Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought it was a good cameo. Yeah he lost it a few times but to me just shows how confident he was to even attempt to take players on or look for a pass rather than just smash it into the stands, I'd prefer that to a timid "safe" performance that can be typical of young players. He's raw but there's definitely a good player in there, the step up doesn't seem to phase him at all and his defensive work was very good.

Nick7

The most important thing for him, and Greenwood, is they were on the pitch when we won a famous and important Champions League tie. Everything else is irrelevant for me. That experience is more important than a misplaced pass or a failed run. They've got the taste for how United win.

deafepl

The most important thing for him, and Greenwood, is they were on the pitch when we won a famous and important Champions League tie. Everything else is irrelevant for me. That experience is more important than a misplaced pass or a failed run. They've got the taste for how United win.
Exactly, experiencing tempo of the games, physical and mental pressure on their shoulder knowing millions of people watch them closely globally is more valuable for their development, they'll be adapting as they learn to play in real senior football and transform their youth into a senior.

Intilo

He makes me nervous in dying minutes by keep losing unnecessary possession, this guy still looks out of his depth whenever he played.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabaster Codify7

He didn't do anything but he certainly didn't shy away whatsoever, always calling for the ball and put in a strong challenge - happy with that little cameo, great for the kid.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They obviously do - just saying I disagree with that assessment based on what I’ve seen of him thus far.

Not saying he’s never going to be a good player etc just think he’s more of a kick and rush player at this moment in time whereas those two are more composed in possession IMO.
His dribbling in combination with his pace is very impressive from a technical POV. He was thrown into a central midfield role yesterday on the left and he's not a midfielder. I honestly believe he will be a brilliant player for us, and let's wait and see him play afew full first team games before jumping to conclusions. I honestly believe he's a better dribbler of the ball than Rashford..

In the few minutes he was on yesterday, he spent more time defending than actually attacking. But his defensive work was good to see.

Sylar

Him being on the pitch was a positive for a number of reasons. Obviously youth product, but his energy was great. There were the two times he tried to be too clever and ended up losing the ball but thankfully it wasnt in positions where we got hurt from it. Hopefully hes learnt from that.

Happy for him.

Dyslexic Untied

Great experience for him. He showed a bit of character too. Keeping the ball, taking people on, asking for the ball all the time etc.

ChaddyP

He makes me nervous in dying minutes by keep losing unnecessary possession, this guy still looks out of his depth whenever he played.

when are posters going to realise this kind of statement is just absolute trash. Same was said about rashford at one point, Scott , Lingard, Dalot and the list goes on. They are not out of their depth man, they are talented players that just need more game time with the team. Its really just that simple

Member 93275

Must have seen a different game. This was a career changing performance. It was so bad, I wouldn't be surprised this was his last game for United and the dream to go from the youth straight into the first team is gone. He will be hired out and needs to reboot and find his level elsewhere, by playing lots of games, not even in the PL. I doubt he will ever reach the top level of United again though, it was not just a bad game and next time better, he was completely out of his depth, and lacks the awareness on this level of the game moving around him, which is not often fixed by gaining experience. In short, he's not a top player.

edcunited1878

Must have seen a different game. This was a career changing performance. It was so bad, I wouldn't be surprised this was his last game for United and the dream to go from the youth straight into the first team is gone. He will be hired out and needs to reboot and find his level elsewhere, by playing lots of games, not even in the PL. I doubt he will ever reach the top level of United again though, it was not just a bad game and next time better, he was completely out of his depth, and lacks the awareness on this level of the game moving around him, which is not often fixed by gaining experience. In short, he's not a top player.
No white text or this is some next level sarcasm.

Member 93275

I would like him very much to succeed as a Dutch guy at United breaking through the ranks and for his likability and all, and hope I will be proven wrong, but my assessment isn't clouded by it.

Nick7

Your assessment is based on 12 minutes of football in an tense, chaotic match. Sorry mate, but I hope you're not a scout.

Member 93275

Your assessment is based on 12 minutes of football in an tense, chaotic match. Sorry mate, but I hope you're not a scout.
I'm not. But neither are you, so it's a bad point. We're all just talking on a football forum from our proverbial attics. In any case when a youngster makes his debut in an important game as a late substitute, one would like to see flashes of a blossoming talent at least, not someone who doesn't belong there.

BlackBen

Where's the white text?

ravi2

Are you high?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How did your fingers not burn after such a hot take?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What the feck

Member 90887

If you're not high, you're drunk then. No way a normal person would come up with something as stupid as that. Stop watching football please.

edcunited1878

No, no, it's like I said, I must have watched this game in an alternative reality.
His instructions weren't to 'express himself' in a team setting to score a goal. It was to give energy and close down, be an outlet. He lost the ball a couple times because the occasion got to him a bit. Cannot blame him.

He went to the ball and received the ball. He didn't shy away from it or his task. That's mental fortitude and ability to follow instructions.

