Swarm

Velvet Revolver

This short sighted mentality is what is wrong with fans . We complain the 'management' is not looking at the big picture and 3 pre-season games in ole has a master plan to win the PL. :confused:

we had a great pre-season under LVG! how did that plan workout?

SteveW

A good midfielder would be good, I don't think Bruno is right though. I think this squad makes top 4 without much of a fuss this season.
That's placing an awful lot of trust in the likes of Fred, Matic and Pereira.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Football fans placing far too much stock in pre-season results/performances will never fail to be amusing.

Marcelinho87

This short sighted mentality is what is wrong with fans . We complain the 'management' is not looking at the big picture and 3 pre-season games in ole has a master plan to win the PL. :confused:

LVG would have worked if he didn't shit himself post Leicester.

Raven

That's placing an awful lot of trust in the likes of Fred, Matic and Pereira.
And McTominay and hopefully Gomes. Gomes to me actually looks like exactly what we need in MF, probably not quite ready yet, but he's passed every test so far with flying colours.

I have to say though, I was more taking into account the standard of our closest rivals in Chelsea and Arsenal.

SteveW

I actually haven't noticed anybody saying we have a masterplan to win the PL.

I've seen an awful lot of people saying Ole should have been sacked before even getting a preseason with the players though. Perhaps you could take aim at those people instead of straw manning people for saying little other than that they see some progression.

SteveW

And McTominay and hopefully Gomes. Gomes to me actually looks like exactly what we need in MF, probably not quite ready yet, but he's passed every test so far with flying colours.

I have to say though, I was more taking into account the standard of our closest rivals in Chelsea and Arsenal.
I like really Gomes but sadly I think the 3 I've mentioned are ahead of him in the queue right now. It's worrying.

Raven

I like really Gomes but sadly I think the 3 I've mentioned are ahead of him in the queue right now. It's worrying.
Yeah, they will be for the time being. I'm expecting Gomes to start against Spurs, I think it will be hard to not give him decent play time during the season if he kills it, whilst watching Greenwood get a load of playing time. That will lead to him leaving, but I'm confident Ole has a plan that will include him appropriately.

SteveW

Yeah, they will be for the time being. I'm expecting Gomes to start against Spurs, I think it will be hard to not give him decent play time during the season if he kills it, whilst watching Greenwood get a load of playing time. That will lead to him leaving, but I'm confident Ole has a plan that will include him appropriately.
I worry about this too. Genuinely think he should already be ahead of the likes of Mata, Andreas, Fred and Lingard. If we sign Fernandes he will probably wonder how he will ever get a game.

Raven

I worry about this too. Genuinely think he should already be ahead of the likes of Mata, Andreas, Fred and Lingard. If we sign Fernandes he will probably wonder how he will ever get a game.
He should certainly be ahead of Mata and Lingard, I feel the other 2 have a lot more to offer than they've shown so far.

Velvet Revolver

I actually haven't noticed anybody saying we have a masterplan to win the PL.

I've seen an awful lot of people saying Ole should have been sacked before even getting a preseason with the players though. Perhaps you could take aim at those people instead of straw manning people for saying little other than that they see some progression.
Thanks for you valuable input. I will go to the other threads and provide my feedback.

My comment here was related to OP's thoughts and the subsequent comments by others saying they see a plan and things are looking good. The same fans will be the first to get on the back of ole if we start losing and demand his removal. Hence the short sighted comment. Yeah the master plan to win pL is an exaggeration of.... never mind, ruins the intent if i have to explain that..

Marcelinho87

we had some good games under him it's not just leceister. I am saying pre - season is all about getting to build fitness thats it dont give it too much importance.
Oh I agree definitely. When Ole first joined we saw how he wanted to play and he blamed fitness for it tailing off. I think if he nails the fitness issues we might be ok.

Handré1990

I hate the Cardiff argument he had no chance there it was a mess. The biggest mistake he made was going there.
Agreed, and even many posters on here said so at the time. What, with the change of team colors and a lot of trouble with the owners.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Thought it was a StarCraft thread.

SteveW

Thanks for you valuable input. I will go to the other threads and provide my feedback.

My comment here was related to OP's thoughts and the subsequent comments by others saying they see a plan and things are looking good. The same fans will be the first to get on the back of ole if we start losing and demand his removal. Hence the short sighted comment. Yeah the master plan to win pL is an exaggeration of.... never mind, ruins the intent if i have to explain that..
You literally just invented something that didn't exist so that you could have a whinge. :lol::lol:

lysglimt

Scout
Rebuilding a new squad...how's that going?

Getting results in the PL...how's that going?

Cmon mate, this is pre-season ffs, it means nothing. Wait til the season starts for these threads.
That is of course correct - but 12 months ago, I watched us perform the weakest pre-season I have ever seen of a United-team. And I seriously feared going into the new season. And the scary thing was, it was gonna get worse than I feared.

Sure this was a weak Inter-side With probably slightly worse match-Fitness than us. But we had intensity, we had desire and what I saw was every single player fighting for the team and the manager. Some of them aren't good enough of course - but if this is the effort our players are aiming for, I am not the least concerned going into the new season. Will we win ? No of course not, but we should be better than last season...and that should lift us to top-4 at least.

lysglimt

Scout
Nothing to get excited about. We've seen it before in pre season. Lots of energy and zap. We will probably start well in the first few games of the season but I predict another false dawn. If things remain the same I can't see us improving from last season.
Were you even awake during last seasons pre-season matches ?

AJ10

A manager implementing a system which he played at his previous club... shocker but we clearly need at least a quality CB and DM.

