Surveillance Draft - QF - Pat_Mustard/Sjor Bepo vs VivaJanuzaj/EAP

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Neither Vidal nor Redondo are especially fast and played against someone as quick as Pires and overmars from wide they'll be insufficient cover. We'll run directly against your fullbacks all game and that is a very big advantage imo.
I mean sorry but wtf? Quickness of Pires!? Vidal is no Usain Bolt but his mobility and energy is one of the reasons why he is so special, he is faster then fecking Pires thats for sure! Didnt mean to post anything and will leave Pat lead the discussion from our side but i couldnt resist on this one....first Shearer is few tiers ahead of Larsson and whole tier above Villa and now Pires turned into a speed demon...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That's a dangerous strategy.

You're already outnumbered in central midfield, you've already conceded the possession battle, and now you're instructing your DM to put out fires on our right wing? It might be okay if we didn't have such creativity elsewhere, but Gazza is well capable of tearing you open through the centre if you allow your defensive shape to be compromised like that. Not to mention that in Villa we have a proven master at penetrating deep-lying defences.
TBH, it's your biggest draw IMO. There's a lot of battles with fine margins and then Gazza rampaging around all on his own.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
TBH, it's your biggest draw IMO. There's a lot of battles with fine margins and then Gazza rampaging around all on his own.
He honestly seems like the likeliest matchwinner to me here. Both sets of strikers are well capable of hurting the respective CB pairings and the winger vs full back duels should be fairly nip and tuck too, although Figo will see most of the ball. There's no particularly plausible plan for stopping Gascoigne though.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Vidal is no Usain Bolt but his mobility and energy is one of the reasons why he is so special, he is faster then fecking Pires thats for sure!
Never questioned or even mentioned his workrate. Vidal will not be tracking Pires out wide, so the only question is will he get back in time to defend against our counter. Imo, Pires is definitely faster than Vidal.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's not that big of a gap. We are playing a counter attacking strategy and Abidal is a defensive fullback imo. Here against Figo he has the comfort of having operated as CB and will deny him time and space on the ball. And there always is Cambiasso. Excellent player and the motor behind that Inter team. One of the best DM's and his offensive abilities are very underrated.
I rate Abidal but Figo will get the better of him. He's the best winger in the draft and can do damage against Abidal. As others mentioned I see Cambiasso heavily involved in the midfield battle to provide the cover you mentioned.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pat has the better midfield. EAP/Viva win the attack vs. defence comparisons.

Haven't had time to look any deeper.
Do you rate EAP/Viva defence as better individually or having in mind who they are up against?

SirScholes

Vidal figo redondo is fantastic and Gazza was potentially one of the best in his position and unplayable. Underrated in drafts

Deleted member 101472

I mean sorry but wtf? Quickness of Pires!? Vidal is no Usain Bolt but his mobility and energy is one of the reasons why he is so special, he is faster then fecking Pires thats for sure! Didnt mean to post anything and will leave Pat lead the discussion from our side but i couldnt resist on this one....first Shearer is few tiers ahead of Larsson and whole tier above Villa and now Pires turned into a speed demon...
Just reading this, shearer two tiers above larsson?

Šjor Bepo

Never questioned or even mentioned his workrate. Vidal will not be tracking Pires out wide, so the only question is will he get back in time to defend against our counter. Imo, Pires is definitely faster than Vidal.
I expressed myself poorly, what i wanted to say he is quick(for a midfielder) over the first few yards(thats why he is so good at pressing) and has decent speed on long distance. I wouldnt bet against him in a race with Pires whos natural game is to go inside so there would be plenty of confrontations with Vidal, specially at defending counters where Vidal is a massive asset for us.
@DavidG viva said it on the first page.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I rate Abidal but Figo will get the better of him. He's the best winger in the draft and can do damage against Abidal. As others mentioned I see Cambiasso heavily involved in the midfield battle to provide the cover you mentioned.
Gazza is in between Cambiasso and Effenberg. Being a DM he'll naturally support when Figo gets in the box...and yes I do accept Abidal will not take out Figo we've not claimed anything like that. But when they press centrally or Figo move in centrally, we'll have that covered.

