Tahith Chong | Signed a new deal until 2022

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Another Januzaj. Doesn't have the talent.
Almost an opposite example. Adnan had the talent, not the application (seemingly).

Chong looks technically good. I think a good loan would help. The loan system in England is rough though.

In most countries you can play at a lower level in that countries league system and learn your trade. In England, the EPL is almost a different sport to the supporting leagues.

If Villa or Norwich end up in The Championship he could possibly progress there. (Assume there are other similar teams there but I don’t watch enough to suggest them)

Trouble is, he’d get eaten alive in The Championship most weeks. If he goes overseas, those leagues don’t prepare him for the Premiership.

Exciting player though.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
He has to sign for us. I believe in him and I think the club still do otherwise they wouldn’t keep the offer on the table. He could turn out to be a Serge Gnabry! We need to tread carefully with this lad.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He has to sign for us. I believe in him and I think the club still do otherwise they wouldn’t keep the offer on the table. He could turn out to be a Serge Gnabry! We need to tread carefully with this lad.
He needs to cut his hair. Not been impressed so far but like you said Gnabry looked crap at Arsenal so we’ll see

gza the genius

He hasn't shown much for the first team yet but keeping him is still preferable to losing him. Give him a couple of years to develope and if he still hasn't shown anything then we sell him. I'd rather him here and not work out than somewhere else and be a success.

VanGaalyTime

It's important to remember that Chong was out for almost 18 months (!) with an injury between the ages of 16 and 18, so he doesn't have as much game experience as many 18 year olds in our youth system. I think he has a lot of natural ability, but he sometimes lacks a refinement to his play. This improvement will come rapidly with age. He might never be a starter for United but he's a lot better than he's shown so far.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was so dominant at youth level last year. I reckon he could still be a very good player. Thing is is he worth a very big pro contract at this moment in time? Probably not but he does have a value in the transfer market and if he’s on a long deal we can loan him out which is what he really needs. He may just end being another pereira/tfm etc. We could still get a decent fee for Andreas but his not really good enough to be anything more than a squad player here. No shame in it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The coaches and management that have seen him more than less every day for the last x amount of years clearly see something in him.

I have yet to see it to be honest but interested to see if he does have a breakthrough.

JJ12

Think he’ll also benefit from putting some muscle mass on

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Im pleased. He’s looked better the more he’s played, he isn’t over thinking and trying to overly impress and instead is looking to play more sensibly and actually looking decent. Hopefully he continues to progress.

Bwuk

Replaces Lingard in the squad, and gets more minutes next year that Jesse got this is my guess.

luke511

Hmmm letting him leave was the right move, he needs to bulk up massively to stand a chance with his frame on the wing. Also needs to sort out his hair, it looks like it affects his game quite a lot.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Happy with that. Hes young and has potential IMO. Wingers like him often look shit when it doesnt come off, when they're low on confidence or whatever else, but I do think there's plenty of good attributes in there for him to become a pretty good player. Maybe not ever starter level, but that's fine.

I'm hoping he goes out on loan next season and gets first team football. Too good for youth football, not used to playing against men though so gets shown up at the top level.

Jacko21

Hopefully there’s a clause that necessitates a haircut.

Although that might’ve been a dealbreaker.

AshRK

The deal is only till 2022 so doubt we would b e paying 30k for such a short deal. I would say a smart move here by the club. If he is not a regular even by 22 then doubt he is good enough.

JJ12

Deal only until 2022 (year option) - probably benefit both us and the player

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like Roy Keane by thinking he'd be at least 50% better just by shaving that barnet off... Despite that obviously making zero sense.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
He needs to cut his hair. Not been impressed so far but like you said Gnabry looked crap at Arsenal so we’ll see
I agree RE the hair. I just think he could be so much more as he has a good solid footballing education coming from the Netherlands. He seems to me like a confidence player and I feel he does need a run in the team to get going. I also know that won’t happen as we need to get top 4 and all of that. Maybe the best idea would be is to sign him up and loan him to one of the three teams that get relegated this season in the PL. Get the guy some game time and take it from there.

peridigm

The coaches and management that have seen him more than less every day for the last x amount of years clearly see something in him.

