Summer Transfer Window

Brightonian

A few scenarios in terms of sales and some corresponding transfer strategies.

Sell everyone, balance needs at DM/CF

Ramos - 70m
Caicedo - 80m
Onana - 40m
De Vrij free

Maguire - +20m
McTominay - +25m
Martial - +20m
De Gea - +20m
VdB - +5m

= 100m outlay

-

Sell everyone, prioritise CF

Kane - 100m
Lavia - 50m
Onana - 40m
De Vrij - free

Maguire - +20m
McTominay - +25m
Martial - +20m
De Gea - +20m
VdB - +5m

= 100m outlay

-

Sell most, prioritise DM

Hojlund - 50m
Caicedo - 80m
Onana - 40m
De Vrij - free

Maguire - +20m
McTominay - +25m
Martial/De Gea - +20m
VdB - +5m

= 100m outlay

-

Sell some, economise everywhere

Hojlund - 50m
Lavia - 50m
Onana - 40m
De Vrij - free

Maguire - +20m
McT/Martial/De Gea - +20/25m
VdB - +5m

=90-95m outlay

-

-I'm in the DM not AM school, so the midfielder in all these is a DM. You could substitute your equivalent AM of preference in each scenario.
-Onana seems the obvious GK option. Better than Raya for a similar price. About the same as Costa but cheaper.
-De Vrij could represent any CB on a free. But he looks the standout bargain available. Only 30, and only a couple of years since he was winning a string of Serie A 'best defender' and 'best XI' type honours. Perfectly adequate for a 4th/5th choice CB.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That kudus Brighton are after is quality. Can see him shining there. Their recruitment team is so good!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I feel like we know more about bids this year? Every Arsenal bid for Rice, every bid we made for Mount, now we're well aware Bayern have bid for Kane.

Have exact bids ever been so consistently transparent as they seem to be right now?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This is shaping up to be a comically depressing window. One that could set the club back for years imo.

Glazers won’t leave. And I think are gonna remain with Brexit Jim.

Rivals are strengthening seriously despite not even having CL footy ffs (why is more not being made of this!?). Mac Allister to dippers for 35m without us stepping in is insane.

The greatest English PL striker for decades IS available and we need a striker and instead of going in hard we’re dicking around with Mason fecking Mount for some reason.

It’s just got that feeling that something’s really not right at the club - beyond the ‘sale’ bullshit that the leeches are pulling.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Staggered by just how shit we are and we had the audacity to brief that this summer would finally be different.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I only briefly read through tweets today about our finances, but it implied that any signings will be made on credit this summer. Is that as bad as it sounds?

I remember last summer they said that the Antony signing was on credit which had been allocated for this summer, so if we're generally under the radar this summer then it won't come as a shock.

Zlatattack

My biggest fear for this window is that we end up with:

Mount (£60m)
Rabiot (free)
Højlund (£50m)
Onana (£50m)

Not that I think any of them are bad players at all. I just don't think they will be enough to make us competitive vs. Arsenal and City.
Honestly i think it'd be a stellar window. it's not perfect but it'd vastly improve us as a team. We'd have an 8 who can play regular football, a 6/8 who is talented and can act as backup/rotation with Casemiro, an actual striker who can link play and score goals and a really good goalkeeper who can build up from the back comfortably and has a good passing range.

Yeah i'd like Kane, FDJ, Caicedo, Min-Jae, Onana and ARAB money!!! but what's listed above wouldn't be too bad.

Lost bear

This is shaping up to be a comically depressing window. One that could set the club back for years imo.

Rivals are strengthening seriously despite not even having CL footy ffs (why is more not being made of this!?). Mac Allister to dippers for 35m without us stepping in is insane.

The greatest English PL striker for decades IS available and we need a striker and instead of going in hard we’re dicking around with Mason fecking Mount for some reason.

It’s just got that feeling that something’s really not right at the club - beyond the ‘sale’ bullshit that the leeches are pulling.
Jesus, that’s a deeply depressing take.
Problem is, I think you’re right about several things.

That said, I can see the value in Mount, and I don’t think Spurs will let Kane go- well, not without a fight that he doesn’t appear to be up for.

The worst possibility for me is a combination of remaining Glazers and Brexit Jim, which I fear you’re right about.

Ho hum.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We are seriously fecked.

Glazers are going to do us even worse than they did in the winter, and at this point we are not getting new owners in time. Free agents and third-rate loans is what we may get. Anything else is just empty talk. We are not in for any quality player. What an absolute shame.

pocco

loco
Didn't want to start a new thread, but is anybody else not concerned by our transfer strategy at the moment (ignoring the lack of signings).

