Sunday Times: Chelsea have been put up for sale

Cloud7

I have $5 in the collective bid if the Caf is interested in getting in on this.

Affirmation

Well Duncan Castles had already discussed in detail about this happening a while back on the "Transfer Window Podcast". I think this is a positive development if you are a Chelsea fan and if Jim Radcliffe is indeed the eventual buyer. He has large financial resources and is local to the club as well as a season ticket holder I think. It's gonna be interesting to see what actually happens though that's for sure.

Reactions: golden_blunder

el3mel

Hopefully not a new owner who is also willing to splash the cash. Life in Premier League would be like hell if that happens.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Hopefully not a new owner who is also willing to splash the cash. Life in Premier League would be like hell if that happens.
Which kind of owner is a good owner?
Glazers, Kroenke, Ashley, Venky, Dildo Brothers, Tottenham's?
I imagine Liverpool owner is the most ideal.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I imagine Liverpool owner is the most ideal.
Prior to this season there were complaints that the owners were barely investing in the club. City's are currently the best.

Interesting, i wonder why Abramhovich wants out?
Didn't Abramovich have Visa problems and was getting pissed off because of it?

Mirror says a club source denies it is for sale.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why the praise for Liverpool's owners? They were heavily criticized up until recently.

el3mel

I wouldn't call owners who can't hold on to their best players and only invest after big sales "ideal".
No English club can resist Barca or Madrid when they come knocking on the door. Almost all players consider moving to La Liga giants as the peak of their career and pinnacle of football.

The point that they succeed in investing post Coutinho and now have a far better team than when Coutinho was around is a point for them. We all know what we did to replace Ronaldo.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
City's owners are by far the best. I think people are being influenced by our spending this summer, but before that our spending wasn't great unless a big player was sold.

DRM

How much did abramavic buy them for back in 2003?

FujiVice

City's owners are by far the best. I think people are being influenced by our spending this summer, but before that our spending wasn't great unless a big player was sold.
I'd rather lose the league every year until I'm a 80 year old man than support a team owned by that lot.

RedFish

Wow, big news. The end of an era for Chelsea is nigh, then. Should Chelsea fans be worried? I think being Roman's plaything, has been much to their advantage, who knows what the new owners will be like?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Wow, big news. The end of an era for Chelsea is nigh, then. Should Chelsea fans be worried? I think being Roman's plaything, has been much to their advantage, who knows what the new owners will be like?
Depends on how you look at it. Should they worry about no longer competing for top honours consistently? Maybe, but when all's said & done, they'll still be miles better off than before RA bought the club, even if things settle down a bit.

I'd love to see them get a Kroenke.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Depends on who buys them, if it's investors in it to make money like ours or Liverpool's then the change will be relatively small, but if the new owner buys for pleasure, and can afford 2 billion, they might well have another billion for team development. The existing big clubs brought in FFP to defend themselves from any more of that, but money talks and I've no faith in it whatsoever.

RedFish

Depends on how you look at it. Should they worry about no longer competing for top honours consistently? Maybe, but when all's said & done, they'll still be miles better off than before RA bought the club, even if things settle down a bit.

I'd love to see them get a Kroenke.
I woinder how much they've invested their money in the last 15 years, and what kind of infrastructure they've built up at the club. It should be robust enough to absorb RA leaving.I'd be worried if I was a fan, wondering if they are going to be changing from perennial title challengers to a top 6 faceless, vanilla club, like Tottenham (never miss a chance for a dig). Interesting times.

Last edited:

Neo_Mufc

I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent over a billion to be refused entry into the Country that I invested in.

On a side note. How much more will the PL and football clubs in general become valuable assets to these wealthy men.

Are we going to end up with 20 multi billionaire owners just going at it with FM-esque transfer windows.

Silver

No English club can resist Barca or Madrid when they come knocking on the door. Almost all players consider moving to La Liga giants as the peak of their career and pinnacle of football.

The point that they succeed in investing post Coutinho and now have a far better team than when Coutinho was around is a point for them. We all know what we did to replace Ronaldo.
Yeah players can consider moving to Barca or Real but if the club is serious about winning they will do everything to keep their best players. Liverpool have consistently sold their best players - Alonso, Torres, Suarez, Coutinho and they couldn't even get Can to sign a new contract.

And you really can't say judge this post Coutinho team to be far better until we actually see what the team wins at the end of the season. After Ronaldo we were still winning trophies and championships so that doesn't really hold up.

You can't really hail Liverpool owners as the ideal owners based on the season. And the point is that they ONLY invest after a big sale and have consistently failed to retain their best players. They've invested before and failed to succeed and they've invested now but we can't say they've been successful till the end of the season.

The point is that Liverpool owners would be ideal owners if they didn't always sell their best players - that's not ideal. Imagine how much better their team would have been if they had managed to keep a hold of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

Mindhunter

Chelsea FC was Roman's turn towards legitimacy in the western countries. He spent billions funding the club, and took personal interest on the project. It was pretty clear when England refused to give him a visa, post the Skripal poisoning business, that he would lose interest.

I believe Chelsea FC should be fine. They have developed their infrastructure and fan-base over the last few years and that should be able to sustain them and keep them moderately competitive.

In the current scenario, I don't believe anybody except Man City can claim to be favorites so its won't be much of a loss either way.

el3mel

Yeah players can consider moving to Barca or Real but if the club is serious about winning they will do everything to keep their best players. Liverpool have consistently sold their best players - Alonso, Torres, Suarez, Coutinho and they couldn't even get Can to sign a new contract.

And you really can't say judge this post Coutinho team to be far better until we actually see what the team wins at the end of the season. After Ronaldo we were still winning trophies and championships so that doesn't really hold up.

You can't really hail Liverpool owners as the ideal owners based on the season. And the point is that they ONLY invest after a big sale and have consistently failed to retain their best players. They've invested before and failed to succeed and they've invested now but we can't say they've been successful till the end of the season.

The point is that Liverpool owners would be ideal owners if they didn't always sell their best players - that's not ideal. Imagine how much better their team would have been if they had managed to keep a hold of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.
How many players in the league the La Liga giants knocked on their doors and didn't end up leaving ? The only one I remember is De Gea and that was due to a freak accident, otherwise we were very willing to sell and get Navas instead of him. Only the fax machine thing prevented that. All other top players in the league which Barca or Madrid wanted to get, they end up getting him. It's inevitable imo. Best thing is to make as much use of the money you get from this. They didn't when they sold Suarez but did well when they sold Coutinho. We didn't when we sold Ronaldo either.

They are a better team now than when Coutinho was around. They have better defense, better midfield, great attack and good GK. They reached CL finap after he left and look like a candidate for the league this year for the first time since Suarez freak season.

I'm not the one who said they are the ideal owners. City are the best because they can splash the cash without fearing of tomorrow, but Liverpool's board is second currently imo. Last 2 seasons they changed their policy and are doing well on th market. They look like they had a plan for the team in general. The way they replaced Coutinho was great and a point in their favor not the opposite.

Arsenal's is the worst, us, Levy and Roman are average at best currently.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Story is nonsense. IMO

I could potentially see another billionaire coming in and throwing his money behind the club along with Roman, but not a straight up sale of his entire stake

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
On the other hand, if the story had an ounce of truth. It isnt your everyday person who could afford to buy us for 2bn.

It would be a takeover of PSG / Man City size