Sunday's gossip

lysglimt

Scout
TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester United have wrapped up the signing of Sporting Lisbon's 21-year-old midfielder William Carvalho, and Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos, 24, is next on the list.

Full story: Metro
It's Always nice when they reveal our new signing without a single piece of proof or source :)

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Manchester United need a midfielder, Carvalho is a midfielder that's willing to move, manager says we're already working on some things and looking forward to getting some business done before the world cup and tabloids come up with a story saying we signed Carvalho. Doesn't sound so convincing when you put it like that but most likely that's really what there is to it.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Manchester United need a midfielder, Carvalho is a midfielder that's willing to move, manager says we're already working on some things and looking forward to getting some business done before the world cup and tabloids come up with a story saying we signed Carvalho. Doesn't sound so convincing when you put it like that but most likely that's really what there is to it.
Spoil sport :(

Gunnar

theres only one place to live ''MANCHESTER''
Manchester United are set to beat Chelsea to the signing of Southampton left-back Luke Shaw. The 18-year-old is being courted by both clubs but is now heading to Old Trafford in a busy summer that could also include a trip to the World Cup.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Arsenal have secured the signing of striker Josip Drmic, 21, from Nuremberg to bolster their frontline for next season. The Switzerland international, rated at £8m, has scored almost half of his team's goals in the Bundesliga this season.

Switzerland international Josip Drmic joined Nuremberg from FC Zurich last summer

Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku, 20, will be allowed to quit Chelsea and join loan club Everton this summer - but only if Jose Mourinho lands midfielder Ross Barkley, 20, in return.

Full story: Sunday People

Everton are considering a £10.5m move for QPR's France striker Loic Remy, 27, after being told it will cost them £20m to prise Lukaku from Stamford Bridge.

Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole, 33, has been offered an £8m two-year deal to join Real Madrid in the summer.

Full story: The Sun

Lazio midfielder Antonio Candreva, 27, is being monitored by Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Full story: Sunday Express

Swansea want to sign Netherlands international Jonathan de Guzman on a permanent basis. The 26-year-old midfielder is nearing the end of his second season on loan from Villarreal and scored twice as the Swans secured a vital win over Norwich on Saturday.

Full story: South Wales Evening Post

Newcastle are favourites to sign unsettled Manchester City defender Micah Richards, 25, who has made just nine appearances under boss Manuel Pellegrini this season.

Full story: Sunday Star

OTHER GOSSIP
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, 27, could become the first £100m man, according to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers.

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson will play no part in deciding successor David Moyes's future as at Old Trafford.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Luis Suarez has scored 28 goals in the Premier League for Liverpool this season

United are set to see player-coach Ryan Giggs, 40, quit the club in the summer while there are doubts over Phil Neville's long-term future as first-team coach.

Ex-Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn says he believes the Black Cats can still avoid relegation, but that they must beat West Ham on Monday evening.

Full story: Sunday Times

Arsenal have earmarked Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp and Roberto Martinez of Everton as possible replacements should Arsene Wenger quit Emirates Stadium.

Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, 21, says his future lies in London or at Atletico Madrid, where he is on loan, and not Real Madrid.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez claims midfielder Ross Barkley, 20, has the mental strength of Barcelona greats Xavi and Iniesta.

Retired defender Jamie Carragher says he played in better Liverpool teams than the one currently challenging for the Premier League title.

Full story: Sunday Times

AND FINALLY
Marseille midfielder Mathieu Valbuena was prevented from taking a corner in his side's Ligue 1 match at Sochaux when a fan threw a 'Betty Boop' doll out of the crowd, landing it perfectly in the quadrant.

Fulham boss Felix Magath has laughed off lookalike comparisons with Danger Mouse's cartoon sidekick Penfold.

Gunnar

Manchester City are interested in signing striker Luis Suarez, 27, from Premier League rivals Liverpool this summer.

Full story: Sunday Times (subscription required)

Chelsea's Belgium midfielder Eden Hazard, 23, will let his wife decide on a possible move to Paris St-Germain.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho wants a new striker, with a £35m move for Atletico Madrid's Diego Costa, 25, in the offing.

However, the Stamford Bridge side face competition from French Ligue 1 side Monaco for the Spain international's signature.

Romelu Lukaku has scored 13 goals in 26 appearances on loan for Everton

Tottenham have held talks with Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku, who is on loan at Everton, about a summer move, according to the 20-year-old's agent.

Full story: Talksport

Manchester United have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Borussia Dortmund's Germany midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, 23, after Barcelona were given a transfer ban.

Full story: Star on Sunday

Manchester City are close to signing defender Eliaquim Mangala, 23, and defensive midfielder Fernando, 26, from Porto for £41m as central defenders Joleon Lescott, 31, and Martin Demichelis, 33, prepare to leave.

