• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Pat_Mustard/Sjor Bepo

Formation: 4-3-3

Arturo Vidal replaces the underappreciated Tugay in midfield for this match, and ushers in a change of emphasis stylistically. The box-to-box heavyweight allows us to adopt an aggressive counter-pressing style out of possession, and a quicker tempo to our attacking game. Complemented by Redondo’s superlative technique and reading of the game at the heart of midfield, and Gascoigne’s dynamism and thrust slightly further forward, they’ll form an imposing three man midfield. With Viva/Edgar looking set to sacrifice numbers in the middle in favour of (admittedly excellent) attacking width, Redondo/Vidal/Gascoigne should enable us to establish a decisive level of control over the match.

Our attackers have the dynamism and workrate to support our aggressive pressing strategy, with Villa in particular having impeccable pedigree after excelling in one of the most demanding pressing systems of all. Moreover, with two brilliant finishers in Villa and Larsson and the outstanding winger on the pitch in Figo, they’ll provide a deadly cutting edge to our attacks.

We’ve shifted the defensive line back a few yards compared to our last match but it’ll still be moderately high, dropping back further if our initial press to regain possession fails. Ferrara organises the defence again, and his partner Boli should be in his element here engaging in a bruising physical duel with Shearer.

VivaJanuzaj/EAP

Formation & Strategy:
Counter Attacking 4-4-2. Defend through the middle and counter-attack through the flanks.

Midfield battle:
Redondo-Vidal-Gazza is a very creative midfield, but in Cambiasso and Effenberg we have two very hardworking and tactically intelligent midfielder who will sheild our defence when out of possession. Both have good vision and passing range to be able to start counters and push balls out to flanks when we have possession. I'd expect his creative players to be playing in a crowded area in front of our defence with far less space to operate in which works in our favour.

Defence:
Abidal in his prime was a quick and tenacious defender. Comfortable as a Centreback too, he's perfectly placed to face Figo. Our counter attacking strategy will be opted to try and minimize the gaps for Figo to exploit. By defending through the middle, Cambiasso will alway be on hand for support when opponent has possession. Villa is more an inside forward than a classic winger. He squares off against Lahm, who himself having operated as a DM is well qualified to track him when he drifts inside.

Chiellini-Pepe are two of the best defenders of current era. A tenacious, tough tackling duo, they should be able to hold the line against Larsson.

Attack:
Lahm/Overmars is one of the best flanks in this draft, imo. I also rate Pires as a better player than Petrescu. I expect Pires/Suarez to be similar to Pires/Henry partnership that set blazes at Arsenal. Both fullbacks will need support against our wings and while Figo can put a shift defensively, it will take a lot of firepower from their attacking threat, and Villa won't be helping much.

Shearer circa 1996 was a monster. 31 goals in 35 League games, 8 goals in 9 International games, Golden Foot in Europa 1996, 3rd in Balon d'Or...at this form, he's clearly couple of levels ahead of Boli.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Shearer circa 1996 was a monster. 31 goals in 35 League games, 8 goals in 9 International games, Golden Foot in Europa 1996, 3rd in Balon d'Or...at this form, he's clearly couple of levels ahead of Boli.
I am a little bit concerned about Boli, but he matches up well to Shearer in this encounter. His raw power, aerial ability and strength would square up well to him.

VivaJanuzaj

I am a little bit concerned about Boli, but he matches up well to Shearer in this encounter. His raw power, aerial ability and strength would square up well to him.
Seems a bit much for him to deal considering the wide support and crossing to Shearer. Throughout a full game he will definitely struggle

VivaJanuzaj

Anyone to argue anything might help this game atm.

I can't see where goals will come for Pat here really. With the team sitting deep Chiellini & Pepe are well suited to handle Larrson, Lahm will be able to do as good a job as you'd hope for on Villa and Abidal(with Pires tracking back) to limit space for Figo. Effenberg-Cambiasso are also very capable on sitting deep and soak pressure and shield that defence

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Exactly, easily a tier or two above Larrsson(whom I adore), and a level above Villa too imo.
I dont know, either you are vastly overrating Shearer, underrating Villa and Larsson or im doing the opposite....in my book its questionable if there is anything between Shearer and Larsson let alone few tiers of players and id have Villa ahead of both in terms of quality.

