Summer Transfer Window

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I swear Dembele was already at PSG before.

Got no idea who plays for who these days.

whitbyviking

You mean if ETH puts him in the team and maintains the exact same system he uses for Casemiro then our performances might nosedive?

I can't imagine for one minute that ETH, in fact any top coach, would put a player who is not a direct replacement for another into the team and expect them to do the exact same job. They will adjust in other ways.

mikeyt

6/10

Onana is great and was much needed

Hojlund has the potential to be great but right now he's far from the finished product.

Mount was pointless imo and that money should've been used elsewhere.
Completely agree with this, I think Hojlund may prove to be a great buy in years to come but Mount, for me, was pointless and not a signing we really needed. Having said that if we replace Maguire and Fred with Pavard / Tobido and Amrabat it would prove a really good window.

If that's all we do this summer we're going to need Amad and Hannibal to step up. I don't see us signing another forward as I have a feeling MG will be brought back at some point.

Hit It

I’d probably wait till some football was played before declaring it a 10/10 window. How do we know mount, onana and hoijlund will be a guaranteed success? And any further signings for that matter ..
Does seem logical. Creates a debate i guess but ultimately people are just eager to see them play competitively and to see if there crystal ball is working properly.

Redstain

6/10

Onana is great and was much needed

Hojlund has the potential to be great but right now he's far from the finished product.

Mount was pointless imo and that money should've been used elsewhere.
I agree however for me it's a 5/10 window. The brief from journalists around the club was that the club wanted Kolo-Muani but ETH wanted Hojlund on the premise of what he can add with his development in the future. That tells me that next season Rashford will be the out and out centre forward for most of the campaign.

One of the biggest issues last season was goal conversions. Before the summer started United should have identified weaknesses by priority and the wide players were abysmal with their overall contribution. A right back, right winger and striker priority positions. The attacking dynamic would have changed drastically if more productivity was coming from the right side of the field last season. United had one of the worst goal totals out of the top six. I don't think much has been done to change this issue and it's one that the manager has commented on so there's awareness.

The hope is that the new system shape will gratify Mount / Bruno more opperunity to drift into threatening positions because as it stands if Rashford doesn't get a high goal ratio where are the goals coming from ? Not expecting Sancho or Antony to all of a sudden score double digits each.

BorisManUtd

I have my concerns over Mount. Onana, Todibo/Pavard, Amrabat, Hojlund should be good for us though.

Someone

Something
I think we've bought well but I don't know if we've addressed the lack of goals issue. It was our biggest problem last season but we didn't prioritize it in the summer early enough to have someone ready at the beginning of the season.

A bit unfair to expect Hojlund to be the difference in his first season, and while I'm very happy with this signing, I think we needed one more.

Depending on how the rest of the summer goas, it could be a 7/10 for me.

Woziak

I think we've bought well but I don't know if we've addressed the lack of goals issue. It was our biggest problem last season but we didn't prioritize it in the summer early enough to have someone ready at the beginning of the season.

A bit unfair to expect Hojlund to be the difference in his first season, and while I'm very happy with this signing, I think we needed one more.

Depending on how the rest of the summer goas, it could be a 7/10 for me.
Definitely need another striker urgently for it to be a 7/10 window

Onerealunited

Update (players in bold reflect updates since last update)

Confirmed departures to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Phil Jones (31): Released. Future unknown
  2. Ethan Galbraith (22): Released. Signed for Leyton Orient (League One)
  3. Jack Butland (30): End of loan. Signed for Rangers FC (Premiership)
  4. Bernard Di’Shon (22): Released. Signed for Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)
  5. Axel Tuanzebe (25): Released. Future unknown
  6. Zidane Iqbal (20): Sold. Continues at FC Utrecht (Eredivisie). Fee of €1.0m
  7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Fee of €0.9m
  8. Wout Weghorst (30): End of loan. Signed for Hoffenheim (Bundesliga)
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Signed for Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga)
  10. David de Gea (32): Released. Future unknown
  11. Charlie Savage (20): Sold. Continues at FC Reading (League One). Fee undisclosed
  12. Alex Telles (30): Sold. Continues at Al-Nassr (Saudi Pro League). Fee of €4.6m
  13. Anthony Elanga (21): Sold. Continues at Nottingham Forrest (Premier League). Fee of €17.5m
  14. Nathan Bishop (23): Sold. Continues at Sunderland (Championship). Fee undisclosed
  15. Fred (30): Sold. Continues at Fenerbahce (Süper Lig). Fee of €10m
Total income: €34.0m

Confirmed acquisitions to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Mason Mount (24). Fee of €64.2m
  2. Andre Onana (27): Fee of €52.5m
  3. Rasmus Højlund (20): Fee of €75.0m
Total cost: €191.70m

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Bit rubbish if you ask me. None of these new signings scream "title push"

Cathy Ferguson

I agree however for me it's a 5/10 window. The brief from journalists around the club was that the club wanted Kolo-Muani but ETH wanted Hojlund on the premise of what he can add with his development in the future. That tells me that next season Rashford will be the out and out centre forward for most of the campaign.

