'Tactical' fouls

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Incredible, he blatantly stopped 2 counters and wasn't booked once!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Think it looked like the ref was quite aware and wouldn't be pressured in either direction. Obviously that meant that City kept getting away with obvious fouls. It is getting out of hand, but nobody wants to be the ref to make a stand, as they will also face ridicule for the City "fans" around the country.

Roboc7

It’s a big part of their game but they do it in areas that means that are unlikely to get booked, they also kick the ball away every time to stop a quick free kick.

They are incredibly well coached in being cynical, working hard and playing good football.

Irrational.

Liverpool were up the the same shit in the first game as well, and likewise City tonight. It's a clear tactic of high pressing teams as they always overcommit and are vulnerable to the counter. I've also noticed they will try every trick in the book to prevent a FK or a GK being taken quickly.

I genuinely couldn't believe how much Fernandinho got away with today.

It's an absolute disgrace how this isn't picked up by the pundits or the officials. Pathetic.

Stadjer

They are part of the game.. its not fun and ruins many promising and potential exciting to watch moments. However football isnt about entertainment anymore but is all about winning so tactical fouls make sense in that regard.

To get rid of tactic fouls they need to punished harder. How Fernandinho didnt get a yellow card today is beyond me for example.

Tactical foul should be a direct yellow and another one is second yellow. Not this fouling a player, not getting a card and also standing in front of the free kick to prevent it being taken quickly which currently is what happens.

Giggsyking

Its not shity's fault the ref did not book Fernadinho. The refs are incompetent bunch of twats that need extra balls to make the right decision.

RedStarUnited

They are part of the game.. its not fun and ruins many promising and potential exciting to watch moments. However football isnt about entertainment anymore but is all about winning so tactical fouls make sense in that regard.

To get rid of tactic fouls they need to punished harder. How Fernandinho didnt get a yellow card today is beyond me for example.

Tactical foul should be a direct yellow and another one is second yellow. Not this fouling a player, not getting a card and also standing in front of the free kick to prevent it being taken quickly which currently is what happens.
You would not believe how often he gets away with it.

Stadjer

You would not believe how often he gets away with it.
The thing i dont get is that he has been doing it for seasons now and he is also a pretty dirty player. He should have had a bad reputation among referees by now (like how every referee knows that Neymar/Suarez always dives) so they would punish him more often... i really dont understand how no referee or whoever judges referees their performances hasnt noticed.

Some of those players just seem immune to it. Somebody like Mark van Bommel would also get away with a lot before being booked. Maybe Fernandinho is just a very nice person who tells referees funny jokes during the match and tells the referee that they look pretty in their referee outfit?

RedStarUnited

The thing i dont get is that he has been doing it for seasons now and he is also a pretty dirty player. He should have had a bad reputation among referees by now (like how every referee knows that Neymar/Suarez always dives) so they would punish him more often... i really dont understand how no referee or whoever judges referees their performances hasnt noticed.

Some of those players just seem immune to it. Somebody like Mark van Bommel would also get away with a lot before being booked. Maybe Fernandinho is just a very nice person who tells referees funny jokes during the match and tells the referee that they look pretty in their referee outfit?
Only thing I can say is maybe Referees don't follow patterns of players. Neymar/Suarez is because of the big noise from the general public. There isnt the same energy towards Fernandinho. Hazard goes down a lot too but its accepted as he is a talented player, maybe City play so well that the refs forget the fouls.

Rossa

Love how Fernandinho gets away with anything and everything. An ounce of a competent ref would have given him a yellow for that sliding tackle early in the half, and then hmwhen he slides down and takes out Shaw on a counter in the second he proceeds to give nothing. How does the ref get away with that?

Another one. If there is blatantly no attempt to get the ball it should be a red instead of a yellow. They need to cut this out, it certainly seems like its becoming more of a normal tactic.

tedketterman

Part of the game and nothing wrong with it. You face the consequences if you decide to do it. Whether that's being called a twat by half the footballing world or being banned or whatever. It's a legitimate tactic.
It is a legitimate tactic, and I have no problem with it, but the refereeing had to be consistent throughout the whole league. On the face of it City seem to be doing it more than other teams while not getting penalised as much.

worldinmotion66

It's completely ruining the game now. There were two occasions where Lingard was away in dangerous areas and got wrestled to the ground; One occasion where Young did the same to their attacker. It's just blatant cheating and I don't understand how it has become an accepted part of the game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's completely ruining the game now.
Agreed. There's a few things ruining the game off the pitch and this is ruining it on it. Seems like it's happening more and more.

To pull Lingard's legs with his hands is even worse and more blatant cheating than ever.

It's at least on par with if not worse than diving, because at least the ref has a chance of spotting diving and not giving it.

