Tahith Chong

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
How come we don't just play Gomes-Chong-Buffonge together in the reserves, preferably behind a striker too? They all have potential to make it here, why not get them fluid together and see how they fare?

Achilles McCool

That "ref" should get "hauled up before the Beak" for what he allowed the Spurs thugs to do to some of our players last night (not excusing the loss in any sense or form btw) I felt the only way he was prepared to blow up is if, or when, someone got seriously injured (or if it happened in the box). If this is FA policy then it is mental … just fecking saying! :nono:
Looks like the Tottenham U23's went to the Eric Dier school of tackling! Seriously, the rough treatment that Chong received, over and over, was a bit pathetic

Utdstar01

How come we don't just play Gomes-Chong-Buffonge together in the reserves, preferably behind a striker too? They all have potential to make it here, why not get them fluid together and see how they fare?
Yep. I like Buffonge and I'm pretty disappointed that he's been constantly benched for the U23s all season.

SqueakyWeasel

I was talking about Gomes and I wasn't writing him off. I'm a massive Gomes fan. I'm also a fan who likes to see the academy players get a shot, see my complaining about us buying Lindelof when we have Tuanzebe and TFM.

Gomes played very poorly yesterday, however. I pointed out that his risk averse and passive performance was similar to the one that saw him lose his place in the England side at the WC this summer.

I'm impressed that you could deduce such nonsense from that post mind.
I MADE A MISTAKE! :wenger: On a Chong thread I wrote "Chong" mistakenly instead of "Gomez" I realised immediately and edited my post after a read-through! Check the original post #518 edited within one minute … other than that mistake I stand by my comments … what do you want from academy players?????

Classical Mechanic

I MADE A MISTAKE! :wenger: On a Chong thread I wrote "Chong" mistakenly instead of "Gomez" I realised immediately and edited my post after a read-through! Check the original post #518 edited within one minute … other than that mistake I stand by my comments … what do you want from academy players?????
I want the players that are good enough to play for the first team, over mediocre signings like Lindelof and Darmian etc. I would have preferred Tuanzebe to have Lindelof's place in the squad this year.

I wouldn't be against Chong getting some senior minutes as he looks physically ready. I said he should go out on loan but km wasn't impressed with that idea :D

The hype in this thread is daft though, to say he is better than Rashford is nuts. Fact is we played a similarly poor u23 side yesterday so his performance should be viewed in that context.

SqueakyWeasel

I want the players that are good enough to play for the first team, over mediocre signings like Lindelof and Darmian etc. I would have preferred Tuanzebe to have Lindelof's place in the squad this year.

I wouldn't be against Chong getting some senior minutes as he looks physically ready. I said he should go out on loan but km wasn't impressed with that idea :D

The hype in this thread is daft though, to say he is better than Rashford is nuts. Fact is we played a similarly poor u23 side yesterday so his performance should be viewed in that context.
Now that we agree on!

Number1

One of Van Gaal's signings, credit to the guy not only did he promote some young players to the first team which United are seeing the benefits for now (Rashford/Lingard etc) he was also planning well into the future.

goin4glory

Yes he is better at all them things. Chong would do a much better job on either wing in comparison to Rashford who I've lost count the amount of times he runs the ball out of play or just runs straight into a opposing player and loses the ball. Rashford is a talented player that has potential to improve, nothing more, nothing less..
What a load of nonsense.

deafepl

Hopefully a squad player next year with Gomes, TFM and Pereira. McTominay is not this level of talent.

