see, after that…

If Maguire sold - Todibo

Honestly, is it underwhelming? Yes… but considering all the issues we have with the takeover, cashflow and ffp and how our summer is currently going i’d be surprised if we even manage this. Sorry to all the people expecting Kane, Caicedo etc
I generally never decide if a window is underwhelming until I have seen them play,obviously there has been exceptions like 2009,2013 & 2018 where I knew it was grim

Levi1

This window is making me realize how badly City are cheating with finances

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

Henderson - 20mill
Fred - 15-20 mill
Maguire - 30 mill
Elanga - 10-15 mill
Telles - 1-5 mill
Bailly - 1-5 mill

If Maguire sold - Todibo

You can't get rid of two midfielders, Fred and McT, and only bring in one, Mount. The only exception is if we are convinced a youngster can step up and that's pretty risky.

I really, really want to sell Fred and Martial as I think they are emblematic of our averageness the last 5 or so years.

L1nk

You can't get rid of two midfielders, Fred and McT, and only bring in one, Mount. The only exception is if we are convinced a youngster can step up and that's pretty risky.

I really, really want to sell Fred and Martial as I think they are emblematic of our averageness the last 5 or so years.
I only suggest selling McT if a reasonable offer comes in, otherwise keep him. We'd only sell him if we can get another midfielder in was kinda my suggestion

Fred will most likely be gone.. this year or next. Martial I just don't see us shipping him, i'd love us to but... loan maybe, but i'd be absolutely amazed if we sold him considering we're likely to only buy 1 striker this summer, and Martial's stupid overinflated wages and injury history are just a stumbling block to any club that might be interested

yamo123x

The idea of this summer is to add to the starting XI to compete with City and Arsenal.

If we standby and allow Rice to go to one of them, then we are inmmediately worse off.

For me

Rice ( MCT + MAGUIRE + 40mill)
Hojlund ( 40 + bonuses)
Onana gk ( 40+ bonuses)
Mount (55)

If we sell Fred /Sancho/Martial then get Mitoma or Kudus.