Again last night, this time with our own. After Smalling and Herrera confused each other and Herrera passed to nobody, Matic grabbed hold of the Arsenal attacker as they broke. Didn't even attempt to go for the ball.

I'm sure it never used to be this blatant.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Again last night, this time with our own. After Smalling and Herrera confused each other and Herrera passed to nobody, Matic grabbed hold of the Arsenal attacker as they broke. Didn't even attempt to go for the ball.

No problem with this foul though, he took one for the team, got the card. Let Aubameyang get some speed and go against our CBs and you know what would happen.

No problem with this foul though, he took one for the team, got the card. Let Aubameyang get some speed and go against our CBs and you know what would happen.
Agreed but only because it was in our favour this time. Still ruins the game.

I’d rather our players did it than not, and he absolutely took one for the team. But looking at the game in general, these types of fouls are ruining the game - there is no real consequence for the offender in this situation. Matic has absolutely no intention of getting the ball, couldn’t get the ball and stopped a really promising attack - that offence is worth more than a yellow. This is the sort of foul that needs a sin bin, and the player is sent off for 10 mins and given a yellow.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I’d rather our players did it than not, and he absolutely took one for the team. But looking at the game in general, these types of fouls are ruining the game - there is no real consequence for the offender in this situation. Matic has absolutely no intention of getting the ball, couldn’t get the ball and stopped a really promising attack - that offence is worth more than a yellow. This is the sort of foul that needs a sin bin, and the player is sent off for 10 mins and given a yellow.
IMO it ruins the game when it goes unpunished, like in the case of Fernandinho who can pull out 10 of those during a match and still go uncarded, or to a lesser extent boring James Milner. If it's punished then you know the player won't do it again so I guess it's somewhat fine. I guess we must agree to disagree on that though.

Bola

At least he got punished for it and rightly so.

Sokratis got away with two tactical fouls last night as I recall

SirAF

Ageist

Absolutely loved it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Again, if teams take advantage of the way rules are applied, it's simply intelligent. Everyone should do the same thing.

Why the FA and the refs don't do anything about it, that's another question.

Steerpike

Part of the game but refs need to be much firmer on them, should be a straight yellow.
I entirely agree, and it annoys me when I see players repeatedly getting away with 'tactical' fouls. Any foul that is deliberately committed should be met with a card - always, and without exception.

High pressing teams, Man City in particular, rely on the fact that they can get away with tactical fouls in the event that the press doesn't work. Arsenal, in their pomp under Wenger, were the masters of the tactical foul in the opposition half too.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I thought of this thread when Matic committed one on Sunday :)
We're seeing a bit more of them under Ole. Rightly so, it's a good tactic. Thing is, most of the time we do it we rightly get a yellow card. Certain teams and players in this league do it repeatedly and get away with it. Sure you can figure out which teams and players.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Again, if teams take advantage of the way rules are applied, it's simply intelligent. Everyone should do the same thing.

Problem is certain teams don't get away with it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We're seeing a bit more of them under Ole. Rightly so, it's a good tactic. Thing is, most of the time we do it we rightly get a yellow card. Certain teams and players in this league do it repeatedly and get away with it. Sure you can figure out which teams and players.
Not us!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Because it isnt illegal. They rotate who commits the foul and they make sure its usually not a bookable infringement.

Any ref who tries to stop it by 'booking the next person who fouls' is just an attention seeker. For that isnt legal. You can only book the one who persistently fouls. Not the next to foul.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Because it isnt illegal. They rotate who commits the foul and they make sure its usually not a bookable infringement.

Any ref who tries to stop it by 'booking the next person who fouls' is just an attention seeker. For that isnt legal. You can only book the one who persistently fouls. Not the next to foul.
In handball they give out yellow cards for the first few fouls but after they give someone the first 2 minutes out they stop giving yellows out. They could do that, only in football this would be a warning or two first for the tactical or cynical foul and after that straight yellow no matter who makes the foul, as long as it warrants it by being tactical.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Tough to accept. Every time we did it against Leicester, we got a booking.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Tough to accept. Every time we did it against Leicester, we got a booking.
Because we're really naive at them. If you hack away at someone who is already on the break then you get booked. If you commit a foul immediately after possession is lost, but before the counter is started, allowing your defenders to get back, that has more leeway.

OldSchoolManc

Tactical fouls must be stamped out.
We saw again today, how Liverpool were allowed to get away with it.
Is it any surprise that the top 2 in the EPL are allowed to get away with it every game?
It’s a horrible thing to watch and infuriating.
That’s not entertainment - we will attack you, but if you try to, you’ll get fouled.
It must be stamped out now, or it’ll become the norm.