Tackles by attacking players

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think there is a difference in not tackling and not knowing how to tackle. City are way ahead in terms of ball at feet and able to intercept and moving on. We don't intercept we don't tackle we just stand
Agreed, a qualitative judgement of our tackles would be more useful. But from a quantitave standpoint, it's predictable that City or United are at the bottom of tackling stats.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Total tackles in PL so far this season

Greenwood 8
Cavani 6
Rashford 6
Martial 1

Sterling 15
Mahrez 8
Jesus 6

Mane 30
Firmino 19
Salah 13

Son 12
Kane 11
Bergwijn 10

Perez 20
Vardy 8

Richarlison 28
Iwobi 17
DCL 9

- Our forwards who have made the fewest appearances have made the most tackles.

- Our forwards who have made the most tackles would have made the least tackles in 4 out of 5 of the other top 6 clubs (5 out of 5 if you consider regular starters only).

- Two forwards at other clubs have each made more tackles than all our forwards combined. Three, if you only include three of ours (and we only ever play three at a time)

- Every single club in the top 6 has a forward who has made twice as many tackles as 3 out of our 4 forwards. Three clubs have forwards who have made either five or six times as many tackles.

A lot of talk about our forwards lack of goals and the whole team’s workrate and fitness under Ole. To me one our biggest problems is a whole sector of our team who seem to think tackling other players is beneath them.

Discuss.
Bump.

Ganacho made 3 tackles in 73 minutes today. Out of 5 attempted. Keep this up and he will blow the stats in the above post right out of the water.

Anyone know if Martial and Rashford have been hitting similar numbers in pre-season? Be good to know how much of their lack of tackles in previous seasons was down to manager’s instructions.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Bump.

Ganacho made 3 tackles in 73 minutes today. Out of 5 attempted. Keep this up and he will blow the stats in the above post right out of the water.

Anyone know if Martial and Rashford have been hitting similar numbers in pre-season? Be good to know how much of their lack of tackles in previous seasons was down to manager’s instructions.
Nice. I didn't even know those stats aye available for pre season games.

He'll give Rashford a kick up his ass hopefully, with that energy on both ends.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bump.

Noticed this too today. He was incredibly tenacious in a way none of our other attackers come close too. Just another impressive facet of his display today.

Without seeing the stats I think Martial and Rashford (and Sancho) have been at an improvement in this department compared to last season, but I wouldn’t say they have beentop tier at it still. Not sure any of them ever will.

Cloudface

*sigh*

Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo and Bruno won a grand total of zero tackles yesterday afternoon.

New season, same old shite.
Not at all surprising. I don't think I saw Rashford attempt to get back and help at any point when we were under the cosh. The others are just as soft and lazy.

Last edited:

steffyr2

*sigh*

Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo and Bruno won a grand total of zero tackles yesterday afternoon.

New season, same old shite.
Maybe "tackle" means something new now, but I saw Ronaldo take the ball away from 2 players on the other team yesterday. He didn't go two-footed knee high into them, but he definitely got the ball twice*. **

*It used to be that forwards were expensive and hard to replace and teams didn't want to risk them. Guess we have skill players to spare now.
** Ronaldo is on the tv a lot. Rashford could have been performing game-saving tackles all over the place and I don't think the TV producers would care. So I don't see the absence of seeing Rashford defending means that Rashford wasn't defending.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Long time since a United attacker put in an effort like that.

SER19

Remains a huge problem. At any other top club, Brightons second goal attack ends in our final third with a tackle or foul. We're a very soft team