Deleted member 101472

Exactly, easily a tier or two above Larrsson(whom I adore), and a level above Villa too imo.
The word easily here is insulting viva. They are in the same tier and the difference is marginal.

Enigma_87

You know who
Gazza is in between Cambiasso and Effenberg. Being a DM he'll naturally support when Figo gets in the box...and yes I do accept Abidal will not take out Figo we've not claimed anything like that. But when they press centrally or Figo move in centrally, we'll have that covered.
I can see Pat/Sjor having most of the ball and Vidal would push forward which IMO will engage both Cambiasso and Effenberg to cover him and Gascoigne. Pires IMO should be the one covering defensively in that 4-4-2.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So Cambiasso and Effenberg are dealing with Gazza. Plus they are dealing with Figo when he moves centrally. Well, sounds like a nice plan, it only leaves Redondo and Vidal unattended.

To be fair I can't say that I rate Pires or Chiellini that highly, a personal preference if you wish, but it's mostly the discussion that sealed my decision. Shearer/Larsson comparison, "can't see where the goals come", Pires helping out and Villa being a passenger etc.

Somehow Abidal is perfectly placed to deal with Figo in a counter-attacking system, where he 1. minimizes the gaps in the defence 2. at the same time denies him time on the ball. I'm confused - is he playing proactive role and presses Figo or is he staying at the back, closing the gaps (which allows Figo to cross/pass the ball from the deep in which he excells)? Pires won't be helping him much here, imo.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
You should have picked Shevchenko (free agent now) IMO
Yeah, we gave serious consdieration to Sheava. After Raul-Sheva discussions last match, we were unsure on Suarez-Sheva would turn out to be. Anyway, we had to choose backup for our forwards and wingers with our 2nd pick. We chose Boban as he can cover our wingers and midfielders both and gambled on Forward for later rounds, if we get though.

So Cambiasso and Effenberg are dealing with Gazza. Plus they are dealing with Figo when he moves centrally. Well, sounds like a nice plan, it only leaves Redondo and Vidal unattended.

To be fair I can't say that I rate Pires or Chiellini that highly, a personal preference if you wish, but it's mostly the discussion that sealed my decision. Shearer/Larsson comparison, "can't see where the goals come", Pires helping out and Villa being a passenger etc.

Somehow Abidal is perfectly placed to deal with Figo in a counter-attacking system, where he 1. minimizes the gaps in the defence 2. at the same time denies him time on the ball. I'm confused - is he playing proactive role and presses Figo or is he staying at the back, closing the gaps (which allows Figo to cross/pass the ball from the deep in which he excells)? Pires won't be helping him much here, imo.
There is no man marking here and only one ball in the game. If Figo has it, Cambiasso will drop back to cut passing routes to Gazza. If Gazza has the ball he and Effenberg will be there to tackle and regain possession. It's never an either/or scenario. I was just describing 2 different scenarios.

Abidal is a fullback, so he'll be on Figo when he gets the ball. The can play as CB is just an added facet to this game. We are playing a counter attacking setup (ahd with Pires ahead), so there will not be spaces behind Abidal for Figo to exploit.

I can understand your preference on Chiellini and Pires, but if you look at the game overall, both biggest mismatches (Shearer vs Boli and Lahm/Overmars vs Cole) are both in our favour. Yeah, he'll score...but we'll score more.

Deleted member 101472

Oh, come on. Shearer is definitely better. 3rd in Balon d'Or!
Shearer best premier league season wouldn't even qualify him to beat larssons European golden shoe best, and that was with the Scottish league handicapped (rightfully so) at 1.5 points per goal to shearer a 2.0 ( larsson won it with 52.5 points in 2000/2001)

You saw the impact he made at Barcelona and old Trafford. He was in a uefa team of the tournament too. Oh and he's the uefa cups all time highest scorer as things stand.

