Tahith Chong

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Looks so good. He kind of reminds me of George Best when he gets running with the ball. Probably the number 7 too though!

He’s currently the best prospect we have imo. Next season he should be getting minutes off the bench or a good loan somewhere.
I had the exact same thought, watching that video. I spent a couple of minutes think where I'd seen that style of running and dribbling before, and then it popped into my head. That's something to see, hope we get to see it for the first team in the years to come.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The lad has played about 7/8 times for the U/18's after nearly a year out of the game.

Last night was his debut for the Reserves.

Let's give him time before suggesting he should already be in the first team.

Comparisons with Rashford at first team level are irrelevant and unnecessary.

Luckily the coaching staff know what they are doing and get these things right 99% of the time.

Marcus

I am very impressed. Hope he progresses well through the ranks .

SqueakyWeasel

He was the one player that impressed the hell out of me last night despite the lack of any sort of managerial tactics or plan. Just hope that Jose did a better job of "looking up from his phone" when the guy scored … unlike the MUtv cameraman!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was very harsh on this kid last season. Thought he was good, but not that special. I had expected more.

Very hasty my assessment was. He’s been sublime since he returned from injury, and has made almost every game look easy for him.

izec

I would give him til the rest of the season in the U23 and not hype him up too much. Then pre season with Gomes would be nice and see how things go from there

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He got kicked around pretty badly. Not sure why the referee is allowing that kind of habitual fouling in an u23 game.

Redo91

I was very harsh on this kid last season. Thought he was good, but not that special. I had expected more.

Very hasty my assessment was. He’s been sublime since he returned from injury, and has made almost every game look easy for him.
Did he even play last year with the injury?

Zlatattack

Looks good. Hopefully he can have another season at under 23, then start bringing him into the senior squad/loans.

SqueakyWeasel

That "ref" should get "hauled up before the Beak" for what he allowed the Spurs thugs to do to some of our players last night (not excusing the loss in any sense or form btw) I felt the only way he was prepared to blow up is if, or when, someone got seriously injured (or if it happened in the box). If this is FA policy then it is mental … just fecking saying! :nono:

POF

I really like what I've seen from him. Great ability but there's a bit of an edge to him too. He seems to have a real competitive streak.

His pace and running power are incredible for someone who has come back from such a serious energy. He certainly has the talent to be a first teamer in the future and most importantly, he has cool hair.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully a squad player next year with Gomes, TFM and Pereira. McTominay is not this level of talent.

Also, I’m not saying he’s better than Rashford, but at the same time, I don’t think he’s NOT better than Rashford simply because he’s 18 or whatever. Football isn’t linear like that. Given how good he was when he first arrived, R9 was probably the best player in the world when he was 14 or 15. Michael Owen too for example. Not every player follows the same path. History tells us that Chong perhaps won’t immediately have the same impact in the first team, but Rashford isn’t better than him just because he’s older and has played first team games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He could be what Jose wanted Perisic to do with us. Obviously not quite at that level yet, but seems very similar in style when on the left.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Hopefully a squad player next year with Gomes, TFM and Pereira. McTominay is not this level of talent.

Also, I’m not saying he’s better than Rashford, but at the same time, I don’t think he’s NOT better than Rashford simply because he’s 18 or whatever. Football isn’t linear like that. Given how good he was when he first arrived, R9 was probably the best player in the world when he was 14 or 15. Michael Owen too for example. Not every player follows the same path. History tells us that Chong perhaps won’t immediately have the same impact in the first team, but Rashford isn’t better than him just because he’s older and has played first team games.
Tbf no one said Rashford is better because he played more games, at same age Rashford scored against Arsenal, ManCity, West Ham and also started in the cup finals. He led the line well at just 18. Also he wasn't just speed merchant either, he was skillful player. He is still skillful player anyways.

People big up young player and when they have dip in form they are written off very early.