Also, I’m not saying he’s better than Rashford, but at the same time, I don’t think he’s NOT better than Rashford simply because he’s 18 or whatever. Football isn’t linear like that. Given how good he was when he first arrived, R9 was probably the best player in the world when he was 14 or 15. Michael Owen too for example. Not every player follows the same path. History tells us that Chong perhaps won’t immediately have the same impact in the first team, but Rashford isn’t better than him just because he’s older and has played first team games.
Even Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal all interested in him when he was 16. Rashford needs a loan to continue his development, just like Kane did back in time but Rashford is a mile ahead of Kane at that age in 17-20. If Rashford's decision making has improved dramatically in few years, he could be a really dangerous striker, perhaps not the best striker in the world but has potential to do.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The lad has played about 7/8 times for the U/18's after nearly a year out of the game.

Last night was his debut for the Reserves.

Let's give him time before suggesting he should already be in the first team.

Comparisons with Rashford at first team level are irrelevant and unnecessary.

Luckily the coaching staff know what they are doing and get these things right 99% of the time.
I think people are genuinely keen to see our promising youngsters used, when you watch them come through the system you re desperate to see them replicating their current form at the top level. I get that, it's great to see people enthused by youth like Chong, Riley and Gomes...

However, as you say the step up is ridiculous. To put a kid in the first team when he is not ready can destroy and knock confidence. The comparisons with Rashford are nuts...to do it against the quality of player in the premier league and to do it at reserve or youth team level. Rashford is on a totally different level to Chong or Gomes as a player just now.

There are many, many players I have seen over the years impress to a ridiculous degree in the youth and reserve set ups...it doesn't mean they should have got a first team spot...and each one of them is now playing at a far lower level.

I would love to see what Gomes, Riley and Chong could do in the first team...however that is heart and sentiment talking and not good sense. Hopefully they get a shot. Gomes has had a brief taste, maybe Chong gets the same this season or next. They've got a long way to go in their development, and this needs to be judged by those in the know about the lads personally, who have known their daily training, routines, injuries, strengths, weaknesses and performance levels. They see them day in and day out.

The 99% issue is spot on. How many have we ever let go, or have not made it with us have gone on to bigger and better? Pogba. That was the only recent player that I think we could have played differently.

To suggest Chong could step up into the first team tomorrow and start burning past top level Premier League players is a ridiculously long stretch. We have no idea as casual watchers of the ressies or youth team how that would work. Keep calm and carry on. We could have a few gems on our hands if they knuckle down, work hard and get a little bit of luck.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Even Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal all interested in him when he was 16. Rashford needs a loan to continue his development, just like Kane did back in time but Rashford is a mile ahead of Kane at that age in 17-20. If Rashford's decision making has improved dramatically in few years, he could be a really dangerous striker, perhaps not the best striker in the world but has potential to do.
I would be quite interested to see what happens if Rashford went on loan to a mid level premier league club and played week in and week out as a striker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Imagine how quick he will be once he takes that parachute off? It's like Piccolo's training clothes.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I want him involved in the first team this season. Him and Gomes are very exciting, let’s hope they take any opportunities they’re given.

deafepl

I would be quite interested to see what happens if Rashford went on loan to a mid level premier league club and played week in and week out as a striker.
I need a stats for Rashford in the striker position, not left wing position so I can compare him to one of the top best 20 strikers in the world statically.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
One of Van Gaal's signings, credit to the guy not only did he promote some young players to the first team which United are seeing the benefits for now (Rashford/Lingard etc) he was also planning well into the future.
As if LvG had anything to do with this.

Classical Mechanic

He brought TFM in too.

Played Lingard in his first ever game in charge but he got injured and missed a lot of the season.

devips

With Fellaini's likely departure in the summer, we now know who to turn to fill up the shortfall in the 'hairs' department.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What a load of nonsense.
The only thing Rashford has over this kid right now is that he's part of the first team squad. Rashford was lucky he got a chance in the first team when we had a injury crisis during Van Gaals reign. Rashford is talented but is still raw and needs to improve facets of his game. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Chong outshines Rashford when he breaks into the first team.

