Tahith Chong | Signed a new deal until 2022

Tony247

He's not shown much yet in his fledgeling career. However, Woodward might think he may have a value in the market to sell on if he signs a contract. More likely to be a financial decision than sporting.
I too think the same. Then we will have to risk playing him in good number of matches to increase valuation.

Conundrum.

izec

He should sign for Inter and go on loan to a Serie A side. If he signs for us, we should loan him out as well. He isnt good enough to play regular first team football for us or Inter. He wouldn't even play for them under Conte, since they don't play with wingers. He would need to adapt to a wingback role to have a chance of playing there.

Shark

@NotShark
Based on what I’ve seen so far, Chong could easily end up in the Lingard/Andreas/Welbeck bracket of players we’ve held onto for far too long just because they’re academy prospects.

Hawks2008

Shown next to nothing for the first team when he's had the opportunity.

Nothing of value would be lost.

starman

Would have liked him to have gone on loan first during his time here but if he is refusing to even do so with Inter, I don't see him improving much as he doesn't seem like the type of player to suddenly come good and force his way into the team. He definitely needs to drop down a level and build up confidence

Tony247

He should sign for Inter and go on loan to a Serie A side. If he signs for us, we should loan him out as well.
May be I am wrong but how I read is that he doesn't want to be loaned.

Aarron Swift

Chong has looked good once playing for the first team, against Tranmere. That shows his level.

Chong may get better but he's not a generational talent. We're talking about a player who is older than Jadon Sancho but looks nowhere near the level. I don't think United should be busting a gut to keep him.
Of Course 20 is still very young and not all players develop at same time but fact that these players are all younger than Chong but had far impact season than him

Saka (Arsenal)
Williams (Man Utd)
Greenwood (Man Utd)
Foden (Man City)
Gilmour (Chelsea)
Martinelli (Arsenal)
Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) - maybe not great this season but shown far more, so far in his career compared to Chong.
James (Chelsea)

then looking at Germany - older than both Sancho & Haaland.

Aarron Swift

May be I am wrong but how I read is that he doesn't want to be loaned.
I honestly have no idea what he expects to happen. He can barely get into United team, the exact same will happen at Inter. A loan is the best option for him until he wants a complete permanent downgrade in club. to prove himself in hopes of a bigger club coming in 2/3 years time.

Dozer

He'll probably fall over on his way to sign the contract, as he does every time the ball comes near him.

Dinghy

Hasn't showed a lot for the first team whenever he's had the chance, but still got a feeling he'll have a "Gnabry-like" development if he were to leave as he's got a lot of promising qualities. Just need to put on a bit more muscle and get more game-time at a higher level.

fergosaurus

The news doesn't bother me and I think he'll have a mediocre career. I don't even see much raw talent in him, he just seems a very underwhelming prospect. Good luck to him.

Falcow

Pathetic? No. He's an asset so our offer is on the table if he wants to take it. That's down to him. It would be silly to withdraw any kind of offer and leave him for someone else to pick up for nothing should he not agree with Inter.

I don't see the issue with it. I also don't think he's THAT great yet and needs more time, hence Inter wanting to loan him away.
I think the problem that the OP is pointing out is that our offer isn't actually on the table yet but will be if he rejects inter, at least that's what the tweet suggests. Which does seem a bit pathetic.

hobbers

He’s been largely rubbish whenever he’s played. Even playing alongside Lingard hasnt made him look good.

No loss.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not too fussed either way. He's looked pretty crap every time he's played for the first team.

Zlatattack

If they keep Sanchez, they can have him. If they send Sanchez back, they have to pay a fee and take Jones.

Robbie Boy

Generally thought he has looked like a fan who has won a free pass to play for us when I have seen him.

Tony247

Club invest a lot on academy players so naturally we don't want to lose players at their age of 20, an age where potential is still inconclusive. But then players also should show willingness to learn and develop by going on loan and trying things out in diff leagues. I think its a win win and a reasonable expectation.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don’t see it with him at all, definitely wouldn’t be particularly bothered if he moved and if we do offer him a new deal it needs to be heavily incentivised and low on basic wage.

I’d also suggest he needs a loan, which going from the tweet in the OP he seemingly thinks he’s too good for oddly.

Judas

Open to offers
5 year deal seems beyond extreme for a kid who has shown so little at first team level. If he stays he has to go on loan, so if he's so against loan deals he's in trouble really, he desperately needs football, and he's not going to get much with us or Inter next season I would imagine.

Skåre Willoch

Good for him. If he can't accept going out on loan, he should just go somewhere else.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's interesting to see this thread because the news here in the Netherlands is that he actually signed a new contract with Manchester United. I don't really like this because I don't think Chong will ever be a Manchester United level player, he should just go back to Feyenoord and see if could get game time at that level.

It's his agent Erkan Alkan of the 'Stellar Group', who seems to have directly confirmed this to a Dutch newspaper.

dove

Couldn't care less. Had plenty of chances to show something but failed miserably every single time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Am I missing something about Chong? He doesn't seem to be at the level required for us but the fact Inter Milan are keen on him is interesting.
They have Chinese owners and apparently want to use him as a marketing tool, as he's got Chinese heritage.

