g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Surprise at Blind playing well at centre half

marcomanmufc

Looked the weak link in the back 4 in pre-season and first game, he did have a substantially better game against villa but someone powerful and quick i.e. Lukaku/Costa and I think he will struggle at centre back.
Would tend to agree, but then i remember that was basically everyone's view when he played LB. All i heard was how Navas, Sterling, Willian, Townsend would tear him to shreds because he's slow, only to end up with them all in his pocket.

Its hard to see him as a CB, when we've been use to people who look like they just got out of jail, but he's left footed and knows how to read the game, which seems to be enough atm.

I too still have reservations about him vs the best strikers in the league, but that's how you're suppose to feel vs the best.

Personally i'm more worried about how poor Rooney looked on Friday.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I personally don't like the comparison with Mascherano because it's very different leagues. Had Mascherano done it in England as a CB I think it would be different but he didn't. Playing CB in a league that's technically better but not as fast or physical means his lack of height isn't exposed as much. Let's also not forget that Barca enjoy far more possession than we do so aren't under the cosh like we sometimes are.

The other difference in my eyes is that Mascherano is actually a physically strong player with a bit more pace. However I do think Blind is a better passer of the ball.

Time will tell if he's going to be a success. Maybe long term LVG doesn't see him as a CB anyway? Maybe he has plans to bring Rojo in or Jones? But it's been a very good and encouraging start for him. I certainly think he's eased some of our fears so far.
Really? Mascherano, much as I want to punt him in the ovaries, has faced plenty of teams in the CL with big, strong, pacy strikers (including plenty of English teams) and rarely come out badly.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Agreed. You can feel it already people wanting him to make a mistake. He already got blamed for the goals that were not his fault look at the PSG game. People are so obsessed with transfers and wanting a new CB. Blind played at CB for Holland during World Cup and was good then. He made 1 or 2 mistakes against Club America but other then that was good (great against Barca) in the other pre season games. Simple fact is he has been good and the only excuse I see is "yeah well Kane was crap and Villa had 0 shots'.
He still played the majority of the WC as LB and the few games he played CB it was as part of basically a five man defense line embedded in an already overall defensive tactical setup, which relied on pretty much only Robben´s genius going forward. This is simply not comparable to United´s setup with a higher positioned back line and one less player assigned for cover.

As for the "excuses" regarding the first two league fixtures: it is just really hard to deny that the back line of United wasn´t really challenged in both games. The game vs. Spurs was a pretty dire midfield brawl, which led to very little service for both ends on the pitch. The one time Tottenham could combine through the midfield Kane´s pass promptly sliced open your backline which led to Eriksen bottling the chance to put them one goal ahead. As for Aston Villa, they simply had next to no real threat in the offense. Ayew added a bit of pace which still led to no end product. This could be beautifully seen when Smalling planted a pretty easy pass directly into an Aston Villa player while the whole United formation switched to the offensive. A decent attacking side punishes you for that more often than not, with a really good team it is nearly a guarantuee. Villa completely wasted that opportunity.

It is unclear if Blind really works as CB in United´s system. I´m sceptical, not because of a lack a pace, because that can actually be compensated with good postioning, but because I don´t see the necessary aerial ability to work as central defender vs. top offenses. And for that it is actually not relevant if he plays top striker week in and out, no defender does that. However, you are back in the CL and want to take part in the title race. At one point you will run into a strong offense in a crucial game. And then the question is if you can put the trust in Blind as one of the two players to hold the line in the center. Like I said, I don´t see it, but maybe he proves me wrong.

SambaBoy

I don't mind him as back-up for the LCB position meaning we can move Evans on. In addition, Blind will get other games as he can cover for LB and CM as well. But going forward, it should be Smalling and Rojo as the main partnership and we can even strengthen on that IMO with an addition of a top LCB.

We dominated Spurs in terms of possession and Blind didn't have a great deal to do. In some parts, he gave away the ball or backed off Kane and allowed him to turn as he was too weak to apply enough pressure on him. With Villa, it was harder to judge as wasn't at the game and it's always a tougher job to judge on TV but again it didn't seem like Villa asked enough questions of him. I may be being harsh but I feel despite doing a decent job so far, he is going to cost us points further down the line and he will get found out.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought he was excellent against Spurs. Against Villa he was decent too - 11 clearances 3 interceptions 2 headed duels won 1 tackle won 61 passes with 95% pass accuracy.
He was a bit all over the place against Spurs. Part of the reason Smalling had such a good game is because he was having to cover for other people not doing their jobs...although Blind was no more culpable than Carrick. In fact probably less so.