Celtic were a bit stronger back then and could have conceivably Performed well in the premier league. to see him live so many times, you'd understand just how good he was and why so many of his teammates rated him so highly. Two levels below shearer is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in any of these drafts.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I expressed myself poorly, what i wanted to say he is quick(for a midfielder) over the first few yards(thats why he is so good at pressing) and has decent speed on long distance. I wouldnt bet against him in a race with Pires whos natural game is to go inside so there would be plenty of confrontations with Vidal, specially at defending counters where Vidal is a massive asset for us.
@DavidG viva said it on the first page.
Fair enough. It was my opinion that Pires has enough pace to beat retreating Vidal on the counter.

Enigma_87

You know who
Shearer best premier league season wouldn't even qualify him to beat larssons European golden shoe best, and that was with the Scottish league handicapped (rightfully so) at 1.5 points per goal to shearer a 2.0 ( larsson won it with 52.5 points in 2000/2001)

You saw the impact he made at Barcelona and old Trafford. He was in a uefa team of the tournament too. Oh and he's the uefa cups all time highest scorer as things stand.

Celtic were a bit stronger back then and could have conceivably Performed well in the premier league. to see him live so many times, you'd understand just how good he was and why so many of his teammates rated him so highly. Two levels below shearer is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in any of these drafts.
Larsson was excellent and a bit underrated in historical sense since he played in Scotland, but having seen both I'll always take Shearer over him and IMO he's a level above.

Shearer was something else. In his pump before the injuries he was a complete striker that can score out of nowhere. Always threatening and rapid as feck.

I doubt anyone would better the all time scoring record in Prem and 94-98 he hit like 120 goals in 4 season.

Not to underrate Larsson scoring rate but I remember Hartson in Prem only capable of hitting past 10 goals in a season once in like 10 years in his 20's then at 35 hitting 25 in the Scottish league for Celtic during Larsson best years.

IMO Shearer is underrated a bit due to playing for Newcastle and not having the opportunity to play in CL during his peak. In this draft he's easily top 5 striker and I'd say pretty much final ready.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lloris is a bit underwhelming in this tight game. As we've seen that a superb Gk is as important as having a superb defender.

harms

Staff
Yeah, we gave serious consdieration to Sheava. After Raul-Sheva discussions last match, we were unsure on Suarez-Sheva would turn out to be. Anyway, we had to choose backup for our forwards and wingers with our 2nd pick. We chose Boban as he can cover our wingers and midfielders both and gambled on Forward for later rounds, if we get though.
Shearer - Suarez is definitely better for a 4-4-2 than Suarez and Sheva. And it's debatable who is the better player out of Sheva and Suarez, even though I know who I'd pick every time (more to do with bias that the actual difference in quality though)

Abidal is a fullback, so he'll be on Figo when he gets the ball. The can play as CB is just an added facet to this game. We are playing a counter attacking setup (ahd with Pires ahead), so there will not be spaces behind Abidal for Figo to exploit.
I still don't get it. You are playing a counter attacking set-up and there is no space behind Abidal? But that means that he isn't on Figo when Figo gets the ball (around the half line, I would imagine). That means that Figo gets the ball, goes forward, reaching full speed, with an option to make an early cross, and only then Abidal meets him.

Or Abidal goes further forward but there is a free space behind him - and while Chiellini is a good tactical fit, I don't rate him, especially against the technical players (there is no question about his outstanding physical qualities) such as Figo or Gazza who can occupy the free space Abidal left behind

And I don't think that Overmars - Cole is a mismatch. Agree on Shearer - Boli, of course, but even with the obvious gap in quality, stylistically Boli is a good fit for him, which will negate that advantage a bit.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I still don't get it. You are playing a counter attacking set-up and there is no space behind Abidal? But that means that he isn't on Figo when Figo gets the ball (around the half line, I would imagine). That means that Figo gets the ball, goes forward, reaching full speed, with an option to make an early cross, and only then Abidal meets him.

Or Abidal goes further forward but there is a free space behind him - and while Chiellini is a good tactical fit, I don't rate him, especially against the technical players (there is no question about his outstanding physical qualities) such as Figo or Gazza who can occupy the free space Abidal left behind
Point being Abidal does not need to venture too far out with Pires and Suarez ahead of him. He'll do just enough with Figo remaining his priority (no man-marking). I consider Lahm/Overmars flank to be more productive in this regard.

