Supporting other English teams in European competition...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
For me it’s a mixed bag and - as a Bayern supporter - coming from an elevated position. I want other German teams to do well but ultimately come up short. So Leverkusen for example losing a CL final would be perfect for me.
But not Leipzig. They deserve every loss they can get. And i was always rooting against Klopp. I simply didn’t like his antics.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Liverpool, city, arsenal and Chelsea I always want out ASAP. Any other PL club I’m usually quite pleased if they go far

My mate was asking me earlier if I’d not prefer to see a Bayern v city semi and it was just a big no.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sometimes i strategically want another English team we're competing with domestically to progress to clog up their schedule (prime example United vs Bayern in 09/10 as the title race was close, it was the extra break that helped us win at OT the previous weekend and i felt United didn't have the squad to go all in for both) but have i ever supported another English side when there's been no need to strategically think of Chelsea's interest's? Never, not even in Leicester's case.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’m Irish so it’s funny see an overrated English team get done and all the drama that inevitably ensues.
I’m a bit the same myself. For one reason or another the league just cannot seem to dominate Europe like we have seen from Spain and Italy over the years. We see at times a great 1-2 years but never seem to sustain a real dominance. It’s funny when it’s not Utd

Angelinho

I always cheer for whoever is playing against City, Liverpool & Chelsea. For the other English teams, if they are playing against Real Barca or PSG, then i'll cheer for them, otherwise I'm most likely to support their opponents.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’m a bit the same myself. For one reason or another the league just cannot seem to dominate Europe like we have seen from Spain and Italy over the years. We see at times a great 1-2 years but never seem to sustain a real dominance. It’s funny when it’s not Utd
As a neutral I’ll always without exception shout for the underdog. If City beat Lyon convincingly I probably would have said big deal (and secretly wished we’d signed some of their players while we had the chance!) and quickly moved on but it’s great when results like tonight happen. It’s the beauty of sports. There’s never a sure thing especially with egos involved and the fallout from internet football fans is always priceless. I’m the same when United mess up :wenger:

I think Bayern look nailed on now for what it’s worth. What a squad they have. Thiago heads off on the cheap after years of top service and they already have plenty of class players who can take his place or If they needed to sign a replacement they would just go out and do it without fuss.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The way commentators cheer for certain English teams over others.

BT commentary for De Bruynes equaliser today was disgusting. Mcmanaman actually said "Yees" and the other clown started talking about what De Bruyne means to City. For an equaliser. V Lyon.

Green_Red

I just bought a Lyon shirt with Dembele 9 on the back of it an a new t-shirt with "Differnt Year, Same Stuff" printed on the front. So, no I don't support other teams in Europe.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'll cheer for anyone against Liverpool, Man City and Barcelona.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

BT commentary for De Bruynes equaliser today was disgusting. Mcmanaman actually said "Yees" and the other clown started talking about what De Bruyne means to City. For an equaliser. V Lyon.
I think that is what gets me the most. Other countries might do it but having to hear the constant bias here particularly annoys me.

Especially as it seems United don’t get that bias as much. When we won the Europa but there were still negative comments from media about it, yet other clubs will get lauded.

Though I do recall Andy Gray totally dismissing Milan before the 3-0 second leg.

Smithy89

Only time i have done it, is for Spurs. I'd happily watch City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal get beat while cheering on the foreign team.

RashyForPM

I don’t cheer on any of the top 6 bar us. However, I was willing Leicester on against Atlético in 2017.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Why is that disgusting? :confused:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think that is what gets me the most. Other countries might do it but having to hear the constant bias here particularly annoys me.

Especially as it seems United don’t get that bias as much. When we won the Europa but there were still negative comments from media about it, yet other clubs will get lauded.

Though I do recall Andy Gray totally dismissing Milan before the 3-0 second leg.
Other countries definitely do it. They will often cheer on their players abroad as well if they happen to be involved in that particular match.

I also don't mind broadcasters being so biased because they're not catering just to the kinds of fans who are massively into their teams but (and especially when the matches were on ITV), the whole country.