It is pretty clear now that we are yet again just signing players that the manager has identified. For years now we have all been bemoaning our willingness to jump from one manager's strategy to the next - which has inevitably left us having to rebuild yet again right now. We sort of got ourselves a director of football in Murtough, but he just seems to be happy to go with the flow in what the manager asks.

If ETH fails here, or when he does eventually move on, we will be back to stage one. I'm surprised many are suddenly so willing to overlook this huge elephant in the room, probably because they are currently happy with ETH, but we are going down the same path yet again.

bosskeano

i dont' think it's an issue with the transfer strategy....it's clearly an issue with finances and the takeover. Glazers aren't going to drop a bunch of monies this summer to reinforce the squad if they plan on selling as they lose some of that profit.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We are seriously fecked.

Glazers are going to do us even worse than they did in the winter, and at this point we are not getting new owners in time. Free agents and third-rate loans is what we may get. Anything else is just empty talk. We are not in for any quality player. What an absolute shame.
No one left, no one came, look at the bright side, our team chemistry will improve.

RedOrange

Didn't want to start a new thread, but is anybody else not concerned by our transfer strategy at the moment (ignoring the lack of signings).

It is pretty clear now that we are yet again just signing players that the manager has identified. For years now we have all been bemoaning our willingness to jump from one manager's strategy to the next - which has inevitably left us having to rebuild yet again right now. We sort of got ourselves a director of football in Murtough, but he just seems to be happy to go with the flow in what the manager asks.

If ETH fails here, or when he does eventually move on, we will be back to stage one. I'm surprised many are suddenly so willing to overlook this huge elephant in the room, probably because they are currently happy with ETH, but we are going down the same path yet again.
Your concern is premised on the idea that all the players we're buying are shite and useless under the direction of any other manager.

pocco

loco
Your concern is premised on the idea that all the players we're buying are shite and useless under the direction of any other manager.
I've not made any comment on how good the signings have been, just that they're clearly directed by ETH. Which is the issue we have had for years and all wanted to get away from. Even today we talk about players that can't play ETHs style of football. It will be the same issue for the next manager unless there is some overriding strategy which as controlled by somebody above the manager.

RedOrange

I've not made any comment on how good the signings have been, just that they're clearly directed by ETH. Which is the issue we have had for years and all wanted to get away from. Even today we talk about players that can't play ETHs style of football. It will be the same issue for the next manager unless there is some overriding strategy which as controlled by somebody above the manager.
Can you describe what you think this would look like? Should we be buying players that don't fit with ETH's style in case the next manager has a different style?

It seems as though the club has decided to adopt a possession based style of play, play a high line and press high up the pitch to get the ball back out of possession and the transfers reflect that. It's only a problem if, after ETH leaves, the board hires the next manager based on name recognition instead of tactical fit.

Banana Republic

Apparently, today (30th June), is a transfer deadline day !

Any deals completed before the cutoff this evening, will be considered as part of the 2022/23 season accounts, for the purposes of FFP.
Any deals completed from tomorrow (1st July) will be considered within the new 2023/24 season.

pocco

loco
Can you describe what you think this would look like? Should we be buying players that don't fit with ETH's style in case the next manager has a different style?

It seems as though the club has decided to adopt a possession based style of play, play a high line and press high up the pitch to get the ball back out of possession and the transfers reflect that. It's only a problem if, after ETH leaves, the board hires the next manager based on name recognition instead of tactical fit.
Putting a DoF in place that organises transfer targets to match his/her/the clubs vision going forward. My original point was that this is clearly not the case given the absolute clusterfeck that was last seasons transfer window, which concluded with buying half of the Ajax team. There's no way you can convince me that we would have targeted Antony, Timber, Martinez, Brobbey, or the other players we targeted that had played under ETH, had we not hired ETH. I think it is safe to assume that ETH is driving the transfer targets, therefore we are still in the same boat we were previously.

And given the names of the managers we interviewed for the job, all who are very different tactically, I think it is also fair to assume that there is no overarching vision for how we want to play football, but it will instead be at the hands of each manager to decide.

pocco

loco

Any deals completed before the cutoff this evening, will be considered as part of the 2022/23 season accounts, for the purposes of FFP.
Any deals completed from tomorrow (1st July) will be considered within the new 2023/24 season.