Pat_Mustard

Point being Abidal does not need to venture too far out with Pires and Suarez ahead of him. He'll do just enough with Figo remaining his priority (no man-marking). I consider Lahm/Overmars flank to be more productive in this regard.
Pires won't be too effective picking Figo up, and I'd take Suarez dropping that deep to help win the ball back all day long as he's in a much less effective position to contribute to your counters.

NoPace

He honestly seems like the likeliest matchwinner to me here. Both sets of strikers are well capable of hurting the respective CB pairings and the winger vs full back duels should be fairly nip and tuck too, although Figo will see most of the ball. There's no particularly plausible plan for stopping Gascoigne though.
Suarez finding second balls off of Shearer like a smarter, more skillful Bellamy seems a direct route too. His anticipation is incredible. Also when Suarez goes wide and the FBs are on the wingers, I could see him megging Boli or Ferrara and causing havoc.

I am surprised people think Abidal would shut down Figo. I love Abidal, but prime Figo was maybe the best player in the world., and he has Larsson, Villa, Gascoigne and Vidal as targets for a cross or through ball, and all but Gascoigne had brilliant movement.

I think this is a high-scoring match, just can't decide for who.

harms

Staff
I like the Boban substitution, and Senna isn't a bad fit here either. Not enough to change my vote though :(

Šjor Bepo

Thats a very defensive midfield pair which will leave plenty of space and time for our midfielders to help out around Suarez, Overmars and Boban.

Pat_Mustard

Suarez finding second balls off of Shearer like a smarter, more skillful Bellamy seems a direct route too. His anticipation is incredible. Also when Suarez goes wide and the FBs are on the wingers, I could see him megging Boli or Ferrara and causing havoc.

I am surprised people think Abidal would shut down Figo. I love Abidal, but prime Figo was maybe the best player in the world., and he has Larsson, Villa, Gascoigne and Vidal as targets for a cross or through ball, and all but Gascoigne had brilliant movement.

I think this is a high-scoring match, just can't decide for who.
Good post and I don't disagree with much really. I would say that Boli was an uber-aggressive aerial monster so he'll be effective at contesting the inital balls with Shearer. Sheraer/Suarez is an excellent, complementary patnership up front though, not denying that at all. As for Gascoigne, he was rather good at arriving late to find space in the penalty area off the ball, but even moreso at just bulldozing his way in there from midfield:

Pat_Mustard

I like the Boban substitution, and Senna isn't a bad fit here either. Not enough to change my vote though :(
Agreed that the Boban sub might help them gain more of a foothold in midfield. Senna is very good in terms of ball recovery so that's not a big downgrade from Effenberg, but Effenberg's superb range of passing (which Viva/Egar seemed to underestimate themselves) is a big loss for a team playing on the counter. Effenberg finding one of the wide men or attackers with a long range pass was a concern, with Senna not so much.

harms

Staff
Don't you think Lahm/Overmars and Shearer vs Boli are more direct advantages than Figo?
Lahm/Overmars (who aren't a pair anymore) are facing Cole - probably the best defensive left back in the pool (edit - yeah, quite obviously not). Redondo isn't Davids but (like Lahm himself) his physical limitations are well compensated by his understanding of the game.

Like I said earlier, Shearer has a clear edge over Boli and Suarez will probably score after those two clash in the air, but stylistically he is a great fit, which makes the gap smaller than it is on paper.

Figo is the best player on the pitch, and he has enough freedom to do what he likes. While Abidal isn't a perfect fit for a counter-attacking system, and his ability to tuck in won't be a big advantage for him here

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Boli seems to be getting quite a raw deal here again, so its worth pointing out that he kept a clean sheet in two CL finals, versus the likes of Savicevic and Pancev in 1991 vs Red Star Belgrade, and Van Basten's Milan in 1993. He also found time to score the winner in 1993, rising above Frank Rijkaard:

He's one of the better fits in the pool to deal with a powerhouse like Shearer, and he's been somewhat dismissed two matches in a row without anyone actually finding anything that blots his copy book.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Lahm/Overmars (who aren't a pair anymore) are facing Cole - probably the best defensive left back in the pool.
You can't actually believe Cole is a better defensive left back than Maldini.