Supporters that dont want Mourinho: What will he have to do to win you over?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some people are more interested in the success of the club and not what's best for Giggs.

Supporting Moyes and being desperate for Giggs doesn't mean you know how to support a club
This

Giggs was my favourite player but I would gladly shit on his head if that means United win another EPL title. He's just an employee of my favourite club, nothing more nothing less

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't particularly want him but he doesn't have to win me over as he's the only option out there and I know that. I'd hire him if I had the power to do so.

Cal?

CR7 fan
For me he's definitely in the top 10. Don't you remember him particularly in the 90s?
Like I said, I would have him in the top 10 by default, but I still think those I listed can genuinely claim to have been better for a few seasons each.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This

Giggs was my favourite player but I would gladly shit on his head if that means United win another EPL title. He's just an employee of my favourite club, nothing more nothing less
Uncalled for, but I agree with the sentiment.

Support the club, not the employees.

SalfordRed1960

I don't think you can compare SAF with anybody and the buck should stop here. However while Mou may not be my number 1 manager (I would prefer Ancelotti), I don't think that its fair on Mou to allow this post to pass by without a bit of corrections or clarifications

a- Money. Its quite ironic we keep mentioning that because for a substantial amount of time (ie till when Roman bought Chelsea) we were the EPL financial top dogs. We're talking here between 1983 and 2003 ie 8/13 league titles, 4/5 FA cups, 1/4 league cups, 4/6 European trophies. We lagged behind the Italian and Spanish clubs in terms of spending however Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle could never compete against us financially and we knew it. We could get mostly any player in the EPL and I lost count how many EPL record signings we made. The EPL Mourinho found was of a higher level and certainly more competitive.

b- Mourinho got sacked because he lost the dressing room. Its quite evident because its mathematically impossible to take the champions to relegation zone in few months. Its a silly mistake that shouldn't have been made and which raise concern about Mou's man management's ability. However its not as if that never happened under SAF. In 1995 SAF ended up having to get rid of 3 crucial players (ie Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes) + one of our most promising youths (Gillespie). Not to forget that Cantona almost left too. What bailed him out was the class of 92, a one in a generation youth crop who took ownership of the situation and kept the flag flying high else we would have been in deep shit. Can't really blame Mou for not having the next Beckham and Scholes waiting in Chelsea's youth academy can you? No one has.

I don't think anyone can emulate SAF because the man was a genius and managing the financial top dogs in a league that for most of the time was much weaker and far less competitive than it is now. Not to forget that we were blessed with a generation of players that happen only once in 30 years.
As far as a) is concerned, I agree with the United and SAF bit on money, I have never argued we do not spend the cash, but Jose had a bucket load of cash to throw around, I also disagree with Jose found a higher level and more competitive. United were re-building, City hadn't really started, Liverpool were no where, Arsenal had constraints because of the ground. The previous Chelsea managers over a course of some 8 years had slowly built a platform/foundation on which Jose could then tweak. Yet he spent GBP 140M on 10 players in his first season, he then spent GBP 80M in his second. He likes to throw the dosh. Yes, it bought him trophies, but it is not as though he is someone who has had to deal with a tight budget.

Though I referenced SAF, I could quite easily have mentioned the Italian managers in the 80s and even the Bayern and Barca managers more recently. They all change slightly the style, format of the teams to reflect the evolving tactics of the opposition and to gain more sustainable advantage. Jose has been successful with his style, can he now go on to make it sustainable with minor tweaks. As for losing the dressing room, that may be true, again we will never know. He made some strange choices in tactics and team selections this year.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
First of all, Mourinho is a good manager but I feel he has a few approaches in football that need to be adopted if he wants long-term stability at Manchester United.

When Sir Alex retired figures such as Peter Schmeichel publicly came out and expressed his point that Mourinho is not a "long-term manager" and he traditionally lasts 2-3 years at most.

I was watching an interview behind Mourinho recently about his break from football for a few months, he said he has had two breaks in around 15 years. In this interview he said the following "To win back to back trophies you need to create instability, make your top players question themselves."

I think sometimes with Mourinho there is too much "rocking the boat". This what cost him his job, and his respect this year at Chelsea, I think his approach traditionally at Inter and Chelsea is to create a "Them vs us" mentality which creates a togetherness within the team and for them to fight for lost causes but after a while it seems to cause resentment.