No wonder Chelsea wanted to drag the Mount deal out slightly, will help them with their spending this summer.

Banana Republic

No wonder Chelsea wanted to drag the Mount deal out slightly, will help them with their spending this summer.
It might also explain why they've been in a hurry and already finalised offloading so many players over the last week or two, before the cutoff today.
It must have a positive FFP impact on both last season and the new season.

pocco

loco
It might also explain why they've been in a hurry and already finalised offloading so many players over the last week or two, before the cutoff today.
It must have a positive FFP impact on both last season and the new season.

Do the sales of Havertz etc help with FFP after July 1st? Only Mount will be part of the 23/24 FFP, but his sale alone will probably help balance a large spend in the remainder of the window.

Banana Republic

Do the sales of Havertz etc help with FFP after July 1st? Only Mount will be part of the 23/24 FFP, but his sale alone will probably help balance a large spend in the remainder of the window.
I thought the Havertz transfer had completed, so if I've got this right, it should fall under last seasons transactions.
They had a massive spend on players last summer and in January, so I'm guessing that a lot of FFP balancing must have been needed?
Unless the Mount deal is concluded by this evenings cutoff (unlikely I would have thought), then it'll be counted against the rest of the summer window and next season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Putting a DoF in place that organises transfer targets to match his/her/the clubs vision going forward. My original point was that this is clearly not the case given the absolute clusterfeck that was last seasons transfer window, which concluded with buying half of the Ajax team. There's no way you can convince me that we would have targeted Antony, Timber, Martinez, Brobbey, or the other players we targeted that had played under ETH, had we not hired ETH. I think it is safe to assume that ETH is driving the transfer targets, therefore we are still in the same boat we were previously.

And given the names of the managers we interviewed for the job, all who are very different tactically, I think it is also fair to assume that there is no overarching vision for how we want to play football, but it will instead be at the hands of each manager to decide.
I mostly agree with you here. ETH had Ajax playing very good football so it should be a blueprint regardless of the manager we bring in. Brighton are a very good benchmark to use. Out goes Potter and in comes De Zerbi and they haven't missed a beat as they have similar styles.

Every single one of our post Ferguson had their own (shit) style which was never a good fit for us, which is where a DOF comes in. It's not complicated to understand that by bringing in managers with similar styles the changeover would be far less damaging as we wouldn't have to change half the team each time which is something we've had to do since SAF retired.

pocco

loco
I mostly agree with you here. ETH had Ajax playing very good football so it should be a blueprint regardless of the manager we bring in. Brighton are a very good benchmark to use. Out goes Potter and in comes De Zerbi and they haven't missed a beat as they have similar styles.

Every single one of our post Ferguson had their own (shit) style which was never a good fit for us, which is where a DOF comes in. It's not complicated to understand that by bringing in managers with similar styles the changeover would be far less damaging as we wouldn't have to change half the team each time which is something we've had to do since SAF retired.
Yep, agreed. There have been thousands of man hours spent on RedCafe moaning about this, but it's suddenly forgotten about. We should always be pushing for the club to sort this out because we are just kicking the can down the road yet again.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Aren't most transfers only effective as of July 1st? Pretty sure I see that in almost every official announcement.

RedOrange

Putting a DoF in place that organises transfer targets to match his/her/the clubs vision going forward.
What if we had a designated DoF over this time and they bought all the same players? Would they be better purchases in your mind then?

You're saying the purchases are not indicative of a long term strategy, but that's only true if the tactics of ETH's successor are a major departure from what ETH's are now.

It's a potential future mistake that hasn't been made yet. The only reason to be hand-wringing about it now is if you don't like the signings and think ETH is going to fail imminently. The players the club has acquired in the summer windows so far don't have such niche skillsets that other possession based managers can't possibly work with them.

Todd

Have we any interest in that Portuguese fella Ramos or is he too similar to Rashford?
Not good enough, given our aspirations.

There's 3 strikers out there good enough IMO, Kane, Osimhen, and Lautaro. If we don't end up with one of those this summer will have been a disappointment.

Appletonred

Got a feeling that once Jassim is confirmed then Utd will spend very big, could see Kane or Neymar coming in near the end of the transfer window, and I do not think FFP
will be too much of a concern as Utd will move players on and with no debt anymore I think we will see a big splurge and a statement signing.

pocco

loco
What if we had a designated DoF over this time and they bought all the same players? Would they be better purchases in your mind then?

You're saying the purchases are not indicative of a long term strategy, but that's only true if the tactics of ETH's successor are a major departure from what ETH's are now.

