Sunday's gossip

bleedred

Talented as he is; he's fecking reckless at times and as Keane has pointed out,hasn't improved this season.

Do I want him to leave? No. It will leave us with another place to fill in defence yet somehow I can't help feeling that he needs to work on his game to move on.Like number of Utd players he's not operating at the level expected of a Utd player.
No judgement on players should be made on this season alone. It was a total collective feckup.

He is still young and even Evans was criticised a lot in here few years back. He has the potenial to come good and hopefully fulfills it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Used in a 3 man midfield to do most of the donkey work for the likes of Mata I think could work well, rather than be Young all over again I think he'd be more like Fletcher at his best

Gunnar

theres only one place to live ''MANCHESTER''
Juan Mata signed for Manchester United from Chelsea in January for £37.1m

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is ready to part with midfielder Juan Mata, 26, as Barcelona line up £40m bid.

Full story: Sunday Express

Arsenal are planning a bid for Schalke full-back Atsuto Uchida, 26, as Bacary Sagna, 31, edges closer to a Manchester City move.

Chelsea are keen on signing Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane, 21, as David Luiz's replacement.

Full story: Metro

AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli, 23, is set to return to the Barclays Premier League next season with Arsenal and Liverpool likely destinations.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Bayern Munich forward Arjen Robben, 30, has ruled out linking up with Netherlands boss Van Gaal at Manchester United this summer.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Everton target Celtic winger James Forrest, 22, after learning Barcelona want on-loan attacker Gerard Deulofeu, 20, back

Full story: Sunday People

Blackpool winger Tom Ince, 22, is set to turn down Inter Milan and sign for French giants Monaco.

Arsenal are to revive their interest in Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira, 27.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

OTHER GOSSIP

Former England, West Ham and Tottenham striker Teddy Sheringham, 48, is set to become West Ham's new strikers' coach.

Manager Roy Hodgson has banished agents from his England training camps in an attempt to avoid distractions over transfers affecting the mood of the squad.

Full story: The Observer

Manchester City are prepared to force midfielder James Milner, 28, and defender Micah Richards, 25, into seeing out their contracts, despite the pair wanting to leave.

Full story: Sunday Mail

AND FINALLY
Midfielder Joey Barton nearly drops QPR owner Tony Fernandes on his head during play-off celebrations.

Gunnar

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Juan Mata signed for Manchester United from Chelsea in January for £37.1m

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is ready to part with midfielder Juan Mata, 26, as Barcelona line up £40m bid.

Arsenal are planning a bid for Schalke full-back Atsuto Uchida, 26, as Bacary Sagna, 31, edges closer to a Manchester City move.

Chelsea are keen on signing Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane, 21, as David Luiz's replacement.

AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli, 23, is set to return to the Barclays Premier League next season with Arsenal and Liverpool likely destinations.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Bayern Munich forward Arjen Robben, 30, has ruled out linking up with Netherlands boss Van Gaal at Manchester United this summer.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Everton target Celtic winger James Forrest, 22, after learning Barcelona want on-loan attacker Gerard Deulofeu, 20, back

Blackpool winger Tom Ince, 22, is set to turn down Inter Milan and sign for French giants Monaco.

Arsenal are to revive their interest in Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira, 27.

OTHER GOSSIP

Former England, West Ham and Tottenham striker Teddy Sheringham, 48, is set to become West Ham's new strikers' coach.

Manager Roy Hodgson has banished agents from his England training camps in an attempt to avoid distractions over transfers affecting the mood of the squad.

Full story: The Observer

Manchester City are prepared to force midfielder James Milner, 28, and defender Micah Richards, 25, into seeing out their contracts, despite the pair wanting to leave.

Full story: Sunday Mail

AND FINALLY
Midfielder Joey Barton nearly drops QPR owner Tony Fernandes on his head during play-off celebrations.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"The ex-Bayern Munich chief prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker, and with Wayne Rooney his obvious choice behind Robin Van Persie in attack, Mata could be sacrificed to raise funds for pacy, direct wide-men."

I can't believe anyone who prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker would therefore choose to flog a real playmaker in favour of a decidedly below average playmkaer.

Sb_16

"The ex-Bayern Munich chief prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker, and with Wayne Rooney his obvious choice behind Robin Van Persie in attack, Mata could be sacrificed to raise funds for pacy, direct wide-men."

I can't believe anyone who prefers to play with one playmaker behind the main striker would therefore choose to flog a real playmaker in favour of a decidedly below average playmkaer.
Let me guess an English journalist?

Nozzy

Mata to Barca, OH NO! :smirk:

There may or may not be anything in this but if interest does come forward, where would he rather play his football?

Another point - we have to sell, to raise transfer funds?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
You know you're hung over when you get all the way to Teddy's picture in Gunnar's second post before realizing it's a duplicate.