Nick7

I'm not. But neither are you, so it's a bad point. We're all just talking on a football forum from our proverbial attics. In any case when a youngster makes his debut in an important game as a late substitute, one would like to see flashes of a blossoming talent at least, not someone who doesn't belong there.
Yeah because it's incredibly easy to come on and play in an unnatural position in a game like that. No one would stand out. Hell there's been far better players to come on and not show much. I guess Cavani is awful too,if we take your logic.

Member 93275

If you're not high, you're drunk then. No way a normal person would come up with something as stupid as that. Stop watching football please.
Like anyone here, sometimes I'm spectacularly wrong with my opinions, and sometimes spectacularly right. I like to highlight my wins, so for instance when my opinion was that Frenkie destroyed the French twice while part of the French team (such as Mbappé, Pogba, Griezmann, Kanté) was especially set up to destroy him by Dechamps, I was ridiculed. Then Griezmann confirmed it.

His instructions weren't to 'express himself' in a team setting to score a goal. It was to give energy and close down, be an outlet. He lost the ball a couple times because the occasion got to him a bit. Cannot blame him.

He went to the ball and received the ball. He didn't shy away from it or his task. That's mental fortitude and ability to follow instructions.
That's the worst part. He expressed himself, and for me proved he is not near the required level or ever will be.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wouldn't take a Ajax fan seriously when it comes to a kid that comes from the Feyernoord academy.

Member 93275

I wouldn't take a Ajax fan seriously when it comes to a kid that comes from the Feyernoord academy.
Too easy. I actually like Feyenoord, they are a great club, in a different way than Ajax. I like the different strengths of the Dutch big three. It's more that the more simple minded Feyenoord fans hate Ajax anyway, not the opposite except the F-side. If you want to do it right, Ajax and Feyenoord have the same problem, that PL clubs get some of their talents around the time they get 16 and can get their first pro contracts, so presumably I'd like those to fail. But really, I'd like to see Chong become a United and Dutch team great. But he's not it IMO. Should get games at Heerenveen or something like Ødegaard and go from there and find his real level. Ødegaard's current level is Vitesse and not Real Madrid.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Too easy. I actually like Feyenoord, they are a great club, in a different way than Ajax. I like the different strengths of the Dutch big three. It's more that the more simple minded Feyenoord fans hate Ajax anyway, not the opposite except the F-side. If you want to do it right, Ajax and Feyenoord have the same problem, that PL clubs get some of their talents around the time they get 16 and can get their first pro contracts, so presumably I'd like those to fail. But really, I'd like to see Chong become a United and Dutch team great. But he's not it IMO. Should get games at Heerenveen or something like Ødegaard and go from there and find his real level.
How much have you watched of Chong to come to your conclusion?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
thought he was rather poor unfortunately. I'm gonna assume he was just very nervous because it looked like he was rather headless

can someone explain what the hell this was about?

Member 93275

it looked like he was rather headless
This. Got the free card to express himself from a manager who want to put believe in his players, and proved himself to be a headless chicken. Get real guys.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
This. Got the free card to express himself from a manager who want to put believe in his players, and proved himself to be a headless chicken. Get real guys.
I think he partly may have just looked that way. though, because I happened to be paying so much attention to him, being Chong, in a game that was probably equally chaotic for most of the rest of the players on the pitch at that point. So I don't agree with you writing him off already. That said, he didn't do anything to impress me either, which is what I would expect tbh from a talent capable of making it to the level of Manchester United.

Drainy

My sense about him from watching him for a while now is that he relies on instinct and intuition rather than observation and consideration.

Very decent technical side, but no composure and very hit and miss with what he does.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Worst post of the week

Devil81

Impossible game for him to get into in fairness, I didn't feel he was the correct substitute at that stage but who am I to question Ole.

I felt Greenwood for Periera and throw him upfront alongside Lukaku with Rashford coming from the deeper position. Doesn't matter now as we won the game and qualified.

Member 93275

My sense about him from watching him for a while now is that he relies on instinct and intuition rather than observation and consideration.
This reminds me how difficult it is in modern football to succeed as a small player unless you're as good as Iniesta or Xavi. And in Chong's case, how difficult it is to succeed on instinct and intuition alone unless you're as good as Pogba. He ain't no Pogba.

Worst post of the week
Your post is still worse because of lack of arguments. :devil:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Impossible game for him to get into in fairness, I didn't feel he was the correct substitute at that stage but who am I to question Ole.

I felt Greenwood for Periera and throw him upfront alongside Lukaku with Rashford coming from the deeper position. Doesn't matter now as we won the game and qualified.
The positions he is strong in, were occupied by Dalot and Rashford, so I was thinking Ole may throw Gomes on for Pereira in midfield which looked the logical choice. But Ole played Chong in central midfield instead which was a surprise. We won so who cares..

Status
Not open for further replies.