I have yet to see it to be honest but interested to see if he does have a breakthrough.
Basically this means is if he does not break through to the first team and become a mainstay, we can still sell him for a profit. His wages will be low and he could also be loaned out.

SAFMUTD

Im not angry we gave him a new deal, we could easily sell him to a dutch club for 5-10 million in the summer, but 30K a week is excesive. Decicions like these are the ones that got us having one of the top 5 wages in the world with an average squad.

Just imagine how much are McTominay, Williams, and Greenwood going to ask? Overpaying youngsters is never a good idea, specially the ones like Chong who have proved absolutely nothing at first level.

JJ12

Basically this means is if he does not break through to the first team and become a mainstay, we can still sell him for a profit. His wages will be low and he could also be loaned out.
Exactly - makes sense. Shrewd business by us which we haven’t said a whole lot in recent years.

Affirmation

So again it appears that the ITK account posted previously was spot on with another bit of information. It's interesting they reported that "their source" had told them Eric Cantona was brought in for the Jude Bellingham talks to try and persuade him as this has not been reported elsewhere. However the Independent are reporting Sir Alex Ferguson was brought in so it's possible the line of information was correct and they just got the wrong person or that the Independent have instead listed the wrong person as being present during the negotiations.

siw2007

Happy to see him sign on, wasn’t sure he was going to so it is good news. I haven’t been particularly impressed since he has stepped up to the first team but I guess players develop at different rates and I hope we have plans for him.

Rojofiam

How can people think Januzaj wasn't talented enough when he was here? :houllier:

prateik

So Romano tried to cover his bases and still got it wrong..

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I've never been impressed by him at senior level, but he had the goods in the youth teams. Makes sense to keep him given all that's gone in to develop him, and the coaching staff obviously see a lot of potential. Players take all different kinds of developmental trajectories, so it'll be interesting to see his. He may be quite the player if he bulks up a little. Still very young, and had a major injury. Let's give him time and patience. Ultimately, I am always happy when we keep our brightest talents and give them a reasonable chance to break into the first team. He wouldn't be the first player to develop significantly in his early to mid twenties.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So Romano tried to cover his bases and still got it wrong..
To be fair he always said he had an agreement with Inter (which was true by the sounds of it) Chong just chose to stay. Probably used Inter to get a better contract it happens.

joedirt87

Aren't we just gonna loan him too ? :lol:. cool that we signed him but I don't expect him to make a breakthrough here based off what I have seen from his play. As someone who has advocated getting him (and more importantly Gomes) opportunities to play I am happy to see a deal get done. Lets hope they can get a deal for Angel sown up next.

RedRJ

Although I’m personally not convinced that he will make it, Ole seems to have a good eye for a player and clearly sees potential there. It will be interesting to see where he is a year from now.

Wheato

I have nothing against Chong, but there are better players in the Championship. Infact when we played Chong against lower league opposition, it was about his level. He's not going to be a Greenwood or a Williams, unfortunately.

Zoo

I’ve been calling for him to get a loan but he looked noticeably stronger in his last first team appearance so maybe he’s ready to start featuring more regularly now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
agree with some of the sentiment here, but contrast it with Billy Gilmour at Chelsea, who’s playing a role with far more pressure and expectation.
Pfft! "Billy Gilmour" is clearly a made up character from some comic book or video game.

In all seriousness, youngsters develop at different rates and some have a basic, linear line of development. Chong is not a prodigy, either, unlike "Billy Gilmour" seemingly is, who was literally made in a Chelsea lab to play football.

Gilmour seems like he's going to get to where he's going a hell of a lot quicker than someone like Chong, by the looks of things. Chong might take 18, maybe even 24 months to show anything, but then, he may skyrocket, such is the nature with some kids. If we're going to let youngsters go, we have to be 100% certain they can't cut it, and I personally wouldn't say Chong is a 'no hoper' or someone to write off even if I think he's some way from first team football at a club like Manchester United right now.

Personally, I'd get him a loan in England and let him get a better feel for the league without having all that anxiety he's currently got coupled into his game. He's better than he has shown, but there, he isn't nervous or flappy in the reserves.

Last edited: