Surprise at Blind playing well at centre half

Green_Red

Pleasantly surprised so far but will reserve judgement for a good few more games.

Skills

Snitch
He's basically Jonny Evans but better on the ball. Not fast, not strong or good in the air but Evans managed to forge a decent career here as a CB for many years. We'll see how it goes though - I still think it will massively flop.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He did this low driven pass into one of our forwards' feet in the first half against Villa. It was a thing if beauty.

It put is right on the front foot and split open a well organized Villa side.

Time will tell if he can deal with the Giants and speed freaks though. I still think Rojo will be Smalling's main partner.

prath92

He did this low driven pass into one of our forwards' feet in the first half against Villa. It was a thing if beauty.

It put is right on the front foot and split open a well organized Villa side.

Time will tell if he can deal with the Giants and speed freaks though. I still think Rojo will be Smalling's main partner.
He did it twice both to januzaj
While there is no guarantee that he will be crap when we face the likes of Chelsea or City, there are no guarantees on a good performance too :)
There is also no guarantee that otamendi if he comes will adapt to the PL quickly. Or even Ramos. This is a moot point

RedDevil@84

He did it twice both to januzaj

There is also no guarantee that otamendi if he comes will adapt to the PL quickly. Or even Ramos. This is a moot point
Lolz. True. What I meant was his performances against Spurs or Villa might not give us an indication of what might happen when he faces City or Chelsea.
Because he was neither horribly out of depth nor excellent in the 2 games.

Kaos

People are forgetting that he's not going to be up against Aguero or Lukaku 1vs1 most the time. He'll have Smalling alongside him in addition to the protection of a much more beefed out midfield. This isnt the NBA.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I've missed the last two games due to various reasons. Going to OT tomorrow so will have a better idea on his performances at CB. For those who have seen us play, how have his performances been?

Skills

Snitch
Don't think he can cope with the likes of Aguero and an interested Lukaku. Then again, don't think many can cope with Aguero
Yeah I think Smalling also doesn't seem to have a great time against Aguero. The movement and acceleration is too much, so you can't man mark him or keep him in sight. You just have to cut off all the service to him.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Why is this so surprising?

He's loved by Van Gaal and its easy to see why - he's exceptionally intelligent and tactically aware and consequently superbly versatile. He's primarily a defensive mid yet his best performances came for us at lb last year because he is able to see what needs to be done and when, which made him especially potent in attack despite his lack of pace.

He's extremely reliable, a good tackler, has great stamina, superb positioning, an excellent left foot, a cool head playing it out from the back and when making himself available...pretty much the only things he lacks are strength, height and pace. Even so, he's taller than a certain Javier Mascherano who hasn't been such a bad centre half at another possession team in Barca.

The other thing is, he already played in central defence last year during an injury crisis and did well...so why wouldn't he be a good centre half for us?
I might be wrong but wiki suggests he was a LB who was converted to a DM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be fair, he'd always been a defender to my knowledge anyway, who then showed he could play in midfield too. I may hae it the wrong way round, but he didn't start playing in defence here I'm sure. He has his flaws, but he has enough positives that I'm open to the experiment, especially with Mike alongside him to be his older brother basically and beat up anyone who does manage to beat him up.

From a physical perspective, Mike and Rojo would probably be our best partnership, as Rojo is also strong, rapid, and good on the ball too. The only problem is that he and Jones share only a handful of brain cells between them.

Rory 7

He played at CB a lot for Ajax too. He's really versatile. I think he should be applauded for his performances so far. He kept Kane quiet and dealt admirably with the 'pace and power' of Villa's forwards.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Let's see how he develops and fares against better strikers. But so far so good, to my own surprise. Maybe LVG knows a thing or two about football after all :)

Roux

How many better strikers are there then Kane, and how many have the aerial ability of Gestede?

No alarms so far against both of them.
Not to mention Agbonlahor - who is one of the quickest players in the league.

RedChip

Don't most defenders get 'found out' against top strikers every now and then? If so, is it a fair standard on which to judge Blind?