We are also talking about player who played very important role in Europa league last season when he was just 19.

lysglimt

Scout
The only player in our first team who picks the ball up like that and runs straight at opponents, is Lingard...and Chong is both faster and technically better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbf no one said Rashford is better because he played more games, at same age Rashford scored against Arsenal, ManCity, West Ham and also started in the cup finals. He led the line well at just 18. Also he wasn't just speed merchant either, he was skillful player. He is still skillful player anyways.

People big up young player and when they have dip in form they are written off very early.

We are also talking about player who played very important role in Europa league last season when he was just 19.
I know nobody said that directly, but the responses were more about their respective CVs which were used to dismiss it as absurd, as opposed to Rashford actually having better close control, passing or whatever.

I remember watching Paul Pogba in our reserves and thinking his long passing was as good as anyone in our squad, even Lord Scholes. I don’t think I said it, as I know how protective the caf is of Scholes, but I was just calling it as I was seeing it. He was pinging them left-foot/right-foot all over the place with incredible consistency.

As I said, I’m not saying Chong is better, just pointing out that I don’t agree with responses of ‘you are talking about a player who has only played x games, none for the first team’ etc. It has some validity and merit of course, but I’m just saying it isn’t impossible Chong is better than Rashford , in the same way Gomes probably more talented than Herrera or McTominay.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
It's not actually if you consider Rashford a striker not a winger
Well it is, when you consider Rashford has performed very well against top opposition, generally from the wing (even though he's experiencing a bit of a lull in form) for about two years now, while Chong has played one game for the reserves.

Can7onA

Gave him a few kicks didn't they!

Fair play to him, he looks tough as old boots as well :)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well it is, when you consider Rashford has performed very well against top opposition, generally from the wing (even though he's experiencing a bit of a lull in form) for about two years now, while Chong has played one game for the reserves.
People here are actually mental. Some of them are probably seeing him for the first team and he's already better than Rashford right now. But then again, someone said Gomes should be playing instead of Lingard before Lingard went on this mental streak.

roonster09

Scout
I know nobody said that directly, but the responses were more about their respective CVs which were used to dismiss it as absurd, as opposed to Rashford actually having better close control, passing or whatever.

I remember watching Paul Pogba in our reserves and thinking his long passing was as good as anyone in our squad, even Lord Scholes. I don’t think I said it, as I know how protective the caf is of Scholes, but I was just calling it as I was seeing it. He was pinging them left-foot/right-foot all over the place with incredible consistency.

As I said, I’m not saying Chong is better, just pointing out that I don’t agree with responses of ‘you are talking about a player who has only played x games, none for the first team’ etc. It has some validity and merit of course, but I’m just saying it isn’t impossible Chong is better than Rashford , in the same way Gomes probably more talented than Herrera or McTominay.
Close control, decision making also vary with how difficult opponents are, that's the reason why many players who tear apart smaller leagues fails to make big step up to bigger leagues and teams. Look no further than Depay, against weaker opponents he looked like Messi and ronaldo rolled into one, against quicker and better opponents he couldn't beat fullbacks and messed up even basic moves.

For that reason alone you can't compare decision making and close control at youth level and senior football.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
People here are actually mental. Some of them are probably seeing him for the first team and he's already better than Rashford right now. But then again, someone said Gomes should be playing instead of Lingard before Lingard went on this mental streak.
It's incredible. While in another thread we have people arguing that Lingard is better than Salah.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So that serious injury he had hasn't stopped his progression?

Looks a cracking player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Close control, decision making also vary with how difficult opponents are, that's the reason why many players who tear apart smaller leagues fails to make big step up to bigger leagues and teams. Look no further than Depay, against weaker opponents he looked like Messi and ronaldo rolled into one, against quicker and better opponents he couldn't beat fullbacks and messed up even basic moves.

For that reason alone you can't compare decision making and close control at youth level and senior football.
Memphis actually didn’t look that good at all. Now if you’re talking Robben, then it could be seen that he had more ability than many a PL winger while he was at PSV.