Kag

Football fans placing far too much stock in pre-season results/performances will never fail to be amusing.
Why?

If you’re horrific in pre season then the likelihood is that this will continue into the season. We were like a pub team last summer and continued to play like one until Mourinho was booted.

Fridge chutney

Please, oh wise one, tell us all what the appropriate amount of "stock" to put into preseason friendlies is.

Managers use this time to build team chemistry, force tactical plans to manifest on pitch, assess which players are ready for the first team and which should be shipped out on loan, and to improve fitness for the upcoming season.

There are many positive signs and it's encouraging to see. Does that mean we'll win the league or make CL? Of course not. But it doesn't mean that people posting positively should be sneered at by people with nothing better to do with their time.

Ace of Spades

No one is going over the top saying we will win the league or anything. Just pointing out to the moaning brigade that there is a plan and style being implemented. A more positive and aggressive style, that was missing previously.

Kemizee

Who wants to bet this squad of sh*thouses will be knackered by Christmas and will spiral out?
w
This. I expect the same. These dross players have flattered to deceive for so many years. I have no trust in any of them to carry our team to the next level. Bunch of cowards!

Fridge chutney

This. I expect the same. These dross players have flattered to deceive for so many years. I have no trust in any of them to carry our team to the next level. Bunch of cowards!
Mason Greenwood, the coward. AWB, the coward. DDG, the coward.

Great contribution.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Please, oh wise one, tell us all what the appropriate amount of "stock" to put into preseason friendlies is.

Managers use this time to build team chemistry, force tactical plans to manifest on pitch, assess which players are ready for the first team and which should be shipped out on loan, and to improve fitness for the upcoming season.

There are many positive signs and it's encouraging to see. Does that mean we'll win the league or make CL? Of course not. But it doesn't mean that people posting positively should be sneered at by people with nothing better to do with their time.
Will do.

It means feck all. Absolutely nothing. Zilch. You're playing teams to gather pre-season fitness, those teams are playing experimental sides, the atmosphere to actual games is totally different. Countless managers/teams have had excellent pre-seasons and then horrible seasons because it's a terrible indicator of how a season will actually go. It's naive foolery to somehow think that because a player is great in pre season he will match it in the season, right now Brewster is looking on for the Ballon d or by pre season standards and Greenwood will probably get top scorer .. not going to happen though, is it?

Tactics/systems/ideas that work in pre season may not work in competitive games. Van Gaal had the best pre season ever and then his philosophy went down like a led balloon when it came up against teams who weren't in pre season mode. The only time you can tell whether something is going to work is when you start playing real matches, I haven't watched/paid attention to a Spurs pre season game in years because they're totally meaningless other than a nice opportunity for fans around the world to see their heroes play/youngsters to get game time.

You're welcome to take it way more seriously than you should do, like loads of footie fans have before, that's your choice. But don't get upset when people tell you the big bad reality: never make judgements on pre season, ever. You can be playing free flowing, exciting football now and then be dire on opening day in the PL, or youn ca be terrible in pre season then free flowing when it comes to competitive games. These games are meant to build fitness for players and earn the clubs a bit of cash abroad .. nothing more, nothing less.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why?

If you’re horrific in pre season then the likelihood is that this will continue into the season. We were like a pub team last summer and continued to play like one until Mourinho was booted.
You were excellent under LvG in pre-season (won every game, beat real, beat liverpool) and then a pub team when the season started.

I honestly wouldn't give two shits if we (spurs) won every pre season game 3 or 4 nil. I'd place zero stock in it because I know these games are played at a completely different tempo under completely different circumstances to competitive matches. It's easy for a style to look cohesive and work in a pre season kick about, not so easy when you're in competitive games.

If you're completely inept in pre season as a team then yeah ok, that perhaps isn't a great sign because no professional side should want to be losing, even in friendlies. But my policy has always been to pay as little attention to it as possible, we lost 4-1 to Girona in our final pre season game last season. Fans are obviously entitled to be happy/excited to see a new style coming through but the fact is that it really does not mean much at all when it comes to crunch time, and people should be aware of this by now.

Steven Seagull

Will do.

It means feck all. Absolutely nothing. Zilch. You're playing teams to gather pre-season fitness, those teams are playing experimental sides, the atmosphere to actual games is totally different. Countless managers/teams have had excellent pre-seasons and then horrible seasons because it's a terrible indicator of how a season will actually go. It's naive foolery to somehow think that because a player is great in pre season he will match it in the season, right now Brewster is looking on for the Ballon d or by pre season standards and Greenwood will probably get top scorer .. not going to happen though, is it?

Tactics/systems/ideas that work in pre season may not work in competitive games. Van Gaal had the best pre season ever and then his philosophy went down like a led balloon when it came up against teams who weren't in pre season mode. The only time you can tell whether something is going to work is when you start playing real matches, I haven't watched/paid attention to a Spurs pre season game in years because they're totally meaningless other than a nice opportunity for fans around the world to see their heroes play/youngsters to get game time.

You're welcome to take it way more seriously than you should do, like loads of footie fans have before, that's your choice. But don't get upset when people tell you the big bad reality: never make judgements on pre season, ever. You can be playing free flowing, exciting football now and then be dire on opening day in the PL, or youn ca be terrible in pre season then free flowing when it comes to competitive games. These games are meant to build fitness for players and earn the clubs a bit of cash abroad .. nothing more, nothing less.
Well we can at least gather that we are trying to play with more intensity off the ball. So it’s not exactly zilch nothing nada feck all

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Its not the performances, its the way Ole has the team working. I've never seen a United side press like this. Thats what excites me.