Having said that, not really for me. Chelsea and Arsenal definitely not. Liverpool mostly for their fans. City and Man Utd I don't mind winning individual matches as much but still wouldn't want them to win the trophy as a whole. Especially now we're (kind of) around the top of the table. When we were solidly mid to lower table, I didn't mind Man Utd winning stuff in Europe. That's probably because of the number of times they stopped Arsenal and Chelsea winning trophies though.

bp19992

It's a lot worse here in Germany.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Never, for me. I appreciate pundits are trying to put some sort of ‘England first’ hat on, but it seems to stretch beyond just them from what I read, and I’m not having it at all.
It's not really English teams anymore though is it.
Last night was a bunch of Global players funded by middle eastern money. One or two English lads.
Most of the club's involved in Europe are the same.
Man City may as well be Inter Milan for all I care.

If its not United I really don't care who wins. My preference is a club that's organic. The plastic clubs like Chelsea City and PSG are just hollow.

bp19992

Never understood it. I want Rangers to lose every time they play in Europe even though it's great for the coefficient if they do well.

Basically pettiness and rivalry > common sense and the greater good and I wouldn't change it for the world :lol:
Yeah but that's not the best example tbh.
Would you cheer for let's say Inverness if they'd reach the final of the Europa League?

wolvored

It's obvious that when you are on TV you have to support the English team. That's what you are paid to do. Same as if it's Scotland for example in an international and they are playing anyone outside the British Isles. Personally if it's not Utd or England I am for the foreign side playing against another team domestically or Internationally

Remember the geese

I wasn't too bothered about the likes of Everton/Fulham/Middlesbrough/Bolton etc having their day in the sun.

However, aside from being happy enough with the Spurs comeback against Ajax (purely because I thought they'd give Liverpool a better game in the final), I always want our big domestic rivals to crash and burn in Europe.

Loon

:lol:
Only ever did it for Forest all those years ago. We were hopeless and Clough was Clough & Taylor and it made a change from the dippers.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t mind seeing Spurs do well, I don’t root for them but I don’t root against them either. Liverpool, City, Chelsea & Arsenal can feck off though. Always root against them.

Loon

:lol:
I'm willing to bet "Fletch" and the ginger scouser will not be rooting so strongly for us tonight...

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Depends which team it is but on the whole, no chance do I support an English side in Europe.
The only exception that I can think of is when Fulham had their Europa League run a decade ago but last night, I was a Lyon fan and I'm sure I'll be forgiven on here for supporting Sevilla tonight :D

Flanders Devil

If we're not there, then sure, so long as it's not Chelsea, Liverpool, City or Arsenal. Spurs I don't really care about. And everyone else would be just be a plucky underdog story, so that'd be fine.
Smaller plucky club I have done, but nobody I'd consider a rival to United.

Found myself really behind Fulham on their run in Europe and to a lesser extent Middlesbrough. Even Leicester a little bit in the CL.

Should be an insult of sorts - if I'm doing it I don't take your club seriously.
this pretty much sums it up for me. But for me, the only 2 teams I actively don’t want to win are Liverpool and City.

Not fussed either way on Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham.

And probably would have a soft spot for wolves/Everton/Sheffield and the like.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
I always want the English teams to lose unless its an underdog like Wolves, Leicester etc

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I supported Leicester in the champions league after they won the prem, and I supported Fulham in the UEFA cup final.

Other than that, nah.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Depends. If Poch is managing them then yes I want them to win for he is god. Otherwise, no.

/Amadeus
Was about to say ‘found Amadeus second account’ but then saw the white text. :lol:

POF

I find it really strange that anyone would support their rivals in Europe. You spend all season wanting them to lose every game. I would find it really hard to switch to supporting them, even if I wanted to.

I absolutely don't want to so it's not a problem.

CM

I've wanted teams like Fulham, Everton and Spurs to do well in Europa years back, but not so much now. I don't think I'd ever back another English team in the Champions League.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Why would I want a foreign team to beat an English team?
I will always want an English team (poopsmuff?) to do well in Europe. I think a bit of jealousy/envy may be a part of not doing so.
Though I don't feel any kind of sadness if they don't win either.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah but that's not the best example tbh.
Would you cheer for let's say Inverness if they'd reach the final of the Europa League?
No. I think you underestimate how much everyone in Scotland hates each other :lol:

Dante

Average bang
It's their job to dumb down football, entertain the audience and increase ratings.

English teams on British TV helps achieve that. Maybe it's not necessary amongst the football mad demographic that tends to post on this forum. But it is for the rest of the country.