Sir Alex, would bring in new recruits as Mourinho did and he was always planning 3 years in advance. I think this year with Mourinho it was embarrassing with the club doctor what happened, and his jibes at Wenger the last few years.

The issues I have is, LvG was supposed to "build the squad" as he did at Bayern and Barcelona, yet he's not done that. Martial is the one good thing he's done for the club now a lot of the squad such as Young, Valencia, Rooney are 29.

The club needs a big name manager to pull big players, that would have been Guardiola, now it has to be Mourinho but I think the one thing with Mourinho is he needs to tweak his management style in place to target long-term success than just a 3 year stint then find himself looking for another club.

devilish

As far as a) is concerned, I agree with the United and SAF bit on money, I have never argued we do not spend the cash, but Jose had a bucket load of cash to throw around, I also disagree with Jose found a higher level and more competitive. United were re-building, City hadn't really started, Liverpool were no where, Arsenal had constraints because of the ground. The previous Chelsea managers over a course of some 8 years had slowly built a platform/foundation on which Jose could then tweak. Yet he spent GBP 140M on 10 players in his first season, he then spent GBP 80M in his second. He likes to throw the dosh. Yes, it bought him trophies, but it is not as though he is someone who has had to deal with a tight budget.

Though I referenced SAF, I could quite easily have mentioned the Italian managers in the 80s and even the Bayern and Barca managers more recently. They all change slightly the style, format of the teams to reflect the evolving tactics of the opposition and to gain more sustainable advantage. Jose has been successful with his style, can he now go on to make it sustainable with minor tweaks. As for losing the dressing room, that may be true, again we will never know. He made some strange choices in tactics and team selections this year.
Maureen was in different clubs than SAF, clubs with more cash but also more expectations who insist on a trophy year in year out. We wanted a legacy that endure in time (mostly because we're a bit skint), Inter/Chelsea/Real want honours and they wanted them now. You can't argue with an employee whose following orders can you?

Also when Maureen came to England United had SAF, Arsenal had Wenger and Liverpool had Rafa. When SAF started winning titles he did so against supreme football tacticians like Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Evans and Graeme Souness. SAF's first real (and for many years only) test came from a young Arsene Wenger who challenged United with Arsenal despite working with half our budget. To note that Jose won over SAF both with near unlimited funds (Chelsea) and with a budget far less than ours (Porto). In 3 years that Jose clashed swords with SAF he won 2 out of 3 league titles

Dobba

Only ask for a 2 year contract. Based on his last couple of jobs, we'd then only get 6-8 months of him acting like a complete tit before he's counting his severance package again.

In all seriousness he'd have to win the league with this squad, minus the injuries, after the last few months of posts on here.

Last edited:

m1tch

To win me over;
Back challenging for the title and the champions league.
A eye on the long term squad wise.
No circus, fines, bans, just get on with the job.

I guess I'd take just the first one though considering how awful it is watching us these days.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He'll just come out with a the obvious "huge club, honour to be here" stuff that some will lap up.

Then he'll beat Liverpool or City and celebrate like a nutter.

After that, the likes of Twigginator will be saving up for their Special One lower back tattoo.

Last edited:

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
In answer to the OP.

Take the Inter job and spare us in this country from his poisonous and malevolent presence.

P.Head

D.Head
Fill the side with strapping Eastern Europeans & athletic Africans. Play 5-4-1 swamp the midfield & hold, kick the shit out of any opposition flair players & fall over in faux agony if tackled.
Once the opposition is ground to inertia, hit the feckers on the break, score & close the game out in an efficient manner.
Collect trophy & declare brilliance to an adoring media!

This obnoxious Cnut has no redeeming features. He is anti football & how any United fan would want him anywhere near OT is beyond me.

Crashoutcassius

Personally, I am not in love with the idea that Mourinho will be in charge of United and for a number of reasons. But if reports are true it is looking more and more likely that he will be here next season.

I've asked myself, given his record what will have to happen for me to warm to him. It would be very hard to continue to have a negative opinion of him if he brings success.

I want to see him continue to give youth players a chance. Challenging for the PL and CL would obviously be hard to ignore too.