Tbh, what you’re saying is logical, and would typically apply. I don’t disagree. Sometimes, however, in the case of special talents, it doesn’t, and there are examples.

R9 was the best player in the world the minute he stepped on a pitch. There was never any ‘when he gets older he’ll be this or that’. He already was. At 18. Similarly with Mbappé. The caf likes to apply an age and experience algorithm to players like him. ‘Only one season’, ‘only half a season’ etc. It was clear from early that Mbappé was better than loads of more experienced pros.

All I’m saying is it’s not always linear. I’d play Chong ahead of James Maclean any time. Not Rashford though, only because he himself is a top talent. Chong has it all to do to fulfill his potential though, I won’t deny that.

roonster09

Scout
Memphis actually didn’t look that good at all. Now if you’re talking Robben, then it could be seen that he had more ability than many a PL winger while he was at PSV.

Tbh, what you’re saying is logical, and would typically apply. I don’t disagree. Sometimes, however, in the case of special talents, it doesn’t, and there are examples.

R9 was the best player in the world the minute he stepped on a pitch. There was never any ‘when he gets older he’ll be this or that’. He already was. At 18. Similarly with Mbappé. The caf likes to apply an age and experience algorithm to players like him. ‘Only one season’, ‘only half a season’ etc. It was clear from early that Mbappé was better than loads of more experienced pros.

All I’m saying is it’s not always linear. I’d play Chong ahead of James Maclean any time. Not Rashford though, only because he himself is a top talent. Chong has it all to do to fulfill his potential though, I won’t deny that.
Agreed when it's a once in a generation players like Ronaldo.

Disagree with Memphis part, when he played in Europa league against Midtjylland he was unbelievably good but I'm sure he wasn't half as good against decent PL sides.

iHicksy

What I love about him is he has that balance that only the very top players like Messi, Pogba etc have when running with the ball. His ability to see the pass is good and his strength and awareness of space belittles his age. I really like how much game intelligence he has at such a young age, his ability to draw the foul is almost as impressive as his footwork.

Roeindo

If he is playing in other league, ill bet all of us want him to be signed soon same with kluivert junior.

Our coaching staffs surely need to find ways to slowly integrated the likes of Gomes and Chong to the first team cause new challenge and experience will only make them more motivated and polish their talent.

We will save a lot of fund if those two make the grade. Just imagine the cost of Mbappe / Dembele when they joined PSG / Barca.

Looking at how Gomes and Chong play are like having Sterling and Sane of utd version hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

SqueakyWeasel

A 8/10 performance against the bottom side in the u23 league and the hype gets this big!
:lol: … you were the one moaning about Gomaz on the MDT thread yesterday, writing him off and comparing him to his injured youth WC performances … thank feck we never had the internet and "fans" like you when the class of 92 were coming through!
Lets buy the finished article, eh!???? :confused::lol:

Faetheshire86

People are loosing it a little, based off of some highlights. He is very talented, usually one of the most talented player on the pitch when I have watched him in the u18's. But if the most talented players went on to become the best players then Ravel Morrison would be playing in our midfield.

This goes without saying, but he is unproven at senior level and until we see him there you can't label him anything other than a prospect (all be it a very good prospect). Right now we should be doing our best to prepare him physically and mentally to make the jump up. Some players do that seamlessly, others struggle, you shouldn't have to look too far back to find examples of both.

Classical Mechanic

:lol: … you were the one moaning about Chong on the MDT thread yesterday, writing him off and comparing him to his injured youth WC performances … thank feck we never had the internet and "fans" like you when the class of 92 were coming through!
Lets buy the finished article, eh!???? :confused::lol:
I was talking about Gomes and I wasn't writing him off. I'm a massive Gomes fan. I'm also a fan who likes to see the academy players get a shot, see my complaining about us buying Lindelof when we have Tuanzebe and TFM.

Gomes played very poorly yesterday, however. I pointed out that his risk averse and passive performance was similar to the one that saw him lose his place in the England side at the WC this summer.

I'm impressed that you could deduce such nonsense from that post mind.