Take any one player at his peak from our past and put him in this team, who do you choose?

Well...

• Total voters

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
—————-Schmeichel—————-
—-Vidic - McGrath - Rio —-
—————-Carrick —————-
Beckham - Keane - Robson - Best
———-Cantona - Ruud ———-

Bench: scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Stam, kanchelskis, whiteside

from my memory of seeing them

that team would be hard as nails but could also play you off the park

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Went for King Eric - we lack creativity, we lack goals, we lack leadership

He gives all 3 in abundance

And I'm only considering those who I have seen play myself

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ronaldo would probably win us game single handedly
"Peak" Ronaldo was an out and out #9. I think any #9 struggles in this team because there's just no service.

davidmichael

Our main problems are and have been for a decade in midfield so for that reason I’d have to say Keane as we need someone who can lift the team, take the game by the scruff of its neck, dictate and organise and lead by example.

I think a lot of people forget just how good early Keane was after signing from Nottingham Forest as he was a complete midfielder who could dominate at either end of the pitch and had a good range of passing, obviously in his later years or post Cantona he was more of an organising defensive midfielder and the best in the game at that time but early Keane would dominate the league.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Gone with George Best with much deliberation as my answer kept changing. Ran through: Charlton, Robson, Keane, Law, RVN, Ronaldo and Cantona, but went with Best because he needs the least to thrive consistently whilst not only being a match-winner, but also someone who can attract two's and three's to him, leaving others in acres of space. Can also play anywhere you want across the attack - we have no RW and are struggling at both CF and LW - Best makes any of the positions potent and wherever you put him, creates all the space in the world for others to run into. Best doesn't need supply or slick play or even functional play around him, just the ball, and he's golden. Our team is moments supreme, so I think going for the biggest moments player is apt. All of the others are cut from a cloth where they don't need others to thrive, but Best is the definition of 'give him the ball and watch him go,' which also includes runs from deep.

I can see the logic behind Keane being the frontrunner, but his real thing is getting the optimal level out of a team, and I don't think our optimal level goes that high to be worth it over a forward who thrives in pressure cooker, all-by-myself scenarios. Best would be the Maradona of the team, for me, with the more pressure heaped on, the bigger the performance. I also think his graft serves as an inspiration for others, as getting stuck in and working really hard for the team was also a revered part of his game.

I initially thought I'd go for a central player, but not only do we need goals, our wide threat is diabolical.

MegadrivePerson

The main thing this team is lacking is goals. Even the likes of Everton and Forest have outscored us. If you put the 12/13 season Van Persie in this team we'd look significantly better.

Bwuk

"Peak" Ronaldo was an out and out #9. I think any #9 struggles in this team because there's just no service.
I've went off the assumption it was Ronaldos peak at United, which he was clearly a RW who won the Balon d'Or.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've went off the assumption it was Ronaldos peak at United, which he was clearly a RW who won the Balon d'Or.
Ah fair enough. Yeh I loved that version of Ronaldo. I know he went onto produce insane numbers as a striker but on the wing at United was when he was at his most exciting for sure.

black country red

Bryan Robson could defend bring the ball out great passer had pace and also a great at popping up with vital goals in fact a complete player would love him the team now

bitcoin

100% Ronaldo.

He was not a 'system player'. He literally could win games on his own, which would be the most useful attribute in our current dysfunctional team.

Not to mention he was entertaining to watch.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
100% Ronaldo.

He was not a 'system player'. He literally could win games on his own, which would be the most useful attribute in our current dysfunctional team.

Not to mention he was entertaining to watch.
Agreed.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Our main problems are and have been for a decade in midfield so for that reason I’d have to say Keane as we need someone who can lift the team, take the game by the scruff of its neck, dictate and organise and lead by example.

I think a lot of people forget just how good early Keane was after signing from Nottingham Forest as he was a complete midfielder who could dominate at either end of the pitch and had a good range of passing, obviously in his later years or post Cantona he was more of an organising defensive midfielder and the best in the game at that time but early Keane would dominate the league.
I had the pleasure of watching Roy Keane including when he first came to OT.
To some people he was mainly a hard man, which he indeed was.
But he never stopped running. Constantly moving primarily up and down.
Fantastic engine and an outstanding player who could motivate the rest of the team by his example.

Suv666

Our biggest problem is scoring you can have a mid of Pirlo, Xavi and Iniesta but if up top Antony, Rashford and Bruno can’t finish it means feck all.

Ronaldo is the only answer

ROFLUTION

It was between Cantona, peak Ronaldo and Rooney for me, but Rooney did it on all stages and was more of a team player which I think we need.

Keane for me wouldn't get us what we really need: Goals. He'd be a great engine and bind a lot of things together however. It's a difficult one.

justsomebloke

It was between Cantona, peak Ronaldo and Rooney for me, but Rooney did it on all stages and was more of a team player which I think we need.

Keane for me wouldn't get us what we really need: Goals. He'd be a great engine and bind a lot of things together however. It's a difficult one.
Plus he'd no doubt blow up the dressing room. He'd be right, but it would still be blown up.

Cantona feels like the intuitive choice for me - the right kind of leader.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Anyone voting Ronaldo is clueless.
This team needs a character like Keane or Robson to make them work. Ronaldo would walk off after 20 minutes waving his arms and moaning.

Tyrion

I picked Keane because I think Casemiros decline has been our biggest issue and the team is simply lazy. But if I was being selfish, I'd pick Edwards or Charlton because I never saw them play and I would love to be able to.

Ronaldo would walk off after 20 minutes waving his arms and moaning.
He almost did exactly that. :lol:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You do understand that United are 14th in goals scored?

However, on second thought, I might pick Rooney. His workrate and ability to drop deep in addition to goals would solve a lot of problems.
Keane wouldn't just dominate the most important area of the pitch, though. He'd improve every other position as well. He's the kind of leader our dressing room calls out for

Oranges038

You have to be kidding.
Roy Keane by a mile.
Yeap, Keane would sort out that midfield hole, his work rate, speed and tackling would cover for 2 players. Then you have his passing, especially his forward passing through the lines from midfield, which imo was always his most underrated quality, but in many ways it was probably his best quality.

Unam333

Definitely Roy Keane. Not only for his footballing qualities, but also his leadership and professionalism.

He was a world class midfielder. Usually with those world class players if the going gets tough they will leave the club.
I think Keane wouldn't quit the club if we are in a free fall. The likes of Ronaldo and even Rooney would have put in a transfer request.

mu4c_20le

Keane wouldn't just dominate the most important area of the pitch, though. He'd improve every other position as well. He's the kind of leader our dressing room calls out for
Roy would turn Antony into Garrincha.

M16Red

Yeap, Keane would sort out that midfield hole, his work rate, speed and tackling would cover for 2 players. Then you have his passing, especially his forward passing through the lines from midfield, which imo was always his most underrated quality, but in many ways it was probably his best quality.
Not just that, he was a captain and would bollock anyone for not passing forward if it was on.

Right now Keane for me.

Marcus

Has to be Keane. He counts as 2 players given the ground he covers and influence. This helps in our team which has too many passengers. On the other hand, if he gets red-carded, we would also be down by 2.

Josep Dowling

Put Roy in and you’re still have a lack of tracking back by the wingers. This team needs more goals. That’s why I went for Cantona, and the fact he’s a leader.