What will he have to do to win you over?
He would have to play exciting football for the second time in his career (and without the players he had at real) he would have to build a young team rather than a negative and workhorse like team for the second time in his career (and even real were negative in big games) and he will have to no make a circus out of every situation and stop trying to cheat his way to winning big games. If we play City and put every man behind the ball and try to dive and cheat our way to the win ala Real madrid under mourinho I will die of embarrassment

He is the best manager in the world at winning, but is still an embarrassment for a club with any class and designs on playing a certain way/bringing younger players through

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Fill the side with strapping Eastern Europeans & athletic Africans. Play 5-4-1 swamp the midfield & hold, kick the shit out of any opposition flair players & fall over in faux agony if tackled.
Once the opposition is ground to inertia, hit the feckers on the break, score & close the game out in an efficient manner.
Collect trophy & declare brilliance to an adoring media!

This obnoxious Cnut has no redeeming features. He is anti football & how any United fan would want him anywhere near OT is beyond me.
This.Of course if we dish out a couple of hidings to City and Liverpool it might help in a small way that is.

prarek

Deflect all the attention away from the poor performances and towards the new Pokemon Red: Park Edition releasing in March in UK/Europe and April in the States. Available on pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Loon

:lol:
If he comes, I'd like to think he'd listen to Ferguson, as Ferguson did Busby, and come to understand the values and traditions of United and demonstrate them.

Loon

You're one of my fav posters @SalfordRed1960 i don't always agree with you, but always enjoy your posts. Can see you're against Mourinho, just curious what you'd do now? (Sorry if I've missed you answering this if you have).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why on earth can't some fans accept the fact that Mourinho isn't liked by everyone, and isn't first choice to some other fans? At the end of the day, all that matters is that the board likes him. If they bring him on, who cares what some fans think. Vice versa.

Anyway, currently he is the most qualified candidate available, so I have little issue with bringing him on. Contrary to others I don't think he is the only man suited for the job. I definitely dont think we're headed for mid-table purgatory if he doesn't come on board. Things I would hate, but bear since I can't do anything else, sitting on a couch thousands of miles away from Old Trafford:

1. Extreme prioritization of winning at all costs, over constructive building of a system geared to challenge for many years. The former is why he leaves teams in a depleted state despite wins they may have.

2. Extremely cynical defensive tactics that don't matter, or actually harm the team (cf his tactics against Atletico, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Barcelona in the past).

3. Not using youth. Youth don't get better on the bench. Give them a chance.

4. As much as people try and draw parallels between SAF and Jose, there is a difference between losing your temper momentarily, and being a cnut. Don't be the latter.

5. Boring football.

SalfordRed1960

You're one of my fav posters @SalfordRed1960 i don't always agree with you, but always enjoy your posts. Can see you're against Mourinho, just curious what you'd do now? (Sorry if I've missed you answering this if you have).
I wish I knew the answer. I am not sure Jose or Giggs is the answer.

I think that on each of the last two summer transfer windows, I was happy with the players that got purchased and let go. Something I couldn't say many times in Fergies era. However, I thought Veron would be an absolute star for us, so what do I know. Saying all that I have been surprised at the weak mentality of these new players. Easy to blame the manager, but I think a lot of our problems are the players.

For managers, pretty sure no one would have chosen Poch' before seeing what he did at Southampton or Spurs, so there are good managers out there that are not at the big clubs. Jose does not have much choice, he has been at most big clubs, he is unlikely to interest Barca, won't get to Bayern, so who is he really going to go to. I would support him if he came, but would certainly not listen to his post-match PC.

I think this summer is going to be very interesting, it is LVG's last season, so if someone really is available then I think you would have to consider a change. Personally, I wouldn't change a manager that wins the FA, Europa, and gets in the top 4:wenger:

Loon

I wish I knew the answer. I am not sure Jose or Giggs is the answer.

I think that on each of the last two summer transfer windows, I was happy with the players that got purchased and let go. Something I couldn't say many times in Fergies era. However, I thought Veron would be an absolute star for us, so what do I know. Saying all that I have been surprised at the weak mentality of these new players. Easy to blame the manager, but I think a lot of our problems are the players.

For managers, pretty sure no one would have chosen Poch' before seeing what he did at Southampton or Spurs, so there are good managers out there that are not at the big clubs. Jose does not have much choice, he has been at most big clubs, he is unlikely to interest Barca, won't get to Bayern, so who is he really going to go to. I would support him if he came, but would certainly not listen to his post-match PC.

I think this summer is going to be very interesting, it is LVG's last season, so if someone really is available then I think you would have to consider a change. Personally, I wouldn't change a manager that wins the FA, Europa, and gets in the top 4:wenger:
Cool. Thanks for that. Good to see you're as conflicted as I am!