He isn't THAT comfortable on the ball either, considering what people were saying about the reason he is back there.

I'm not for going by stats to try and prove players had good games. People used to do it all the time with Carrick when he played badly, then Kagawa, then Mata. I'd rather go by what I see and use the stats to just give a better idea of what went on in the game overall.

I didn't think he was bad against Villa though. I didn't think he did anything wrong that I can remember, it was just that Villa had pretty much no threat for him to deal with. Everything they did have came via the flanks, and Darmian and Shaw were mopping it all up with ease.

Revan

Assumptionman
saw him play for Ajax v PSV in the CB position. he got absolutely beaten physically in a challenge for a bouncing ball prior to PSV scoring.

I like Blind a lot, but he's not a CB for me, at least not long term. He doesnt seem that strong arially or physically, which like it or not are crucial for the English game
I think it depends on how we're playing. As long as we have good protection from midfield and play posession football, I think that Blind will do very good, regardless of the opponents for majority of time (obviously everyone has those bad games and also their nemesis like Evra with Lennon). On the other side, I think that he would get absolutely murdered if we don't have good protection and we defend deep, something that Sir Alex regularily did.

In this system, I think that Blind will keep his place even after Rojo returns. And rightly so!

Edit: him getting partnered with Smalling is a must IMO. If Smalling is out of the match, the Blind shouldn't start with Jones/Rojo. But him and Smalling complement each other well. Both read the game better than any other defender we have (by a significant distance) and while Blind is great at passing at interception but lacks pace and power, Smalling is a physical beast but not great at passing. Both have very good positioning.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think you're missing the point. I'm not suggesting he's guaranteed to be good there. I'm expressing surprise at people thinking he can't possibly be good there. Explain the reasons why he won't do as well as Mascherano does at CB.
because he's not playing in a team stacked with superb players, where he doesn't have to do much defending, in a weaker league?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
because he's not playing in a team stacked with superb players, where he doesn't have to do much defending, in a weaker league?
All centre backs have to defend plenty at the top level. Rubbish excuse. And La Liga has plenty of better teams than their English equivalent.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I think you're missing the point. I'm not suggesting he's guaranteed to be good there. I'm expressing surprise at people thinking he can't possibly be good there. Explain the reasons why he won't do as well as Mascherano does at CB.
Mascherano is much faster and stronger for one thing. He's just a much better player tbh. Carrick has been crap almost every time he's played CB and Blind is a lot more similar to Carrick than mascherano. Blind would be a massive liability against a striker with real pace or power.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All centre backs have to defend plenty at the top level. Rubbish excuse. And La Liga has plenty of better teams than their English equivalent.
teams facing Messi and co will have a lot less time attacking. I don't think that's much of an argument.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Really? Mascherano, much as I want to punt him in the ovaries, has faced plenty of teams in the CL with big, strong, pacy strikers (including plenty of English teams) and rarely come out badly.
It's a fair point... But I don't think you can push around Mascherano as much as they will be able to with Blind.

Mascherano is much faster and stronger for one thing. He's just a much better player tbh. Carrick has been crap almost every time he's played CB and Blind is a lot more similar to Carrick than mascherano. Blind would be a massive liability against a striker with real pace or power.
Precisely the point I'm trying to make! Now... Maybe a big reason is down to experience and Mascherano is now a well established CB? But Blind isn't and I don't think we can realistically challenge for the title with him. But I really hope I'm wrong and he continues to surprise us all.

The reason he worked well at the world cup was because he played as part of a 5. He was therefore able to play as the ball playing CB.

IwatUwat

I think as he showed he was so good at LB last yr, by far our best LB last year. It isn't overly surprising he can convert to CB, think he'd look worse next to someone like Jones due to him being a bit more rash than Smalling. But it doesnt hugely surprise me, although put him against a tall striker and we will see his CB skills tested a bit. Also he's not the quickest so that could be a challenge going forward. But he's played here before for both Holland and Ajax and us last yr when required so doesnt hugely surprise me.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
His conversion makes a lot of sense, really.

Not quite flashy enough in midfield, not quite fast enough at FB, a bit less space to cover vs DM means his average speed is mitigated.