One of the biggest issues last season was goal conversions. Before the summer started United should have identified weaknesses by priority and the wide players were abysmal with their overall contribution. A right back, right winger and striker priority positions. The attacking dynamic would have changed drastically if more productivity was coming from the right side of the field last season. United had one of the worst goal totals out of the top six. I don't think much has been done to change this issue and it's one that the manager has commented on so there's awareness.

The hope is that the new system shape will gratify Mount / Bruno more opperunity to drift into threatening positions because as it stands if Rashford doesn't get a high goal ratio where are the goals coming from ? Not expecting Sancho or Antony to all of a sudden score double digits each.
Agreed on our poor RW. ETH spent big on Antony so another winger this season was never going to happen. Antony and Sancho must improve immensely if we are to challenge for the title. Not very likely to happen. Garnacho on the other hand might have a great season.

George The Best

Agreed. Mount does not make much sense and Höjlund might take a season or two to fullfill his potential. 6/10 so far, please prove me wrong.
i think people are seriously underestimating Mount. I can see a number of MOTM appearances from him. Was Chelsea’s best player for a couple of years. Think he may have his mojo back with the transfer to us - does seem very happy to be here. Too early to judge but it starts to get serious from Monday night, that’s when I’ll start to judge if he can cut it here.

George The Best

Agreed on our poor RW. ETH spent big on Antony so another winger this season was never going to happen. Antony and Sancho must improve immensely if we are to challenge for the title. Not very likely to happen. Garnacho on the other hand might have a great season.
We are not challenging for the title this season imo. A good run in CL and another top 4 position in the league is what i think we have to achieve. Will take another 2/3 transfer windows to have us challenging for top spot - depending on who owns us during that time.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think Antony is going to be able to show off more of what he can do and can be this year, especially with the changes at ST. He already has a good connection with Rashford and maybe Hojlund can become his new Haller. It's not easy to justify your price tag in your first year when you also have to deal with Weghorst being your main partner. Us trying to be better on our opponents half by bringing in Mount also helps if it works(!). We'll have to wait and see. Sancho we can agree on, think he's a lost cause at this point.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If we start the season with Lindelof, McTominey and Martial as our immediate backups, top 4 is at serious risk. We have no chance of a title challenge.

The club needs to do everything possible to get a fee for Maguire and McTominey and try to squeeze in a defender and a midfielder before the window closes.

You look at Newcastle today and they have Barnes and Wilson coming off the bench. Our best, and only, number 9 is a 20 year old kid with half a season of top level football.

A title challenge is a complete pipe dream.

BorisManUtd

I don't think it's been rubbish but I don't have the feeling we have enough for title push either. And with City and Arsenal, Liverpool potentially having a good season again, Newcastle + Chelsea and Spurs (them as outsiders) even top 4 is questionable.

Only way I can see us pushing for title is if all the signings click quickly and one of Antony/Sancho has a brilliant season (with Rashford also having at least as good a season as last one).

Plastic Evra

Even with Pavard and an additional CM, I don't see a title contender unless, as said just above, the forwards just fire all cylinders. Need at least one more transfer window for a complete squad (one recruit per line except GK)... Admittedly it's an issue because that might also be when the window start closing for a few key players (Casemiro ?).

Realistically, if the club gets a CL qualification without struggling, this will have been a good season.

Todd

If we start the season with Lindelof, McTominey and Martial as our immediate backups, top 4 is at serious risk. We have no chance of a title challenge.

The club needs to do everything possible to get a fee for Maguire and McTominey and try to squeeze in a defender and a midfielder before the window closes.

You look at Newcastle today and they have Barnes and Wilson coming off the bench. Our best, and only, number 9 is a 20 year old kid with half a season of top level football.

A title challenge is a complete pipe dream.
Once it became clear that we were shopping at the Mount and Hojlund level instead of the Bellingham and Kane level, any delusions of challenging for the title was out the window. I think the manager is doing the best he can with the budget he has.

As is always the case, our ability to stay fit is going to make or break our season. If key players like Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Bruno, and Rashford stay fit and available, I think we'll be okay for 3rd or 4th.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So, if no decision about Greenwood is taken after this week, isn't it better to loan him out to a foreign league? I don't think it will be good for him to remain in England, the cloud of suspicious will be darker.
Loaning him out to a top spanish/french/italian/portuguese top 6 club would be the best for both parties, IMHO.