I mean Vidic had a few mares against Torres but we didn't suddenly decide he was shit because of it, did we?

buckooo1978

we're yet to see him tested really which pays testament to the defensive solidity of the team

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's basically Jonny Evans but better on the ball. Not fast, not strong or good in the air but Evans managed to forge a decent career here as a CB for many years. We'll see how it goes though - I still think it will massively flop.
He won't be protected by the homegrown plot shield though

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Blind is no raging liability but he isn't the answer either. Physicality is hugely important in this division and it is something that will bite us on the arse if we persist with him at centre half.

That said, so far so good. I like Blind a lot. If he was physically stronger and faster then we'd be looking at an incredible player. He's got the football side of things well covered.
I agree, this is the PL. Unfortunately things like physicality and pace are huge factors in this league. There are players and teams out there who are flat track bullies. Will be interesting to see how he copes with that. TBH though with regards to pace, Hummels is also someone who lacks this, and Mertz, but they both compensate with size and strength I guess.

I like Blind though, think he is a very good player, but could he handle a Costa (strength and pace) Aguero (pace and quite strong too) Benteke (strength and ariel ability) these will be the tests. Although of course you would expect Smalling (who can handle all of that) to help him out.

Al-T

That he's a versatile, technically adept footballer isn't in question. Whether he's the long-term solution to the CB conundrum remains to be seen. I think most people believed we needed and would have brought in a new CB by this stage.

Looks like that may not now happen. Given the alternatives, I hope that Blind continues to develop and Smalling stays fit.

Shyftyy

I am a bit torn on this.

So far I think he is doing well and there are examples of other DM's converting to center backs, like Mascherano (174cm/5' 8¨) and actually Daley's dad Danny(176cm/5'9¨) both of which have been very successful on the basis of intelligence and positioning instead of shear physical attributes. I think Daley has these 2 characteristics but the premier league is known for it's physicality as others have pointed out.

It's about the whole team defense though including the pressing of the strikers and the coverage of the midfield and we have only had 2 games but I feel more confident in the defense we have now including him than the one we had last year without him in the central position.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I am a bit torn on this.

So far I think he is doing well and there are examples of other DM's converting to center backs, like Mascherano (174cm/5' 8¨) and actually Daley's dad Danny(176cm/5'9¨) both of which have been very successful on the basis of intelligence and positioning instead of shear physical attributes. I think Daley has these 2 characteristics but the premier league is known for it's physicality as others have pointed out.

It's about the whole team defense though including the pressing of the strikers and the coverage of the midfield and we have only had 2 games but I feel more confident in the defense we have now including him than the one we had last year without him in the central position.
Ah, so he's actually taller than his Dad, that's reassuring. Anyone remember who partnered Danny Blind in defense for Ajax? I think it may have been Frank De Boer, not exactly a physical beast himself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Still very worried about his aerial ability - which isn't a problem when you've got Smalling next to you - but when he's partnered with any other of our CB's (none of which are great... or even good in the air) then there could be some issues.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I like that he is so composed on the ball as well - not quite Schweinsteiger level yet but then he is much younger

Shyftyy

Ah, so he's actually taller than his Dad, that's reassuring. Anyone remember who partnered Danny Blind in defense for Ajax? I think it may have been Frank De Boer, not exactly a physical beast himself.
It was Frank de Boer, yes and he was the same size as Daley(180cm/5'11¨). Coincidentally Frank started out a LB before being moved to CB ....by van Gaal.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
saw him play for Ajax v PSV in the CB position. he got absolutely beaten physically in a challenge for a bouncing ball prior to PSV scoring.

I like Blind a lot, but he's not a CB for me, at least not long term. He doesnt seem that strong arially or physically, which like it or not are crucial for the English game

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
I personally don't like the comparison with Mascherano because it's very different leagues. Had Mascherano done it in England as a CB I think it would be different but he didn't. Playing CB in a league that's technically better but not as fast or physical means his lack of height isn't exposed as much. Let's also not forget that Barca enjoy far more possession than we do so aren't under the cosh like we sometimes are.