Manchester United are plotting a summer move for Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, 24, but the price tag is expected to be at least £15m.

Tim Krul has made 117 appearances for Newcastle

Liverpool lead Manchester City and Monaco in the race for Real Madrid's 26-year-old left-back Fabio Coentrao.

Juventus are plotting a move for Newcastle keeper Tim Krul, 26, as a replacement for Gianluigi Buffon, 36.

OTHER GOSSIP
The head of the Qatar 2022 World Cup organising committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, says the country deserves to host the tournament despite the criticism it has received.

Full story: Talksport

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is drawing on his experience of climbing Kilimanjaro as he plots his side's Premier League title challenge.

Liverpool will offer captain Steven Gerrard, 33, a new two-year deal in the summer worth £130,000 a week.

Full story: Sun on Sunday (subscription required)

Former Reds striker Andy Carroll, 25, says he "never really got a chance" at Anfield and has told his former club to be "worried" about facing him when they play West Ham on Sunday.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is considering a move to buy Rangers and take them back to the Champions League.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger fears players are putting their careers at risk by taking legal drugs to combat hair loss.

AND FINALLY
Comedian Omid Djalili, a Chelsea fan, will play two sell-out gigs in order to raise money to help Hereford pay a £78,000 tax bill on Monday.

Full story: Observer

Chelsea defender David Luiz sent a signed shirt to Anderlecht lookalike Wout Faes.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Qatar deserves to hold the WC for what exactly? Paying the most in bribes?

Lance Uppercut

"Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is drawing on his experience of climbing Kilimanjaro as he plots his side's Premier League title challenge."

What? :lol:

lysglimt

Scout

LR7

I'd be over the moon if we were in for Morgan Schneiderlin. £15m would be a good price too. He isn't flashy or a big name but he's exactly what we need imo.

Mainoldo

I'd be over the moon if we were in for Morgan Schneiderlin. £15m would be a good price too. He isn't flashy or a big name but he's exactly what we need imo.
Na we need a centre midifelder with attacking purpose i.e. positive in possession not a destroyer of games. We need one of them too but Schneiderlin is not that guy.

LR7

Why would we go for him and carvalho (who seems to be in the bag)? Unless we plan to sell fellaini, which won't happen so soon.
I didn't say him and Carvalho. Carvalho is probably no more in the bag than Cesc or Baines were last season. We've still got it all to do and this signing, potentially at £15m makes more sense to me.

RedRover

Schneiderlin seems popular on here all of a sudden.

Not a bad player from what I've seen but Id like to think we'll be aiming for more established quality in central midfield.

I don't think we're in a position to be taking a punt on potential in the middle if the park this summer. The club need to persuade genuine top central midfielders we're a club worth coming to, rather than hoping players can step up.

Elsewhere I think we can get away with it - Shaw and Lallana fir example. With a top quality midfield alongside I think they could both shine.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Is he quick? We really need some legs in our midfield.
I wouldn't say quick but he covers a lot of ground. I don't know where you can check that stat but I've heard he averages one of the most gound covered per match across Europe. I think he is really well rounded. His main game is defensive and he near the top of the charts in tackles and interceptions. He is also quite good on the ball and he has scored 7 league goals since coming up which ain't too bad. He can play the defensive role or a box-to-box role and is good in a 3-man midfield if we go that way in matches.

I've said before that he'd be the perfect 3rd midfielder. So not in the best starting XI but you'd be comfortable with him coming in for an injury for an extended period or in a 3-man midfield in big matches. Him or James McCarthy are who I wanted last season. The Fellaini signing does throw a spanner into wear Schneiderlin would fit in as I guess they would be taking up the same role. Morgan is easily the better player for me though. I don't see us getting 2 top class midfielders so 1 with Morgan would be great imo.

LR7

Schneiderlin seems popular on here all of a sudden.

Not a bad player from what I've seen but Id like to think we'll be aiming for more established quality in central midfield.

I don't think we're in a position to be taking a punt on potential in the middle if the park this summer. The club need to persuade genuine top central midfielders we're a club worth coming to, rather than hoping players can step up.

Elsewhere I think we can get away with it - Shaw and Lallana fir example. With a top quality midfield alongside I think they could both shine.
Not really all on a sudden. I made similar points before the last two windows https://www.redcafe.net/threads/which-midfielder-should-moyes-buy.371809/page-30#post-14549567

I think he is quality personally. Not just a destroyer (Wanyama is more in that mould for them) he's a good passer too. Reads the game well, good positionally, is solid and looks to get the ball forward. He's unspectacular but I think he's what we need.

