Surveillance Draft - QF - Pat_Mustard/Sjor Bepo vs VivaJanuzaj/EAP

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Boli seems to be getting quite a raw deal here again, so its worth pointing out that he kept a clean sheet in two CL finals, versus the likes of Savicevic and Pancev in 1991 vs Red Star Belgrade, and Van Basten's Milan in 1993. He also found time to score the winner in 1993, rising above Frank Rijkaard:
Probably unfair that my first memory of him is this :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Point being Abidal does not need to venture too far out with Pires and Suarez ahead of him. He'll do just enough with Figo remaining his priority (no man-marking). I consider Lahm/Overmars flank to be more productive in this regard.
Very tasty. What it made me wonder about though was the relative positions of Suárez and Shearer.

With that being your focal point for breakthroughs, you'd want Suarez short for the cutback/low cross and Shearer far post, no?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Probably unfair that my first memory of him is this :lol:
Mine too :lol:. Here's Pearce's account of it:

How did you keep your cool after your infamous meeting with Basile Boli in Euro 92? Have you met him off the pitch?
Ian Harding, via e-mail
You just have to use things like that as a positive to spur you on. He headbutted me because I'd caught the fella I was marking – the winger – and Boli had seen it. It was a reaction to something I’d done. So I’ve gone down, maybe out of shock. It definitely wasn’t the blow that put me to the floor. It was more, "Hang on a minute."

You’d get crucified for saying it nowadays, but if a player headbutts you, common sense says go down, stay on the floor, they get a player sent off and on you go. People can't say it’s diving, not if someone headbutts you in the face and splits your chin open, know what I mean?

So I go on the floor, the referee doesn’t see it and I think, there’s no point lying on the floor any more. I’d better get up. So then I went over to the fella I was marking and said it was him that done it. Just to put him on the back foot. And he was busy for the next 20 minutes denying it was him and probably sh*tting himself a little� bit. So you use a negative as a positive to help your team. It was just one of those things.

The first question I was asked in the press conference was, “Were you headbutted?” and I said, “No, it was an innocent clash of heads,” because common sense told me that if I’d said it was deliberate, then the first thing they would have done was dig out all the footage of me over the years and I’d be crucified.

Boli faxed me at the hotel where we were staying afterwards and said, “Thanks for your sportsmanship,” because he realised that if I’d made a meal of it he’d be in the sh*t. But I’m of the philosophy that whatever happens on the football pitch stays there. That’s the way I’ve always lived my life and the way I’ve played the game. And no, I’ve never met him since.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Redondo isn't Davids but (like Lahm himself) his physical limitations are well compensated by his understanding of the game.
Overmars in his prime gave Maldini the jitters. I like Redondo, but against this pace he'll not be enough. I can't post the video now, but watch that Overmars Maldini clip again. With Lahm behind him, Cole has no chance here. With Effenberg moving up when we have possession, Redondo is just not enough. Not even close.

Pat_Mustard

Overmars in his prime gave Maldini the jitters. I like Redondo, but against this pace he'll not be enough. I can't post the video now, but watch that Overmars Maldini clip again. With Lahm behind him, Cole has no chance here. With Effenberg moving up when we have possession, Redondo is just not enough. Not even close.
WTF are you on about?!! :lol: Again, Lahm and Overmars are playing on different wings now, and Effenberg isn't on the fecking pitch!!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Edgar Allan Pillow Overmars is a brilliant player and he would gave tough time to both Petrescu and Cashley but Maldini won that battle comfortably. Assuming they cut only the good staff for this video and even in that Overmars didnt really do anything to harm Italy, all he did was winning few fouls in not particularly dangerous areas.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Overmars in his prime gave Maldini the jitters
It doesn't make him a kryptonite for every left back though, or else we can justify playing him/Laudrup in an all-time draft final. Cashley held him own against Cristiano multiple times, so it works backwards just as well

Okay, I won't criticize a drunk mind, have a good one!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lloris is a bit underwhelming in this tight game. As we've seen that a superb Gk is as important as having a superb defender.
I might go against the grain here, but I don't rate Peruzzi higher than Lloris. Peruzzi was a superb shotstopper, but a bit flappy at times.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It doesn't make him a kryptonite for every left back though, or else we can justify playing him/Laudrup in an all-time draft final. Cashley held him own against Cristiano multiple times, so it works backwards just as well

Okay, I won't criticize a drunk mind, have a good one!
Well I was just mentioning it as a advantage to our side.

Anyway games done.

Pat_Mustard

It's been sometime since I realised, drafts are not worth getting mad on anyone!

Good fun. Good game. Your team sucks!
A little bit of righteous indignation is all part of the fun :D

Anyway games done.
More gamesmanship! Once you switch your vote away from our team there's a handful of votes in it, half the match left, and loads of regulars still to vote.

Don't be swayed by him playing the sympathy card people!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
WTF are you on about?!! :lol: Again, Lahm and Overmars are playing on different wings now, and Effenberg isn't on the fecking pitch!!
A little bit of righteous indignation is all part of the fun :D

More gamesmanship! Once you switch your vote away from our team there's a handful of votes in it, half the match left, and loads of regulars still to vote.

Don't be swayed by him playing the sympathy card people!
:lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I voted for EAP because of the Overmars-Lahm flank and Effenberg's role :D

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I might go against the grain here, but I don't rate Peruzzi higher than Lloris. Peruzzi was a superb shotstopper, but a bit flappy at times.
Peruzzi might be the Valdes who won much because of the team, but he was 3 times Serie A gk (2 in the great 90's) which is a testimony of his quality. He's widely recognized as one of the best Gk of Serie A all-time.

Lloris is at most the 3rd best gk in the current league. On that Euro Final, I thought he could do better with the goal.

But yes, it's hard to compare the quality of Gk though. My memory of Peruzzi is vivid, as I only watched Juve on big games in the 90's.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah, we gave serious consdieration to Sheava. After Raul-Sheva discussions last match, we were unsure on Suarez-Sheva would turn out to be. Anyway, we had to choose backup for our forwards and wingers with our 2nd pick. We chose Boban as he can cover our wingers and midfielders both and gambled on Forward for later rounds, if we get though.
I understand.

Now, you would have made my decision easier with Scheva or Crespo.

I don't deny the quality of Shearer as a scorer but his play off the ball

So, I was researching about that Blackburn side 95-96 and now it's too late to vote :)

Pat_Mustard

I understand.

Now, you would have made my decision easier with Scheva or Crespo.

I don't deny the quality of Shearer as a scorer but his play off the ball

So, I was researching about that Blackburn side 95-96 and now it's too late to vote :)
He wasn't the flashiest forward but his movement was superb, he worked the channels very well, and his back to goal play was top-notch. I think he was better than Crespo personally (I've probably always underrated Crespo a bit admittedly), and I don't think Shevchenko would have been an upgrade in this system alongside Suarez.