As i said in previous game of yours, love the 442 that you built and its a brilliant effort. One thing i didnt like it in your last game was fullback - winger suitability. It would be much better if you swapped partners(like you originally had, but then you have Pires on the weaker side). After reinforcement round i have one more thing i dont like, you had a better CB duo in your last game IMO
I dont rate Chiellini + Hyypia style was much more suited to Pepe then the italians, both are way to rush and i dont like 2 stoppers as a pair. That will certainly be an issue when you take in mind the quality of movement our strikeforce has, both Larsson and Villa are in the highest possible tier when it comes down to the movement in the final third.
Why i think we would win its the midfield, our trio would be to much for most 3 man midfields let alone for a midfield two no matter how good they are and i love your pair, specially Cambiasso who is still a very underrated player.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll start it off. To me the game is really, really, close. Very fine margins. I agree with Edgar Shearer on Boli is a definite advantage. I rate Shearer a lot. At his peak there are few strikers you could upgrade on. Very complete player who is also a terrific finisher.

IMO Edgar/Viva have the better striker duo, IMO final ready.

Figo on Abidal I can see causing a lot of problems and where I can see an advantage for Pat at the moment is the midfield. Redondo/Vidal is a droolworthy partnership and with Figo on the right gets my vote at the time.

I'd rate both defences about equal.

Will see how injuries would hurt both sides as for me it's really tight.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Anyone to argue anything might help this game atm.

I can't see where goals will come for Pat here really. With the team sitting deep Chiellini & Pepe are well suited to handle Larrson, Lahm will be able to do as good a job as you'd hope for on Villa and Abidal(with Pires tracking back) to limit space for Figo. Effenberg-Cambiasso are also very capable on sitting deep and soak pressure and shield that defence
Here's a visual cue ;)

Villa is one of the absolute best goalscorers in the draft and he's proved his big-match pedigree time and again. Top scorer when winning Euro 08, joint 2nd top scorer when winning WC 10, and prolific at club level. Here he's supported by the free-scoring Larsson and up against Chielini and Pepe - not a particularly complementary partnership, and not first-rate individually either. We've got brilliant creativity from Redondo, Gazza and Figo, and we should control the game versus your two man central midfield. We have good secondary goal threats from Gazza,Vidal and Figo. I can't see you keeping a clean sheet here, at all.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Pat has the better midfield. EAP/Viva win the attack vs. defence comparisons.

Haven't had time to look any deeper.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Have to say, Shearer gets perpetually shoe-horned into 4-2-3-1 so it's refreshing to see him i his element and properly serviced, for once.

Pat_Mustard

Have to say, Shearer gets perpetually shoe-horned into 4-2-3-1 so it's refreshing to see him i his element and properly serviced, for once.
Aye, I've got to admit that its right to see him in a 4-4-2 for a change, especially with a top partner.

I question how much of the ball he's really going to see though. We're going to dominate possession here, particularly with Viva/Edgar sitting deep, and I think we're well set up to execute our pressing tactics to win the ball back quickly. Overmars is their standout threat on the counter, yet he's up against Cashley who matches up well against him in terms of athletic attributes and overall quality. Similarly, Shearer himself won't have an easy time at all against Boli when it comes to winning the aerial duels, holding him off with his back to goal etc.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I can't see where goals will come for Pat here really.
Larsson is the most prolific striker on the pitch (only 30 footballers in history scored more goals in official games than him), Villa scored lots and the likes of Gazza, Figo and Vidal are all considerable goalscoring threats. Your defence is quite good, but it's far from completely nullifying Pat's attacking unit.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Figo on Abidal I can see causing a lot of problems and where I can see an advantage for Pat at the moment is the midfield. Redondo/Vidal is a droolworthy partnership and with Figo on the right gets my vote at the time.
It's not that big of a gap. We are playing a counter attacking strategy and Abidal is a defensive fullback imo. Here against Figo he has the comfort of having operated as CB and will deny him time and space on the ball. And there always is Cambiasso. Excellent player and the motor behind that Inter team. One of the best DM's and his offensive abilities are very underrated.

I question how much of the ball he's really going to see though. We're going to dominate possession here, particularly with Viva/Edgar sitting deep, and I think we're well set up to execute our pressing tactics to win the ball back quickly. Overmars is their standout threat on the counter, yet he's up against Cashley who matches up well against him in terms of athletic attributes and overall quality. Similarly, Shearer himself won't have an easy time at all against Boli when it comes to winning the aerial duels, holding him off with his back to goal etc.
I certainly don't see you shutting us down wide. If it's going to be Overmars and Cole going head to head all match, I can definitely see Overmars getting the better overall, Cole doesn't have any support up the field. Plus you are forgetting the attacking output of Lahm, a GOAT and the best fullback in this game!

