Sunday Supplement

Irwin

I never normally watch this but I was interested in what the papers and journalists were saying about the CL final. I had to stop watching after 10 minutes such was the frequency of absolute bollocks being spouted.

Apparently the final highlighted how inept English football (premiership not national team) is in comparison to the Spanish league.

According to chief football correspondent Neil Ashton, we tried to stifle the game because we left out our most skillful players Nani & Berbatov.

Apparently we suffocated the game against Chelsea in the CL by playing Rooney up front on his own and packing the midfield (?!?).

I had to stop watching a that point. I thought that show was supposed to have decent analysis, although I might be confusing that with goals on sunday?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
You know, as much as it surprised me, a lot of what Oliver Holt has said in the Mirror lately, both about the final and Giggsy's recent troubles, has been very kind.

Ixion

I quite like Sunday Supplement to be honest, they get lots of journalists on there I don't agree with but its usually fairly balanced, decent tv for a sunday morning.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sam Wallace and Martin Samuel are the only two I've ever seen on there and not wanted to throw the remote at.

Longsden_7

Patrick Barclay is the most vitriolic ABU in the media. Absolute cnut of a human.

Donkey's Ears

Holt can be ok.

Wallace, Samuel, Holt and possibly Hayward are ok.

The rest are complete morons with Barclay the most nakedly ABU and Rob Beasley the most moronic. Watching him in action embodies everything that is wrong with the English game.

Northcroft is ok too no?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Patrick Barclay is the most vitriolic ABU in the media. Absolute cnut of a human.
Yes, and I'll give Ollie Holt a temporary place in the ranks of those who I didn't want to throw the remote at for when he was tearing into Barclay over the Rooney swearing incident. That was brilliant.

Irwin

I thought the analysis on MOTD was bad but at least most of what is said is true, even if it's blindingly obvious.

Paul Smith's evidence for Fergie fecking up tactically was by contrasting our team against Chelsea with our team against Barcelona even though with the exception of Fabio for Rafael we played the exact same fecking lineup.

It's just infuriating, how are they allowed to just guess or bluff their way through without anyone pulling them up on it.

mufcwarm92

I really like this show. The Custis brothers' rare appearances are a bit of a dampener, but it's a good show nonetheless.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Glad to see Martin Samuel take issue with Kevin Davies dirtiness this morning. As he said its a nonsense to say he's "not that kind of player". Nonsense. I'm glad the press pack are starting to have the fog cleared from their eyes on this centre forward version of "Razor" Ruddock.

Legendz

No, sadly I missed Picard. What did he say? Were we gonna get found out?
I didn't see it, but it probably went something like this:

Ferdinand shouldn't play, he's terrible and way past it.

SAF criticising the refs is terrible and he should get a 10 game ban, it's ok when Dalglish does it.

Josh Mceachran should start, he's the best young player ever, will destroy our midfield by himself and is better than every player United have.

Blah blah more self richeous rubbish and elitism.

That's how it usually goes, anyway.

Man-United

Oh Paddy, he wanted Rooney banned for 6 games after the swearing and also Fergie banned for 12 games after the Atkinson attack.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I watched it after a long time and remembered why I don't watch it.

Barclay basically said Fergie was a great manager but a bad human being. This was because Fergie had the temerity to question the press' agenda over the De Gea stories. He laid a personal attack SAF. Totally unnecessary.

Barclay ofcourse is in noway bitter that Fergie didn't cooperate with his book on Fergie. :rolleyes:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Think it’s a great show. I don’t really care if people criticise the club or Fergie. If it’s good TV I will watch it, and this show is

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Barclay was getting ridiculed by the other journalists at the end, that's how he was in regards to Ferguson.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
The one from yesterday was ridiculous. Apparently Capello has never picked young players. They then doubled back on that 45 seconds later and said that he did but only out of necessity, but then continued to insist for the rest of the show that he never picked young players.

Henry Winter is such a spunk bucket.

acnumber9

They also sat and said how they were all much more optimistic about next summer than they were at the World Cup. I don't recall them being too pessimistic going into South Africa. They really do think the public are all idiots.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
The one from yesterday was ridiculous. Apparently Capello has never picked young players. They then doubled back on that 45 seconds later and said that he did but only out of necessity, but then continued to insist for the rest of the show that he never picked young players.

Henry Winter is such a spunk bucket.
I kind of agree with them, Cappello has never shown a progressive approach when managing England like how the Germans showed in the World Cup or Sir Alex shows almost every few years. It takes balls to play talented young kids over proven substandard players. But that's what happens when you have a really old manager with a dead-end job, he is almost certainly going to try and play it safe instead of trying to do something special and create a legacy.

What is the point of giving debut's to 28 year old's when you have potentially better players in your U21's. Why don't give the likes of Jones, Oxdale, Cleverley, McEachran, Welbeck, etc. a proper chance in some competitive fixtures. England field safe substandard players in their late 20's and expect the youth to develop without the necessary exposure to international football.

Also the likes of Lampard (although I admit he is a great player) have gotten a lot of chance to do something for England, but now both parties need to cut their losses and move on. While players like Barry (who are just sub standard) have been shown to be out of depth at the international stage.

I hope Cappello fields out the following line-up in a competitive match. England need a manager with a progressive approach.