VII

I think we can forget about giving youth players chance. That era is gone. Even our own academy graduates like Neville and Fletcher are sending their children to Man City's. The youth we get from here on out will be those deemed not good enough by City so why should we bend over backwards to play them even though they're below par just to keep up the tradition.

Listar

Admit the mistake and say sorry to Eva. Respecting and acknowledging others people profession is a big thing. Not every time it has to be about "winning". I reckon he lost some respect from the players out of the Eva + Hazard incidents, hence performance levels going downhill since.

Listar

This.Of course if we dish out a couple of hidings to City and Liverpool it might help in a small way that is.
Didn't help Van Gaal did that? Other than one game against Arsenal Van Gaal United generally win handsomely (results wise) against the top teams the two years he have been here.

entropy

Uncalled for, but I agree with the sentiment.

Support the club, not the employees.
Kinda random statement to make. Fans choose to support individual players all the time. Best, Charlton, Hughes, Bruce,Cantona are the reason why several fans began to support United. Giggs is no different.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Kinda random statement to make. Fans choose to support individual players all the time. Best, Charlton, Hughes, Bruce,Cantona are the reason why several fans began to support United. Giggs is no different.
In that case, those people are Best, Charlton, Hughes, Bruce,Cantona fans, not United fans.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
In that case, those people are Best, Charlton, Hughes, Bruce,Cantona fans, not United fans.
As green Red said, stop talking shite. I became a utd fan because I saw George Best play. When he left Utd I kept watching him and the teams he played for. Still stayed a utd fan though. Most fans have favourite players. Its quite often why fans begin following clubs.

Crashoutcassius

be realistic -the last time mourinho faced a guardiola side he put every player behind the ball and tried to cheat his way to the win. It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in football. We won't be handing out any thrashings to city, we will sit hyper negative on the edge of our box and try to dive and win a penalty, usually we'll lose 5-0, every now and then we'll get a one nil win.

we might thrash liverpool but van gaal has done that a few times too, they are appalling

Owngoalscorer

I think we can forget about giving youth players chance. That era is gone. Even our own academy graduates like Neville and Fletcher are sending their children to Man City's. The youth we get from here on out will be those deemed not good enough by City so why should we bend over backwards to play them even though they're below par just to keep up the tradition.
Maybe we should just scrap the academy ? After all there's no point in wasting money on something that patently doesn't work eh?
Chucking money at over-hyped pensioners would be far better obviously..

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
be realistic -the last time mourinho faced a guardiola side he put every player behind the ball and tried to cheat his way to the win. It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in football. We won't be handing out any thrashings to city, we will sit hyper negative on the edge of our box and try to dive and win a penalty, usually we'll lose 5-0, every now and then we'll get a one nil win.

we might thrash liverpool but van gaal has done that a few times too, they are appalling
I agree he'd likely park the bus against top teams, but using what he had to do vs that Guardiola Barca side as his norm is a bit extreme, they were such a magnificent side that he had to try something to knock them out of their usual game. Let's be fair, this current City side are not Barca 09.
I don't remember Chelsea the past few years having a reputation worse than most other sides in the PL for diving all over the place for example, Costa being an exception but the majority of players he brought in, or retained from the previous regime were players like Willian and Matic, workaholics, as profficient when off the ball as on it.

junglemusic

Our academy isn't as good as it could be (or once was), so scrap it completely? Don't be so silly.

CG1010

Behave like less of a retard, and not to make everything about him.
Exactly this. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't want him to become bigger than the club, a line SAF never crossed.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

You think Pep is going to make City into Barcelona quality? Is he bringing Messi with him?

devilish

And that matters why? Fans will always be biased towards their favorite player.
I can accept being biased toward their favourite player. I am with Scholes and Giggs. However the buck stops when the player becomes more important than the club. Once that line is crossed then the fan stops being a Manchester United one and becomes a :add player's name: fan

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Been a real refreshing read this, apart from a few ransom silly comments it's really good to see such a high level of intelligent discourse on redcafe.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Last time Mourinho team faced Guardiola it was an entertaining 2-2 draw with both teams enjoying good spells of possession. Chelsea were down to 10 men for a large part of the game too.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
A personality transplant on Jose so he's not a complete and utter shitstick is the very least I'd be happy with, I'd also like some sort of surgery that makes that smug grim impossible for him to perform.
I'm not saying I don't want him because right now almost anyone else would be better, but doesn't mean I'm particularly happy about it either.