Sundays implosion

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How does Sunday rate against past implosions? Was it the worst you've seen?

For me the City 6-1 and Everton 4-4 comes to mind.

Rory 7

Reminded me of the famous grey shirts episode versus Southampton.

Smalling and Blackett at CB was a recipe for disaster. Feel particularly sorry for Blackett, that lad has potential. I've lost all faith in Smalling.

Getsme

There are other reasons surrounding yesterday implosion, so I’d say the Everton one for me is the worst I’ve felt after losing a game from a very winnable position.

Maldini's Hair

Rates pretty highly for me. To be 3-1 up in in what seemed like complete control and then to completely implode and let a newly promoted team score 4 goals because of a poor decision by the ref (shocking decision tbf) is pretty horrendous. We seem to have a worrying amount of mental fragility about us at the back when the sh*t hits the fan.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Reminded me a bit of the 5-5 West Brom game in the sense that we just seemed to be gifting them goal after goal. That game obviously didn't mean as much but I'd say the Everton 4-4 was the most frustrating. Yesterday's will be up there for a long time though. Letting 5 goals in against Leicester ffs.

SteveW

Smalling and Blackett at CB was a recipe for disaster. Feel particularly sorry for Blackett, that lad has potential. I've lost all faith in Smalling.
What did Smalling do wrong?

RedStarUnited

What did Smalling do wrong?
When you get a chance watch MOTD2 on iPlayer. They highlited his errors after the penalty incident. At 3-2 and surrounded by United players he does a really awful pass that put us right back on the back foot in our own half.2 mins later, he has 2 attempts to clear the ball. he fluffs the first one, doesnt give Blind a shout for the next one, which means him and Blind go for the same ball and he cant get a good distance on it. These sequences of events led to the equaliser. Additionally he was the senior one at the back, it was his job to marshall Blackett.

On topic - the 4-4 and 6-1 felt much worse. Simply because of who it was against or who was to gain from it. As I type that I also just thought of the 4-1 vs Liverpool.

Winrar

5-5 vs West Brom (insignificant but still counts)
1-6 vs Manchester City (especially last 5 mins)
4-4 vs Everton (feck you Moyes)
3-3 vs Everton (back in 10-11, conceded 2 in injury time from 3-1 up)

ThanksBoss26

Chuck the 3-3 with Everton into the equation from the 10/11 season. 3-1 up in injury time and drew 3-3. Might have lost as well if the referee hadn't blown up on them when they were on a counter attack.

The other Everton one was worse though. Cost us the league.

izec

for me the worst too. City was bad and Everton too, but the way it happened this time and against Leicester City after a comfortable 3-1 lead to concede 4 goals in 30 minutes left me still angry and confused. Now i know how Wayne felt.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Reminds me of when were hammered 5 nil by Newcastle and got thumped 6 3 by Southampton the following week.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

That's the one I thought about during the game as well. We were down three to nothing at half time then, weren't we? So not really a similar game pattern, but it still reminded me of it.

It also made my mind wander back to all those moments I've spent shouting at my computer screen and CM / FM for being completely unrealistic when stuff just like this happens.

Dominos

We had another one against Everton in 2010, at Goodison.

We were 3-1 up at 90 minutes and it ended 3-3. They were about to score another on the counter attack in the 95th minute but the ref saved us by blowing up for full time :lol:

Patchbeard

Yeah it reminded me of the 3-3 with Everton for the disappointment factor and the 5-5 with West Brom for sheer disbelief at what was going on. I guess thankfully I was travelling at the time of the 4-4 with Everton so missed the game, knew we were 1-0 down and ended up drawing so I was quite glad at the time...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is shocking for me. Everton was a good side and capable of pulling 2 goal come back.

This is Leicester City, against 160M newly assembled squad, where we needs the points so bad. And they put F-I-V-E against us. F-I-V-E!