Sparky Rhiwabon

That sounds like MoyseyLogic. I would be very concerned about Van Gaal if he goes down the same route of doing that just to keep Rooney happy.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well that didn't address any of my three points so.....
Ref you points
Living in barca playing in the cl speaking your home language being closer to family
or living in manchestet with no european football...
I think most people... me included would sooner live in barca
do we have to sell to buy... probably not but I imagine any budget would pertain to net spend and an overall wage bill target / limit and as such it could increase spending power (plus free up squad places as if we are to sign five new players for example we need to clear some out)
And is there any truth in it... well if all that was written in the sunday express was true it would be a very different world so id take it with a pinch of salt...
my point still stands though... cant see why barca would pay 40 million for him as i dont see where they would play him and replacing puyol xavi and potentially alvez if he has still not agreed a deal would seem to be their priorities

JSMHE

Just out curiosity, would anyone take a fabregas/mata straight swap?
In our situation. I'll do it. We haven't sign any world class CM for ages. I will do straight swap if it means sacrificing one of our quality no 10 role just to sign a world class CM. There is no point having a lot of quality no 10 role in the team when we don't even have quality centre midfield.

Option a) Mata - Cleverley - Carrick
Option b) Kagawa - Fabregas - Carrick.

Obviously I pick option b. Though I don't think Barca is really willing to sell Fabregas after losing Thiago. Xavi isn't young anymore.

The Neviller

In our situation. I'll do it. We haven't sign any world class CM for ages. I will do straight swap if it means sacrificing one of our quality no 10 role just to sign a world class CM. There is no point having a lot of quality no 10 role in the team when we don't even have quality centre midfield.

Option a) Mata - Cleverley - Carrick
Option b) Kagawa - Fabregas - Carrick.

Obviously I pick option b. Though I don't think Barca is really willing to sell Fabregas after losing Thiago. Xavi isn't young anymore.
What about Carrick, Strootman, Mata, or Carvalho, Carrick, Mata.

Fabregas isn't the only midfielder in the world.

JSMHE

What about Carrick, Strootman, Mata, or Carvalho, Carrick, Mata.

Fabregas isn't the only midfielder in the world.
I don't mind as well. But the main point of the question is "would anyone take a fabregas/mata straight swap?"

JSMHE

Yeah, and you can say "No, I'd rather sign a different midfielder and keep Mata".
When we got a chance to get a centre midfield right now then I will do it. Anything we need to do just to sign quality centre midfield right now even if we have to sacrifice Mata. I won't say "No, I'd rather sign a different midfielder and keep Mata", because remember how many times we lost Modric, Strootman and other players in the past. That's why if Barca offers Fabregas for Mata then my answer is yes, it's not easy to sign a quality CM for us and I will take it when the opportunity like Fabregas Mata swap comes.

The Neviller

When we got a chance to get a centre midfield right now then I will do it. Anything we need to do just to sign quality centre midfield right now even if we have to sacrifice Mata. I won't say "No, I'd rather sign a different midfielder and keep Mata", because remember how many times we lost Modric, Strootman and other players in the past. That's why if Barca offers Fabregas for Mata then my answer is yes, it's not easy to sign a quality CM for us and I will take it when the opportunity like Fabregas Mata swap comes.
He's also our best creative midfielder/#10/ACM/whatever. Sacrificing him would weaken us in attacking areas. He's better than both Rooney and Kagawa in that role.

JSMHE

He's also our best creative midfielder/#10/ACM/whatever. Sacrificing him would weaken us in attacking areas. He's better than both Rooney and Kagawa in that role.
Not really. If we are sacrificing Mata for Fabregas. It means It's about balancing the squad. It's pointless when you have Mata but don't have any quality centre midfield. Mata is better than Rooney and Kagawa in that role but Kagawa and Rooney are still quality players in that role. While Cleverley never be a quality or may be not yet. It's like rating Mata as 9/10 in number 10 role. Kagawa and Rooney got 7.5 or 8/10. While Cleverley got 5/10 in centre mid and Fab as 9/10 in centre mid.

You are having 9/10 with 5/10 quality in midfield. But when you have Kagawa/Rooney and Fabregas in midfield, it's like having 7.5/10 or 8/10 with 9/10.

So yeah swapping Mata for Fabregas won't weaken us in attacking areas. Fabregas is much more creative player than Cleverley or Fellaini.