Pires-Suarez will be similar to Pires-Henry during their Arsenal peak. With us already having an advantage in Shearer vs Boli, we'll score multiple times imo.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Biggest mismatches of the game:

Lahm + Overmars vs Cashley Cole will be wide open in our favour. Villa will not be of any use defensively.
Shearer vs Boli is also skewed to our favour.

His team's strength is mostly through the middle with only Figo offering any width. Our core is superstrong behind Cambiasso/Effenberg. We are better placed to stop him than he us.

Pat_Mustard

Biggest mismatches of the game:

Lahm + Overmars vs Cashley Cole will be wide open in our favour. Villa will not be of any use defensively.
Shearer vs Boli is also skewed to our favour.

His team's strength is mostly through the middle with only Figo offering any width. Our core is superstrong behind Cambiasso/Effenberg. We are better placed to stop him than he us.
Really? His off the ball workrate was superb, and one of the reasons Pep loved him so much. He'll offer more support defensively than Robert Pires will. Given that we'll dominate possession, Figo vs Abidal with Petrescu in support will be more dangerous than Overmars here. Figo's the better player and he'll have more of the ball.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Really? His off the ball workrate was superb, and one of the reasons Pep loved him so much. He'll offer more support defensively than Robert Pires will. Given that we'll dominate possession, Figo vs Abidal with Petrescu in support will be more dangerous than Overmars here. Figo's the better player and he'll have more of the ball.
Not with Cambiasso there. The more Petrescu pushes up, the more open you are to our counter and we're deadly. Esp with Suarez occupying Ferrera, Shearer will definitely score against Boli.

Anyways Lahm/Overmars will be the winning combo in that flank all match.

Pat_Mustard

Not with Cambiasso there. The more Petrescu pushes up, the more open you are to our counter and we're deadly. Esp with Suarez occupying Ferrera, Shearer will definitely score against Boli.

Anyways Lahm/Overmars will be the winning combo in that flank all match.
That's a dangerous strategy.

You're already outnumbered in central midfield, you've already conceded the possession battle, and now you're instructing your DM to put out fires on our right wing? It might be okay if we didn't have such creativity elsewhere, but Gazza is well capable of tearing you open through the centre if you allow your defensive shape to be compromised like that. Not to mention that in Villa we have a proven master at penetrating deep-lying defences.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's a dangerous strategy.

You're already outnumbered in central midfield, you've already conceded the possession battle, and now you're instructing your DM to put out fires on our right wing? It might be okay if we didn't have such creativity elsewhere, but Gazza is well capable of tearing you open through the centre if you allow your defensive shape to be compromised like that. Not to mention that in Villa we have a proven master at penetrating deep-lying defences.
Cambiasso will note be drifting wide. Abidal is capable at LB and CB to keep track of Figo. If Figo gets anywhere near the box, Cambiasso will always be there for support.

Pires-Suarez, Lahm-Overmars, Shearer-Boli...we hold enough advantages to win the match.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Cambiasso will be be drifting wide. Abidal is capable at LB and CB to keep track of Figo. If Figo gets anywhere near the box, Cambiasso will always be there for support.

Pires-Suarez, Lahm-Overmars, Shearer-Boli...we hold enough advantages to win the match.
Fair enough, although Figo is just as great attacking the byline and Larsson is one of the best headers of the ball around.

The biggest advantage on the pitch is in midfield. Cambiasso and Effenberg are not only outnumbered but up against exceptionally good opponents in Redondo/Vidal/Gascoigne. You'll struggle to gain a foothold in this match, and our creative players will see much more of the ball.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Fair enough, although Figo is just as great attacking the byline and Larsson is one of the best headers of the ball around.

The biggest advantage on the pitch is in midfield. Cambiasso and Effenberg are not only outnumbered but up against exceptionally good opponents in Redondo/Vidal/Gascoigne. You'll struggle to gain a foothold in this match, and our creative players will see much more of the ball.
Shearer is no slouch either. Brilliant header and we have both Pires and Overmars plus Lahm ofc capable of providing crosses consistently.

I agree that you have strength in numbers in the middle. But that just means we have numbers out wide. It really is a tactical battle, but the real advantage is that we have 2 DMs to counter your central threat...all the while having direct access to your defenders all game. You're really vulnerable on the counter.

Neither Vidal nor Redondo are especially fast and played against someone as quick as Pires and overmars from wide they'll be insufficient cover. We'll run directly against your fullbacks all game and that is a very big advantage imo.