It's a potential future mistake that hasn't been made yet. The only reason to be hand-wringing about it now is if you don't like the signings and think ETH is going to fail imminently. The players the club has acquired in the summer windows so far don't have such niche skillsets that other possession based managers can't possibly work with them.
I've given my reasons why I don't think we appointed ETH because he fit in with an overall plan, based on the different candidates we interviewed. Regardless of what you're saying, can you tell me that last summers transfer window looked well thought out? We went from wanting FdJ, to signing Casemiro and then never went for another profile similar to FdJ and instead signed Mount. 3 completely different types of player. I don't see a plan, I see 3 opportunistic signings that we tried to make due to their circumstances at their clubs and two of which we managed to get. And that's the crux of the problem that has plagued us for a long time. All these signings might be a success, but if they're not, and ETH fails, then everybody will be pointing out these issues once again. I can guarantee it.

And for what it's worth, I don't think we're possession based in our approach at all. We are better than we were under Ole but I think we are trying to be a team that plays in quick transitions. But that's another discussion.

Onerealunited

Confirmed departures to date

(age in parentheses)

1. Phil Jones (31): Released. Future unknown
  2. Ethan Galbraith (22): Released. Future unknown
  3. Jack Butland (30): End of loan. Player signed with Rangers
  4. Bernard Di’Shon (22): Released. Future unknown
  5. Axel Tuanzebe (25): Released. Future unknown
  6. Zidane Iqbal (20): Sold. To continue his career at FC Utrecht. Expected fee about €1.0m
  7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. To continue his career at FC Birmingham. Expected fee about €0.8m

Total income: €1.8m

doomy20

This. As things stand we are behind City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool at least.

bosskeano

we have the ability to sell Fred for 20m and Scott for 25-30m.....would be wise to make that move this summer and reinforce where it is most important

eire-red

Onana, Mount and Hojlund would be an interesting window if that's who we end up getting.

However, Onana is the only real transformative signing in that trio that I can truly make sense of in terms of a clear style that EtH wants to employ.

Hojlund is a risk, but I get it when Osimhen and Kane are seemingly completely unattainable, and every other striker on the market is of similar profile in terms of being relatively young, inexperienced and likely overpriced.

Mount I'm surprised about, but clearly EtH sees something there to have prioritised him.

We need to get some players moving the other way though. Henderson, Maguire, van de Beek, Fred or McTominay, Elanga for starters. Bailly and Telles as well.

Redstain

Sales are just as important as the incoming. I think the club must move Maguire, Mctomminay and Henderson. They should be relatively easy because they are decent players for an average prem team. Biggest issue perhaps is wages for Maguire. The club has to capitalize on interest because Phil Jones is a prolific example of not knowing when to cut your losses. The most ideal scenario would be those outgoings and a striker alongside new goalkeeper. The club sale is perhaps the biggest development of any player arrival that would be a significant boost heading into the new season.

sparx99

Onana, Mount and Hojlund would be an interesting window if that's who we end up getting.
If those three come in at the rumoured fees as well then it would be great business.

Onana - £43m
Mount - £55m
Hojlund - £35m

Total - £143m plus a few add ons so circa £150m.

If Maguire, Fred, Henderson and a few others move on then there could well be enough to add a couple of others such as the young Benfica midfielder or a younger centre back.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

However, Onana is the only real transformative signing in that trio that I can truly make sense of in terms of a clear style that EtH wants to employ.

Hojlund is a risk, but I get it when Osimhen and Kane are seemingly completely unattainable, and every other striker on the market is of similar profile in terms of being relatively young, inexperienced and likely overpriced.

Mount I'm surprised about, but clearly EtH sees something there to have prioritised him.

We need to get some players moving the other way though. Henderson, Maguire, van de Beek, Fred or McTominay, Elanga for starters. Bailly and Telles as well.
Kane is still doable if we had ambitious, hungry owners. I truly believe that.

It’s just that after decades of neglectful, woeful, cowardly ownership fans accept the crappest, least inspiring outcomes with everything. So the ‘well Levy said he’s not for sale’ line gets trotted out, while Bayern bid for him.

Levy would sell for the right price and Kane wants Utd.

A deal with Martial, Sancho, Maguire plus 70m would do it and would also get Sancho’s wages out of the club.

These are Spurs level players and it’s a good deal for all concerned.

Or just a feck off cash bid would do it.

If you wanna compete for the big prizes you gotta pay the big prices (for players that are worth it!).