Hart

Smalling, Terry, Jones, Baines

Cleverley/Parker Wilshere

Gerrard

Oxdale/Welbeck Rooney Young​

It was surreal - they ridiculously inflated their own importance suggesting that it was the media that caused the pressure on players and hence underperformance in world cup 2010. Nothing to do with a lot of substandard players and a shit manager then?
Agreed on the substandard players part, but Cappello is not a shit manager.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
McEachran has played 82 minutes of football so far this season, only half an hour of which has come in the league, and Chamberlain has played three games (2 starts).

The other players you mentioned have been called up.

Here is a list of players under the age of 23 at time of debut that he's given their first cap

Joe Hart
Adam Johnson
Gabriel Agbonlahor
James Milner
Tom Huddlestone
Kieran Gibbs
Jack Wilshere
Danny Welbeck
Chris Smalling
Phil Jones
Jordan Henderson
Andy Carroll

Kyle Walker, Scott Loach, Frank Fielding and Tom Cleverley have been called up but not got on the pitch yet. In terms of players who should have been capped at some point but haven't been who are of that age the only glaring omissions are Martin Kelly and Daniel Sturridge. Perhaps Josh McEachran around October/November last year if you're being generous.

Of those seven were in the most recent squad (Hart, Walker, Jones, Carroll, Welbeck, Milner and Johnson). Cleverley was promised a place in the squad by Capello prior to his injury, Agbonlahor turned down his callup because he was having surgery on his back, and Wilshere would also have been picked if fit. All young players that Capello has brought through during his time as manager.

The issue with international football is that you can't just say oh yeah give the young lads a chance and throw them in as with club football - of the above players the only ones who are likely to play most weeks are Joe Hart, Jack Wilshere, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Danny Welbeck, and Tom Cleverley. The rest have been called up as the result of good form but have been left out of subsequent squads. As manager his ability to pick his team is dependent on the players in question being given time by their club managers, which isn't always the case.

Further to that when you try to do something like phasing out Lampard you get the 'England club' of journos like Henry fecking Winter and Ian cnut splashing McGarry coming out and going on about how old Lampsy is being disrespected by Capello and shouldn't be written off.

I'm saying his hands are tied to some extent.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
McEachran has played 82 minutes of football so far this season, only half an hour of which has come in the league, and Chamberlain has played three games (2 starts).

The other players you mentioned have been called up.

Here is a list of players under the age of 23 at time of debut that he's given their first cap

Joe Hart
Adam Johnson
Gabriel Agbonlahor
James Milner
Tom Huddlestone
Kieran Gibbs
Jack Wilshere
Danny Welbeck
Chris Smalling
Phil Jones
Jordan Henderson
Andy Carroll

Kyle Walker, Scott Loach, Frank Fielding and Tom Cleverley have been called up but not got on the pitch yet. In terms of players who should have been capped at some point but haven't been who are of that age the only glaring omissions are Martin Kelly and Daniel Sturridge. Perhaps Josh McEachran around October/November last year if you're being generous.

Of those seven were in the most recent squad (Hart, Walker, Jones, Carroll, Welbeck, Milner and Johnson). Cleverley was promised a place in the squad by Capello prior to his injury, Agbonlahor turned down his callup because he was having surgery on his back, and Wilshere would also have been picked if fit. All young players that Capello has brought through during his time as manager.

The issue with international football is that you can't just say oh yeah give the young lads a chance and throw them in as with club football - of the above players the only ones who are likely to play most weeks are Joe Hart, Jack Wilshere, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Danny Welbeck, and Tom Cleverley. The rest have been called up as the result of good form but have been left out of subsequent squads. As manager his ability to pick his team is dependent on the players in question being given time by their club managers, which isn't always the case.

Further to that when you try to do something like phasing out Lampard you get the 'England club' of journos like Henry fecking Winter and Ian cnut splashing McGarry coming out and going on about how old Lampsy is being disrespected by Capello and shouldn't be written off.

I'm saying his hands are tied to some extent.
That's the problem, as soon as an England manager starts listening to the media that his him fecked. And the problem is more often than not all of them eventually do.

And most of the young players you mentioned got nominal apps for England in competitive fixtures. He pretty much relied on the old heads for most of the qualifying games.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I listened to it this morning, still wasn't as bad as ANY Barclay episode.

misterredmist

I gave it a wide berth seeing that it would be about England.

The Press will soon big England up for the Euro's once we've won a friendly against a team who play on a part time basis, from a Nation with a population of 64.

I don't blame Capello, he was offered the job, and took it - and let's face it, he's no older than the likes of Del Bosque or Lippi. I rather looked at it that, when we got rid of Schteve , we had to get a top manager, to show the truth.

And Capello has shown the truth, even with a good Manager, England are sh*te at football. We'll always have something to blame though, rather than stare the truth in the face that we cannot maintain possession of the ball for long enough, even against the "weaker" sides.

It made me laugh when I heard that the players did not like being cooped up in their hide-out in ZA for the World Cup - so, that's why we were crap ?

EXCUSES , followed by more EXCUSES !!!!!!

Brophs

The One and Only
The presenter, Brian Woolnough, died this morning. He seemed a decent bloke.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He did seem nice, quite shocked at this but I had noticed he was no longer presenting the show.

vanthaman

Winner
3 months to the day Danny Fullbrook died, been a sad few months for the daily star,

RIP Wooly

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Wow, hard to believe. Didn't always agree with him, but he was good on the show, which I used to enjoy.