Gannicus

But 3 of those 5 were courtesy of Clattenburg and his co-conspirators.

Ball past the by line.
Rafael was fouled.
Blackett was fouled.

Imagine had Clattenberg and his amigos had given us those exact same calls. Rather than losing 5-3 we would have won 8-2. We'd be singing songs about Louis's genius.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Ball past the by line.
Rafael was fouled.
Blackett was fouled.

Imagine had Clattenberg and his amigos had given us those exact same calls. Rather than losing 5-3 we would have won 8-2. We'd be singing songs about Louis's genius.
Let's not blame Clattenberg too much, player getting fouled everyday, not every one of them foul leads to a goal, you still get the chance to do something afterwards, something we did not do yesterday

No11

Supports
Aberdeen

Ball past the by line.
Rafael was fouled.
Blackett was fouled.

Most of this is just ridiculous.

Rednotdead

Let's not blame Clattenberg too much, player getting fouled everyday, not every one of them foul leads to a goal, you still get the chance to do something afterwards, something we did not do yesterday
Every week some team or other gets a dodgy penalty given against them. Some just roll up their sleeves and say "feck this, we're not having it. Let's get this going". Others just feel sorry for themselves, collapse and let in 4 goals in 30 minutes then whine about the referee having cost them the game.

Rob Bowman

The thing for me is you will always get bad reffing decision.

Now my issue with Rafael is year after year giving the refs that opportunity. My issue with Smalling is being hostage to the game. When things are good they are fine but when they are bad it is gone. We need mature players who can man up and weather the storm.

I mean think of Gary, Rio and Vidic ala 2008. We would never have given the penalty and even if we had the storm would have been weathered. You learn that with exp but Rafael and Smalling have had exp. They have played with those composed players and should now be able to emulate that on the pitch for themselves. Despite all of Rafael's obvious talent and Smalling potential if they do not clear this mental hurdle soon we need to move on.

As for Blackett the kid has bags of potential and he needs some patience. On Rojo the jury is out.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Most of this is just ridiculous.
To be fair I think it was a joke, noone actually believes the referee was responsible for the entire loss, despite the terrible call.

4-4 Everton for me was the most shocking United collapse I have ever seen, closely followed by 3-3 Everton, and they weren;t even losses, but a SAF team who were closing down the title with a 4-2 lead at home in a game just does not do this, whilst Sunday was weaker opposition and a bigger turnaround, given Uniteds lack of quality in defense and midfield it was not THAT shocking. the 3-3 was shocking because of the timing of the final goals. Leading 1-3 going into 3 or 4 minutes of ET the game is forgotten about pretty much.

Warriner

I think it's been so bad for me to take this defeat because at 3-1 we had a lot to be upbeat about. New signings scoring goals, great goals, Falcao with a lovely assist, RVP back on the score sheet.. They were playing well, yes we looked a tad shakey at the back but it was comfortable. Then that decision which was two awful decisions in the space of 2 seconds changed everything, the momentum swung, we imploded and it's gone from being an amazing day, a great weekend, to.. Well, I'm sure you're all feeling like I was and am this week.

Still say the 4-4 to Everton was a tad worse, but only because if we had held on for a win we would of won the league.

bleedred

Every week some team or other gets a dodgy penalty given against them. Some just roll up their sleeves and say "feck this, we're not having it. Let's get this going". Others just feel sorry for themselves, collapse and let in 4 goals in 30 minutes then whine about the referee having cost them the game.
Its called Momentum... Any team would have gone on to win the game after such an incident. If it had happened at say 3-0, we would have closed it down, but at 3-1, it was too close of a game and we just crumbled...

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Its called Momentum... Any team would have gone on to win the game after such an incident. If it had happened at say 3-0, we would have closed it down, but at 3-1, it was too close of a game and we just crumbled...
Conceding the incorrect penalty was not responsible for then conceding 3 more. If the defense loses their heads that badly then that's a problem with the defense because calls will go for and against you all season long.