If you were training for a future as q CB, some time in midfield and at full back would be very helpful in learning what sort of passes and movement to expect of your own MFs and FBs.

OneUnited24

Im not saying hes a brilliant CB but he offers us that extra midfielder when we attack and that pass was :drool:

Wittmann45

Helped by the solidity provided by Smalling. He has been good tonight, but he has also been caught completely out of position within the midfield (natural tendency I guess) that hasn't been punished because of Smalling's position and recovery speed. Great pass though

prath92

Helped by the solidity provided by Smalling. He has been good tonight, but he has also been caught completely out of position within the midfield (natural tendency I guess) that hasn't been punished because of Smalling's position and recovery speed. Great pass though
I think that is why it will be a good partnership. Smalling is very good at the 1v1 stuff and blind will mop up and start the attack from the back. That's the plan

MDFC Manager

I'm just about beginning to see the sense with this decision now. Still early days though, but who knows. Maybe instead of being exposed in the future, the partnership will get even better?

krazyrobus

I'll hold my hand up and say i fecked this one up. Even though it's early days he and Smalling have been on beast mode, not been bullied, not being outpaced, won most of their battles with ease and Blind can pass out of defense! Hummells who?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
He compliments Smalling really well. Bigger tests ahead though!

Ixion

I think he and Smalling would be even better if they had the reassurance of DDG behind them.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Smalling is a beast but Daley is the leader the back. Constantly shouting, pointing and leading the line. Never breaks absolute concentration. I'd take that over any CB's pace or height. He's as tall as Beckenbauer, by the way. Just saying ;).

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Still far too early to judge. If it works out over a long period of time? Then that well be very Sir Alex like. There are tougher tests to come though. Having said that, I think cutting that silly pony tail off makes me like him more so hopefully over a season, we can look back and say it worked. Then next summer, the question becomes do we need a new defender? And we'll see how many smug gits stay loyal to our Blind :)

Empire

I'm glad he's doing well, said at the beginning Louis must have seen something and we should trust his judgement enough to give him a chance but I also think the partnership between Blind and Smalling has been fantastic, I wonder how he would have looked with Jones alongside him, while Jones is a good defender he is more aggressive.

I'm happy we now know what Blind can do at centre back, with Jones next to him as it seemed was originally planned i'm not sure if we'd be praising either of them, obviously both are good in the position but complimenting each other is important, I am curious though why Louis van Gaal wanted Jones initially, he obviously thinks that will work too.

I feel Blind, Rojo and Jones partner well with Smalling.

JackXX

Very good again. He will be fine in the majority of games if he keeps this up in my opinion.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Called it. So far he's been fantastic. Great to have a ball playing CB. Assist tonight and looked like a cultured CB that's been plying his trade for years.

I'll be content to carry on with the season with him next to Smalls*.

*New nickname. Trying it out.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very interested to see him up against some solid opposition, but the guy is such an intelligent player. Doing well so far.

cyberman

I just wish Neville wouldn't have said what he said.
People have their preconceived notions about our defence and will jump over any mistake we make.
Look at tonight, our defense was fantastic, going forward and working back yet a freak own goal and a keeper brain fart have brought out the idea that we're somehow winging it.
Football365 have an article up right after the match armed full of counter stats about how we concede more chances etc, why Gary is wrong.
Does anybody think they researched those stats within the 10 mins between the game ending and posting the article? They sat on that article waiting for the first goal to be conceded by United and worked it into a puff piece.
That's how it's gonna be. No leaders at the back etc

carlosp

Excellent today. Just behind Memphis for my MotM and just ahead of Smalling. The amount of balls he intercepted, blocked, stole etc. was excellent and he got an assist. Smalling got a yellow so falls just behind Blind on my MotM list.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Called it. So far he's been fantastic. Great to have a ball playing CB. Assist tonight and looked like a cultured CB that's been plying his trade for years.

I'll be content to carry on with the season with him next to Smalls*.

*New nickname. Trying it out.
Not going to displace Mike though, is it?

Love Blind. One of my favourite players last year and I'm desperate for him to continue being successful at CB.

vodrake

Yeah, but he's definitely going to get found out next match. Or maybe the match after that.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Very surprised when he muscled that big CF off the ball near the end!
Yeah what happened there? I was sure Blind would be outpaced or outmuscled but he just took the ball and turned around with it after getting the striker out of the way.

hbgreg

There were a few times where I thought "here comes the Cafe" but he shrugged those moments away.