Mr PG

The only thing Rashford has over this kid right now is that he's part of the first team squad. Rashford was lucky he got a chance in the first team when we had a injury crisis during Van Gaals reign. Rashford is talented but is still raw and needs to improve facets of his game. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Chong outshines Rashford when he breaks into the first team.
Technically, Tahith is quite better than Rashford tbh. but he's a winger and Rashford's a better striker. Both will make it here obviously as Rashford does things beyond his years but he's not a good dribbler nd that can sometimes blind fans to how good Rashers is. Tahith though will be exceptional.

mav_9me

Rashford loses the ball a lot when dribbling(his dribbles not exactly elegant) and this is the chief reason he struggles on the flanks.
The point is you are seeing Rashford lose the ball a lot at this level when he was a very good dribbler in the youth teams. Who is to know if Chong will carry over his dribbling skills at a higher level?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Hopefully a squad player next year with Gomes, TFM and Pereira. McTominay is not this level of talent.

Also, I’m not saying he’s better than Rashford, but at the same time, I don’t think he’s NOT better than Rashford simply because he’s 18 or whatever. Football isn’t linear like that. Given how good he was when he first arrived, R9 was probably the best player in the world when he was 14 or 15. Michael Owen too for example. Not every player follows the same path. History tells us that Chong perhaps won’t immediately have the same impact in the first team, but Rashford isn’t better than him just because he’s older and has played first team games.
Chong has more flair than McTominay and is more attack minded. McTominay will be coached into a Matic/Carrick role. No one is gonna compare Matic to Sanchez or Pogba because they have completely different attributes for their positions. McTominay may not be the most talented but he has the correct attitude which is why in my opinion he will have a better United career than Pereira. Januzaj is much more talented than McTominay but McTominay will have a better career.

redom

If he keeps putting in strong performances playing from the right then you would think he'd have a decent chance of getting considered for the first team squad further down the line as we don't have a huge number of options there (unless that's where Sanchez ends up) so hopefully he can build on this type of performance and give Mourinho some food for thought at least.

In Rainbows

The point is you are seeing Rashford lose the ball a lot at this level when he was a very good dribbler in the youth teams. Who is to know if Chong will carry over his dribbling skills at a higher level?
Chong's dribbling skills might suffer at first team level due to being weaker than the men playing and not being as fast relative to the level he's at right now. Unlike Rashford though, he won't lose the ball like Rashford does as his dribbling skill is much better. He has really good technique to carry the ball which is why it looks elegant.

SteveW

I doubt if LVG had anything to do with that signing.

dablem_10

Technically, Tahith is quite better than Rashford tbh. but he's a winger and Rashford's a better striker. Both will make it here obviously as Rashford does things beyond his years but he's not a good dribbler nd that can sometimes blind fans to how good Rashers is. Tahith though will be exceptional.
how you can compare performances in reserves to premierleague actually? its totally different level. Wilson also looked as world beater. He needs to wait for proper chance first, obviously he is talented, but saying has more talent than Rash is quite harsh and emotionally based

Reactions: KM

Nick7

The kid has a lot of promise but christ some of you need watch more videos of Best.
I don't think anyone is saying he'll be as good as Best

What a load of nonsense.
There's no point, mate. He'll be better than Rashford until he debuts, then when he goes through a bad patch or doesn't acclimatise instantly there'll be a youth player that's better than him.in every facet. Happens every single time an academy player comes through. it's absolute tosh saying Chong is better than Rashford.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
It has some validity and merit of course, but I’m just saying it isn’t impossible Chong is better than Rashford , in the same way Gomes probably more talented than Herrera or McTominay.
True, it's not impossible. It IS a massive jump to say the least though and you can see why people are saying it's silly.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'd say he'll probably be saved for the Youth League playoff in Serbia on Wednesday. I'd expect a young team for the u18s on Saturday and a relatively old team for the u23s on Sunday
Yeah, had just been thinking about Munich as well so should have remembered that, remember saying at the time of the draw it would be an emotional time for the team and staff to be in Belgrade on the 6th/7th February.