Rednotdead

Conceding the incorrect penalty was not responsible for then conceding 3 more. If the defense loses their heads that badly then that's a problem with the defense because calls will go for and against you all season long.
Correct! Presumably if we get a dodgy penalty given against us in the first five minutes of a game, we can all just pack up and go home!

Warriner

I think also you have to wonder.. Had it been a clear penalty, no question, and that foul on Rafael beforehand not happened.. Would we have collapsed so bad? I think the main reason we imploded was the fact we were in disbelief. You feel you're against everyone. The ref was giving them everything, the fans smell blood, even our fans were in shock.. After that I couldn't hear them, and I can't remember the last time I've never been able to hear our amazing away fans. Then momentum is against you.

In a way, I'm not worried. Before the game we knew we lacked leaders, and we know we need more defenders. We can't do anything about that now (Unless a few players learn to gain a voice) It was a horrific decision which highlighted this, again something we can't do anything about, before that - as I said before - We had a lot to be upbeat about. That's why it's been so hard to take but it also gives me something to still be confident about. I'm just trying to stay positive and think about how well we were playing up until then, and how well the new lads were doing.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have to agree. Besides, this is mainly about context. We have a defense many perceived as shaky and doubtful and whatnot before the match. We then proceed to concede a feckload after seemingly breaking down completely. If this happened to a tried and tested defense it could easily be chalked up to coincidence, "one of those days", etc. As it stands - it's hard to take it as anything but yet another sign of weakness back there.

Parma Dewol

For me one of the most painful was the 2-1 defeat to Madrid at OT. Nani's controversial red card...

We seemed to have that game in the bag, we were bossing things, which in itself is some feat against that Madrid side. Looked in complete control until that one moment, and it was incredible how everyone lost the plot. So much so that it wasn't just the players, even the great Sir Alex lost it completely. Really thought we might have won the Champions League that year - a fitting end for Sir Alex's career - but the players and the staff lost their composure for 10 minutes after the ref's decision and that was enough to swing the tie.

bleedred

I understand. I am in now way blaming the decision alone for the result. But the timing of the decision is what I am talking about. It happened at a crucial phase with regards to Leicester. If it had happened at say, 4-1, do you think they would have come back??.

Warriner

For me one of the most painful was the 2-1 defeat to Madrid at OT. Nani's controversial red card...

We seemed to have that game in the bag, we were bossing things, which in itself is some feat against that Madrid side. Looked in complete control until that one moment, and it was incredible how everyone lost the plot. So much so that it wasn't just the players, even the great Sir Alex lost it completely. Really thought we might have won the Champions League that year - a fitting end for Sir Alex's career - but the players and the staff lost their composure for 10 minutes after the ref's decision and that was enough to swing the tie.
Brilliant comparison! Easy to say these defenders should not be letting bad decisions get to them, and they aren't good enough for letting it happen. Yet it happened to a very experienced defence, and a very experienced manager, at home. Doesn't matter how good you are, or how many years you have been playing.. Momentum and Morale can play a strong role.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Good shout. Not as dramatic as some of the others mentioned, but i do remember feeling bitterly disappointed after that game. I think the reason why SAF didn't take it too well is because he also knew it was his last shot at the CL.

Another similarly disappointing result for me was the second leg against Bayern in 2010, we were 3-0 up at one point with our tails up certain to go through, then Rafa got sent off and we pretty much lost the plot.

Funny how both were influenced by red cards.

Fahad Jawaid

I actually think it was very similar to how Liverpool beat us at OT in 08/09 season 4-1, we were winning the match then they equalized with a stupid penalty give away, then the red card to Vidic on Torres, and after that we just went to pieces and even their shit players like Dosenna and Aurlieo scored everything went for them that day, which is how i feel it did for Leicester city on Sunday, the quick goal after going 2-0 down, then ref giving them a lifeline etc.