Onerealunited

Update (players in bold reflect updates since last update)

Confirmed departures to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Phil Jones (31): Released. Future unknown
  2. Ethan Galbraith (22): Released. Signed for Leyton Orient (League One)
  3. Jack Butland (30): End of loan. Signed for Rangers FC (Premiership)
  4. Bernard Di’Shon (22): Released. Signed for Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)
  5. Axel Tuanzebe (25): Released. Future unknown
  6. Zidane Iqbal (20): Sold. Continues at FC Utrecht (Eredivisie). Fee of €1.0m
  7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Fee of €0.9m
  8. Wout Weghorst (30): End of loan. Signed for Hoffenheim (Bundesliga)
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Signed for Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga)
  10. David de Gea (32): Released. Future unknown
  11. Charlie Savage (20): Sold. Continues at FC Reading (League One). Fee undisclosed
  12. Alex Telles (30): Sold. Continues at Al-Nassr (Saudi Pro League). Fee of €4.6m
  13. Anthony Elanga (21): Sold. Continues at Nottingham Forrest (Premier League). Fee of €17.5m
  14. Nathan Bishop (23): Sold. Continues at Sunderland (Championship). Fee undisclosed
  15. Fred (30): Sold. Continues at Fenerbahce (Süper Lig). Fee of €9.7m
  16. Matej Kovar (23): Sold. Continues at Leverkusen (Bundesliga). Fee of €5.0m
Total income: €38.7m

Confirmed acquisitions to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Mason Mount (24). Fee of €64.2m
  2. Andre Onana (27): Fee of €52.5m
  3. Rasmus Højlund (20): Fee of €75.0m
Total cost: €191.70m

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've barely done enough to stand still, let alone improve on last season.

Onerealunited

Week 33
Update on players that was rumored away last week or where a decision on their future was pending.
  1. Henderson (26) - Nottingham interest cooled down. Was on the bench for the Wolves game
  2. Kovar (23) - SOLD
  3. Maguire (30) - latest rumors suggest that he stays as United won’t accept pay to let him off
  4. Bailly (29) - Besiktas is looking at other targets as they could not agree with United on his release
  5. Evans (35)
  6. Mengi (21)
  7. Williams (22)
  8. Fernandez (20)
  9. Fred (30) - SOLD
  10. McTominay (26)
  11. VdB (26) - Sociedad interest cooled off, as they are looking at another target on permanent basis
  12. Pellistri (21)
  13. Greenwood (21) - decision delayed to a later unknown date
  14. Martial (27)

Betson

Hopefully something will happen late on as it has been an underwhelming transfer window so far , minimal improvement while some of our rivals look to have had good windows.

bosskeano

At one point it looked like this would be a potential brilliant window for bringing in quality and getting rid of shit...

as of right now i'd say this window has been a bit of a disaster on both fronts especially when you see clubs around us strengthening and adding proper depth

Redstain

At one point it looked like this would be a potential brilliant window for bringing in quality and getting rid of shit...

as of right now i'd say this window has been a bit of a disaster on both fronts especially when you see clubs around us strengthening and adding proper depth
I had this a 5/10 window long before the Wolves fixture. A window is only relevant on the basis of what you took from the previous season.

Last year the team needed an Eriksen replacement by way of influence not position. The wide players needed additional reinforcement, it was the most underperforming area of the entire team to the extent that one man's contribution (Rashford) dragged the club into top four. The wide areas compounded the goal scoring issue with no striker, which to me suggests even with a decent striker theirs still going to be a goal deficit.

As it stands Onana is the only signing who is definitively an upgrade on paper and credibility. Hojlund is definitely an improvement over Weghorst but it remains to be seen what he's contribution levels are going to resemble. We only have hope he hits the ground running, he might need time but unfortunately the squad is not in any decent shape to give him that.

If United sign a younger understudy for Casemiro then I'll give it a 7/10 window because that's two weaknesses of the team addressed. His dismissal for any reason be it injury or suspension will bring this team to top 8 performances.

nickm

Financial Fair Play is clipping our wings. It's a top 4 consolidation push and a step by step rebuild, Mount is the giveaway, he is the sort of player you sign when you want to be more consistent, not more flashy. Fans have to be realistic this season. Next season should be the title push.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Week 33
Update on players that was rumored away last week or where a decision on their future was pending.
  1. Henderson (26) - Nottingham interest cooled down. Was on the bench for the Wolves game
  2. Kovar (23) - SOLD
  3. Maguire (30) - latest rumors suggest that he stays as United won’t accept pay to let him off
  4. Bailly (29) - Besiktas is looking at other targets as they could not agree with United on his release
  5. Evans (35)
  6. Mengi (21)
  7. Williams (22)
  8. Fernandez (20)
  9. Fred (30) - SOLD
  10. McTominay (26)
  11. VdB (26) - Sociedad interest cooled off, as they are looking at another target on permanent basis
  12. Pellistri (21)
  13. Greenwood (21) - decision delayed to a later unknown date
  14. Martial (27)
An Awful lot of cooling off going on due to players on either high wages or injury lists. Looks like we have to stick for now.

Todd

Financial Fair Play is clipping our wings. It's a top 4 consolidation push and a step by step rebuild, Mount is the giveaway, he is the sort of player you sign when you want to be more consistent, not more flashy. Fans have to be realistic this season. Next season should be the title push.
I'm curious, what kind of transfer business between now and next season puts us in a legitimate battle for the title?

Godfather

That's cute

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not really. We spent near 200 mil euros this summer. And could have got 80-100 mil from sales.