They pretty much admitted he wouldnt fit Conte's team at all. Seems a very strange move for him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not sure whether he has it. Could be another Adnan as one poster suggested.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Undoubtedly Inter would have scribbled his name down (along with the rest of our squad it seems) after he came on and destroyed them in pre-season.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I don't see it with Chong. He shouldn't be getting minutes here next year anyways in my opinion.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Makes sense as to why he's been getting more game time then. I don't doubt his renewal will be getting mixed reviews but I'm pleased, he's a talented kid and there's a good player in there. His performances for the second string have remained consistently good throughout his time here, he always gives his all on the pitch so for me his attitude has never been in question. I'm going to go on record as saying I think he'll do well here, his physique needs work though or else he'll be bullied by PL defenders.

vodrake

Not sure whether he has it. Could be another Adnan as one poster suggested.
I think Januzaj was a lot more talented than Chong, was mostly an attitude problem with him.

I'm not sure whether Chong has either the ability or mentality to make it, the rumours of him refusing to go on loan could suggest he has the same "I'm too good for this" attitude that was Adnan's downfall though

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He can do a Gnabry, of course, but so far I've seen nothing to suggest that we should renew him. Selling him for something close to 10 mil would've been better than letting him go on a free (they'd still have to pay us & Feyenoord a compensation though), but that's about it.

OleGunnar20

Seems most aren't really arsed either way, a sentiment I'd agree with.

If he stays obviously hope he kicks on and proves useful, but he's shown nothing to suggest that might happen thus far.

But hey look at Fred. Footballs full of surprises.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Never been impressed by him. Not bothered about him leaving.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If we tie him down to a new contract, send him out on loan and see how he does. It's difficult to judge young players' trajectories but I have full trust in this management team with youngsters.

Red00012

What is it with us offering long term contracts to bang average players ?

LuckyScout78

Fabrizio Romano has just tweeted that Tahith Chong has agreement with Inter Milan however they want to loan him out next season which is why he hasn't signed yet.

United have told Chong that they will offer if a new deal if he doesn't sign with Inter.

Does this affect how much we should feature Chong for rest of the season?. he doesnt feature too much but a number of fans do call for him to play quite often?

Also how do you feel about United's stance on this? Seems fairly pathetic to me, appearing to be happy with being a security back up option for Chong. Would be like you girlfriend deciding to leave you or not and you letting her know that if she doesn't leave you, for another guy that'll you'll have dinner ready for 7 if she wants
From what i have observed. He does has the skills, but lack confidence and are bit to shy. Opposite of Bruno confidence. New one, but dont be shy. Just take your place and express yourself and show how good you really are. And with right and most effience choices...most of the times of course.
He was out with long serious injury back in time. Before that he has that woow factor, but after that i didnt see the same consistent and confidence Chong.
And another reason. You are young and playing with the BIG boys, so it can take off your confidence a bit. But again, young or old. New or old. Just take your place and show what are you been able with.
And another reason is. Remember. United were a poor attacking and a sinking ship before Bruno came. Bruno understand is able to play futsal a la Coutinho quick and pass movement Chong and Greenwood are playing. So definitely Bruno arriving will lift and help Chong performance as Bruno has lift United attacking football. Like Bruno assist free kick to Martial. Know when you have to deliver the ball and when you can take on or finish. Like James should pass the ball to Bruno 45 % out to the centre, instead of shooting. Bruno was clearly in a better finish position. Same as Martial on left. When Martial could pass to Bruno. I saw Bruno was frustrate both of times, both with Martial and James. And i did agree with Bruno. Bruno can be ego too. But most of the time. From what he has showing. Bruno is and playing the way, i would play football too. You can see Mata is improving and enjoying linking up with Bruno. Bruno will affect Chong too. No doubt about it.

I have mentioned so many times. Players success is depending on the level of your teammates. Bruno came and if 2 or more of new players on Bruno level or better. Then we can talking about top 3 or maybe premier league title. But before Bruno. United and Ole were really poor and boring as attacking team. Not only Chong. And reason why Haaland pick Dortmund over United. The level and quality of Dortmund is and were better. Bruno has close the gap between United and Dortmund a bit now.

Sum up and conclusion. Your confidence and mental is needed. Your own skills. The level of your teammates and the level of your opponents. Those 4 factors will sum you as a football player. Chong has the skills, but lacking the confidence. And should we talk about the Chong before Bruno arriving or after?Or like the United before and after Bruno arriving?You can see two different world. United havent loose with Bruno on the pitch yet. It say alot about the level and qualities of teammates factor behind a player and team success.
But in the end. Its up to United and the boy. Mine observing and opinions are that. Chong could sit on the bench and if United lead comfortable. Let him come in and play with Bruno and Martial at the same time. Then i am sure it will help and lift his performance...too...not the only one at United....as a team too.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hopefully he works out - but even if not im sure in a couple of seasons he will be worth a lot more than we would get in compensation for him now

I hope we loan him out somewhere for a season (or two) - hes not ready for our team at the moment but equally there will be a limit to his progress in the U23 - get him out on loan playing competitive games and see how he develops

Red For Ever

He seemed like a good prospect not long ago, but the few chances he has been given, he has not done enough to make it look like he is a player for the future.

Probably best for him to move on, but the details of the Inter offer, do not seem worthwhile for him.

I dont recall hearing of any other interest, which in itself speaks volumes.

Maybe someone else knows or recalls if any other club has shown interest, at his current level, can't see him being at a top club in the near future.

Good luck to him, whatever happens, hopefully for him just a late developer, it happens.
But more often young exciting prospects end up being average players, hope he proves me wrong.