The other difference in my eyes is that Mascherano is actually a physically strong player with a bit more pace. However I do think Blind is a better passer of the ball.

Time will tell if he's going to be a success. Maybe long term LVG doesn't see him as a CB anyway? Maybe he has plans to bring Rojo in or Jones? But it's been a very good and encouraging start for him. I certainly think he's eased some of our fears so far.

Devil may care

Which explains why players like Zaha make a mockery of the league.
Maybe but I am not arguing it as a pro or con, just like when it was said the English league is lagging behind due to certain mentalities, it's not about personal preference, simply about what we face in this league and how we have to equip the team to deal with those obstacles.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
You can really see the benefit of him when teams are pressing us and he calmly brings the ball out and plays a strong pass. For me, a huge aspect of playing good football is knowing when and where your team mates want it. Daley is competent left back and CM, he knows when not to play the ball.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Plenty of physical defenders concede a lot of goals because of poor positioning, a lack of intelligence or even just physically by an opponent forward (Nani vs Ivanovic, Aguero vs plenty of CB's). If Blind concedes less goals compared to real physical CB's because of more intelligence and a better positioning, then overall it's a contribution to the team and not necessarily a liability.

caid

People are forgetting that he's not going to be up against Aguero or Lukaku 1vs1 most the time. He'll have Smalling alongside him in addition to the protection of a much more beefed out midfield. This isnt the NBA.
Hit the nail on the head for me.
Smalling will sit on top of them and blind can sweep up any left overs.
If one is up against aguero then the other is going to be up against silva or someone like that anyway (who isn't particularly fast or strong but manages).

I'd probably play rojo but i'd be perfectly happy with blind from what i've seen so far.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's been great so far but he will get found out eventually, he certainly shouldn't be considered as a long term option for the position.

gza the genius

He'll be fine there most games, him going up against Aguero/Costa is a scary thought though. It helps that we finally have two really good fullbacks and that Smalling is starting to live up to his early promise. I just hope we can keep the fullbacks and Smalling fit.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He could easily do well on the whole in that role (rhyme intended, actually). Provided that our defence as such do well. He's a system player, if you will. At least in this context. I personally like him as a player generally too - he's got that understated/smart thing going. But as a CB he's clearly a system player.

If the system works, he'll do just fine. If he ever gets exposed against a certain kind of player, he'll look like he's utterly out of his depth, though. He'll be like Yoda stripped of the force.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
He broke trough as a rightback, played mostly as a leftback afterwards but also played CB and in his last season as CDM. In his youth days he was shoved around alot aswell so he's used to those 3 positions, they aren't new to him.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The panic that affected us regularly through the centre of defence and just in front last season has been mercifully absent thus far this season. Early days but Blind has been as big a contributor to this as anyone.

Rooney1987

He didn't have any defending to do because Villa had no one posing a threat to either of our centrebacks, and I didn't think he played well against Spurs, at all. Smalling did.

Two clean sheets without De Gea is a surprise considering, but it's too early to make a real judgement either way yet. I'd kind of let Blind off the Spurs game because there were others who played worse than him despite not being played in a new position.
I thought he was excellent against Spurs. Against Villa he was decent too - 11 clearances 3 interceptions 2 headed duels won 1 tackle won 61 passes with 95% pass accuracy.

Poor bugger's got Valenciaitis. Imagine having virtually your whole fan base urging you to make a mistake to justify their opinion of you.

Make no mistake, he's going to get blamed for something that really isn't real his fault
Agreed. You can feel it already people wanting him to make a mistake. He already got blamed for the goals that were not his fault look at the PSG game. People are so obsessed with transfers and wanting a new CB. Blind played at CB for Holland during World Cup and was good then. He made 1 or 2 mistakes against Club America but other then that was good (great against Barca) in the other pre season games. Simple fact is he has been good and the only excuse I see is "yeah well Kane was crap and Villa had 0 shots'.

RedMilo

Looked the weak link in the back 4 in pre-season and first game, he did have a substantially better game against villa but someone powerful and quick i.e. Lukaku/Costa and I think he will struggle at centre back.