RedRover

Not really all on a sudden. I made similar points before the last two windows https://www.redcafe.net/threads/which-midfielder-should-moyes-buy.371809/page-30#post-14549567

I think he is quality personally. Not just a destroyer (Wanyama is more in that mould for them) he's a good passer too. Reads the game well, good positionally, is solid and looks to get the ball forward. He's unspectacular but I think he's what we need.
All depends the way we want to go.

Wenger constantly tries to buy potential rather than top quality and I think Arsenal suffer for it.

We need top quality, established players in a number of positions. In midfield we have no real top quality players in my opinion. He's another player who might make the step up - but he'll need time to settle in and prove it.

Fact is, sign him and that's a Kroos or Gundogan (or similar) not coming. We supposedly have big money and can therefore compete for the best.

For me if we buy possible top quality right now in central midfield it might not address the issues we have and we might find ourselves further behind.

Gunnar

Manchester United boss David Moyes is planning a move for Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana, 25, and defender Luke Shaw, 18, as he starts to rebuild at Old Trafford.

Adam Lallana has scored 60 goals in 261 appearances for Southampton

But Moyes is set to miss out on Atletico Madrid winger Koke, 22, who insists he has no interest in a move to Old Trafford.

Striker Demba Ba, 28, is determined to leave Chelsea in the summer.

Full story: People

Manchester City defender Micah Richards, 25, will not sign a new contract and wants to leave in the summer.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Toulouse defender Serge Aurier, 21, is on Arsenal's summer shopping list as a replacement for Bacary Sagna, 31, who is refusing to sign a new contract after his current deal runs out in June.

Liverpool's on-loan defender Aly Cissokho is attracting interest from AC Milan and Inter Milan, with the 26-year-old unlikely to have a future at parent club Valencia.

Full story: Inside Futbol

Romelu Lukaku is a summer target for Manchester City, who will offer the 20-year-old Chelsea striker - currently on loan at Everton - a five-year deal.

Full story: Sun On Sunday (subscription required)

OTHER GOSSIP
Liverpool will wear a '96' patch on their kit for their next three games in honour of the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Cesar Azpilicueta is the latest Chelsea player to be offered a new long-term deal. The 24-year-old defender is expected to sign a new contract before the World Cup.

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal, who has been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham, is waiting for Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to commit his future to the Gunners before deciding on his next move.

Full story: People

Jose Mourinho has guided Chelsea to the semi-finals of the Champions League

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is the most hated coach in European football because of his touchline and verbal antics, according to former Barcelona star and current Feyenoord manager Ronald Koeman.

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini believes Chelsea do not deserve to be Premier League champions because they do not score enough goals.

Oliver Giroud, 27, is set to be axed by Arsenal this summer. Manager Arsene Wenger no longer considers the France international part of his plans.

Full story: Sun On Sunday (subscription required)

Hull owner Assem Allam says that without foreign money fans would be unable to watch leading players like Wayne Rooney and Luis Suarez.

Full story: Mail On Sunday

GLOBAL GOSSIP
Manchester United target Toni Kroos, 24, has been urged by Jupp Heynckes, who coached the midfielder at Bayern Munich, to resist the temptation to force a transfer and commit his future to the Bundesliga champions.

Full story: Sport 1 (in German)

AND FINALLY
Woking's Conference Premier match against Alfreton Town was held up when the sprinklers came on during the first half at Kingfield.

buckooo1978

signing someone like Lalana reminds me of Liverpool in 91-93

buying flavour of the month players at smaller clubs (Saunders, Stewart, Rosenthal, Clough, Dicks) who disappointed in the end

its most probably bullshit as the one thing we don't need is an attacking midfield player

left back, centre back, centre midfielder, wide players or attackers with pace please Woodward

saivet

I wonder, in what kind of form Micah Richards is ? I somehow recall him being a good defender.
Hardly plays and injured most of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think City will have a accademy produce player in their first team squad if he goes.

Rednotdead

signing someone like Lalana reminds me of Liverpool in 91-93

buying flavour of the month players at smaller clubs (Saunders, Stewart, Rosenthal, Clough, Dicks) who disappointed in the end

its most probably bullshit as the one thing we don't need is an attacking midfield player

left back, centre back, centre midfielder, wide players or attackers with pace please Woodward
A good attacking midfield player is precisely what we've been lacking for 2 to 3 years now. Is that not why Scholes was brought out of retirement?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hardly plays and injured most of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think City will have a accademy produce player in their first team squad if he goes.
Ah bloody hell, the last thing we need is another injury prone defender. Cheers.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Isn't he one of those defenders that are good at last ditch tackles that if he was a decent defender would not have been needed?

saivet

Isn't he one of those defenders that are good at last ditch tackles that if he was a decent defender would not have been needed?
I don't know, I though he was quite good at one point, I remember he was ahead of Zabaleta for a while, got injured and never got back in the side. He's hardly played that I'm not sure anyone is quite sure how good he'll be now.