JSMHE

:lol: It's quite remarkable how people can convince themselves of almost anything if they throw a few meaningless numbers around.
lol For people who likes numbers, numbers just to make people easy to understand. I just realised it makes people don't wanna bothered about it. Not everyone likes numbers

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
lol For people who likes numbers, numbers just to make people easy to understand. I just realised it makes people don't wanna bothered about it. Not everyone likes numbers
It's not that, it's the fact you're using your own numbers based on your evaluation, which is subjective. You can't quantify just how good Mata or anyone else is in any role on the pitch; you must talk in terms of technical ability, speed, awareness, stamina, etc, in order to evaluate different players. What Neviller is saying to you is that you could use Mata's creativity at no.10 instead of Fabregas' from midfield, and that would mean we just have to buy a different kind of midfielder to Fabregas. There are plenty of midfielders out there who could complement our forwards. Unless Van Gaal absolutely will not play with a no.10 and sees zero future for Mata at the club, we really shouldn't be exchanging him for anyone. I value Mata's technical ability more highly than Cesc's and I'd rather have more hard-working, determined midfielders.

JSMHE

It's not that, it's the fact you're using your own numbers based on your evaluation, which is subjective. You can't quantify just how good Mata or anyone else is in any role on the pitch; you must talk in terms of technical ability, speed, awareness, stamina, etc, in order to evaluate different players. What Neviller is saying to you is that you could use Mata's creativity at no.10 instead of Fabregas' from midfield, and that would mean we just had to buy a different kind of midfielder to Fabregas. There are plenty of midfielders out there who could complement our forwards. Unless Van Gaal absolutely will not play with a no.10 and sees zero future for Mata at the club, we really shouldn't be exchanging him for anyone. I value Mata's technical ability more highly than Cesc's and I'd rather have more hard-working, determined midfielders.
Oh okay. I'll make it easier without value them. Mata - Cleverley -> Kagawa/Rooney - Fabregas actually strengthen our attacking areas. No unnecessary numbers. Or any value.

The point of the question is would you like to swap Mata for Fabregas my answer is yes with our current situation.
Just because his answer is no that doesn't mean he can disagree with my answer. I got my own point for swapping Mata for Fabregas. Everyone will have 2 different answers on this. Either yes or no.

Gunnar

Manchester United have identified five key targets ahead of the summer transfer window and will give new manager Louis van Gaal a budget of £220m to sign them. Mail on Sunday

New United boss Louis van Gaal, who will take over after coaching Netherlands at the World Cup, has made injured Dutch international midfielder Kevin Strootman his number one transfer target. The 24-year-old suffered a serious knee injury with Roma in March and will not feature at this summer's tournament. Daily Express

England midfielder Frank Lampard has been told he will not be offered a new contract by Chelsea. New York City, the Manchester City franchise club, are favourites to sign the 35-year-old. Mail on Sunday

Lampard has agreed terms with New York ahead of a move to the Major League Soccer club. Times (subscription required)

Atletico Madrid striker David Villa, 32, was spotted in Manchester taking a medical ahead of a move to New York City and could join Lampard in the United States. Manchester Evening News

Liverpool will hold contract talks with England winger Raheem Sterling after the World Cup, and the 19-year-old could command a salary worth £100,000 per week. Sunday Mirror

Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna, 31, has turned down lucrative offers from Dubai and Monaco in favour of a £150,000-a-week deal at Premier League champions Manchester City. Sun (subscription required)

Roma have told Chelsea and Tottenham they will have to pay at least £50m if they want defender Mehdi Benatia, 27, this summer. Metro

Southampton are holding out for a fee of £30m for each of their coveted England internationals Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana. Left-back Shaw, 18, has been linked with a move to Manchester United, while Liverpool have made a bid of £25m for 26-year-old midfielder Lallana. Daily Express

Newly promoted Leicester City will compete with West Ham for the signature of 33-year-old former Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry, who is available on a free transfer. Sun (subscription required)

QPR manager Harry Redknapp is keen to sign Liverpool's 29-year-old right-back Glen Johnson for his newly promoted side. Redknapp worked with Johnson at Portsmouth and West Ham. Daily Star

Everton plan to double midfielder James McCarthy's wages in a new deal that would keep the 23-year-old at Goodison Park until 2019. The Ireland international has been linked with a move to Manchester United. Daily Star

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, 27, would find it "very difficult to say no" to Real Madrid if they made a move for him this summer, according to his lawyer. Independent

Sunderland have renewed their interest in 25-year-old Valencia midfielder Ever Banega, who was linked with a move to the Black Cats in January. Evening Chronicle

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, 23, has urged the club to sign his Spain team-mate Andres Iniesta, 30, from Barcelona. De Gea describes the midfielder as "one of the best players in the world - if not the best". Independent

OTHER GOSSIP
Liverpool and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez, 27, looks set to recover from injury in time to face England at the World Cup. The nations meet in Sao Paolo, Brazil on 19 June. Daily Telegraph

Former Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso says England coach Roy Hodgson should have chosen experience over youth in his World Cup squad, saying it is "not something you buy at Tesco". Sunday Mirror

Hodgson refuses to guarantee striker Wayne Rooney a place in the starting XI in Brazil. Daily Telegraph

AND FINALLY
Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos has added to the World Cup trophy tattoo on his right calf by getting the Champions League trophy inked on his left. Metro

Last edited: